• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

"Junior, the most important thing you need to know about how the world works is..."

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
"Junior, the most important thing you need to know about how the world works is..."

If you could impart only one sentence of wisdom to a child of yours, based on everything you've experienced and concluded thus far in your life, what would it be? In this hypothetical situation, you're free to repeat this one piece of advice to your child any number of times, at any juncture in their childhood. But you can never change your mind -- you know in your bones that this piece of advice is not only timelessly true, but indisputably helpful for all people to keep in mind.

I know that not everyone here has kids or even wants them. In your case, just pretend. For those of you here who are parents, DO you find yourself shaking your finger in the air and saying the same maxim to your child frequently?

"Learn the art of distinguishing bad advice from good. Even mine.

Especially mine."

"Organized religion is the opiate of the masses. Disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."

And also, my all-time favorite quote, which I'd like to have as a tatt, but it's a bit long:

Robert Heinlein said:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

you'll understand when you're older

lol i hated that bullshit that my dad always gave me cause he was too lazy to explain things

Pick something and do it. If you dont try to achieve something in life you might end up feeling like you wasted your life.

And then i would say; trust me i know.

"Life is all about balance; work hard but play harder . . . all while being responsible and treating others with the same respect you'd expect from them.

oh, and you're adopted. BYE!"

The only thing separating holy writ, from complete and utter B.S. is your perspective; it's your best weapon in life, and if you always keep the safety off, you may find it will be the only weapon you'll ever need.

Believe in some kind of deity, spirit, higher power, higher consciousness, infinity, purity, unconditoned love, philosophy, religion, never take yourself too seriously, love your body, love your mind, love your soul, love your significant other, love your family, love your friends, love your animals, love nature, love the earth, love your galaxy, love your universe, love the cosmos, love all sentient beings that have lived, live and will live, love the eternal moment, love Jesus/Buddha/Krishna/God/Shiva. Go with the flow, don't fight it, everything is flux so don't hold on too tight, visualize and set your mind on it and life will bring it to you. Live your life with meaning. The question isn't always why, sometimes you just have to be. Don't take what anyone says as absolute truth, not even what I said. Search and you will find.

that life is bullshit. Its what you do with that shit that counts."

Both sexes.

Also Vonnegut seems pretty apt as addendum:

-To be the eyes and ears and conscience of the Creator of the Universe,
you fool.

" You are here to remember the love of who your are and you brought a piece of home to share with the world"

the world doesn't wait; seize the day or lose what it has to offer

"Everyone and everything dies."

Also, "Ketamine is not just for horses" ;)

Two parts:

• The core of the human psyche is identity. Do not fuck with another person's identity without compelling good reason. Most people have organized their identity through semi-autobiographical narratives. Do not fuck with their narratives without a compelling good reason.
  • If you are a noob in any sense, new employee, new student, new resident ETC. Shutup and listen! You will have invitations to give your take on things, do not do it! Even when you think you have a good model of a social system, six months later you will realize your original social model was naive and inadequate, if not completely faulty.
Edit: Fuck, OP requirement of one sentence didn't register til I reread the thread. One sentence: All human are able to convince themselves of about anything; no exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator: