• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Wall Street's bad deal — drug addiction

fruitfly

Bluelight Crew
NEW YORK - Wall Street’s push for record profits is ruining careers, tearing apart families and keeping drug dealers busy, mental health experts say.

While record bonuses make some Wall Street bankers feel invincible, others become emotional wrecks from pressure to perform and some hit rock bottom, experts say.

Harris Stratyner, a psychologist at Caron’s New York Recovery Center, said some executives he treats are experimenting with cocaine, opiate-based drugs, Ecstasy and marijuana, as well as abusing alcohol.

“It’s like they’re chasing a dream. Even when they make tremendous profits, they’re still worried,” he said.

Alden Cass, a clinical psychologist who counsels Wall Streeters with drug addictions, said drug abuse and high anxiety are undercurrents to the current boom.

“When things are really good, they feel invulnerable,” Cass said. “That can lead to adultery, substance abuse, problems with the law.”

When it comes to profits, things are really good.

Six of the largest U.S. investment banks — Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers, Citigroup, JPMorgan & Chase Co., Morgan Stanley and Bear Stearns — combined for $17.6 billion in first-quarter profit this year. That’s after shelling out $28.8 billion for pay and benefits, financial statements show.

Those profit and pay figures are more than double those seen in the first quarter of 2000, the last days before the dot-com bubble burst. New York’s comptroller estimates Wall Street’s 2006 bonuses will generate $1.6 billion in state tax revenue.

Cocaine and hillbilly heroin
“To my knowledge, we have not seen an uptick in drug use,” Morgan Stanley spokeswoman Jean Marie McFadden said.

The other five firms declined comment or did not return telephone calls.

But Cass said opiate abuse among his clients is rising and they openly talk about being hooked on prescription drugs like OxyContin, known as hillbilly heroin.

“That’s what has changed from previous booms on Wall Street,” he said.

Cass and Stratyner said their clients sometimes conceal their habits by taking prescription drugs they get for back surgery or sports-related injuries. The Internet has also expanded the black market for drugs.

Wall Street professionals in their 20s use Ritalin and Adderall, prescription drugs used to treat attention-deficit disorder and hyperactivity, to enhance their performance as they grind out 100-hour weeks, Cass said.

Big bonuses and the need to blow off steam have helped invigorate demand for cocaine in Manhattan, according to two junior bankers who did not want to be named.

Juan Rodriguez, convicted of selling drugs to investment bankers and other professionals, said his clients never complained about the price of cocaine, even as it escalated.

“My customers were all business individuals,” Rodriguez said, citing Morgan Stanley bankers as among his clients.

Morgan Stanley said the company has a strong policy against substance abuse and uses random drug testing.

Passing the test
One hiring manager at a major New York bank said new staff must take a urine test, which is typical for the industry. But he said new hires can choose when to schedule the test during a 45-day period before their start date.

“Our drug test is not so much a test of whether you actually take drugs as it is an intelligence test to see if you can figure out how long it takes to get traces of the drug out of your system,” said the manager, who asked not to be named.

The hiring manager said his employer also had a policy of random drug tests for employees but that in several years he had never encountered anyone subjected to such a test.

Drugs are not the only reason for executive meltdowns.

Overwhelming pressure and anxiety to meet profit goals undid star trader David Becker as he rose the Citigroup ladder.

Nine months after becoming global commodities chief, Becker found himself on the fast track to prison. The largest U.S. bank discovered in 2004 that Becker and others conspired to overstate profits by $20 million.

Becker, 41, pleaded guilty and is serving a 15-month sentence in federal prison. He declined to comment.

Before he committed his crime, he sought psychiatric help to deal with the pressure of balancing family and career, court papers show.

A metaphor for his life was a painting he owned depicting a man being pulled by all four limbs, Becker’s psychiatrist, Dr. Barbara Deutsch, wrote to the judge in the case.

“He felt enormous pressure to make the group’s budget at all costs,” Deutsch wrote. “He felt identified with this tortured man.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wall Street's bad deal — drug addiction
Substance abuse, anxiety are undercurrents to recent boom, experts say

Reuters
June 18, 2007

Link

Ahhh the "pressures" of being a Wall Street trader.

Give me a fucking break.

Bunch of whining bastards.

How about the pressure of being an ex-con with no available options but to sell drugs for a living.

or of being a bright but druggie fuck up with no options other than fastfood drug dealing or the army. I tried the first two now I'm trying the last option.

Hmm maybe if you or whoever is a ex-con didn't break the law, in the first place you could get a real job..Not to say drug dealers are bad people..I know most of them are dealing because its easy money..which I don't blame you..but too call a bunch of people who actully have a job a bunch of whinners is not fair in my own view.

Of course they are whinners.

I mean I am stupid for being a felon, but my life is much more of a pain in the ass than some wall street trader who takes oxy to relax at night.

I just find it hard to feel bad for them.

Most of them are probably smarter than me, and did the right thing to have an easy life, but I am not going to sit and listen to them bitch.

Just because they're rich doesnt mean that their substance abuse isn't any less real than someone who isn't rich or privileged. A lot of those guys are over worked and are constantly under pressure. They're not much different than the middle America tweak addict who works an 80 hour work week.

No joke, in I-Banking an 80 hr week is typical. I know why they do it, but jeez talk about stress...

ive never known or meet a middle american tweak addict that works 80 hour weeks...most of them cant even keep a job nevermind working 80 hours.

Funny how when the upper income bracket abuses drugs, they are portrayed as "victims of pressure of wall street" yet when the very same drugs are abused by low income masses, those are usually portrayed as worthless junkie scum.

Hmmmmmmm.....................

** insert roll eyes smiley**

And to posters above : What is the difference between these people and "normal" middle class drug users ?

1. They can actually AFFORD the drugs
2. If things get out of hand they can AFFORD a posh rehab facility
3. Do you see the pattern ............?

And when one of those rich bastids needs to go through WD he can hole up in his mansion and soak in a hottub 24/7 while the butlers maids and chefs handle everything for him.

When destitute welfare bob needs to WD he has to do it in an apartment with no heating, not hot water, and no furniture but a foam mattress on the floor.
He also has to keep working and keep getting his own food whatever, is it any wonder why one manages to succeed while the other doesn't?

weather your some dude toiling in a factory, or a banker on wall street, you are a tool, a commodity, and expendable worker, to use up, make as much money out of you before you burn up.

anyone that works 100 work weeks, isn't loving life enough.

Crazze, that may be because people on wallstreet are actully doing things and making real money and not living the slums shooting dope all day working just to buy more dope. Im sure you can see the diffrence. But you also show a good point that..it is really a matter of where you live and if you live in the ghetto your gonna be veiwed as less of a victim than someone who is working on wallstreet. Also drugs on wallstreet, are somewhat a new thing to most people where crack and Heroin have been in the ghetto's and slum's for 30+ years. I guess thats just the world we live in.

100 hour work weeks? Damm the most i have pulled off is 60hour, and thats me working 12 hours a day. Surprised there not doing meth. lol ...like 100 hours..c`mon take a break and live.

fruitfly said:
Juan Rodriguez, convicted of selling drugs to investment bankers and other professionals, said his clients never complained about the price of cocaine, even as it escalated.
Wait a second... since when has the price of cocaine escalated? Where? It's cheap around here, but the quality is utter & complete shite. I'm not "complaining" about the quality, just not buying it any more.

Drug addiction is drug addiction. If your going to judge the wallstreet employees than your no better yourself. Why does everyone always has to make a comparison, every single time, about they don't care if wealthy people go through withdrawl. Just because there wealthy doesn't mean you have to be a hater.

I'd imagine that many of these IB types basically sacrifice their youth on the altar of $$$, only to find that money does not equal happiness--well, I'd be pretty disillusioned and spiritually dead by the age of 35 if that was me.

And 35 to 40 is the age when many of them marry or start families, which brings up a whole new set of doubts and pressure: "would they still love me if I was poor?" etcetera. It's NOT a mentally healthy life at all.
Of course, some people are just assholes who care more about money than anything else, while others' are just buying into some form of social expectiations from how they were raised.

lurkerguy said:
Of course they are whinners.

I mean I am stupid for being a felon, but my life is much more of a pain in the ass than some wall street trader who takes oxy to relax at night.

I just find it hard to feel bad for them.

Most of them are probably smarter than me, and did the right thing to have an easy life, but I am not going to sit and listen to them bitch.

you are an even bigger whiner than them just for your info. you've probly never worked an honest day in your life.

And when one of those rich bastids needs to go through WD he can hole up in his mansion and soak in a hottub 24/7 while the butlers maids and chefs handle everything for him.

yea no crap - cuz he worked his balls off to get where he is. you people are delusional..

btw Crazee nobody is justifying their behavior but I personally have a lot more respect for somebody busting their balls on the market making a career and earning profits than some low life shooting junk just to get high constantly. There's a difference even though their behavior has similarities.

aanallein said:
you are an even bigger whiner than them just for your info. you've probly never worked an honest day in your life.

yea no crap - cuz he worked his balls off to get where he is. you people are delusional..

btw Crazee nobody is justifying their behavior but I personally have a lot more respect for somebody busting their balls on the market making a career and earning profits than some low life shooting junk just to get high constantly. There's a difference even though their behavior has similarities.
I have more respect for a junky getting high, than someone selling guns or oil.