• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Wall Street's bad deal — drug addiction

lurkerguy said:
Of course they are whinners.

I mean I am stupid for being a felon, but my life is much more of a pain in the ass than some wall street trader who takes oxy to relax at night.

I just find it hard to feel bad for them.

Most of them are probably smarter than me, and did the right thing to have an easy life, but I am not going to sit and listen to them bitch.
you really think that wall street traders have an easy life? That's a real interesting pov

JerryBlunted said:
because you physically could not perform that type of work without endangering yourself or others for that many hours per week. with or without drugs.

I've seen some people that worked insane hours doing physical labor when young, when they are old they become pill hounds always complaining of pain basically the stars have to align and everything has to go right for them to even be able to walk without pain.

I'd rather put in 100 hours of mentally exhausting work, rather then 100 hours of physically exhausting work that is going to leave me wheelchair bound in 25 years.

Investment banking is a very difficult and competitive industry, with really intense standards for people who work in the field. The culture of the industry takes a demanding toll on the people, with long hours and intense stress.

How can you possibly deride the work they do, and praise a laborer? Both are important jobs, but investment banking requires knowledge and intelligence far beyond construction. It's more a matter of different problems, and different skills. A banker makes a lot of money, but has to work long hours. Construction workers need much more physical ability.

The article is addressing a much needed issue in Investment Banking's culture, and perhaps our society in general; how much is your health, and your life, worth?

Would you sell ten years of your life for 1 Million? How about only five years for 2 Million?

We all sell ourselves, and anyone who doesn't is lying.

The real question is what's your price? $10 an hour? Certainly not me ;)

jonO_O said:
Would you sell ten years of your life for 1 Million? How about only five years for 2 Million?

5 years off my life span for 2 million? SIGN ME UP!

A better comparison to this type of behavior would be the Trucking industry and its prevalent use of stimulants rather than simply junkies getting high to get high. People probably have the same attitude towards truckers as they do wallstreet types or even doctors abusing uppers to get by during their work in the ER.

jonO_O said:
Investment banking is a very difficult and competitive industry, with really intense standards for people who work in the field. The culture of the industry takes a demanding toll on the people, with long hours and intense stress.

How can you possibly deride the work they do, and praise a laborer? Both are important jobs, but investment banking requires knowledge and intelligence far beyond construction. It's more a matter of different problems, and different skills. A banker makes a lot of money, but has to work long hours. Construction workers need much more physical ability.

The article is addressing a much needed issue in Investment Banking's culture, and perhaps our society in general; how much is your health, and your life, worth?

We all sell ourselves, and anyone who doesn't is lying.

The real question is what's your price? $10 an hour? Certainly not me ;)

the first statement you make could be applied to nearly any field if you swap out investment banking for contracting, medicine, child care, etc. all fields have demands and at the higher end of any field these demands increase, hence the higher payout. investment bankers may put in longer hours, but their hours are offset by the lesser physical exertion. i don't feel particularly bad for investment bankers, or at least not moreso than any other hardworking individual who is feeling the squeeze from work intruding on other parts of their lives.

i did not deride anyone's work. however, i certainly see building homes for people to live in as far more honorable than shuffling paper from one side of an imaginary line to another, manipulating the economy to create money for the wealthy investor class. society has a basic need for only one of those two fields, am i right or wrong? that said, in the modern capitalist economy, of course someone needs to do investment banking, its a perfectly legitimate field, and i don't think anyone who was discussing seriously and not making childish "fuck bankeerrrrzzzz" statements said otherwise.

and as for that last "how much is your life worth" shot. i'll tell you one thing, unless you are an absolute bottom run laborer on a shitty crew, you ought to be making far more than 10 dollars an hour. thats what i made when i was in high school. illegal immigrants get paid 10 bucks an hour or more for unskilled labor where i live.

It's Actually Probably .0 - Favours....

I really souldn't bother,
but arn't
1. oil
b. arms
&
III. narcotics*
the three most traded
commodities in the world.

Surely they play are role in Gecko-Land.

*(includin' caffeine,
somethin' that,
even without the coke
& "hillbilly heroin",
*shudder*
well,
if it dropp'd off the stage,
would Wall Street [et al.]
be able to get up/stay up 80+ workin'...)

confused-smiley-007.gif

PEACE
UnS

Wealthy investor: I trade the profit leeched from the backs of working human beings that are misrepresented economically for my own profit. When I do drugs, my occupational stress is blamed for such behavior.

Regular worker: I work (mostly physically) and get paid shit. When I do drugs, I'm to blame without exception.

well how do you think that wealthy investor got to where they are? they were regular workers too once and were "to be blamed without exception" at one point in their lives. but they took it upon themselves to move up to a higher income bracket where society views them differently.

so if that regular worker wants to change their situation then they will take it upon themselves to do so. if they decide to stay that way their whole life, it's their perogative. it's really up to their own decisions.

and don't give me any of that BS about some people don't have the means to change things or can't do it or whatever. you find a way. you do it.....that is....if you truly want it bad enough.

this thread makes me laugh. :)

The Wall Street haters make me laugh even more.

If it wasn't for the professionals pulling 100 hour shifts, you would need alot more than a couple of spliff to make your miserable and unproductive lives a little more bearable.

You have no idea what you're talking about. It's a world neither understand or are part of.

The only thing that gets me through an all nighter is being safe in the knowledge that I will be retired at 53 with a huge pension and the satisfaction that I was truly good at something.

kappadaftie said:
this thread makes me laugh. :)

The Wall Street haters make me laugh even more.

If it wasn't for the professionals pulling 100 hour shifts, you would need alot more than a couple of spliff to make your miserable and unproductive lives a little more bearable.

You have no idea what you're talking about. It's a world neither understand or are part of.

The only thing that gets me through an all nighter is being safe in the knowledge that I will be retired at 53 with a huge pension and the satisfaction that I was truly good at something.
maybe if you focused less on making money and doing blow you could write sentences that make sense.

Dont forget that the rich make their money off the hard work of the poor.

yea no crap - cuz he worked his balls off to get where he is. you people are delusional..

You are acting like these people all work their balls off to get where they are. No ones dad is the head of the firm, no ones uncle knows the vice president, no ones faminly connections set them up with the job as soon as they got out of their (bought-the-acceptance-letter) education at harvard?

Many people work mad hard to get where they are at but i bet if you took a survey of where they come from and how they got there it wasnt necessarily the touching story of a shoeless kid from east new york who worked at mcdonalds so hard that he put himself thru business school, and then styeadily rose thru the ranks from good and honest american hard work to be at the top of his game today. more like, was affluent, went to college, made connections, found job from connections, got promoted, etc...I aint sayin theres somethin wrong with knowing people who can hook you up with work it happens everyday in every class and field of work. im just sayin, what makes you believe in the righteousness nobility and honor of wall street? everyone knows its corrupt and backstabbing as shit. and to act like the people there were just a buncha regular Joe Shmoe's who had the dream of investment banking burning in their heart and wouldnt let nothin stop them from following their dream is just stupid. that aint the majority of people there.

. and if busting your ass means making phone calls, sittin at a desk, yelling at people, gettin stressed cuz your somethin didnt get somewhere by the deadline, ordering expensive suits, lookin at your date book and scheduling meetings, talking to other people who do the same thing, i dont get the "busting your ass" part of that. More like, sit on your ass for a long time and get paid terrifyingly huge sums of money for it...Bustin your ass is hauling shit around, loading trucks, carrying babies all over the place, scrubbin floors, flippin burgers, cuttin metal, hammerin nails. not well dressed in a luxurious piece of expensive cloth waitin for a flight. Its stress and its a lot of runnin around. but i got much more respect for someone who sweats n bleeds (to put it figuratively.) than someone who stresses alot and runs around .like stress is a status symbol or somethin.

this is one of them things that i can only feel so sorry for. Yea, you got alot of pressure. and work 100 hours. Those are hours you choose to work. If someones workin 80 hours a week for 3 part time jobs just to get by, they cant choose that. they do what they got to do. these dudes could comfortably retire at any moment yet they choose to keep goin after more and more money, and that , is quite simply GREED.

Stress begot from greed is a fair trade off IMO. you pay the price. that is their cross to bear.

Last edited:
9mmCensor said:
maybe if you focused less on making money and doing blow you could write sentences that make sense.

lol. it's called a typo dude.

Dont forget that the rich make their money off the hard work of the poor.

Utter nonsense. What a completely absurd view.

Yea, bein a self satisifed fool.

a fool? maybe. But no more than anyone else.

self satisfied? no. I make everyone around me happy in anyway i can. My own success has made my family happy and continues to do so. I can look after my family now and provide for them. My satisfaction comes from being good at something and using the fruits of my labour to benefit anyone i care about.

You are acting like these people all work their balls off to get where they are

maybe in many situations. But as for mine, you have absolutely no idea.

and if busting your ass means making phone calls, sittin at a desk, yelling at people, gettin stressed cuz your somethin didnt get somewhere by the deadline, ordering expensive suits, lookin at your date book and scheduling meetings, talking to other people who do the same thing

erm no. That's what you watch on TV.

In real life those things are just side products of your job.

money is a dissociative drug. the more you get of it, the more it distances you from reality.

you think that rich people don't make money off of poor peoples work? What do you think employment is? Unless your the CEO of where ever you work, someone richer that you, is making money off you because you are poorer than them. same thing happens with the waltons and the greeter at walmart, or a drug lord and a drug mule, or whoever runs mcdonalds and kids bustin their ass for minimum wage.

9mmCensor said:
What do you think employment is? Unless your the CEO of where ever you work, someone richer that you

actually, a CEO is an officer of a company, the members own it and take the profits.

Also, employment is good for employees, since otherwise they would be UNemployed.

kappadaftie said:
actually, a CEO is an officer of a company, the members own it and take the profits.

Also, employment is good for employees, since otherwise they would be UNemployed.
CEO work for the company at the upper echelons of its rank structure, and are often part owners of the companies they are employed by, and do make a generous salary or benefits package, far better than the lowly "workers". I think you would be hard pressed to find a CEO that didn't own some of the company he worked for.

Also slavery is good for slaves, since otherwise they wouldn't have some hut to live in and some mush to eat at night.

kappadaftie said:
fucking hell, your views baffle me.
awesome. think about them. break it down logically. examine and research both views, and the arguments for and against each. draw your own conclusions.

lacey k said:
You are acting like these people all work their balls off to get where they are. No ones dad is the head of the firm, no ones uncle knows the vice president, no ones faminly connections set them up with the job as soon as they got out of their (bought-the-acceptance-letter) education at harvard?

Many people work mad hard to get where they are at but i bet if you took a survey of where they come from and how they got there it wasnt necessarily the touching story of a shoeless kid from east new york who worked at mcdonalds so hard that he put himself thru business school, and then styeadily rose thru the ranks from good and honest american hard work to be at the top of his game today. more like, was affluent, went to college, made connections, found job from connections, got promoted, etc...
Very common misconception - people always have this idea that rich people are rich because it's all family connections, and all inherited cash. The truth of the matter is that the majority of american millionaire households are first generation rich.

9mmCensor said:
you think that rich people don't make money off of poor peoples work? What do you think employment is? Unless your the CEO of where ever you work, someone richer that you, is making money off you because you are poorer than them. same thing happens with the waltons and the greeter at walmart, or a drug lord and a drug mule, or whoever runs mcdonalds and kids bustin their ass for minimum wage.
Yes, rich people tend to own businesses, and profit from their business. Their profit is correlated to their company's success. They offer employment at their company, to be compensated by whatever they feel is a fair wage, and people who agree to the wage and the job will work there.

The way you state it is so misleading it's not funny. You make it seem like it's this slavery thing. You try to give the impression that the boss' of companies just sit around in their office, never did anything, never do anything, just watch cash come in. That's not how it goes. They had to work hard to get where they were, and they had to take on great risk to build great companies. But they chose to take the risk, and build a great company, and succeeded.