• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is DARE class Really helping todays children???

herbalchef

Bluelighter
DARE=1. Drug Abuse Resistance Education!!!! Or = 2.Drugs Are Really Excellent

I chose #2. Ever since DARE class I remember being interested in drugs. A fat cop in a badge tells me in 5th grade to stay away from these evil things. Well why officer should I stay away from these drugs? Cop tells me, "i'll tell you why." He pops in a video one day, about marijuana the gateway drug! UH OH!!! marijuana that sounds like a cool name. These kids on the video start laughing and being sleepy and a bunch of shit like that. Later on in DARE class he told us we had to do these plays about drugs and stuff. I was like great. Well the drug I get is LSD. I was the kid supposed to be hooked on LSD. I started acting like a bird. I was like you guys want to do some acid, and their part of the play was to say no to drugs. Anyways my point to this whole thing is This DARE class tuned me into drugs more then out.

What do you people think?????????

Is the Class "helping or hurting"????

I will be the first to say it helped turn me on to drugs. I was very curious as to why we shouldnt do it. So, a few weeks into the dare program me and a few other kids from my lutheran school decided to try it. Of course I caught the rap for it, but hey I still got my dare certificate.:D

I stayed away from drugs for a long time b/c of the propaganda and myths that I heard from my parents and groups like DARE. My mom was an ER nurse so she'd always spin all the "drugs are bad" speeches on me and i'm glad that it kept me away, b/c if I was doing the drugs that I'm doing now when I was 12 or 13 I'd be a much more sorry case than I am now ;)

For the most part, DARE is fighting a losing battle.........it, in part, kept me away from drugs for like 3 maybe 4 years, but a faceless group with a "don't experience life for yourself, let us tell you what's good and bad" approach only lasts on impressionable young minds for so long. :\

DARE is a complete piece of shit, in my opinion, and in the opinions of many scientists who've done studies on it.

The biggest effect that they have found DARE to have is to decrease the mean starting age of marijuana use in kids. Yes, that's right folks, it makes kids more likely to try drugs.

Here's one article that cites many of the studies proving DARE to be ineffective. if I had more time I could find you the actual studies, but a bit of Googling can get you them.

Blow DARE.

I think the worst thing that my parents ever did to steer me away from drugs was take me to "Just Say No" rallies and enroll me in the DARE program.

It just made me more curious about drugs and when I got to the age of rebellion, I tried them.

If I ever have kids, I would never pour anti-drug propoganda down their throats.

The first time I heard (in a DARE type program) that LSD could make you smell colors and taste sounds I wrote down "must try LSD before I die" on this little piece of paper I had lying around.

I think that says it all.
The stuff about cocaine interested me too, I wasn't fucking interested in ecstasy though. I thought you have like a one in ten chance of dying, so I figured that wasn't worth it.

I just remember it being a pain in the ass with all the extra work it gave me as a 5th grader to write stories and pledges, stuff like that. I'm sure my 5th grade self thought it was bullshit as that's just the kinda kid I was. Btw, what good is a pledge if you are forced to make it??

I think for those who are more likely to use drugs anyways, those who would inevitably do it, it does nothing and may speed up the process of using. Those who would believe and follow it, arnt likely to use drugs with or without DARE.

sexyanon said:
So what should be done instead of DARE? No drug education?

I think it should be up to the parents. I personally wouldn't tell my kids that drugs are bad. If they asked me about drugs, I would make sure that they would use responsibly if they are going to use.

I think a big reason as to why a lot of people try drugs is curiosity and rebellion. If they weren't told not to use drugs, there would be less children trying drugs just to rebel.

I didnt have any sorta DARE thing - but the reason i tried drugs is because i was curious. So being told stuff a lot like this DARE thing prob would have made me more curious and wdant to investigate it all myself... as i have done

It just made me curious about drugs cause before then I really did know anything about them.

Never really thought about it until now. Well, I do drugs I think that is enough to say it doesnt help LoL! I remember sitting in class and them showing us that paper with all the harmful things in cigarrettes... that didn't do much I smoke now. Anyway's when they told us about all these drugs it just made me more curious.

DASE taught me what drugs I wanted to try and actually sparked my interest in drugs (especially lsd)...

obsolete, go to a thrift store, I can almost gaurentee you'll find one. DARE to me was just like the rest of school - I bullshitted my way through it and didnt really learn anything.

Well that sucks...
We dont get taught like that at school.
We have poopage sex ed .... Then fire safety and stuff.
*Envy* damness.