• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is DARE class Really helping todays children???

ducks said:
obsolete, go to a thrift store, I can almost gaurentee you'll find one. DARE to me was just like the rest of school - I bullshitted my way through it and didnt really learn anything.

ive come to the conclusion that most ppl didnt learn much, except that there are alot of 'cool' drugs out there to try ;)

My mom is an alocoholic, and so is my father and my dad smokes pot too. They've done it all my life and I've been aware for many years, and actively having to intervene on my moms part, when she's drunk. So naturally, going into DARE, I already knew quite abit about addiction, drugs etc. The sad thing was, I knew more about alcohol addiction than my officer.

D.rugs
A.re
R.eally
E.xcellent

I remember in dare class they were telling us stories about how the cop that was my dare teacher busted some guy with 6 hay bails of weed at a local church. I couldn't believe at such a young age someone got arrested for something that is a plant. Supposively DARE
Drugs Are Really Expensive they'll cost you your life.:(

I'm cleaning out tons of shit, preparing to pack everything I need and move out. Going through my dilapadated bookcase, I flipped past something that caught my eye - a DARE Certificate of Achievement from 6th grade.

It says

[My name] has completed the cirriculum in Drug Abuse Resistance Education and has made a personal comitment to avoid the pressures to begin using drugs.

And I held up my end of the bargain just fine - there was no pressure =D

I'm from the suburbs, drugs didn't make their rounds until high school, so 6th grade brainwashing is already long gone.

DARE is bullshit, they tell lies... i think it would help if they where more honest, because not even a 5th grader is going to believe all the shit about marijauna

I never graduated DARE. To graduate that class, people had to write some fucking essay and I just didn't write one. And the officer lady was like "If you don't want to read, someone else in the class could read it for." I just said I didn't have it and the pig lady didn't say anything else, hah.

I remember acting out in those skits too. Definitely made me curious about drugs.

I'm just trying to picture a bunch of fifth graders doing lines of coke, ripping bongers, tripping on acid, and shooting up heroin. That could be the only reason DARE class works. Who knows?

DARE was the first time I saw drugs and learned how they are used.

Boy did that stuff "marijuana" really fascinate me!

LOL... what a waste of tax money.

DARE was retarded as hell, i learned nothing in that class besides how cool it seemed to try these things called "drugs". the whole basis for me even trying pot was the fact that a police officer tried to tell me not to do it, which just made me even more willng to go out and blaze one up. Drugs Are Really Excellent, and thats for damn sure

I asked my little brother the other day if he'd been through DARE. Apparently, with all the budget cuts and shit, around here DARE has turned into a one day, 30 minute presentation. He said, "They just told us to say no. They didn't even say why. It was gay. I know I'll never do drugs though. They're dumb." ...Reminds me of me a few years ago haha.

^true that I thought I was never going to do drugs!!!! Well, I guess that is just what I told everyone!

related reading: Beyond The Blackboard: DARE's Failure

"Studies have consistently shown that DARE has no significant effect on student drug use.

Estimated costs of DARE annually is $1 to 1.3 billion.
"

surely DARE is a prime example of he government caring more about being seen to be doing rather than actually doing something?

alasdair

not sure how often you browse this forum, i fixed a missing bracket..

Last edited by a moderator:
personally dare never helped me, i remember hearing about all these different drugs and all the effects of them and at that point i made a list of all the drugs i wanted to try and when. i never fulfilled that list but i have done some stuff of it.as far as others go many of the people that took the course with me in elementary school also have done their share of drugs yet many others didn't. it may have been for their personal convictions or it could have been what the cops told them in dare scared them. either way i don't think that dare is a vitally important program people will do what they want to do regardless of if someone tells them its wrong and or bad.

The strange shit is all the drugs I wanted to try after taking DARE are the ones I haven't found yet. It's all the drugs that I was effectively scared away from then that now, years later, I am taking.

I've joked around with friends while getting high, like "a teenager high on pot is about as common as a DARE bumper sticker at an NA meeting parking lot"!

Anyway, I too remember anti-drug movies in like 4th grade. I recall one in particular where the theme song mimicked some childhood song like "ring-around-rosies" or something like that. It went something like....

Marijuana, marijuana
some people smoke it
other people toke it
why don't you....?

that was the chorus anyway....hehe!

I'm all for drug education, but DARE isn't education, it's lies, and worse it's lies that will hurt kids later when they eventually do try drugs and know nothing about them. The program should be cut or should change its focus from lies and stigmatization to education and harm reduction.