Your Productions Go Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow im glad to see this idea really took off on its own...i haven't been backhere in a while but its good to see the progress!

I have a few tunes i am working on myself.....well, fitting that time in between 5 days of school and 4 of work...but its nice, i find that no matter what, everytime i go back to the music i see more and more of the vision. the longest tune i have right now is about 3 minutes long, and im in no hurry to push that any faster...i like the natural progression im seeing...anyways, cheers to you all for keeping up and building this idea up so well...i hope it has helped some of you really excel in your production capabilities:)

hi all.. i just put a brand spankin' new track up, and i'm pretty pleased with it. i'm terrible at categorizing my music, but there are smatterings of house, electro and idm in it..

i'd be very happy if anyone felt the urge to listen and/or comment at it.. as soon as i get time, i'm going to write some reviews myself. we have some very talented people here.

the track's called "faded" and is at:

http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=6801

thanks!

Last edited:
hard trance artists makes a trance track?

Hello all!!

Welp. Usualy i write hard trance but i was in a trancy mood so i remixed one of my hard trance/hard style trakcs into a sort'a prog sounding trance track..

This is the first time i've done this and i would love some feedback from you lovely people

it's called moment of clairty (sunday mix) and you can get it from http://www.djdeux.tk

thanks for your time guyz

Aja909, physix.. glad you guyz liked 'yes i do'. It was amazing hearing it coming out of a loud PA @ Syanpse 4.. :D

doomsdayboy: nice track. the amen chopping is done really well and i'm impressed you were able to get that much variation out of FL. there are some rolling accents in the drums that sound conga like that i really dig.. the vocal samples are used quite well. the mastering is tight and clean. the bit around 2:43 i really enjoyed too.. i might add an extra really low kick every few bars (maybe an 808?) to give a little more oomph to the drums as they're pretty mid-heavy at the moment. there's a bass pattern you use once in a while that's really cool but disappears too often.. also, that sustained bass pad patern that is filtered and used throughout most of the track could be a touch quieter and have maybe a little more low-end.. also, because it is essentially your lead instrument, i think there are a couple things you could do to make the track less repetitive.. you could either drop it out more often or try adding varying amounts of distortion throughout the track to "rough it up" a bit.. another tactic would be to gate it once in a while in time to the rhythm.. i think that would sound really cool..

anyways, it's a good track so don't take these suggestions as criticisms so much as ideas to make it even better. keep at it..

more reviews of other bluelight artists, in reverse order, to come (as i get time - which i don't have enough of at the moment)..

billyb: i can't access your track. is it called "Fast Forward.mp3"? i think the space in the title of the track is confusing internet explorer..

dante: regarding arsehouse.. i don't know about the french tag, but it's an enjoyable track nonetheless.. i like how the drums are distorted but still sound warm without being muddy.. the hihat sounds has a really cool overtone to it that drives the rhythm track forward..
the retro acid stuff works for me too and has enough variation to keep it interesting.. and i'm sure that rumbling low end bit when the beat drops out in the latter third of the track would sound great on a big system.. everything about the track is cool, but there's not enough of it.. i wanted to hear something in the high end.. maybe some bleeps, or a simple pitch-bending high-end melody done with a distorted sine wave sound or square wave sound.. maybe a few clanky syncopated drum accents wouldn't be amiss..

the tracks already well on it's way to being an updated acid-house stomper a la LFO (the warp electronic act, not the boy band) and with a couple more sounds i think it would be all the way there...

heya hardcore junky.. i'm way too old and chill to listen to much hardcore, but i did have a roommate once who was a hardcore dj, so i'll review your track "speedfreak" (it being the most recent).. i've decided to review at least one track of every new post made here..

so, yeah, though it's been years since i've heard a hardcore set, it's comforting to see that the "kickdrum distorted to the point of becoming almost a square wave" sound is still a major component of the genre. that sound immediately says hardcore to me..

i really liked the arrangement. there were a lot of twists and turns and rolls and rhythmic accents that kept it interesting. that's hard to do when working at such an accelerated bpm. the bits where the beat dropped out, for example at around 2.5 minutes, really increased the amount of interest for the track and also emphasized the amount of detail work in your processing. there were lots of squealing, abrasive sounds but they kept being altered and tweaked and so it felt like there was a progression and evolution within the track. despite the number of breakdowns, it never seems to lose track of maintaining a high level of energy. there's a lot of detail and changes within the music and it all seems to occur logically without being forced. based on personal taste, i may have not liked this as much as some of the other bluelight tracks i've heard, but at the same time, i feel that it's more complete. if you're reaching for the sound i think you are, i think you're there and i can't really recommend anything worth mentioning that you should change.

dyscotopia - faded: just having a listen to this now... I'm loving the subbassline and percussion. Such slick sounding production man. So much happening and changing, yet no real clashing. If anything, the kick sounds a bit old & overused analog at times, but if that's what you were after, bingo.At times some of the layers seem to fade all of a sudden and perhaps a tad too abruptly, but apart from that it's too nice. It is Xmas, so I'm a tad busy, but I'll have a listen to some of your other stuff soon :) Keep up the good work.

Devil in the Detail

I'm finally finished after a long grueling week of programming.
My head hurts, and I have lost countless hours of sleep tweaking the ins and outs of this track. It's breaks. Drummers in particular I think will appreciate this as the drum programming is insane. I have to say I'm quite satisfied with it. The mastering is not complete as of yet, because I have to pare a bunch of the individual lows and highs down for it to be suitable for vinyl, but this is the ideal sound of the song.

enjoy
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=336886&T=7235

producers, post links to your latest tracks here

I'd like to see enough links to where I can make an 80 minute 'bluelight' compilation. any styles, the more varied the better. here's one for the drum n bass heads...

Stay Puft- This Is Not Drum N Bass (free download)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/staypuftmusic.htm

...get linkin, everyone... I'd love to have this compilation ready by the New Year to play at a kickin' house party
%)

seven deep: congrats on a very slick, high energy breaks track.. definitely a heat-seeking missile for dancefloor detonation (sound like a PR man don't i? :) ) ... the drum breaks are really well engineered, they have a crispy clarity but still enough grit to be interesting.. i know what you mean about the mastering.. if this is a vinyl directed track it probably needs more dynamic compression to spin well, but it sounds great on my monitors.. those bass drops would probably kick serious butt on a big system. anyways, very slick stuff though also very biased towards rhythm and drums. there's almost no melodic content to speak of, but new interesting sounds are introduced on a regular basis which makes up for that and in a packed club or the right kind of party, i doubt anyone would notice. good work.

dante: many thanks for the kind words and constructive feedback. glad you dug it. the other tracks on the site are a bit less finished. i've only recently gotten myself focused enough on thinking of tracks as complete pieces instead of figuring it's enough to just string together a few ideas i find interesting . i think the other stuff i've got in progress will be worth waiting for. i know what you mean about the layers dropping in and out rather abruptly at points. instead of prearranging stuff i like to just overdub sounds and loops multiple times until i'm (mostly) satisfied. it means i can get some nice spontaneous unplanned results, but also can make for some pretty shaky transitions. as for the kickdrum. yeah, it's not too inspiring, and i played with some others, but i found anything more distinctive was too distracting and made the track sound too dense.

anyways, you seem to have a lot of good insight into music, so i'll be listening to more of your tunes, but it'll take a day or two for me to give more feedback as i'm working 7am-9pm tomorrow (boxing day sales.. a canadian tradition) and expect to be completely burnt out afterwards..

now somebody post a really terrible track so i can give it a bad review. i don't want anyone to think i'm unobjective!

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback.....

I do have alot of work to do with the low end levels before I can send this off for pressing. I thought about adding a little more in the way of a reasonable melody while I was piecing the sounds together, but that's never been my strong point.....plus the underlying intent of the song was to sort of depict a drummer who doesnt know the meaning of "holding back" so I figured I'd just mold everything into a percussive counterpoint. I might think about boosting the levels of the buzzing synth towards the end and pulling back the 303 a little bit....just so I dont have to compress the hell out of them and lose the little interplay the two individual lines have going with each other.
*L* my biggest fear was that everyone was going to hear the "blooping" sound playing a 3 over 4 pattern and go

"what the fuck....are you trying to remix Doom's Night or something?"

Speaking of Canada....that's where I'll be for New Years....although my freinds can't seem to come up with a consensus whether we're staying in London, or driving somewhere in T.O. for the party

kurt: i was finally able to download this. your server didn't like me the first couple times i tried and it timed out.

'cabin fever' is pretty tracky.. it might work better as a dj tool than as a standalone track. that said, the mastering is good, maybe a little overcompressed, but the sounds are clear and distinct, the bass is warm and the beat pumps. up until about 3:54 it's a little too repetitive. at times i felt like i was listening to a really good locked groove. it bumps along nicely and the sounds blend really well together and the bass loops are funky as fuk. you've really got an ear attuned to that whole filter-disco-house sound.

unfortunately it's so similar in mood and sample choice to other things in the filter-disco genre, that it makes one expect more tweaking and filtering than actually occurs..

after the 4 minute mark the arrangement gets more interesting. this track already has a lot of appeal and back when this sound was all the craze i'm sure a label would have snatched this up and pressed this to vinyl as is.

i'd program a few variations on the rhythm and drop out or syncopate the kick now and then. even a uk garage break woud sound cool with those sounds. i wouldn't start as full throttle with the layering as you do. build it up slowly over the beat and the bass. lose the sustained one-chord pad sound or replace it with a wonkier sound. that held string thing is a big cliche and gives the track a "house-by-numbers" vibe. process your sounds more: long, slow filter sweeps for a classic filter-disco feel would be nice and if you added some crazy digital-dsp granulating/ chopping/ modulating effects you'd have a track that shows you're interested in pushing the genre forward while still showing respect for the past..

dyscotopia: thanks for the critique.
I wrote the track to be a "filler record" so that it REALLY punctuated whatever comes after it. The loopiness is there to creat a kind of anticipation. and since it never breaks, its up to a the DJ to make the change in a big way. I have a hard time writting "complete" pieces because I'm always thinking about how I would use it in a set. I'm re-programing the drums, and cutting it down to around 5.30/6.00 or so.
Updates re-posted by saturday for sure. Thanks again.

here is the update:

http://www.wlcv.net/kurt/cabinfever.mp3

It actually ended up being longer, but alot of the length is due to filler percusion in the first/last minutes of the track for mixing.
I re-arranged a bit, I think it moves a little better now, not as "loopy"
Plus I mastered every track seperately rather than rendering the whole thing and then going to sound forge.
By the way I'm using recycle for the samples
my drums are programed in reason using redrum with most of my own patches.
I'm using acid pro for the sequncing/layout, and mastering everything in sound forge with Iztope.
All of the samples come from Musique: "Keep on Jumpin"
Todd Terry did a pretty famous remix of this, but I wanted a new spin on it.

please take a look at the update, there are much improvements.
cheers.
-Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.