• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why is it so hard to buy syringes?

Flexi: My small town certainly isn't one that has authorized sales. The cities on that list are spread out enough that people all over California now know what major city they have to drive to in order to get syringes without a hassle.

never had a problem in my state. just as simple as walking in asking for what i need and paying. even got a few pharmacies where they are just laying out on a rack and you just grab what ya need

damn why do they have to make it so hard. in my city they have a nice clean injecting gallery with booths you can go into by yourself or with a partner. plastic spoons, metal spoons, tournaques, swabs, different sized rigs, clean water, pill filters, nurses are armed with oxy-gen masks and low-doses of narcan incase you OD, hell the nurse will even hold your arm if you ask nicely, and all this is for free, complimentry with a chill-out room where you can make tea and coffee.
sydney, australia

takes 5mins to register your first time, they just ask you a bunch of questions about your usage, give you a password, and your good to go.

I read somewhere awhile ago that they were opening up a "shooting gallery" in San Francisco. Seems like a good idea given that every other 911 call made in that city is an OD related emergency...

Christian Soldier said:
takes 5mins to register your first time, they just ask you a bunch of questions about your usage, give you a password, and your good to go.

surely you don't have to give them personal details? im in qld, but have never heard you have to register? or do you mean the questions they ask are the same as they would ask at a hospital?

at the hospital, when getting however many sharps, they have a quick questionnaire, such as - what drugs are you injecting, how many people are using the needles, your age.

leftwing said:
surely you don't have to give them personal details? im in qld, but have never heard you have to register? or do you mean the questions they ask are the same as they would ask at a hospital?

at the hospital, when getting however many sharps, they have a quick questionnaire, such as - what drugs are you injecting, how many people are using the needles, your age.

In luxemburg you had to fill out a questionary on your drug use , what you started with , your usual dose , name , age , medication your on and any health problems or allergys to medication and that's it , no password either

BingeBoy said:
In luxemburg you had to fill out a questionary on your drug use , what you started with , your usual dose , name , age , medication your on and any health problems or allergys to medication and that's it , no password either

was this for just acquiring the sharps for yourself to use at your own discretion or at a shooting gallery?

i can understand it being at a gallery, but you should be able to anonymous. unless a fatal O.D occurs and theres a death. it's something i haven't really thought about before, but now starting to think a name would be helpful especially if the above happened.

if i buy syringes from a pharmacy they don't ask anything. at the hospital i remain anonymous yet they ask those few questions i said before. at our local hospital they give them out in 10 packs and you're allowed up to 100 at a time. this is where i think a few junkies score their money haha. i remember always being asked by randoms at the place if i needed a few sharps for $2 each, when i've already got mine on me8)

timothy32987 said:
just go to a walmart pharmacie i mean u can get 1 cc 30 gauge the best for like 13 cent for singles just say u need it for insoline(miss spell). its really easy never had any trouble
Is that California tho? Most states are too uptight to sell anything medicly related that can be used for fun.
In a perfect land needles and weed would be on the counter at 7/11.
OH yeah and the reason you cant get needles is because the government wants the AIDS to be spread to the so called "undesirables".

inkfreak74x9 said:
Is that California tho? Most states are too uptight to sell anything medicly related that can be used for fun.
In a perfect land needles and weed would be on the counter at 7/11.
OH yeah and the reason you cant get needles is because the government wants the AIDS to be spread to the so called "undesirables".
The feds just think that you automatically get HIV if you inject yourself with a drug.

I don't know if this has already been said but the laws vary by city/ county in CA. Up here in SF and Alameda counties, you can get them no problem and there are a bunch of needle-x's too.

Go to Farm Supply

At least here in NC you can get all the syringes and needles you want from any farm supply store. Cows, sheep, and dogs need injections from time to time.

The problem arround here is the farm supply store isnt open at 1am when you realize your shits dull.

I never have a problem at all.
I go to the walmart pharmacy, tell them im picking some up for my grandma. They ask me what kind, buy them, and im out.
Takes about 2- minutes and never had a problem.

Also, I can get a box of #100, 30guage, short needle, 1cc for $12.56..thats after tax.

Can't beat $0.13 a point.

leftwing said:
was this for just acquiring the sharps for yourself to use at your own discretion or at a shooting gallery?

i can understand it being at a gallery, but you should be able to anonymous. unless a fatal O.D occurs and theres a death. it's something i haven't really thought about before, but now starting to think a name would be helpful especially if the above happened.

if i buy syringes from a pharmacy they don't ask anything. at the hospital i remain anonymous yet they ask those few questions i said before. at our local hospital they give them out in 10 packs and you're allowed up to 100 at a time. this is where i think a few junkies score their money haha. i remember always being asked by randoms at the place if i needed a few sharps for $2 each, when i've already got mine on me8)

That's at a shooting gallery , or fixerstuff as it's called there , they will never give you personal information to the goverment

yea man needle exchanges are the best way to go IMO, its completely free. plus besides giving you needles they can help you in a multitude of other ways. I was really cool with the guys who ran my needle exchange in newark, they can help you find free rehabs/ detox's if you need em. Also most of them can give you or direct to place where u can get free STD testing. It is the best way you can go as far as harm reduction goes, they are only there for your best interest. Plus they give you a card that says it is legal for you to be carrying syringes even if you dont NEED them medically, so that always helps when it comes to getting stopped by the police. My dude used to hook me up with atleast 30 syringes everytime when i would see him, most places double the amount of your syringes everytime you go see them as long as you bring the old ones back. Needle exchanges are a god send!
In my experience some needle exchanges are great however i have to wonder if others are low key harm inducing/want you to get caught so you go into treatment

I've only come across a few exchanges that offered a selection of different guage syringes, not only that more often than not the one size they do have is of a larger diameter/lower guage like 28s or 27s, which in my experience just tear the veins apart, leaving you with more missed shots leading to abscesses especially with the smaller veins, as well as more burst/collapsed veins, there's also more noticeable track marks and more visible bruises

I was even convinced that this one exchange was giving out dull defective syringes that the company only donated cause they couldn't sell the damaged goods

That's why I just stopped even bothering to go to exchanges, I got tired of rolling the dice just to be disappointed when I got handed a pack of 28s or worse 27s, I'd use a few from their supply before becoming disgusted with the result and just spend the money on some syringes that were the size I prefered or even in some cases just going back to my dirty 30s if they weren't too fucked yet,

although i have a friend that loves these lower guage needles cause they inject just that little bit faster but personally i think it just makes it more likely to burst a vein or to have some leakage back out around the edge of the needle, I know even with a 30g if I push the plunger too fast I'll feel some stinging as the liquid fills up the vein too fast and tries to escape back through the hole that was just created

in my experience I prefer a 30g actually a 31g but only if I know I can get them on the regular and know I won't have to reuse them since the needles tend to bend too easily and snap off after only a few reuses,

however if I sense a dry spell and am fairly certain i may have to make these babies last I much prefer a pack of 30s, which I've found if I take immaculate care of can last nearly a year,

(That is, rinsed out 3-5 times after each shot and another time or two before mixing up the next one, being extra careful to push the needle straight in without letting it bend out of shape, pulling the plunger up ever so delicately and avoiding spinning it so that it doesn't separate from the rubber bit and then if it does supergluing it ever so carefully back into place so as to avoid any glue getting inside the syringe, not that I suggest you try any of this but thats how i did it for nearly a year cause of the draconian pharmaceutical practices in Greenville North Carolina)

Even 29s will do in a pinch, but 28s or 27s AAAAHHH!!! My poor little armseses I almost wish I hadn't thrown out those old 30s

I picked up 60 28g syringes in November through a local exchange and they've fucked my shit up worse than reusing, recleaning, and resharpening the same ten pack of 30gs for like 6-8 months

(I wanna say between February and November, guess that's nine months, maybe even 10 since it might have been January when I actually picked em up at the pharmacy now that i think of it)

and I know in the name of harm reduction/prevention that is absolutely horrible practice but I found myself stranded in an area where absolutely not a single pharmacy I could find would sell to me and I just gave up figuring I'd escape from this location "any day now" until I finally caved in and looked up an exchange

but despite that horrible practice i had no issues with track marks or abscesses and little issue with exposing my arms for fear of being "found out", that i now have using these ghastly 28g arm manglers

Well that's my experience and opinions on syringe exchanges anyway, if you've had better luck and better experiences my hat's off to you and I wish you well, hope you continue to have good experiences there and pray you don't run into a sheep in wolf's disguise, But personally I'd just rather spend the cash to get what I want when i want, although sometimes at the pharmacy that's not even the case, too bad the internet not really an option for me

I could keep rambling on and on as the more I type the more I come up with to say but before I drive myself crazy I think that just about covers what I set out to explain

Luv ya
May Your Mood Be Merry and Your Belly Full

You can buy boxes of 100 insulin syringes on Amazon for really cheap. When this thread was created, that probably was not the case, but this is an important thing for people to know, because there is literally no reason to be in a position where you're trying to reuse needles and stuff like that, these days.