• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why is it so hard to buy syringes?

That really sucks , all i can do is just walk right in say what i want , i can even show them the wrapper and they will not ask questions whatsoever .. i find it kind of wierd they ask you to be diabetic and what kind of doc writes a rig script .. lolll oh so much i dont know about good ol usa..

Geist89 said:
I swear, I've been to a good 10 different pharmacies over the past day or two trying to buy 28G1/2 1cc insulin syringes. Every time I try to buy them, they ask for proof that I am diabetic or a prescription. I thought that California was one of the states where they had to sell you syringes without a prescription?

Go to a needle exchange. Cali has them.

mikemikemike said:
I don't believe that to be true. If so one who is shady looking, scraggly etc, goes in to buy syringes in some places, they get turned down. I have heard of this happenening before, and one time I had a buddy, who looks shady, also did have a couple of track marks, but doesn't llok like a bum or total drug addict get turned down. I had to go by them for him. I don't have track marks and have very good hygiene and was dressed professionally.

That's exactly what I was getting at. If the pharmacists were more reasonable (read: understanding) no one would be turned down whilst requesting syringes.

You've also hit on another point that makes me absolutely sick. Based on appearance, one person wasn't able to buy CLEAN syringes. This is precisely the type of person that likely needs them the MOST. By allowing said person to buy them the pharmacist is potentially preventing the spread of disease via needle sharing.

I'm not proclaiming that needle exchanges don't have their place; they certainly do in this day and age... Until we can eradicate the prejudice/bias that EACH of us has, there will always be a need for assistance programs such as this (and at the rate we're going, we'll [as a human race in general] never see this happen).

Sorry, I just didn't word my phrase correctly the first time... I am in no way against needle exchange programs.

Geist89 said:
I ended up finding a place to get some! Without disclosing a source (the only thing I'll say is that it wasn't a major drug store chain), here's what I did. I googled and figured out the basics of diabetes. When I went in, I was cleanly dressed and asked the only person there (the pharmacist) for a package of insulin syringes. She asked for my prescription, to which I said I didn't have once since I was traveling. She asked some questions about my "diabetes" and made up some legitimate-sounding answers, so she went ahead and sold me some BD brand 30G1/2" 1/2cc syringes.

Hopefully this goes well!

Awesome! I've done this myself... just spout out something about Novolog or your blood sugar... Also, it helps to walk in with a bit of confidence and say something to the effect of "I need a weeks' worth of Ultrafines", as if you'd done it a thousand times. Sometimes they'll try to trip you up by asking you how many are in a week's bag (thinking you'll say 5 or 7 if you're lying).

fevio said:
QFT.

But needle exchanges wouldn't even be necessary if people took a reasonable approach toward the sale/dispensing of syringes.

Why are they holding them back? Do they think that you're going to suddenly NOT do whatever drug it is that you planned on doing? NOT likely.

They need to realize that by denying access you're really potentially going to harm yourself more than the original drug in question would've. You'll most likely end up obtaining a dirty needle somehow and we all know the risks involved with that. I just think the pharmacists need to get off of their high horse and realize that they aren't going to prevent anyone from ingesting drugs... and that they might actually be making it more dangerous for the user.

Yea i know, but unfortunately there are always going to be those assholes out there who think they are going to be able to stop addicts from using from either making things illegal, or forcing them to go somewhere else for certain things, IE needles. They dont realize that they are just prolonging the inevitable or just making the situation even more dangerous for the person, and thats why i love needle exhanges. Because they know that no matter what, that the person is going to use, even if it means picking up an AIDS covered needle from the gutter, there are people out there who just dont care, and do w.e it takes to get high. But when you have a place to go where people supply clean fresh needles it atleast stops the spread of disease( somewhat) and it also prevents people from having to do illegal or shady things in order to get their syringes. Its a double edged sword i guess, because yea they are allowing people to do drugs, but atleast they are letting them do it in the safest possible way. but the thing that i liked about the exchange, (the one i went to atleast) is that the people that were there were really trying to help. They were even getting ready to set up a mobile exhange in some type of RV that was gunna start going around Newark and giving them to homeless people. And they not only help with the syringes they try and provide people with as much harm reduction info, and addiction treatment help as they can. They were affiliate with a lot of rehabs/ and detox's that they are willing to take you to and get into if you wanted, because they were just in the business of helping people. I thought that was really cool.

It really angers me that stores can refuse to sell clean needles..I live in NC, and the only place I've been turned down is Walgreen's. I don't think I look sketchy at all. I acted like it was no big deal, but they asked for proof that I was diabetic. I said that I was getting them for my grandma, but no go. So I had to re-use one (I was the only one that had used it, though.) It was late at night..don't go late at night, for one.

Either buy them in bulk online or go into the store and tell them you forgot to your insulin and syringes with you and purchase some humulin-r and a package of needles. I believe humulin-r doesn't need a prescription unless things have changed. Most of the time if you are dressed nicely the pharmacist wont give you shit. They may ask questions so prepare yourself.

^ Insulin available OTC? When was that? Perhaps if you're dying at a pharmacy and they know you need insulin they might hook you up or something...

sixpartseven said:
Go to a needle exchange. Cali has them.
Its true. Not a ton, but if you're near the Los Angeles area theres vans or whatever that drive around and make stops all over the city and outlying areas. And even if you're not in LA, like me, there still should be a needle exchange. I live in a suburban city/county and there's a half a dozen needle exchanges (meaning time/place the van stops) in my county alone. I recommend you look into that.

Geist89:If you're between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, PM me and I'll direct you to one in your area.

Also, I don't know if this question of yours has been answered, but since January 1st, 2008, a you need a prescription to buy syringes. (The thing is, you can often find a pharmacy which does not adhere to, know about, or care about this law.)

^ Is that a nationwide law or just California? Things havent changed at all in Michigan, so Im assuming its just Cali.

The only thing different around here is the pharmacists tend to ask more questions. Just play dumb and they let it go.

About a month ago, a pharmacist rolled his eyes and laughed at me when I told him I didnt know what type of insulin my little brother uses (I dont have a little brother.) He then proceeded to give me a bag of 10 BD's.

It's proof that the government is trying to spread AIDS!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It does piss me off though. People are going to use drugs, clean needles or not. It's unfortunate that every major city doesn't have a needle exchange, and that some have to operate illegaly.

sixpartseven said:
^ Is that a nationwide law or just California? Things havent changed at all in Michigan, so Im assuming its just Cali.
Thats the California law. I don't know other states, nor do I know the federal laws.

johanneschimpo said:
Also, I don't know if this question of yours has been answered, but since January 1st, 2008, a you need a prescription to buy syringes. (The thing is, you can often find a pharmacy which does not adhere to, know about, or care about this law.)

Do you have a reference for that? As far as I can see, the Disease Prevention Demonstration Project which allows the sale of syringes to people who pharmacists know or suspect are using them to inject illegal drugs, is still happening. This effectively allows the over the counter sale of injecting equipment and you don't even have to pull the diabetic routine.

Here's a link to an pdf provided to pharmacists in California, which was published in March 2008 -> Senate Bill 1159
The Disease Prevention Demonstration Project Information for Pharmacists (pdf)

Also the California Syringe Access website doesn't mention anything about any recent law changes. I heard there were some new "unsafe disposal" laws that came into effect in January 2008, but that's related to used injecting equipment and doesn't impact needle distribution.

It's sad hearing how hard it is to get needles in the US. Here in Australia there are home delivery services that can drop off boxes faster than a pizza. Or you can just go use one of the vending machines. Also there's no actual exchange of used needles required, people are free to take as many as they need - in some cases "slabs" of 5 boxes of 100.

^ I don't have a reference (though I suppose I could try to find one). I never saw it online, it was a poster/paper that pharmacies had on or near their counters, posting the new law. I remember seeing it late in 2007, that the law was changing Jan. 1, 2008. I haven't bought syringes lately, so I don't know if they are still up at the pharmacies or not. If they are, they will probably tell what the section or whatever code # that law is, and I could look it up from there. I'll look next time I go to the pharmacy.

But there are other things that contradict it, the whole "right to live" thing, so I really don't know what the deal is. I don't have any use for needles anymore so I don't know exactly what its like now. But I do know you can still get them from some places, usually non-chain type pharmacies.

^^ or online, from a medical supplier. Worked great for me back when I was in need of rigs, and that box of 100 lasted quite awhile. Plus you don't have to worry about having to come up with BS stories or getting yelled at by self-righteous pharmacists (stupid Walgreens :( )

oh

In Finland

If I remember right, syringes and needles are prescription free and OTC.

Someone mentioned it earlier. Go to Longs Pharmacy in Cali. They will sell syringes without questions.

It could be that you're a whacked out junkie. Take Huey Lewis and the News' selection and want a new drug.

I found this from the Harm Reduction Coalition on all the various California syringe access laws as of January 1, 2008.

California Syringe Access Laws As of January 1, 2008 (pdf)

California Senate Bill 1159

California Senate Bill 1159 permits over-the-counter sales of up to 10 syringes in counties and cities that elect to participate in the statewide Disease Prevention Demonstration Project.

In 2004, California joined the list of states allowing nonprescription syringe sales when Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed SB 1159 (Vasconcellos) into law. Since the enactment of SB 1159, 15 counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Humboldt, Los Angeles, Marin, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, Yolo, Yuba) and 4 cities (Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Francisco, and West Hollywood) have authorized non-prescription syringe sales as of August 2006, and a number of others are considering it.

In addition to allowing for the purchase of syringes, SB1159 provides that any number of used syringes, if they are containerized “for safe disposal” will not be considered illegal drug paraphernalia.

California Assembly Bill 547

California Assembly Bill 547 permits needle exchange programs. In 2005, Assembly Bill 547 was signed into law, eliminating a section of state law requiring
cities and counties to declare a health emergency every two weeks to justify continuing needle exchange programs.

Sponsored by Assembly member Patty Berg (D-Eureka), AB 547 made it easier for cities and counties to maintain needle exchange programs to combat the spread of HIV and hepatitis C.

California Senate Bill 1305

California Senate Bill 1305 requires safe community needle disposal. In July 2006, Governor Schwarzenegger signed SB 1305 -- The Medical Waste Management Act, authored by Senator Liz Figueroa (D-Fremont), making it one of three states to forbid the
placement of used needles in the household trash.

The intent of this new law is that no syringes are discarded in the trash or in public locations such as parks, buildings, or the streets, and it compels local communities to develop user-friendly programs that encourage individuals to place used syringes in containers that are collected for treatment as medical
waste.

Public health agencies and groups that work with injection drug users (IDUs) must be aware of the legal barriers faced by IDUs in safely disposing of syringes, and work to encourage IDUs to participate in community syringe disposal programs and syringe exchange programs.

California Assembly Bill 110

California Assembly Bill 110 allows the use of state funds for syringes. Previously, State Department of Health Services policy allowed state HIV prevention and education funds to be used for costs associated with authorized needle exchange programs — except for the purchase of sterile needles and syringes.

With the passage of AB 110, authored by Assembly member John Laird (D-Santa Cruz), local governments are now allowed to use state General Funds for the purchase of syringes as part of authorized needle and syringe exchange programs.

Conditions on syringe purchase include that the amount spent cannot be more than 7.5 percent of the total received for HIV prevention and education; each $1 of HIV Prevention and Education money must be matched by 43 cents of non-state money; the use of that money for syringes must be based on epidemiological data as reported in the local HIV prevention plan; and annual reports submitted to local governments regarding syringe exchange must also address the use of these public funds for the purchase of syringes.

Harm Reduction Coalition
phone: 510-444-6969
fax: 510-444-6977
Technical Assistance Program

www.harmreduction.org