• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why is it so hard to buy syringes?

Geist89

Bluelighter
I swear, I've been to a good 10 different pharmacies over the past day or two trying to buy 28G1/2 1cc insulin syringes. Every time I try to buy them, they ask for proof that I am diabetic or a prescription. I thought that California was one of the states where they had to sell you syringes without a prescription?

As a diabetic, I've never had that problem, I've also just recently kicked a nasty oc/dope habit, been clean for 17 days, for the first time in 5 years. Gets a bit strange at times.

Thats really crappy that you cant get rigs. Try calling around, maybe a certain pharmacy will allow it. Sorry I couldnt be much help

Check your state laws regarding the sale of syringes.

I might be wrong, but ive heard that they don't sell them otc in California.

Buy them online.

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2003/09/09/usdom6364.htm

this is old but the gov. interefered with california's clean needle HIV program in 2003 so you have to have a prescription/reason for buying a rig. i don't know if that is still the case there but since you're having so much trouble i'd imagine it is.

as of now i think there are 8 states with prescription restrictions for syringes so it 's hard to buy in those 8 states. most states require the PHARMACY to sell needles to YOU for the sake of harm reduction. some asshole pharmacists will do w/e to try to get you to not buy the needles but they're legally required to sell them if they're in the 42(?) states where it's the law. i try to look as clean cut and "diabetic" as possible when buying syringes (ex. calling them "syringes" and not "rigs" or "needles" helps a LOT as well as wearing clothes without holes in them). i'm in NC and i've never had a problem buying rigs even though i've received some dirty looks from CPhTs before. fuckers.

Thats horrible. I cant believe that California doesnt openly sell needles. Fuckin Michigan does...

I feel ya. I used to have this card that said "I'm diabetic." It had a space for all your information. Phone number, Name, address, age, etc. I just filled out some information and always said I was getting syringes for my grandmother and handed them the card. I just acted like it wasn't a big deal and it was something I did all the time. I also took out all my piercings before doing this. Worked like a charm.

does california have needle exhanges? New jersey finalllly just got 3, after a long gg time. Needle exchanges are the best.

just go to a walmart pharmacie i mean u can get 1 cc 30 gauge the best for like 13 cent for singles just say u need it for insoline(miss spell). its really easy never had any trouble

It ALL depends on state laws; if you are in the US that is. Every state law is different, and Don't support walmart. =)

Thanks everyone for your input, but does anyone have a definitive answer on what the California state laws are about buying syringes?

i'm in cali, go to a needle exchange, you can get like 10 for free, along with alcohol wipes, filters, cookers, sterile water or saline, sharps box, the works. they have terumo's at most of them, and it what ever size you want. or you can use the internet and order some, i know a while back i ordered 25 from a pet supply place and they were really cheap, less than ten bucks for em all shipped

Geist89 said:
Thanks everyone for your input, but does anyone have a definitive answer on what the California state laws are about buying syringes?

i think it would be easier to order them online or go to a needle exchange to get them, do a search for your city, or a close big city and needle exchange in google, and that should give you some answers, thats what i did before ordering more online.

yea man needle exchanges are the best way to go IMO, its completely free. plus besides giving you needles they can help you in a multitude of other ways. I was really cool with the guys who ran my needle exchange in newark, they can help you find free rehabs/ detox's if you need em. Also most of them can give you or direct to place where u can get free STD testing. It is the best way you can go as far as harm reduction goes, they are only there for your best interest. Plus they give you a card that says it is legal for you to be carrying syringes even if you dont NEED them medically, so that always helps when it comes to getting stopped by the police. My dude used to hook me up with atleast 30 syringes everytime when i would see him, most places double the amount of your syringes everytime you go see them as long as you bring the old ones back. Needle exchanges are a god send!

e12dsm said:
yea man needle exchanges are the best way to go IMO, its completely free. plus besides giving you needles they can help you in a multitude of other ways. I was really cool with the guys who ran my needle exchange in newark, they can help you find free rehabs/ detox's if you need em. Also most of them can give you or direct to place where u can get free STD testing. It is the best way you can go as far as harm reduction goes, they are only there for your best interest. Plus they give you a card that says it is legal for you to be carrying syringes even if you dont NEED them medically, so that always helps when it comes to getting stopped by the police. My dude used to hook me up with atleast 30 syringes everytime when i would see him, most places double the amount of your syringes everytime you go see them as long as you bring the old ones back. Needle exchanges are a god send!

QFT.

But needle exchanges wouldn't even be necessary if people took a reasonable approach toward the sale/dispensing of syringes.

Why are they holding them back? Do they think that you're going to suddenly NOT do whatever drug it is that you planned on doing? NOT likely.

They need to realize that by denying access you're really potentially going to harm yourself more than the original drug in question would've. You'll most likely end up obtaining a dirty needle somehow and we all know the risks involved with that. I just think the pharmacists need to get off of their high horse and realize that they aren't going to prevent anyone from ingesting drugs... and that they might actually be making it more dangerous for the user.

Go to Longs.

Every Longs pharmacy I've been to in Southern California has sold me syringes, no questions asked. They're the only place I've found that does it. Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid...they won't sell you any. In California they leave it up to the discretion of the store. It's legal to sell syringes to anyone but only if the store you go to doesn't have a policy against it.

I agree though that every place should sell syringes. When I couldn't get to a Longs and couldn't get any anywhere else, I ended up using a dull ass rig that I pulled out of my trash can. It was my old rig and I soaked it in rubbing alcohol, but still...junkies will find a way to get what the want.

Otherwise, just order them online from a medical supplier. I got a box of 100 back when I was using for dirt cheap and hassle-free.

fevio said:
QFT.

But needle exchanges wouldn't even be necessary if people took a reasonable approach toward the sale/dispensing of syringes.

I don't believe that to be true. If so one who is shady looking, scraggly etc, goes in to buy syringes in some places, they get turned down. I have heard of this happenening before, and one time I had a buddy, who looks shady, also did have a couple of track marks, but doesn't llok like a bum or total drug addict get turned down. I had to go by them for him. I don't have track marks and have very good hygiene and was dressed professionally. Also OP, depending on what you went in there looking like and depending on the person that assists you, they may sell them to you. It may even work to buy something like lancets or glucose test strips to make them think you are diabetic. I know that sounds like a hassle, but make yourself somehwat memorable with a possibly a little converstion, and you should be able to buy them everytime. Assuming you don't look increasingly more drugged out with each visit.

I ended up finding a place to get some! Without disclosing a source (the only thing I'll say is that it wasn't a major drug store chain), here's what I did. I googled and figured out the basics of diabetes. When I went in, I was cleanly dressed and asked the only person there (the pharmacist) for a package of insulin syringes. She asked for my prescription, to which I said I didn't have once since I was traveling. She asked some questions about my "diabetes" and made up some legitimate-sounding answers, so she went ahead and sold me some BD brand 30G1/2" 1/2cc syringes.

Hopefully this goes well!

^ I live in California and thats what I always used to do. (Stopped shooting.) Well, if it came to that - usually they didn't give me any shit, but if they did I knew more about diabetes than them (and way too much for a junkie) and they would succumb 9 times out of 10.