• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is codeine still used?

Except your opinion isn't based on any scientific fact, which is why it's stupid.

There's a difference between abusing pills and using them for their intended purpose, in the latter case it is unlikely that APAP will cause any problems to patients without liver disease. Get it through your head. No shit it's toxic for you since you eat 7 pills at a time.

I feel that was a little unkind. There is a difference between an opinion n fact. Fact is usually based on evidence, usually resulting from studies stemming from theory(ies) n/ research. An opinion is NEVER right or wrong n everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Our history teacher drummed this into us from the age of 11.

His quote went something like this "an opinion is only valuable for learning what the person wants us to know (subjective).

A fact is valuable for learning what you want to know. (Objective).

If TSLexi feels that paracetamol is dangerous for consumption then that is not misinformation nor is it stupid, right or wrong n s/he stated its value - it's her opinion.

Evey

I feel that was a little unkind. There is a difference between an opinion n fact. Fact is usually based on evidence, usually resulting from studies stemming from theory(ies) n/ research. An opinion is NEVER right or wrong n everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Our history teacher drummed this into us from the age of 11.

His quote went something like this "an opinion is only valuable for learning what the person wants us to know (subjective).

A fact is valuable for learning what you want to know. (Objective).

If TSLexi feels that paracetamol is dangerous for consumption then that is not misinformation nor is it stupid, right or wrong n s/he stated its value - it's her opinion.

Evey

I'd much rather have acetaminophen replaced for all purposes with NSAIDs. Or just eliminate the combination products altogether.

The ONLY reason they combine it with narcotics is to deter ODs...by making sure you'll die in the most painful way possible. That's just cruel.

As someone who ODd on paracetamol I would welcome the idea of it becoming prescription only because how many people can overdose with it. Yes they limit the boxes to no more than two but it's easy to just go around a few shops. I managed to get over 60 paracetamol 60 ibuprofen and 400 mg of codeine. Limiting people just makes people take a big longer I suppose it could possibly give some time to change their mind but making it POM would be ideal - it's not like there isn't ibuprofen or aspirin for pains like headache, period pain etc. I would not wish paracetamol overdose on my worst enemy

Evey

People should know about the risks and the dangerous of paracetamol if taken about a certain limit. If it's not written in red or black with a warning notice I know lots of people will just use it because it looks like pretty much okay to take it whenever you have a headache. When there are actually numbers that one may not exceed to avoid serious liver problems.

And now it's worst because they decided to mix some mild opiates with paracetamol and when there's abuse of these meds, the liver goes down too.

I'd much rather have acetaminophen replaced for all purposes with NSAIDs. Or just eliminate the combination products altogether.

The ONLY reason they combine it with narcotics is to deter ODs...by making sure you'll die in the most painful way possible. That's just cruel.

I think the only problem you will have with aspirin acetylsalicylic acid is that your blood can become a little 'thinner', meaning that it could even be good for the heart but it takes a while (more like seconds) to get something healed from a cut - for instance. And that is also not very good for the stomach if you take it without eating.

Last edited:
Acetaminophen should be banned. If you can't take NSAIDs, just take the straight narcotic.
Acetaminophen (or "paracetamol" as it is called here) is a very useful analgesic.
Narcotics aren't useful for all types of pain - not by a long shot.

And as for toxicity - ever heard the phrase "the dose makes the poison"?
An awful lot of things are deadly if consumed in excess.

Yea o don't agree with them mixing opiates n paracetamol
What do you mean, you "don't agree"? From a medical perspective, or that of a drug addict?

Like headaches. Codeine should nit be prescribed for headaches n nigraines as it causes rebound headaches yet GPs still prescribe it for such things.

Evey

Good that you brought this up because I wrote something else when I meant to refer the side effects from Aspirin. This is also suggested that you would normally not take aspirin with empty stomach so it may lead you to stomacheque

EDIT: Aspirin, also known as acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), is a medication, often used to treat pain, fever, and inflammation.It is not Acetaminophen.

Like headaches. Codeine should nit be prescribed for headaches n nigraines as it causes rebound headaches yet GPs still prescribe it for such things.

Evey
"Headaches" and "migraines" are fairly broad symptoms/maladies that can have a variety of different causes, and require a range of different effective treatments.
What is effective for one person may not be for another - and vice versa.
These drugs are still so widely used - despite all the stigma and addiction risk attached to any opiate analgesics - because they are effective at what they do, for a variety of ailments.

My doctor told me they have paracetamol so ppl cant abusse the opiate in them and that studdys show that parra is toxic and it is seriosly being considered for sript only due 2 all the deaths from ppl abusing itQUOTE=TSLexi;13558244]I'd much rather have acetaminophen replaced for all purposes with NSAIDs. Or just eliminate the combination products altogether.

The ONLY reason they combine it with narcotics is to deter ODs...by making sure you'll die in the most painful way possible. That's just cruel.[/QUOTE]

As someone who ODd on paracetamol I would welcome the idea of it becoming prescription only because how many people can overdose with it. Yes they limit the boxes to no more than two but it's easy to just go around a few shops. I managed to get over 60 paracetamol 60 ibuprofen and 400 mg of codeine. Limiting people just makes people take a big longer I suppose it could possibly give some time to change their mind but making it POM would be ideal - it's not like there isn't ibuprofen or aspirin for pains like headache, period pain etc. I would not wish paracetamol overdose on my worst enemy

Evey
Completely diagree when used RESPONSIBLY paracetomal, iboprofen and asprin have many benefits for the body plus they are better than opiates.

Most doctors (including myself) prefer to prescribe this maybe with a lil caffeine top up and on the contuary its co codamol and immodium that need to be presctiption exclusive its those silly druggies downing hundreds of paracetomal in a vain attempt to get high then they blame the paracetomal and hence the doctor and get him in trouble etc.

all opiates need to go, only none narcotic painkillers should be given to people below 50/£100k a yr you cant be trusted anymore its ridicolous their used to be people with real pain(like me) unless you have real pain like me you should only need para, ibo or asprin and if they dont work your not tryba lose pain just trying to selfishly get high off tablets that could help a person in real pain like me.

Sorry i could ramble on all day

Well, I enjoyed codeine highs in the past: the peace and sedation that gave me it was pleasant and helped me like painkiller too to a moderate pain. Some people can't enjoy the codeine by a lack of a determinate enzyme in the liver for what I readed. Instead the hydrocodone it's for intense pain and it's more addictive than codeine.
this is what i mean back in my day we had real men pain now most of the younger generation just want to get high wait until our little counter methods begin i cant wait no more drugs for people who dont deserve/need them.

whats ppl money got 2 do with it ??? so if some 1 dsnt make 50k plus a year they shouldnt get any pain meds that have opiates ur laughable ,lif u were a doctor then u would no that opiates r the only true painkiller and no i dnt abuse them what if some 1 wa like me i shattered my knee cap years ago i cant have parra as it upsets my gut hence i get cod phosphate
Completely diagree when used RESPONSIBLY paracetomal, iboprofen and asprin have many benefits for the body plus they are better than opiates.

Most doctors (including myself) prefer to prescribe this maybe with a lil caffeine top up and on the contuary its co codamol and immodium that need to be presctiption exclusive its those silly druggies downing hundreds of paracetomal in a vain attempt to get high then they blame the paracetomal and hence the doctor and get him in trouble etc.

all opiates need to go, only none narcotic painkillers should be given to people below 50/£100k a yr you cant be trusted anymore its ridicolous their used to be people with real pain(like me) unless you have real pain like me you should only need para, ibo or asprin and if they dont work your not tryba lose pain just trying to selfishly get high off tablets that could help a person in real pain like me.

Sorry i could ramble on all day

Last edited:
also if some 1 wanted 2 ony get high from it it wouldnt b hard for them 2 buy cocodamol otc and do a cwe if that was there main intention

Yeah, you're right. It has nothing to do with actually killing pain which is what they are intended for. 8)

Holy shit, I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with altering your brain chemistry, but I hate your kind of ignorant junkie so much. Literal waste of oxygen.
Acetaminophen (or "paracetamol" as it is called here) is a very useful analgesic.
Narcotics aren't useful for all types of pain - not by a long shot.

And as for toxicity - ever heard the phrase "the dose makes the poison"?
An awful lot of things are deadly if consumed in excess.

What do you mean, you "don't agree"? From a medical perspective, or that of a drug addict?

Me and spacejunk actually agree. This is one for the record books.

Yeah, you're right. It has nothing to do with actually killing pain which is what they are intended for. 8)

Holy shit, I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with altering your brain chemistry, but I hate your kind of ignorant junkie so much. Literal waste of oxygen.

Excuse me? I said I have a problem with acetaminophen, because it is far too hepatotoxic for what it does. Ibuprofen and naproxen are just as effective analgesics, plus they also relieve inflammation and fever, which acetaminophen doesn't do.

Your liver is the most important organ in your body, and stressing it when you don't have to is stupid. Acetaminophen poisoning, which causes acute liver failure, is one of painful ways to die...vomiting blood, blindness, psychosis, and crippling abdominal pain is not in any way an easy, gentle death.

And by the time you show such symptoms, only an emergency liver transplant will save you, and good luck on getting one in time, you'll need it.

You need to explain why Vicoprofen and Combunox are available if Vicodin, Norco, and Percocet are available.

Seriously, calling me an ignorant junkie is completely uncalled for. Maybe you should read up on the toxicity of acetaminophen before you start calling me names.

Indeed, the use of acetaminophen above certain daily limits can cause serious liver problems.
And yes, most or all doctors will agree to say that the liver is not only the most important organ we have but also the largest.
It's a huge computer where our body delegates tons of info to be interpreted and put into action.

also if some 1 wanted 2 ony get high from it it wouldnt b hard for them 2 buy cocodamol otc and do a cwe if that was there main intention

EXACTLY! which is what i mean junkies who just wanna get high should not be allowed to get them period.
everyone who buys products except parcetomal/acetaminophen, iboprofen or asprin(which is all most people need unless you have unbarable pain like me the essential three as we docs call them) you should be drug tested to make sure your not an abuser of ANY substance EVEN cannabis that way the people who actually NEED them gets them and the selfish abusers who like you yourself admitted lie and manipulate the health services and make it harder for us doctors to treat the real sick people wont be able to get their greedy hands on it.

One considered solution to this problem is one i hope will be deployed very soon and put the final nail in the coffin of these abusers would be to tinker witb the co codamol, make the codeine synthetic and edit the atoms to deactivate if it is seperated in anyway from the acetaminophen, but thats not all by tripling the doses in tablets such as co codamol the nhs will be able to slash abuse across the country for example make the 15/500s 15/1250s and the 30/500s 30/1300s this will stop all the horrible diseet abusr and undermining of our hard working strained health services i all this corruption and lies is making me so angry!

Until i signed up to this forum for research i had no idea the depths abusers will go to con the health services and the common sick man alike your the reason good honest doctors(like me) are out of a job but i can assure all of you behind this that measures are under way to make the above possible

i could not have said it better my good man