• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is codeine still used?

TSLexi

Bluelighter
Why is codeine still used when hydrocodone and many other much more potent narcotics exist? It's so fucking weak! The only thing it's ever good for is as an antitussive.

I mean, if you're going to prescribe codeine for analgesia because you don't think hydrocodone is appropriate, you might as well just prescribe ibuprofen or naproxen. At least those are also anti-inflammatories and antipyretics.

In fact, IV ibuprofen and naproxen are pretty damn good at what they do, and fast too. They can significantly reduce the narcotic dosage for postoperative analgesia.

Acetaminophen however, is a fucking poison, end of story. We need to ban it. There is nothing it does that other analgesics don't do better with less risk.

It's hard to get an NSAID that doesn't have a negative impact on the body. Some cause cancer in a shorter time then others but I don't think any are extremely safe over extended periods. Opiates are safer in a sense not as hard on the body and they come in a wide range of strengths in comparison to morphine, codeine just happens to be the lesser of them. It's not codeine's fault you don't see a purpose but it's widely accepted as "safe" in a sense because of its light action.

Most opiates have a place in medicine codeine does because it represents the lower end of potency the place everyone feels comfortable prescribing. At least that's my take on it.

It's hard to get an NSAID that doesn't have a negative impact on the body. Some cause cancer in a shorter time then others but I don't think any are extremely safe over extended periods. Opiates are safer in a sense not as hard on the body and they come in a wide range of strengths in comparison to morphine, codeine just happens to be the lesser of them. It's not codeine's fault you don't see a purpose but it's widely accepted as "safe" in a sense because of its light action.

Most opiates have a place in medicine codeine does because it represents the lower end of potency the place everyone feels comfortable prescribing. At least that's my take on it.

Aspirin is. 80 mg/day aspirin is recommended to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.

I honestly wish they would remove the acetaminophen from drugs like Vicodin, Norco, and Percocet, or at least replace them with an anti-inflammatory like aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen, because acetaminophen is far too toxic...the limiting factor in dosing should be the narcotic, not the non-narcotic.

Yep^. For example most dentists would much rather script Tylenol 3 or 4 after a procedure as even though it is weaker than the plethora of other opioids it does still have greater analgesia than Tylenol alone or any other NSAID.

Actually, IV NSAIDs are quite a bit more effective than PO NSAIDs

not everyone can take nsaids.

also they dont need to replace those drugs, alternatives exist, vicoprofen and percodan for example.

not everyone can take nsaids.

also they dont need to replace those drugs, alternatives exist, vicoprofen and percodan for example.

Acetaminophen should be banned. If you can't take NSAIDs, just take the straight narcotic.

Acetaminophen should be banned. If you can't take NSAIDs, just take the straight narcotic.

But what makes you say this? It has an excepted medical value and most dont even notice its working. I will give you liver issues but all you have to do is monitor intake and try to not need drugs such as these daily. I would never suggest taking a narcotic for average pain, hell a placebo is probably just as good in a lot of cases because people just need the idea of the pain relief sometimes.

that is ridiculous.

narcotics interact with lots of drugs and arent tolerated by many. they dont reduce fevers, relieve headaches. and you start this thread by saying the lowest level narcotic shouldnt even be used. where are you going with this?

acetaminophen has its problems and if you dont want to take it by all means do not, but there is no need to ban it.

But what makes you say this? It has an excepted medical value and most dont even notice its working. I will give you liver issues but all you have to do is monitor intake and try to not need drugs such as these daily. I would never suggest taking a narcotic for average pain, hell a placebo is probably just as good in a lot of cases because people just need the idea of the pain relief sometimes.

Acetaminophen just frightens me, because it's one of the most hepatotoxic drugs out there, and it's *only* an analgesic, not an antipyretic and anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, naproxen, nor also an anti-platelet like aspirin, nor an antitussive like narcotics. It's also very irritating to the stomach lining.

If you need a non-narcotic analgesic, there's aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen. They also reduce fever and inflammation, and, in the case of aspirin, also makes platelets less "sticky", reducing the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and DVTs

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/world/2014/02/21/the_dark_side_of_acetaminophen.html

If you're in pain, try a PO NSAID. If that fails, try an IV NSAID, which will raise the bioavailability to 100% and reduce the stress on your liver. If that doesn't work, try a PO narcotic. If that doesn't work, try an IV narcotic. And if that doesn't work, try a local anesthetic nerve block.

Aspirin is. 80 mg/day aspirin is recommended to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.

I honestly wish they would remove the acetaminophen from drugs like Vicodin, Norco, and Percocet, or at least replace them with an anti-inflammatory like aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen, because acetaminophen is far too toxic...the limiting factor in dosing should be the narcotic, not the non-narcotic.

They make hydrocodone with ibuprofen and oxycodone with aspirin. In normal doses to healthy people acetaminophen is probably less toxic than NSAIDS. Last year a study was published showing how even low use of NSAIDs negatively impact the risk for CV events, and aspirin and acetaminophen didnt. And aspirin of course has bleeding risks that acetaminophen doesnt.

And codeine is an effective analgesic for mild to moderate pain and not a C-II in America. Why should it not be used?

And acetaminophen is an antipyretic. It is less efficacious in children, but for adults its fine.

Last edited:
They may keep codeine over the counter for junkies, to help them when they don't have heroin. Just a theory.

what u even talking about? codiene is not week and its addictive try going with no pain meds for a while then go back 2 the dose ur sripted 60mg 4 times a day then tell me its usless thats almost laughable , stuff stronger than it is even more addictive believe it or not and now codiene is a poison lmao paracetamol is more off a poison u cant even compare it 2 an ati inflamatorey its an opiate theres no need for anything stronger thats just as toxic stronger meds the worse it is dependance ect god as said codiene itself is very addictive also a strong pain med and has alot more off a less risk than any other stronger opiate where do u stop? whats the point in any when u could get heroin ,methadone still painkillers
Why is codeine still used when hydrocodone and many other much more potent narcotics exist? It's so fucking weak! The only thing it's ever good for is as an antitussive.

I mean, if you're going to prescribe codeine for analgesia because you don't think hydrocodone is appropriate, you might as well just prescribe ibuprofen or naproxen. At least those are also anti-inflammatories and antipyretics.

In fact, IV ibuprofen and naproxen are pretty damn good at what they do, and fast too. They can significantly reduce the narcotic dosage for postoperative analgesia.

Acetaminophen however, is a fucking poison, end of story. We need to ban it. There is nothing it does that other analgesics don't do better with less risk.

so u dnt get codeine phosphate??? no paracetamol ?? with paracetamol 30/500 is cocodamol 30mg of codeine phosphate has no paracetamol only pure codeine av had 60mg 4 times daily for litrally years and no problem u dnt get hydrocodone here at all

Last edited:
It can Bea gateway to stronger opioids for the "opiate naive", maybe similar in strength to ie. Naproxen for physical pain, opioids have mood lifting /euphoria... Addictive

naproxen has no pain relieve at all for me i shatter my knee cap years ago naproxin or no anti inflammatory does anything at all for it where as codiene phosphat 3omg 2 4 times a day works on pain the doc should b scripting the least amount possible yeh u can but it otc but at 8mg u stuggle 2 find 12mg otc even and thats as co codamol not jst pure codeine phosphate and it is the paracetamol thats more dangerous than anything destroys ur liver and kidneys why on earth would u think u would get something stronger when its not needed have u ever had a high dose off codiene??? dsnt sound like it, it can knock u out even donno what sort off doses you get

its so much stronger than naproxen and a dif drug totally n codiene has a sedative effect no euphoria in it at all where as dhydracodiene actually give u a high effect
i would guese u r in america so the docs r gonna give u a script for stronger meds as its more expensive and you pay for ur scripts n meds as here we dnt all medication is free
It can Bea gateway to stronger opioids for the "opiate naive", maybe similar in strength to ie. Naproxen for physical pain, opioids have mood lifting /euphoria... Addictive

Well, I enjoyed codeine highs in the past: the peace and sedation that gave me it was pleasant and helped me like painkiller too to a moderate pain. Some people can't enjoy the codeine by a lack of a determinate enzyme in the liver for what I readed. Instead the hydrocodone it's for intense pain and it's more addictive than codeine.

Some people actually use these drugs for mild pain rather than copping a buzz. Gee, color me shocked.

Not everybody can tolerate hydro or oxy and there's nothing dangerous about acetaminophen if you're not half retarded and eating 2g of it everyday. You just sound mad that you can't gobble fistfulls of pills. MD's and NP's much more educated and qualified than you attest to the fact that acetaminophen indeed has a synergistic effect when it comes to analgesia in therapeutic doses. I'll trust their opinion over yours. Codeine is also now the only narc that one can get refills on since hydro got rescheduled.

Get high all you want I don't care about that, I just can't shake the nasty vibe I get that since it doesn't get you stoned it shouldn't even be available at all. It's a better stone than tramadol or darvocet anyway. What a colossally retarded thread.

Yes, I'm salty.

Last edited:
lmao yip it can for a fact get u wrecked and tramadol here is a junkie smackhead drug ppl accept cocodamol as its otc in small mg 12 at max anything more is from a doctor and u cant jst buy codeine pure thats for sure otc as its 30mg pure codeine phosphate u can get 30/500 cocodamol but again need a doctor , ur so right ppl do use it for pain its actually strong as i get it n have had at max dosage for years every day when i stop taking then leave it a few days then start again u see how well n how powerfull it really is
Some people actually use these drugs for mild pain rather than copping a buzz. Gee, color me shocked.

Not everybody can tolerate hydro or oxy and there's nothing dangerous about acetaminophen if you're not half retarded and eating 2g of it everyday. You just sound mad that you can't gobble fistfulls of pills. MD's and NP's much more educated and qualified than you attest to the fact that acetaminophen indeed has a synergistic effect when it comes to analgesia in therapeutic doses. I'll trust their opinion over yours. Codeine is also now the only narc that one can get refills on since hydro got rescheduled.

Get high all you want I don't care about that, I just can't shake the nasty vibe I get that since it doesn't get you stoned it shouldn't even be available at all. It's a better stone than tramadol or darvocet anyway. What a colossally retarded thread.

Yes, I'm salty.