• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why is codeine still used?

When combined paracetamol and iboprofen are both underrated medications to help ease a meth come down when other options like diazapam or heroin are not possible to be obtained.

Why anyone especially a male would want to become a daily paracetamol user/addict is a mystery to me. firstly paracetamol prevents a guy from having a orgasm and if i'm going to be impotent and not be able to cum i want a decent buzz and high like crystal methamphetamine or China white heroin has!

Acetaminophen just frightens me, because it's one of the most hepatotoxic drugs out there, and it's *only* an analgesic, not an antipyretic and anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, naproxen, nor also an anti-platelet like aspirin, nor an antitussive like narcotics. It's also very irritating to the stomach lining.

I know this is a very old post, but figured I would correct your incorrect bit of info on acetaminophen/paracetamol as someone might stumble on this post and believe what you have written.

Acetaminophen is most certainly an antipyretic! For example, see this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1621668 where you can see acetaminophen provides an antipyretic effect, just like ibuprofen (yeah, ibuprofen apparently does it better but acetaminophen does have an antipyretic effect too!). The info is available even on the acetaminophen Wikipedia page lol.

"Acetaminophen and ibuprofen have each been shown to safely and effectively reduce fever in children".

I think I have provided enough evidence that your claim was wrong.

Oh and acetaminophen doesn't irritate the stomach lining, if anything that's a known side effect of NSAIDs!! People with stomach ulcers etc. have to avoid NSAIDs, but can take paracetamol without issues. I have GERD made worse by my liberal usage of ibuprofen in the past. My GP tried to tell me to use paracetamol instead as it doesn't do anything to the stomach.

"Ibuprofen, aspirin and other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can irritate the stomach lining, so it is best to take them with food, or a glass of milk. Paracetamol doesn’t irritate the stomach lining so it won’t matter if you haven’t eaten."

Last edited:
dunno why this old thread is revived almost 3-4 years later but .. i skimmed the last two pages and don't know what their talking about, codeine when i didnt have an opiate tolerance was an effective painkiller, wasn't overly strong but suited just right where 30-120mg aided with pain relief, the tylenol i've never been fond of i'm still rx'd 90 x 60mg codeine pills, however their pure without tylenol but i used to get 60x30mg for years and years every month which i never really ate the whole script until i ended up with chronic pain, but until then, it didn't matter the tylenol i suppose just went along with the codeine i never paid it much attention since the tylenol 3's or 30mg codeine/ 325 mg tylenol i think i have a few somewhere if i went to look, aswell, if someone wants to get 'high' but tylenol is a no-go then its literally a 10minute process to cold water extract the substance from the tylenol, also calling people junkies isn't particularly a good way to go about things, even though this thread is old as fuck i don't think it should've been revived its got some negative vibes, people on codeine are on the lesser spectrum of opiate land, while we can still consider it a decent opiate i still think it is, even with the high doses i'm on i still take them, they aid somewhat even if i have to take 300mg, i usually stop there since i'm too lazy to CWE n i'm not fond of bombarding my liver with tylenol.

Overall, codeine is a very effective substance, even while being paired with tylenol as 30mg/325 and i think they have 60/650's but they certainly have pure without tylenol 30s and 60s, i'm able to eat them like candy, but the drug should be respected because for those whom don't really take opiates ill quote a friend that messaged me one day because he couldn't sleep due to strep throat pain and i didn't mind giving up a couple of my codeine tabs, he told me that after taking 60mg 'he slept like a baby' and the next day with 60mg he claimed to feel it all day, and i didn't hear about his strep throat pain so it goes to show codeine should definately be a first-line treatment for lesser ailments that cause pain aswell as being effective at suppressing cough, i do remember using codeine along with a hydrocodone cough syrup when i had the flu a few years ago which worked extremely well, it infact somewhat made the flu much easier because i remember i was ungodly sick and a sip of the syrup, 2-4 pills and i was good to go for a few hours

to sum this up, codeine is effective, sure it can have potential recreational value since it is metabolized into morphine however, at the low doses that it is, it shouldn't be dismissed, it is very effective in those that aren't high-dose users of opiates, and even then it still helps forsure i'll take 120-300mg somtimes (keeping in mind i'm a high-dose chronic pain patient) but if you really want to abuse codeine.. i mean its a lesser evil vs other things, id say it has a low-medium 'addiction potential' but it is far from high-risk as some sources online can claim, if used theraputically for physical pain and other legitamate things then it is a truely great medicine.

@Zonxx

I revived it to correct some completely wrong statements about paracetamol made by the OP. My post is just above yours.

I know it was an old thread and everything but people do read old threads if they use the search engine (I found this thread by looking up old threads in this subforum) and I thought it wouldn't do any harm to give the correct info instead.
I know it's frowned upon but I had a good reason IMO.

As for codeine being pretty useless I do agree with OP. It is converted into morphine in the body and some people lack the enzymes needed to perform the conversion so they don't experience any effects from it. Giving them codeine isn't gonna do anything.

It would make more sense to just use morphine at a low dose... but morphine has a certain reputation so they give people codeine. Here in the UK there's nothing between codeine (tramadol and DHC are similarly weak) and morphine and in most cases codeine just doesn't cut it but they are reluctant to give morphine unless it's a pretty serious condition you have. In the US they have hydrocodone for most moderate types of pain, which is definitely more sensible.

As a painkiller codeine does next to nothing. At least for me. I had an excruciating toothache a couple of years ago and codeine was useless. Ibuprofen and paracetamol gave me a little relief instead. It also doesn't do anything for my back pain. It can get someone nice and fuzzy but from a medical point of view I see it as a useless drug. It's a prodrug for morphine with no benefits over morphine itself so why not use morphine directly then??

I am talking about codeine taken at therapeutic dosages from a medical point of view. If you have to take an overdose of it to feel anything it means the drug is therapeutically useless.

When people take codeine combined with paracetamol or some NSAIDs you can be pretty sure the painkilling experienced comes mostly from the paracetamol or NSAID.

I find it hard to believe anyone truly experiences pain relief with 30-60mg of codeine, which is the accepted therapeutic dosage. I'd challenge anyone to take 60mg of codeine with a bad toothache and tell me how they feel.

I only use codeine to avoid withdrawal when I can't get dihydrocodeine. Dihydrocodeine isn't a prodrug and works a little better for pain.

Last edited:
Why is codeine still used when hydrocodone and many other much more potent narcotics exist? It's so fucking weak! The only thing it's ever good for is as an antitussive.

I mean, if you're going to prescribe codeine for analgesia because you don't think hydrocodone is appropriate, you might as well just prescribe ibuprofen or naproxen. At least those are also anti-inflammatories and antipyretics.

In fact, IV ibuprofen and naproxen are pretty damn good at what they do, and fast too. They can significantly reduce the narcotic dosage for postoperative analgesia.

Acetaminophen however, is a fucking poison, end of story. We need to ban it. There is nothing it does that other analgesics don't do better with less risk.
I can't have ibuprofen as it causes problems.im fine with paracetamol and aspirin.codeine is great for headaches even better than stronger stuff like morphine,dhc or tramadol (tramadol causes headaches) it's great bcoz ppl don't always want a strong op8 and it's a major alkaloid second only to morphine in production volume.codeine is fucking awesome.
it's like a light otc opiate with much reduced withdrawal symptoms and less addiction liability

Codeine in any form isn't even available in my country without a doctor's prescription anymore! I suffer from migraines (sometimes ocular) and the days of simply walking into a pharmacy to buy something stronger than aspirin or ibuprofen are gone. I never did abuse codeine (thinking about the extra paracetamol you'd be consuming as they were/are always paired in tablet form) made no sense. Dying from a paracetamol overdose just to get a bit of a kick out of an opioid would be one of the most horrific ways to go. I actually didn't even know (back in the day when I was all innocent and "good" lol) what exactly codeine was, until I had a wisdom tooth removed and had to take Pandedeine forte (in Australia this is 500mg paracetamol plus 30mg Codeine) and I casually and naively ate 17 of them within a 24 hour period. I wondered why I felt so fucking great, lol! But that's a shitload of paracetamol!

Just to add though, I've since discovered that aspirin and caffeine are way more effective in the treatment of migraines than codeine/ paracetamol/ ibuprofen.. a doctor once explained it, something about the restricted blood vessels in the brain.. can't recall exactly but whenever I feel one coming on, I take 3 extra strength aspirin (500mg per pill) and down loads of Cola. Does the trick most times.

Acetaminophen should be banned. If you can't take NSAIDs, just take the straight narcotic.

I can't take NSAIDs because ulcers, don't want narcotics because im clean. Tylenol works for me so why tf ban it?

Just to add though, I've since discovered that aspirin and caffeine are way more effective in the treatment of migraines than codeine/ paracetamol/ ibuprofen.. a doctor once explained it, something about the restricted blood vessels in the brain.. can't recall exactly but whenever I feel one coming on, I take 3 extra strength aspirin (500mg per pill) and down loads of Cola. Does the trick most times.

Caffeine also works for my headaches

When I suffered from cluster headaches it was only aspirin and caffeine that was the only thing that touched it. Morphine would make it worse. And it is the constriction of blood vessels from the caffeine that helps. I hated taking caffeine in the middle of the night but anything to get rid of that ice pic pain.

For me if I had a choice between hydrocodone or codeine I would always pick codeine. I always felt it more. Seems within the last 15 years they put hydrocodone in the severe pain list as a med. Codeine works for me a little better. Not sure why but I can feel 120 mgs of codeine very well but it takes me at least 30 mgs of hydrocodone for any effect.