• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do so few people grow shrooms?

Back before 2005 when our kindly government stepped in to spoil the fun here in the UK, I obtained around a dozen different grow kits from different places (including Holland) & had huge success on each occasion. But I have been daunted by the sterile requirements of inoculating ones own substrate mission & have never grown from spores.

I am encouraged by those who claim it's "easy" lol <3

I haven't mentioned my failures. One grow I started 18 cakes, and about 12 were contaminated by oyster mushrooms (?!) The vendor reshipped syringes, but never made good on the premise of resending the media, so I just never bight from them again (that plus the sterile jars they were shipping for sloppier and sloppier). The grow subsequent to the oyster grow I started 24 cakes without adequately cleaning up and 21/24 cakes were oysters,

There have been some good successes though; 1 cake survived 5 flushes, and at one point I had over 120g dried. Laziness has taken a toll of late :)

Nitrile gloves and wiping down the plastic bins with alcohol are most of the sterility that I practice.

@ Mycophile

I'm shit at math, well calculus and algebra anyway. And the science helps to the extent that you can understand the why's of doing things so that you can optimize or improve the nest time around.

A tote is just a plastic bin/tub/storage thingy, like a giant tupperware container. The heater, I just walked into a pet store and asked for the cheapest submersible aquarium heater ($15 give or take). And I've never gotten bulk grows working, just cakes.

Reason I mentioned the pressure cooker is that if you can borrow one of those, then the substrate (what the spores > mycelium > mushrooms eat to grow) is nothing other than brown rice flour which is cheap. Ask whatever questions you want (I suggest in this thread to keep it in one place).

I am registered at Shroomery, but haven't been there in quite a while.

Tom

In the amount of time I spent reading this I coulda picked a lb of fresh shrooms, and come back to what were pins in a weeks time for another lb, and so on, hence me saying it's more difficult to grow ur own.

Last edited:
I'd argue depending on your location, the effort required to go out picking can be just as annoying and tedious especially if you have to travel an hour or so just to get where they're fruiting :( you also need enough knowledge (or rely on others' on the shroomery) to avoid picking an undesirable nasty shroom.

I think it'll come down to location really. If they fruit in the field over the road from your house, yeah - why bother growing unless it's out of season and you're really keen.

In the amount of time I spent reading this I coulda picked a lb of fresh shrooms, and come back to what were pins in a weeks time for another lb, and so on, hence me saying it's more difficult to grow ur own.

You obviously know where to look and how to be sure not to eat bad ones.

I don't know where you live, but I'm in the north eastern U.S. and I'm not sure if they grow near me at all.

Maybe if it is really true that they usually grow on cow shit they could be easier to find than I am aware of but I have to drive an hour north to even get to an area where there are a lot of cows and I don't feel like sneaking into people's farms lol.

If it was that easy around here I know more people would do it.

It's not that easy in my area for people in general most likely or those of us like me who don't know what to look for.

If that was actually possible for me I'd be so excited, but I'm guessing it's not.

You must trip very regularly?

Where do you live?

Mushroom identification isnt as hard as it seems, you just have to be diligent. And yeah, it's all about location. I'm like 10 minutes from a huge cyanescens patch. They only fruit for about a month or two out of the year though. But during those times you can pick plenty for personal use.

Mushrooms are very regional. Find out which ones grow around you. Liberty caps are the ones that grow on cow shit. Cyanescens like wood chips or certain grasses. Figure out which mushrooms grow in your region, then figure out their habitat, then you can find them at the right time of the year in their habitat.

I live in South Australia. Plenty of shrooms (subs, cubes, cyans) in aus and NZ, all of them are easy to ID once you know what you're looking for. I don't go on residential land, mainly conservation parks and shit. I've got no clue about the states.
I don't like psychedelics that much.

I know this has nothing to do with actually growing shrooms, but I was wondering if certain prescription medicines could prevent one from feeling the effects of mushroom. For example the prescription seroquel preventing someone who tries molly to roll and feel it.

Yes, antipsychotics like seroquel will block any psychedelic including mshrooms. And SSRIs will blunt or block the effects for most people (though some seem to still be able to get effects). Also benzos will dull any trip but not kill it.

Yes, antipsychotics like seroquel will block any psychedelic including mshrooms. And SSRIs will blunt or block the effects for most people (though some seem to still be able to get effects). Also benzos will dull any trip but not kill it.

Mostly true. Mushrooms still worked on zyprexa although it felt more like a slightly trippy ecstasy. Seroquel isn't nearly as potent and it depends on the dosage. Psychs will work on doses lower than 200 mg. Its not really antipsychotic until dosed above the 200 Mark.

When I first took acid I was taking Prozac and the effects of the LSD, and the trip were not blocked, or blunted. The same goes for cannabis.

I have never taken Effexor, but in college a friend and I split an eighth of mushrooms, and I tripped off of them while my friend did not trip nearly as hard, but he was on Effexor.

Contamination makes it really difficult to grow shrooms

?? Care to elaborate on this? If you pay attention to what you are doing, take adequate care and precaution, no it's easy. Sure you gotta out some effort into it, but that's like life....you gotta work at it.

Tom

Never had any problem with contamination and I don't "scrub down surfaces" and slip into an antiseptic beekeepers outfit before innoculating.

The biggest problem I found was getting the water and flour content right - 2 1 1 the standard ratio never worked for me, too much water makes the cake stalls and too little flour means you get big areas of bare vermiculite that can't colonise. Once you get the ratio right tho it's easy and rewarding. The ration that worked for me was more like 2 cups verm, 1.25 cups brf and 3/4 cup water.

Without a pressure cooker its hard to avoid contamination

No offence but uh uh. If you don't have access to a pressure cooker (I didn't at first), you can either a) buy pre-made/sterile jars, or b) use a large canning pot and boil/steam for an extended period of time. If you go route a) the quality control is out of your hands, and you're at the mercy of how OCD/anal retentive your jar vendors are. If you go route b) you probably will get some contaminations, but that's why you inoculate more than a few jars.

How are you defining contamination? Is it a stalled cake? A cake that fails to colonize at all? A colonized cake with some contams? I've had contaminated cakes before, and with gloved hands, I removed the cake(s), used a sterile scalpel to remove as much contamination as possible, used sterile q-tips/peroxide to wash parts of the cake and placed the remaining partial cake into a hospital incubator. If I had more than a few contaminate cakes, I would clean the cakes, crumble them up and place them into 1:1 moistened vermiculite for what is called a rez tek effect.

And even if I thought a cake was truly fucked, I'll take a picture of it so I have it for future reference. Compulsive behaviour, along with extensive note taking really helps.

Tom

Basically the question you are asking is way more complicated then you give credit. People do or dont do things for a lot of reasons and a lot of factors come in to play. The first is probably societal they dont want to break the law or they dont want to get caught by whomever (even spouses and child fall under this). The second is a lot of people doubt their capability so they will always think the activity is above them and will not look into it. Those are just why i think people dont do it.

Then there is the problem of people not being able to read and follow directions. Sounds stupid but people are notorious for taking short cuts thinking they can change procedure or they just dont dedicate the time and effort it takes to follow through with something. Once you get good at it laughs can be had at reading peoples first time and how much they thought they could get away with or do without any understanding or anything.

This is all just my idea on it though.

There are a bunch of reasons why people do not grow mushrooms yourself. I have cultivated for about 20 years on and off, mostly off. For me it is laziness or I end up with more mushrooms than I need.
But I also believe people who claim that they are serious interested in psychedelic, it should at least attempt to try to cultivate themselves.
Of course, if you live in a field filled with cubensis you should probably find something else to grow. There are a lot of exciting things to choose from.

Shroomes is the best psychedelic out there, hands down. And the learning process itself can be pure Alchemy;-)

Liberty caps are the ones that grow on cow shit.

No, they are not. As a Scandinavian, I pick a few, but I have never seen one grow directly on dung:)

Last edited: