View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do so few people grow shrooms?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
I've always LOVED shrooms and known that technically they can be grown but I'm just wondering why SO few people grow them??

Like I always had a lot of friends who loved shrooms, especially throughout college and everyone would just wait for them to VERY sporadically pop up to buy some and everyone just acted like they were these rare and coveted treasures and be frustrated that they were so hard to find.

I always figured that there must be some catch when it comes to growing them like it must be either REALLY hard or expensive to do or something because with all these people always wanting them why did I NEVER know anyone who ever grew them??

If they aren't hard to grow or at least not REALLY hard to grow then why doesn't everyone and their brother have a shroom garden??

I really want to grow them and know jack shit about doing it but it just strikes me as odd.

Doesn't this seem odd to anyone else??

I mean are they easy to grow??

Is it expensive to set up a shroom growing operation?

What's the deal with why there aren't shroom dealers in every town of America, growing one of the best psychedelics EVER from an easy to grow spore kit they purchased online??

What's the catch?

A lot of people do it; but they keep it to themselves and do not post about it on the internet, or tell everyone.

Those that openly post about it online, or tell people get busted.

I have never done it but at one time I knew people who did, and they said how everything has to be very sterile and you have to devote yourself to it, and know what you are doing.

I have heard it is quite simple as long as you do as ptch said and keep everything sterile. One little mishap can ruin the whole thing.

I have never grown mushrooms personally, but when I do I will be keeping it to myself :)

why? if i posted on the internet that i have a few jars of mushrooms growing in my room.

its a preeeeetty long shot that now i have put myself in risk of the police raiding me over a few grams of mushrooms.

why? if i posted on the internet that i have a few jars of mushrooms growing in my room.

its a preeeeetty long shot that now i have put myself in risk of the police raiding me over a few grams of mushrooms.

I've seen them bust people for doing this.

Especially if the person growing them sells the mushrooms or gives them away, and people do talk. But I have been in places where there were lots of undercover people who were not obvious and they would buy and use drugs with the people they later busted.

Last edited:
Probably because they think it's too complicated and/or lack attention to detail. It's all about being clean and sanitary to avoid infection, otherwise it's pretty much a 'set and forget' deal once you've inoculated the jars/set the cakes.

I mean are they easy to grow??

Is it expensive to set up a shroom growing operation?

Very easy to grow, My first grow, I harvested 89g dried from 6 cakes over 3 flushes

Knowing what I know now, a setup would cost ~$50 if you can borrow a pressure cooker.

Read and read and read some more.
Read until your eyes are sore

Then pick those shrooms; pick them quick,
Eat so many that you get sick

Sorry for my stunted humour; but no, there is no catch. I haven't got anything growing right now, but if I started tomorrow On July 2, I figure I'd be eating homegrown by end of August.

Tom

[in some places, spores are illegal; in others once mycelial growth has started is the danger point. But really, the chances of getting busted are pretty slim and none considering that you don't need electricity to grow if you manually fan/mist or use a zombie mono tub. And natural light is good enough]

Last edited:
One word, shroomery

I have only had one grow so far but learned everything I needed to off of that site
The main problem with trying to grow shrooms is that it requires a decent amount of
preparation along with basic knowledge of mycology along with ability to maintain a
VERY sterile environment

Other than that anyone really has the ability to do it but like one said up there ^^^ there
Is always a risk, don't do this if you have others who can potentially find your grow
and get you in trouble and worst prison time

Happy shrooming!!!

About how much space do you need?

Is a regular closet big enough for a small grow?

Do you need special lights and things like that?

P.S. I just registered for the shroomery.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Because they just grow naturally in winter.
It's easy to find shrooms and hard to cultivate ur own.

Because they just grow naturally in winter.
It's easy to find shrooms and hard to cultivate ur own.

These people are saying it is pretty easy to cultivate their own.

It is NOT easy for me to personally find shrooms where I live, or if I am wrong and looking in the wrong place (granted the only place I've looked is a drug dealer) I PERSONALLY would not go eating mushrooms I find with the hope they make me trip.

If you get it wrong it could kill you.

But from what everyone else here says growing them might be a bit of a challenge but shouldn't be all that hard.

About how much space do you need?

Is a regular closet big enough for a small grow?

Do you need special lights and things like that?

P.S. I just registered for the shroomery.

Thanks guys.

Anywhere you can fit a plastic tote. So yes, a closet is okay for a small grow. You can fit 12 cakes in a 40-56L tote. And as I said up above, no lights are needed other than mother nature :)

Here's a very, very basic description.

1) Buy 2 plastic totes and an underwater aquarium heater
2) Affix/attach the heater with the included suction cups to the bottom of the bottom tote. Set the temperature to 81F
3) Cover the heater with ~4-5 inches water, and place the second tote on top of the water so that it floats. The heater will heat up the water and bring the temperature of the second tote to 81F
4) Your inoculated jars go in the second jar and are covered with the lid of one tote (the second lid is useless. You've now got a controlled temperature incubator.
5) Blah, blah wait what will seem like a painfully long time until jars are fully colonized
6) Remove the jars and place on a clean/sterile surface (or a 3rd tote - your call I've got 12). Disassemble your incubator and clean it out with ever clear
7) Place ~6L wet perlite in one tote and place tin foil squares (or jar lids your call) on the perlite, and place your colonized cakes on there, Place lid on tote.
8) Place tote in area where it will receive indirect sunlight, or open the closet door for 30 minutes a day. Temp should be no more than 76F ambient; preferably 72F.
9) The perlite provides the high humidity; remove the lid of the tote and use it to fan the cakes gently for 1-2 minutes 3 times per day.

That's the reader's digest condensed version of how to grow mushrooms. It really is that inexpensive and easy. As people say, keep a CLEAN work area. Gloves, spray bottle of ever clear, etc. You can fancy the whole procedure up, but it still won't be expensive. I've used LED rope lights, aquarium pumps, bubblers, timers, computer fans and so on. You will reward yourself greatly when you pick an 80g monster (my record was 63g for one shroom).

Tom

Last edited:
These people are saying it is pretty easy to cultivate their own.

But from what everyone else here says growing them might be a bit of a challenge but shouldn't be all that hard.

It is easy. You have to pay attention though, and take notes. After your first grow you'll wonder why you thought it was difficult. The more lab experience you have (university level them and/or biology courses) the easier it is to maintain strict conditions - to the point where it becomes second nature.

Here is a pic from my very first grow 3 years ago. The incubator is destroyed because a new puppy I got chewed the shit out of it.

ZAPurVMl.jpg

The second shroom from the right is the state at which you want to pick them.

Tom

That one on the far right looks a little sketchy to me, but maybe it's just a shadow?

That one on the far right looks a little sketchy to me, but maybe it's just a shadow?

Dropped spores. It was the very first harvest from my very first grow and I really didn't know when to pick them. I actually waited until all the veils broke and dropped. I don't do that any more because I find it contributes to the gym sock taste. I had 6 cakes stacked in a kind of pyramid/tower shape because of limited space in my first incubator. There were mushrooms above this cake on another level.

Tom

Back before 2005 when our kindly government stepped in to spoil the fun here in the UK, I obtained around a dozen different grow kits from different places (including Holland) & had huge success on each occasion. But I have been daunted by the sterile requirements of inoculating ones own substrate mission & have never grown from spores.

I am encouraged by those who claim it's "easy" lol <3

It is easy. You have to pay attention though, and take notes. After your first grow you'll wonder why you thought it was difficult. The more lab experience you have (university level them and/or biology courses) the easier it is to maintain strict conditions - to the point where it becomes second nature.

Here is a pic from my very first grow 3 years ago. The incubator is destroyed because a new puppy I got chewed the shit out of it.

ZAPurVMl.jpg

The second shroom from the right is the state at which you want to pick them.

Tom

I have no science experience and actually have a lot of difficulty with anything even remotely math or science related and never took chemistry or physics in school.

I actually don't know what most of those things you even described are like what a tote or perlite are or what kind of heater etc.

I have a feeling from the way you describe this that what sounds easy for you would be difficult for me, but I'm not about to try it right at this second anyway.

i joined up to the shroomery and when I want to I will do enough research that my guess is even if I don't get it right the first several times eventually I'll figure it out.