• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

who gets anxiety "or even panic attacks" from weed?

You don't have to have "underlying issues" or any of that nonsense. I know the chillest people who smoke a joint and won't say a word, just freak out in their own minds so they don't touch the stuff. These are people who back in high school loved pot. If you get anxious while high but you're not when you're sober then point the finger at the chemical THC which is screwing with your brains and making you more anxious which is probably the most common side effect of the drug that is reported. Especially if you have been smoking too much, this can happen to veteran potheads and all of a sudden they can't smoke weed ever again. But are they going to quit? It's probably going to take them some time to figure it out, that there are no longer any positive effects and that the experience has been ruined by overdoing it. That's what happened to me it took forever to admit, since for the longest time before I started getting crazy anxious, I loved the herb.

That's interesting and I've actually heard of that switch happening to some veterans but it seems so backwards to me. For me it's always been the more often I smoke (and the more amount I smoke), overtime the less side effects I get at all period, because I build up a tolerance and then can smoke and get high but basically forget I'm high even and go about my day. It's if I haven't smoked in months and If I smoke to much that I may have an anxiety attack if a) I'm around to many people in public b) I get some really bad news c) I get high and start noticing weird behaviour from people I'm around, or get a different vibe from them. (Probably just paranoia) The worst is if you suddenly feel like you notice a person acting super fake, this may be paranoia.

But ya if I smoke often that all goes away. The one side effect I still get is I can feel a little awkward on weed and a little self conscious. That I hate because I can do something sober and not question my actions but later when high I may question my previous actions.

The real solution to all this I've found:
Find a dispensary that sells high cbd strains. I get little anxiety if there is above 2-4% cbd, and Ideally not anxiety at all with equal thc to cbd ratio. Even just 1% cbd helps though, I don't get why high cbd strains are so uncommon and most grade AAAA weed is fucking 25% thc and sub .5% cbd!

Thc and cbd go together like bread and butter, I will always choose the high cbd strain every single time.

I also think that weed definitely does "exacerbate" underlying anxiety issues though, so some people just aren't wired to smoke. I also think if you have a suppressed trauma or are living a kind of "fake persona" life, weed can really give you a panic attack because it will force you to acknowledge things about yourself.

For me, weed is actually decent for ego loss, it's always been quite psychedelic for me. This is great for getting perspective on things.

I'll tell you one thing though, when I first smoked weed at 14 I got so high, anxious and paranoid, I thought I'd never smoke again and hated smoking for several years even though I would always still smoke with my older bro and his dickhead friends (I think smoking around people you don't neccesarily like or know very well can also cause anxiety).

And funnily enough some of his dick head friends actually matured grew up and are some of my best friends now.

But after all these years now, I love weed :)

I get a lot of negative side effects from weed... not just panic attacks out of the blue, although that has always been a huge one for me. I am surprised that they are not reported more commonly as I experience both increased anxiety and depression, significant memory loss, increased heart rate, lung problems (even with dabbing oil), loss of concentration, loss of creative ability, a total lack of the ability to dream at night (huge loss from a spiritual standpoint), rebound anger (as well as insomnia and appetite loss), and a complete lack of ambition when I smoke weed extensively (burnout really is an appropriate term for my reaction).

It always starts off great then I slowly turn into a fiend that can't quit until I somehow run out and realize that I was essentially on a crack binge. Simply put, weed fucks with my head. I quit and I can honestly say that I am so much better off this way. It is not for me, I'll never touch it again so long as I live.

Try strains high in CBD and low in THC
Also try to find Grape God and Strawberry Cough, two strains which I personally find are excellent at not trigger anxiety when high

Panic attacks rarely ever happen and when it does edibles are almost always involved. I do sometimes get anxiety but after years of daily use I'm pretty good at being able to control it.

I get awful anxiety AND panic attacks from weed. Green Crack had me in an all-night panic on two occasions. It's definitely worse when I'm already in a bad mind state or around people. Smoking alone/at night helps the most. And choosing a chill strain. The only time I can really smoke with abandon is when I've taken Xanax. Otherwise one hit is my limit.

I quit smoking for this reason, once i took a break and came back to smoking (tried anyways), i could not handle it. To the people who still wish to smoke even with panic and anxiety, i suggest a high cbd or low thc strain or a indica strain at the very least, also do not smoke the bud, just pick off all leaf you can and smoke that, less thc that way which would help, also grind the leaf you pick off in a grinder to get even more thc off, also try drinking some tea before hand and if you start panicking just remember it will be okay and try to eat something with black pepper on it, sometimes you just got to hang it up, i smoked 13 years and i miss it dearly, i wish they made 0%thc 0%cbd strains so i could just puff away and taste it still and enjoy the smell without freaking out.

I wish I could find a strain that didn't make me feel so anxious. Blue dream is ok, but only with booze, I'd love to ditch the booze

Forgot to add: strain really can make a huge difference too. I'm currently smoking Presidential OG, an indica, and haven't had even a twinge of anxiety. Now I know I prefer non-sedating indicas over sativas or hybrids. (As a rule, of course strains aren't a perfect science yet).

The cool thing about it becoming legal In some states Is the stores that sell it have individual profiles for each strain they are selling. So can know exactly what the THC to CBD ratio is, and whether the strain is more indica or more sativa.

I smoked my first legal joint the other day. It was really cool checking out the official packaging and all of the information about the particular strain. I can't wait to get clean so I can have some money to spend at the weed store. Then I will just embrace cannabis stay off other drugs.

I would say that for some people there is a linear progression from highly enjoying it to becoming absolutely miserable.

My first two years of moderate smoking (2-3 bongs 1-3 times per week) was a beautiful time. I loved being able to escape into magicland, it was truly euphoric. I would smoke up and get tingly, horny, happy and listen to music for hours ...

About the time I hit the 2.5 yr mark, I suddenly developed anxiety and depressive symptoms ... At first they would be there the day after, but as time went they would stick around longer and longer.

I found that the high was also greatly diminished, the euphoria gone, the effects of it totally changed.

I would take 2-3 week breaks with mixed results. Finally had enough and quit, only to tell myself 6 months later that I was ready to resume. But nothing changed, the anxiety and depression came back and the magic is no longer there. So I decided to quit for good.

Those 2.5 yrs were awesome times, but I am now convinced that I permanently reworked my brain and that I messed myself up. My emotions are not as crisp as they once were. I hope with time that it will heal, but I'm not all that optimistic.

Weed may not be a hard drug such as coke or heroin, but it is definitely harmful for the brain. I have no question about that. I hope to someday be myself again.

The changes you talk about are really the main function of weed as a drug. We use it to get high but it helps us create a dopamine rich environment that allows redrawing neural pathways. In the short term you may experience euphoria or solve some problematic issues in your life but over time it will allow you to strengthen and weaken different neural connections. Working through anxiety issues while stoned, who knows if it is faster or slower but for some people it is preferable.

I think brain science and weed have a long and glorious future together.

I'm of firm belief that weed totally rewires your brain's reward system. I have decided to stop smoking completely. I'm curious to see how I will feel as time goes on. I've read that it takes up to 2 years to completely get back to normal. But I've heard that you can take all the time off that you want, but the high never comes back. Like anything else, the body makes adjustments against things that damage it. And THC is no different. I think the brain recognizes it as a foreign substance and over time adjusts in order to fight it. I look forward to seeing how the brain will adjust. Too bad I wasn't more careful, the weed buzz was really special

I'm of firm belief that weed totally rewires your brain's reward system. I have decided to stop smoking completely. I'm curious to see how I will feel as time goes on. I've read that it takes up to 2 years to completely get back to normal. But I've heard that you can take all the time off that you want, but the high never comes back. Like anything else, the body makes adjustments against things that damage it. And THC is no different. I think the brain recognizes it as a foreign substance and over time adjusts in order to fight it. I look forward to seeing how the brain will adjust. Too bad I wasn't more careful, the weed buzz was really special

Naw, I'm a long time smoker (since the 60's) and took time off now and again, just because. %) When I resumed I got just as high as from my early years. Time away is rewarded with a refresh in that regards in my experience, but of course YMMV.

I can get anxiety and have once got a panic attack from hash, but I think I smoked too much then. That was almost 15 years ago.

Sativas can cause anxiety for me and I tend to avoid them, I prefer Indicas. Critical Kush, Bubba Kush, Hindu Kush and Northern Lights are some I really like. I've never got anxiety from those strains, so at least for me the strain makes a big difference.

I get anxiety and the feeling of doom and gloom if the thc to canibodol ratio is too high. Even with all the consistent tweaking and importing of similar/strains and seeds its still hard to get a constant loiw anxiety batch

Like other people have said I get hyperaware , and obsessed I can't stop thinking about the abuse I but my body through.

I feel guilty for foolish things I've done. I will say something and instantly become so obsessed with the way others may interporate what I've said.
I can't get myself to speak anymore. And I forget how to breath, I have to focus more on my breathing.
Though it depends a lot on the strain. Mostly I just have to smoke with cation, if I don't know the strain.
Fortunately for me, I've been working through selective
Breeding for many years and come up with a strain that for me,and my two friends with similar difficulty very well.
Because of this and cautious use. I'm able to use one of my favorite drugs everyday.
Also like others have said I smoked tons when I was a teenager. But as I started using other drugs more, that's I started to get the other reactions. Especially after lsd, and mushrooms .