Venting Who else is surprised they did not die from overuse?

I consider myself an extremely lucky man that I am still here. Several truly near death overdoses and other drug related or caused accidents. A few non drug related near death experiences as well, the first when I was only 11 years old.

I think about this very often. I guess I'm still needed in this dimension, for something.

I also have come close a few times. Not from OD's but from practicing risky behaviors. Taking chances and using poor judgement while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I'm not so much surprised as I am thankful that i got a second and a third and a fourth chance.

I consider myself an extremely lucky man that I am still here. Several truly near death overdoses and other drug related or caused accidents. A few non drug related near death experiences as well, the first when I was only 11 years old.

I think about this very often. I guess I'm still needed in this dimension, for something.

That is why I think that I am still around, I had a couple of friends die of a fentanyl/heroin overdose so I consider myself to be extremely lucky.

I didn't get that near to death itself, but I did have a close call with serious catastrophe as the result of overuse, which I feel very lucky to have dodged.

One Sunday afternoon, I was sitting in an armchair and "surfing the net," getting pleasantly high on benzos/opiates. Eventually, I nodded off and fell into an unusually deep slumber, probably because I'd only slept a few hours the previous night.

After 8 hours of dreamless sleep, I woke up in a state of confusion. It quickly turned to horror as I discovered that I couldn't move my right hand anymore. It just flopped down from my wrist, limp and motionless, no matter how what I did, even though I still had sensation in it and could move the fingers normally.

On Monday, I saw a doctor who immediately said I had something called "Saturday night palsy," so called for happening to drunks who passed out on park benches. Apparently, I'd had my arm draped awkwardly over the chair back for too long, damaging a nerve. The numbness should've woken me up, but of course I was too heavily sedated.

After 2-3 weeks, I felt painful shocks running down my arm and noticed that I could flex my wrist a tiny amount, gradually improving over the next few weeks until I could write legibly again. I was basically functional again within 2 months, but the right wrist was noticeably weaker than the left one for almost a year.

In the moment, I was pretty depressed about all this. But once it started to improve, I felt incredibly grateful that I didn't end up cutting off the circulation entirely. I know it has happened to many other addicts who've nodded off under similar circumstances, often the consequences are often disastrous.

I didn't get that near to death itself, but I did have a close call with serious catastrophe as the result of overuse, which I feel very lucky to have dodged.

One Sunday afternoon, I was sitting in an armchair and "surfing the net," getting pleasantly high on benzos/opiates. Eventually, I nodded off and fell into an unusually deep slumber, probably because I'd only slept a few hours the previous night.

After 8 hours of dreamless sleep, I woke up in a state of confusion. It quickly turned to horror as I discovered that I couldn't move my right hand anymore. It just flopped down from my wrist, limp and motionless, no matter how what I did, even though I still had sensation in it and could move the fingers normally.

On Monday, I saw a doctor who immediately said I had something called "Saturday night palsy," so called for happening to drunks who passed out on park benches. Apparently, I'd had my arm draped awkwardly over the chair back for too long, damaging a nerve. The numbness should've woken me up, but of course I was too heavily sedated.

After 2-3 weeks, I felt painful shocks running down my arm and noticed that I could flex my wrist a tiny amount, gradually improving over the next few weeks until I could write legibly again. I was basically functional again within 2 months, but the right wrist was noticeably weaker than the left one for almost a year.

In the moment, I was pretty depressed about all this. But once it started to improve, I felt incredibly grateful that I didn't end up cutting off the circulation entirely. I know it has happened to many other addicts who've nodded off under similar circumstances, often the consequences are often disastrous.
I had the same thing. The doc called it “drunk arm”. He said it happened to alcoholics. THEN I passed out shortly thereafter on my laptop. I didn’t know it got so hot so I have a nice forehead memory on that one. THEN about 2 years ago - opiate free but used an oxy or Demerol and fell asleep legs akimbo on the bed. When I awoke I thought I’d had a stroke. I couldn’t move and didn’t call anyone for 3 Days. When I was hungry enough I called an ambulance. It was actually called Drop Foot and i was inpatient for 10 days. They were going to get me a walker, special shoes (SMMFH), a physical therapist and neurologist. I quit wearing heels, have never been able to cross my legs again - taught myself to force myself to walk normally instead of gimpy though i do fall a lot. I never got any of the walker or special shoes … I had neuropathy, neuralgia and degenerative arthritis everywhere from such destructive treatment ie chemo / radical surgery and radiation plus brain surgery so I know I’m still struggling with drop foot esp my right side but It isn’t much diff whether I caused that mishap or the already present lack of feeling or strength/muscle tone.

Now I remember well that Drunk Arm doctor. I hadn’t drank though I’m sure I did something like sleep deprivation causing those all to happen yet he was like so disgusted and rude … he made me feel persecuted big time and i was even kind of offended. Guess it’s laughable now as anything really is all my fault.

Is anyone else extremely surprised their drug use did not kill them? I used to drink a 30 pack of beer and just take handfuls of xanax/clonazepam in 2015 and am still here somehow. I have been clean for about 4 months.

Absolutely. I’ve had so many insane brushes with death due to my previous heroin addiction. Even OD’d on fent a year ago, and I’m still here. I often find myself quoting Lil Wayne’s verse on the song ‘My Life’ with The Game.. “Good lord you done took so many of my people, I’m just wondering why you haven’t taken my life? Like what the hell am I doing right?”

I don’t think I was ever really at much risk of dying directly from drugs since 99% of my use was stimulants and psychedelics. The first time I seriously tried opiates I woke up in an ER though - so I came pretty close

I actually used to have a pretty egotistic sense of invincibility using drugs since I often had narrow scrapes from the risky behaviour that followed taking them though.

Probably the narrowest scrapes came from taking benzos to come down from stims or trips. One minute I would think I was drifting off to sleep and an hour later I’d wake up behind the wheel of my car or walking the streets miles from my house.

For years I’d congratulate myself that I’d never stroked out, had a heart attack, got a venereal disease, or been arrested through drugs - but I’m now learning there has been a bit of long term cardio-vascular damage.

it woke my ass up, even though i used again, but the last OD was a real eye opener, not so much that i feared dying that way but my aunt, kids, wife would have been shocked cause no one had a clue, to find me dead like that would have crushed my wife, and yes sometimes for many a sense of invincibility, usually the young ones, dont get so deeply affected by NDE`s in my opinion

damn i had a very very NDE at 10 ish, sure changes yah eh?

I had the same thing. The doc called it “drunk arm”. He said it happened to alcoholics. THEN I passed out shortly thereafter on my laptop. I didn’t know it got so hot so I have a nice forehead memory on that one. THEN about 2 years ago - opiate free but used an oxy or Demerol and fell asleep legs akimbo on the bed. When I awoke I thought I’d had a stroke. I couldn’t move and didn’t call anyone for 3 Days. When I was hungry enough I called an ambulance. It was actually called Drop Foot and i was inpatient for 10 days. They were going to get me a walker, special shoes (SMMFH), a physical therapist and neurologist. I quit wearing heels, have never been able to cross my legs again - taught myself to force myself to walk normally instead of gimpy though i do fall a lot. I never got any of the walker or special shoes … I had neuropathy, neuralgia and degenerative arthritis everywhere from such destructive treatment ie chemo / radical surgery and radiation plus brain surgery so I know I’m still struggling with drop foot esp my right side but It isn’t much diff whether I caused that mishap or the already present lack of feeling or strength/muscle tone.

Now I remember well that Drunk Arm doctor. I hadn’t drank though I’m sure I did something like sleep deprivation causing those all to happen yet he was like so disgusted and rude … he made me feel persecuted big time and i was even kind of offended. Guess it’s laughable now as anything really is all my fault.
this asshole drug user i knew that i cared for, got so wasted he passed out in, ummm lets say the Muslim prayer position. well the next time i saw him his leg was huge and they cut it open on each side, guess for swelling, you could totally see all the muscles, i asked his girl why didnt you walk or drag him to bed, she admittedly said in front of him , he is violent, so she left him not knowing about circulation, he got surgery and spent alot time in a hyperbaric chamber, honestly ive seen crazy things but i generally put folks on their sides, well i have a few times, but this guy was a star moto crosser, like 10 accidents, scars all over, shank fight in prison, OD after OD, he is one bless mofo, think of you often, wishing you well EDIT, just found out few weeks back , he was found in hotel room dead a few days, i knew in my heart there was no way he`d make it to see his 50`s if he didnt quit using harder n harder.........oh Danny boy, RIP yah lug

Last edited:
Absolutely. I’ve had so many insane brushes with death due to my previous heroin addiction. Even OD’d on fent a year ago, and I’m still here. I often find myself quoting Lil Wayne’s verse on the song ‘My Life’ with The Game.. “Good lord you done took so many of my people, I’m just wondering why you haven’t taken my life? Like what the hell am I doing right?”
you best take care girlie girl, i know about that fent, but know now you just like your henny and a few puff puffs

thank you, and thanks for replying. i guess i just wanted to start talking about my brother, he yesterday finally managed to OD, after like at least 5 or 6 times waking up in hospital, at least once with 2 weeks coma. and yeah, now he did manage to, and i cant understand putting himself and his family to that risk. i love him to bits, and i certainly understand his love for substances. we still dont know what went wrong, seems he had his tolerance go down due to some waiting for a shippment, or maybe it was bad stuff (partner tells us "synthetic H" and sadly enough probs synthatic cannabis). went to bed in good spirit, apparently got up later to re-dose or whatever and next thing vomit all over the place and noway to get him breathing. he was certainly aware of dangers, he forwarded this site when i got prescribed anti depressants and benzos and then painkillers. he had mad tolerance for pregabalin (3g is what he admitted to) and oxy, would take 100mg of valium before doing h. i have great support from my partner, from friends, but i was kinda the only one who had a bit of a glimpse into the world of chemicals beyond weed and booze, i guess that s why i posted. only made this account few weeks ago cos i didnt get ahold of my brother and wanted to ask about some pain medication strategy. funny enough that pain as well as my anxiety is kinda just gone now. i couldnt get my self to take any of my prescribed meds since my dad called, but somehow my brain seems to take care of that now without outside chems.

thank you, and thanks for replying. i guess i just wanted to start talking about my brother, he yesterday finally managed to OD, after like at least 5 or 6 times waking up in hospital, at least once with 2 weeks coma. and yeah, now he did manage to, and i cant understand putting himself and his family to that risk. i love him to bits, and i certainly understand his love for substances. we still dont know what went wrong, seems he had his tolerance go down due to some waiting for a shippment, or maybe it was bad stuff (partner tells us "synthetic H" and sadly enough probs synthatic cannabis). went to bed in good spirit, apparently got up later to re-dose or whatever and next thing vomit all over the place and noway to get him breathing. he was certainly aware of dangers, he forwarded this site when i got prescribed anti depressants and benzos and then painkillers. he had mad tolerance for pregabalin (3g is what he admitted to) and oxy, would take 100mg of valium before doing h. i have great support from my partner, from friends, but i was kinda the only one who had a bit of a glimpse into the world of chemicals beyond weed and booze, i guess that s why i posted. only made this account few weeks ago cos i didnt get ahold of my brother and wanted to ask about some pain medication strategy. funny enough that pain as well as my anxiety is kinda just gone now. i couldnt get my self to take any of my prescribed meds since my dad called, but somehow my brain seems to take care of that now without outside chems.
i am just realizing that not every OD is final and fatal; his was