• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Which drug causes the most brain damage?

Alright, let's just end this!

I agree! If you constantly take increasing doses of ecstasy constantly, it will mess you up!!

I tell my parents lettuce and raw tomatos are neurotoxic so I don't have to eat that god awful rabbit food. XD

It's funny, I was thinking about this just the other day... which drug is the most harmful to the brain/causes the most number of irreversible changes to the brain.

I came to the conclusion that, both in my experience and based upon what I know, stimulants are probably the most likely to cause the most number of irreversible changes to the brain as certain stimulants cause the dopamine receptors to "curl" or "die" ...

I'm not entirely sure about benzos and what irreversible changes to the brain, if any, benzos might induce, but I do know that I suffered a withdrawal seizure after stupidly kicking benzos cold turkey -- not fun!

I'd imagine that opiates are actually the least likely, are one of the substances least likely, at least, to cause irreversible changes to the brain. It seems to me that, while opiates do undoubtedly change the way the body functions (constipation, and the horrid withdrawal symptoms, of course...) ... changes to the brain ? Not so much, I'd reckon... although I am sure that there are those here who will disagree with me on that one.

Yeah, from my understanding, opiates, without an OD don't really hurt you...It's the respiratory depression you gotta look out for...Also the added shit in prescription opioids....acetaminophen etc...

that says lack of oxygen causes brain damage (that's a no brainer). the opioid itself does not cause damage to the brain. as in brain+opi does not equal brain damage. brain-oxygen=brain damage.
^But if brain+opi = brain-oxygen, doesn't that mean brain+opi=brain damage?

I only skimmed through the posts quickly and didn't read the studies as I don't have time right now, but that's what I could make of (atleast the first page) of replies.

I only skimmed through the posts quickly and didn't read the studies as I don't have time right now, but that's what I could make of (atleast the first page) of replies.
the drug itself is not producing toxicity related brain damage is my argument.

Abuse is known to cause the ecstasy dip and if you ignore the signals and do it again the next week, you are badly damaging your brain.
If you abuse other drugs at the same time (like pot or what ever), you make it worse.
K so I didn't read thru this whole thread, someone may have already pointed this out, but I swear this is untrue. Yes using the next week will cause more damage, but I mean the part about smoking pot at the same time making it worse. It has been proven in studies that marijuana is neuroprotective in combination with ecstasy because it lowers brain temp, allowing for less damage to occur.

I belive chronic abuse of DXM would cause the most, most people that do a lot of it act like Dodo birds (no offence anyone).

I only skimmed the thread as well, but it looks to me like what they're talking about is overdose-induced, short-term oxygen deprivation, and it only stands to reason that one might suffer a bit of oxygen deprivation when, y'know, one's overdosed and hence not breathing at all... so, no surprises there.

I only skimmed the thread as well, but it looks to me like what they're talking about is overdose-induced, short-term oxygen deprivation, and it only stands to reason that one might suffer a bit of oxygen deprivation when, y'know, one's overdosed and hence not breathing at all... so, no surprises there.

No they were talking about doses people use recreationally too.

Short term oxygen deprivation from non-fatal opiate overdose is known to cause some of this cognitive decline. But research from the prescribed heroin services shows that injected heroin at doses not considered "overdoses" can cause a short (5 - 30 minute) drop in blood oxygen saturation to levels that could cause some degree of brain and organ damage over time.
It appears to be mentioned quite a few times throughout the thread & articles. Overdoses leading to total oxygen deprivation could cause far more brain damage, obviously.

the drug itself is not producing toxicity related brain damage is my argument.

True, not toxicity-related. But brain damage nonetheless.

^ Interesting... anyone here sleep with the covers over their heads? I'd be interested in seeing the research there as well, and I'd be willing to bet that a drop in blood oxygen saturation could be measured under those circumstances as well. In fact, there could be a whole slew of different behaviors/activities that we may not even realize or think much of that, nonetheless, cause a drop in blood oxygen saturation.

I'm just not ready to make the leap that opiate abuse = brain damage. It doesn't look to me like anyone is ready to make that leap yet anyway.

Being an opiate addict is never good, but opiate addicts seem to fare pretty well in the long-term mentally and physically compared to otther as long as they don't OD! That's always the big "if" of course! Mixing it with coke and benzos(as many do) changes things of course!

^

Yeah there's that whole... dying thing. I've never seen anyone come so close to dying as I have when heroin addicts fall out in front of me. It's actually incredibly, unbelievably scary; one minute everything is cool, and the next... they're down for the count. But, all things considered, heroin just doesn't wreak the same amount of havoc on the body as other drugs.

^ Interesting... anyone here sleep with the covers over their heads? I'd be interested in seeing the research there as well, and I'd be willing to bet that a drop in blood oxygen saturation could be measured under those circumstances as well. In fact, there could be a whole slew of different behaviors/activities that we may not even realize or think much of that, nonetheless, cause a drop in blood oxygen saturation.

True, but the O2 sat needs to drop to below 86% before it can cause any brain or organ damage. Reaching below that 86% is shown to be pretty common in users that take high doses and can last up to 30mins after taking the drug. Users taking light doses of opiates will most likely not reach that percentage. But as I said, with higher doses, your O2 sat can drop below 86%, which can cause complications (organ/brain damage) at any duration. The other stuff you mentioned might also cause an O2 sat drop, but I doubt any of those things would cause it to drop below 86%.

I'm just not ready to make
the leap that opiate abuse = brain damage. It doesn't look to me like anyone is ready to make that leap yet anyway.

Well if the facts are there, it's just something to take into consideration. Still, the brain damage it does cause through this O2 sat drop is relatively small, I doubt it would be very serious even after longterm use. And compared to the brain damage some other drugs cause, it's ofcourse a very, very small amount of damage. But, damage nonetheless.

/sidenote: I'm absolutely strung out on lormetazepam & pentazocine. Forming a decent sentence was difficult so this post took me like an hour. (Did a few face-flat-on-keyboard's and all.) So please, bear with me if you see errors in this post. And point out what I'm missing. Thanks

P.S. It took me way too long to write all of that down, lol. %)

Last edited:
Pill, my man, as always you raise some interesting points. I'll have to go digging around for some more information, because now I'm curious...

EDIT: And now I'm wondering by what mechanism, exactly, do opiates cause the O2 sat to drop off like that? Is it the nodding, the respiratory depression, the taking short, shallow breaths? Because if that's the case, then I would say that there is a very good chance of something like what I mentioned, sleeping with the covers over one's head, to cause an equally significant drop in O2 saturation. No? Why not? Seems plausible to me...

^I'll get back to you on that one, bit too fucked up atm to be looking up all that stuff. :D

Nighty night BL. %)

*watches movie till he gets knocked the fuck out*

I mean the clear answer is either Meth or MDMA. I'd probably say MDMA if both are used incredibly irresponsibly, but it's hard to know for sure. In general, however, meth definitely causes the most brain damage