• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Which drug causes the most brain damage?

^ Exactly. Not to mention alpha-methyldopamine is a metabolite of MDMA and has been shown to directly destroy serotonin receptors.

MDMA and meth really do almost the exact same thing, they just work on different parts of the brain when they do it. Meth seems much more detrimental because people often use it everyday due to the addiction aspect of the drug.... but if you use MDMA on the same level as someone uses meth you will see an EXTREMELY high level of damage as compared to the meth user.

Are you talking about permanent damage or are you limiting this to current use?
If you're talking abotu permanent damage I disagree about benzos being the worst. I was on about 12mg xanax daily for a few months last year - granted, it wasn't a very long time in total but my brain's completely recovered now except for the annoying brain zaps. At the time yes I couldn't think or concentrate properly or anything and it stayed like that for a couple months after I quit but it's all back now...

Cocaine is known to completely destroy brain cells and to cause absolutely irreversible damage in long-time users. Pot's also known to do that on a lesser level. Psychedelics can sometimes cause permanent damage if they result in a bad trip.

So all in all I pretty much disagree with your list haha.

Brain damage? No. Psychological trauma leading to chronic psychiatric problems? Yes. Psychedelics in general don't "damage" the brain as much as they can cause psychological problems such as paranoia, anxiety, and depression, although those side effects aren't very common, even with users who have had bad trips.

@OT: IME, MDMA has had the most significant lasting brain damage out of any drug I've used, meth being a close second. Probably because I've used met a bit less than I've used MDMA (as weird as that sounds).

This is completely untrue. With the exception of hypoxia due to its cardiovascular effects, cocaine is essentially non-neurotoxic.

This is completely incorrect. Cannabinoids are non-neurotoxic in any respect.

This is highly misleading. Bad trips result from immediate bad reactions to the nature of psychedelic experiences. While some cases of HPPD might be due to mechanisms of neural adaptation that we're as of yet unaware of, there is no as of yet discovered physiological mechanism underlying their occurrence.

In short, the short-term effects of drug use, and the medium-term effects of drug abuse and/or cessation, have little to do with neurotoxicity-proper...
It is clear that inhalation of volatile solvents is the most neurotoxic type of drug use. Because their recreational effects are inseparable from oxygen deprivation (localized or global), they really do lead to neural cellular death.

ebola

Yeah, I'm glad you know everything....take a look at a couple of long term coke users and people permanently fried from psychedelics and come tell me it's all unfounded bullshit....both these drugs can have long-term ramifications....Only a weekend warrior or somebody trying to justify their own drug use would think otherwise....ridiculous...complete arrogance....how old are you and how much first hand experience that doesn't come from a study do you have?

If you wanna talk straight-up "neurotoxicity", then yeah, inhalants I guess....but shit that will screw up your mind? there's plenty of drugs that will do that!!....What's the difference? I guess there's no coming back from brain damage, but you can come back from psychosis!...But in the end, if you cross that line and fuck yourself up, it's all the same in my book! And cocaine will fry your brain! Especially crack! Anyone who doesnt believe that must be on fucking crack!

Iv had coke before and didn't have an issue with brain damage, at least I don't think I do.

I'm not talking about occasional cocaine use....I'm talkin hardcore use for years....even a year of hard-core cocaine use will fuck with your head! Like the wise man said, "everything in moderation"...

what about some of these RCs people are into these days? Who even knows what that shit does?!

Well is the problem the drug of choice or the addictive personality. You said it yourself, moderation.

Rcs are popular because of governments making much safer drugs like coke, ganja, LSD, psilocybin illegal. The rc market is a direct result of governments archaic stance on drugs. Some of them have been found to be quite toxic indeed.

What is your poison of choice btw?

^It depends.....I'm 36 years old...I love weed and psychedelics, but historically I'm a long time heroin addict....I also love amphetamines....I'm an old school raver and a musician...Never meant to get hooked on hard drugs, it just happened!...I basically love anything that isn't garbage...

I've gone crazy from drugs, went back to normal, pushed it and went crazy again.....

From personal experience, stimulants will put you on the fast track to insanity, for shiz!! Of course, you don't have to be textbook "crazy" to have drugs ruin your life! I'd definitely suggest not dabbling with RC stimulants or psychedelics! Not that they're all bad, but in the few years theyve been available in the US, Ive seen more people lose it on those than anything else....

having experienced a high dose of DXM (800mg)

well if i had to rename DXM it would be 'Retardamine'
lol very brain damaging i think, i couldnt see straight for 6 days!!!!

I don't see how one famously misguided study makes MDMA a safer drug to use..?
No one is saying that. Serotonin101 just said that the idea of MDMA causing severe brain damage comes from bogus studies on MDMA that were government propaganda, but that MDMA can lower serotonin levels. And I was just saying that MDMA is certainly not THE number one most damaging drug, especially with single use, in response to F1n1shed, who had said:
Um the answer is quite obvious if you have done even a little reading or experience with either. MDMA is the top choice, for how quickly it can damage your brain compared to other drugs. So MDMA is answer number one
Which I did/do not agree with.

There have been many studies that say MDMA is safe... but they all are talking about with ONE use at a reasonable dose in a completely safe environment. By the very nature that MDMA works by, this is not very damaging. But when you keep taking more and more MDMA without giving your brain the time it needs to recover the lost serotonin you can only get to lower and lower 5-HT levels and can only do more damage as time progresses.
That is pretty much what I said. No one's saying MDMA can't lower serotonin levels, and that chronic high-dose use can't leave people depressed etc, I just disagree that moderate occasional use causes "brain damage" in the technical sense and wanted to point out that plenty of drugs lower serotonin, including many legally prescribed drugs.

I mean, which would you rather binge on for a week... alcohol, meth, or MDMA? The first two would fuck you up sure, but people still do it all the time and can get away with it. MDMA? Not so much...
Hmm... everyone is so different. And what kind of quantities and frequency are we talking about here? It's impossible to really compare them. I've felt WAY worse after a week of drinking or a week of meth personally, but I was probably using less MDMA in comparison to the meth.

Even if the studies by ricuarte were actually meth, that doesn't mean mdma cant do the same with your serotonin man. They work similarly, Meth causes a surge of dopamine to be released where MDMA causes a big surge of serotonin to be released. They both also release nor epinephrine and other neuro transmitters but those are the primary ones. I've seen the damage it can do personally man and i would take no more than 3 doses in a night and space it out. You guys are full of your selves , i literally became dumber in many different areas of study. Not to mention emotionally dumber full of depression, anxiety ,regret etc. Not to mention the dissociation and depersonalization it left me with. If large doses of meth destroy dopamine neurons, large or even medium doses of mdma damage serotonin neurons which are more delicate. Just put 1 and 1 together, i rest my case.

I don''t think you're properly reading my posts.

^ Exactly. Not to mention alpha-methyldopamine is a metabolite of MDMA and has been shown to directly destroy serotonin receptors.
Do you have a link for a study showing this? As I said in my earlier post: "I have not seen any research that supports the idea that MDMA actually kills brain cells, or is damaging in moderate infrequent use. If anyone has links to some research that is not funded by the US govt that says otherwise please feel free to correct me".

I want to reiterate what I said in my earlier post, that the problem with this thread is that different people are going by different definitions of "brain damage". Some are going strictly by the medical definition of brain damage, which is the destruction or degeneration of brain cells (in significant numbers). Some are referring to neurotoxicity. And some are just going more loosely by any adverse impact on one's mental health. Drugs can make changes to the brain that are not considered to be "brain damage" or "neurotoxicity", but can be just as detrimental to one's life. Not trying to discredit that, personally I think that detriment to one's life/mental health is what actually matters, but referring to any subjective deleterious changes/alterations of brain chemistry or the way one feels as "brain damage" is so vague. And everyone is going to say whatever drug caused them the most problems, which is likely to be whatever drug they personally used in high doses for a long period of time, for example I'd say methadone if we are just going by personal experience on how drugs make us feel long-term.

Last edited:
Maybe you have me confused... I don't think moderate use of MDMA causes significant damage, in fact there have been studies done to show it does none. With heavy abuse though, it is one of the most neurotoxic drugs, in my opinion.

Do you have a link for a study showing this? As I said in my earlier post: "I have not seen any research that supports the idea that MDMA actually kills brain cells, or is damaging in moderate infrequent use. If anyone has links to some research that is not funded by the US govt that says otherwise please feel free to correct me"

It was first demonstrated, in 1978, by Conway, et al. and possibly others that, while alpha-methyldopamine caused acute decreases in the levels of neuronal dopamine, in some areas of the brain in excess of 75%, levels returned to baseline within 12 hours, indicating that alpha-methyldopamine would not be responsible for the toxic effects observed.[2]
However, the story complicates as alpha-methyldopamine readily oxidizes to the o-quinone and reacts with endogenous antioxidants in the body, such as glutathione (GSH). The mechanism of action behind amphetamines and their related compounds, causes the normally encapsulated neurotransmitters to be released from their oxidative vesicle within the neuron into the reductive environment of the cell cystol. This sudden release of oxidative molecules into the cell puts it under oxidative stress. As Glutathione is the major endogenous anti-oxidant produced in the body to protect against oxidative stress and xenobiotics (foreign compounds), it likely plays at least some role in the neutralization of the suddenly released catecholamines (Dopamine and Norepinephrine), and Serotonin, as well as the breakdown of amphetamine, methamphetamine, MDA, MDMA, and other MDxx compounds. It was demonstrated by Miller, et al. (1997), that 5-(glutathion-S-yl)-alpha-methyldopamine and 5-(N-acetylcystein-S-yl)-alpha-methyldopamine produced similar effects to the parent compound, but did not induce neurotoxicity. Another related compound however, 2,5-bis-(glutathion-S-yl)-alpha-methyldopamine, did in fact induce neurotoxicity, providing initial evidence that this metabolite may be the source of neuronal toxicity following the administration of MDA and MDMA, and the subsequent reduction in 5-HT (Serotonin) axons.[3]

So sorry it wasn't a-MeDA directly but it's metabolites... still though, it has been proved over and over again that long term heavy abuse of MDMA is extremely damaging to serotonin, and personally I believe serotonin to be the most important chemical in our bodies. So much is controlled through that one chemical, and MDMA abuse can cause some major damage to the 5-HT receptors leading to long term downregulation... that much I'm sure we can all agree on.

Link to study, yo. Otherwise that quote holds no water. Not saying its wrong, but citation would be ideal.

I guess we have different ideas of brain damage. I don't use the word with that much intensity i mean it significantly can reduce your brain function in certain areas. I don't mean you will be a drewling tard who can't form a sentence. I'm sure there are research chemicals that i don't know about which can cause more damage / changes in the brain than MDMA but i still rate MDMA as one of the top . And no not even from frequent weekly abuse, i mean even once a month. What other chemical do you know about that people tell you , you must wait at LEAST 1 month to do it again. And even that is too soon, MDMA is a beautiful chemical but i think it leaves a lasting impression on everyones mind. It's just too powerful, i still think of the experiences i've had on it almost every day even though it's been years since i dosed.

having experienced a high dose of DXM (800mg)

well if i had to rename DXM it would be 'Retardamine'
lol very brain damaging i think, i couldnt see straight for 6 days!!!!
Oh yeah I forgot about dxm...... my brain hurt so bad after but I was also on antidepressants....yeah I lnow bad, really bad but I really didn't give a fuck.

Aside from people having brain damage from lack of oxygen during an OD, or somebody trying to kill themselves with horrible drug cocktails, I don't really hear that much about people just using over time and then suddenly they're "brain-damaged"....I hear of people dying from ODs, I've known people who have devleoped mental health issues, but not really stories about gradual use of anything causing "brain damage"...

I don't think it's the kind of thing where its like:
If you use MDMA twice a month your fine , but that third time, watch out you'll catch the brain damage!!
you should always be careful not to over-do it with any mind-altering substance, but the idea that you should incorporate HR strategies specifically designed to prevent "brain damage" is kind of funny....

the question is kind of ridiculous.....

but the idea that you should incorporate HR strategies specifically designed to prevent "brain damage" is kind of funny....

I wonder how would be taking vitamins and supplements "kind of funny". I find those two beneficial even without chemicals frying my brain. Dont get me wrong, not hypin' but hey how bad could it be?

I get your point about people pulling those numbers outa hats like that twice mdma per month shizz, tho

but the idea that you should incorporate HR strategies specifically designed to prevent "brain damage" is kind of funny....

The idea of incorporating safe drug practices into your life so you can continue to use substances without worrying about the risk is funny?? PLEASE, explain.

I don't think it's the kind of thing where its like:
If you use MDMA twice a month your fine , but that third time, watch out you'll catch the brain damage!!

I personally have never seen anyone say anything like this. I see people advising others that they shouldn't be doing MDMA more than once a month, but I often hear people describing the dangers of evening using that often. With every high there comes a risk, harm REDUCTION is about minimizing that risk as low as possible so you can still have just as much fun without the consequences.

It's up to you how far you want to take it, Bluelight is just here to give you the information you need to make an informed decision.