• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

When should I expect magic mushroom season to start in UK?

What's folks doing for drying? I've just got a batch from 22/10 and from today on some paper towels by the window. Probably go to buy a fan tomorrow and leave them under that for 24hrs before storing them with silica packets.

Brilliant read that, Limpet_Chicken.

Just been given a few doses from a recent pick in Devon - apparently there were shedloads to be had.

Still none [that I can find] in essex, tried pasture land, golf courses, parks, forests, verges... everywhere!! :D

Been getting revved up after readin all the replies on this thread and the booming picks over at the shroomery.

I am so scared though of the police it will be playing havok on my mind; each of my picks since the ban in 2005 have been preceded by a sleepless night in terror of getting caught. I would be shitting it all day from the time I started picking till I got safely home. I am thinking I will take a walk and maybe take a tester dose of a few fresh ones just to sample the therapeutic potential then if it does help alot I would feel maybe it was worth risking getting a years batch.

I guess from reading the size of the shroomery 2k16 thread that there are tons of ppl picking without apparent trouble with the law.

Last edited:
I should imagine that quite a high percentage of UK policemen couldn't give a damn about mushroom pickers and won't be pursuing the matter too vigorously.

What's folks doing for drying? I've just got a batch from 22/10 and from today on some paper towels by the window. Probably go to buy a fan tomorrow and leave them under that for 24hrs before storing them with silica packets.

Brilliant read that, Limpet_Chicken.

I dried mine with a fan and have them stored in a food container with some silica packets. It's not ideal but it should keep them for a couple of months.

Another trick is to use the acidicity of the phenolic -OH and form insoluble calcium phenate salts of psilocin.

May each and every pig have a miserable pigmas season. Santa can leave them a kick in the face under the christmas tree

Just stumbled upon about 20 rather large liberty caps. They were happily sitting just by the side of the road on a grass verge (where no one usually walks coz the pavement is on the other side of the road), metres from where I'm staying.

Nice. These are the first I seen this year in the South East (right down by the coast). This bodes well for a trip out tomorrow morning assuming I can be arsed when I wake up....

I should imagine that quite a high percentage of UK policemen couldn't give a damn about mushroom pickers and won't be pursuing the matter too vigorously.

That's an incredibly high opinion of your average police officer you have there.

If you ask me, any supocision of illegal activity will gladly be followed up by your average officer of the law.

Try and keep it on the down low, but never assume that the police will simply see you as a cheery fellow citizen who has found themselves on the unfortunate end of overtly harsh and unnecessary drug legislation.

They will see you as a criminal who requires reprimanding.

That's an incredibly high opinion of your average police officer you have there.

If you ask me, any supocision of illegal activity will gladly be followed up by your average officer of the law.

Try and keep it on the down low, but never assume that the police will simply see you as a cheery fellow citizen who has found themselves on the unfortunate end of overtly harsh and unnecessary drug legislation.

They will see you as a criminal who requires reprimanding.

They are still human beings (allegedly) and may have their own opinions on the matter. The whole concept of making any God-given living organism illegal is so utterly ludicrous that you would need to be thicker than rhinoceros shit not to see it, and yes, most of them must be pretty thick or they would never have even considered becoming police officers in the first place. But it must sometimes occur to them that some of these laws that they are required to enforce are just downright nonsensical, practically unenforceable, and amount to a waste of police time. Time which could otherwise be spent generating revenue via motorway speed traps etc. I haven't seen too many police officers patrolling farmland, marshland etc lately and don't expect that I will.
What or who gives these self-appointed overlords the right to write new laws anyway? If a law is truly a law it must apply equally to all the people. When we have policemen who are armed and a citizenry who are not permitted to arm themselves, even in self defense we have laws which are selectively applied and a fundamentally unjust system, aka tyranny.

They are still human beings (allegedly) and may have their own opinions on the matter. The whole concept of making any God-given living organism illegal is so utterly ludicrous that you would need to be...

Unfortunately, whilst that seem like obvious logic to us, it's not the most commonly adopted cultural belief system, by a long shot. I've even met drug users who thought that their consumption of recreational drugs was morally wrong and that it should remain a criminal offence.

I'm sure that there are police officers who consider the drug laws wrong... But what about their aging police commissioner, or sergeant who never even went near a joint except to place a person they never knew in custody? I've tried explaining the logic of the inherent immorality of drug laws to many people, and even though they can't remotely refute my argument (ever), with anything other than it's 'wrong', they are unanimously rigid in their beliefs.

I've got no doubt that most police forces won't actively be policing random fields, but their have been multiple reports on here of police activity around known mushroom locations. Either way, there isn't a doubt in my mind that a phone call to the police station from a vigalant dog walker about people collecting class A drugs from a field wouldn't result in the attempt at an arrest.

I'm just warning you, and anybody reading this, that this common idea that the police have more important things to do, generally doesn't apply in real life. Otherwise there wouldn't be people appearing in court/prison or with cautions for victimless crimes.

Last edited:
^please do not ID by contrasting with online photographs of libs! When starting out its very easy to think what you picked looks perfectly alike, then a few years down the line you realise it was just another small mushroom and possibly poisonous.

Like I say, go to shroomery and check out the UK liberty cap hunting thread! Those guys know their shit. That thread is quite simply the best way to clue yourself up in 2016. They're also a lot easier to ID when wet. Make sure you take some *high quality/decent* photos with your smart phone and post them there.

Although that's the correct answer as far as harm reduction is concerned, the reality of the matter is that Liberty caps are so distinctive that it is very easy to identify them just by using a good field guide. My definition of a good field guide is one that describes them as 'psychoactive' rather than 'poisonous' and includes photographs of them in wet and dry conditions.

There are no more than a dozen species of mushroom in the UK that can be considered poisonous (i.e. hazardous to health) as opposed to psychoactive - of which, only 2 or 3 are potentially deadly. NONE of these look even remotely like Libs. Only a complete imbecile could poison themselves by mistake.

Do people generally prefer the trip from shrooms over Lucy ?

I certainly do. I cut my teeth on mushrooms and have found acid to be disappointing ever since.

Drying them properly is the key to not getting gut rot during your trip.

As soon as you get home from your fungal foray, lay them out individually on sheets of newspaper without touching each other - making sure to remove ALL bits of grass and other shit. After a few hours, the maggots and fleas will abandon ship and die only a few mm away. Put in a dark, dry place and after 24 hours the caps should be a light tan colour, look shrivelled and feel a bit spongy. Discard any that look wet and/or manky - these are the gut rot guys.

After 48 - 72 hours, they can be sealed for storage. I used to make little packets out of cling film containing 40 tightly wrapped shrooms each. It doesn't matter if they still feel slightly spongy at this stage - I've had them last over a year using this method. My rule of thumb was '40 for a giggle, 80 for a trip, 120 for Nirvana...'

Drying them properly is the key to not getting gut rot during your trip.

As soon as you get home from your fungal foray, lay them out individually on sheets of newspaper without touching each other - making sure to remove ALL bits of grass and other shit. After a few hours, the maggots and fleas will abandon ship and die only a few mm away. Put in a dark, dry place and after 24 hours the caps should be a light tan colour, look shrivelled and feel a bit spongy. Discard any that look wet and/or manky - these are the gut rot guys.

After 48 - 72 hours, they can be sealed for storage. I used to make little packets out of cling film containing 40 tightly wrapped shrooms each. It doesn't matter if they still feel slightly spongy at this stage - I've had them last over a year using this method. My rule of thumb was '40 for a giggle, 80 for a trip, 120 for Nirvana...'

Yes matey, this was the tek. Although I added a fan in halfway through at the 24hr mark and left them for the same time again under the fan. Turned out fine. As for 120 = Nirvana, well a couple years ago I munched I think exactly that amount.. And lost my mind. Ended up face down at the side of the hiking trail with some Austrian tourists peering down at us. Couldn't do much other than mumble some gibberish, scratch me heed and stumble off.. Superb afterglow right enough but eeesh that was an intense gig..

Quite like 2/3g for going out a wander with some smokes and around the 5g mark for lounging at home, well trying to lounge at least.

Although that's the correct answer as far as harm reduction is concerned, the reality of the matter is that Liberty caps are so distinctive that it is very easy to identify them just by using a good field guide. My definition of a good field guide is one that describes them as 'psychoactive' rather than 'poisonous' and includes photographs of them in wet and dry conditions.

There are no more than a dozen species of mushroom in the UK that can be considered poisonous (i.e. hazardous to health) as opposed to psychoactive - of which, only 2 or 3 are potentially deadly. NONE of these look even remotely like Libs. Only a complete imbecile could poison themselves by mistake.

My post wasn't intended to advocate harm reduction (as such), the intended gist was simply to recommend people not to ID by contrasting with online photographs (due to the fact that somebody a few pages back suggested this to a new user). If you know so little about mushroom picking that you're having to buy a book/check online (i.e many new users recently, and at this time every year), then I would definitely not suggest contrasting online photographs.

The reason for this is two-fold.

1. Googling Psilocybe semilanceata, or liberty caps, has traditionally brought up photos of completely different species. Even the wikipedia page used to have images of the wrong mushrooms. Some look remotely like them, and some definitely don't. Essentially, doing this brings up a range of different mushroom species. This can be quite confusing and lead to misconceptions about the range of ways in which a liberty cap can look. Which brings me to my second point.

2. When out picking those first few times, it's fairly common to find a range of lookalike species and to be certain that this is the one, when in actual fact, as it turns out, it isn't. The most common that I see are Mycena and Panaeolus mushrooms (I know this because I initially did exactly this and had them ID'd at shroomery, and have witnessed others doing exactly the same thing). Not necessarily poisonous, but not libs. There are also some rather suspect looking bright yellow/orange and white lookalikes which I spot on a fairly regular basis. - The problem is that to somebody new to this, their subjective opinion of what is yellow/brown, or what constitutes the telltale nipple etc etc, is informed by limited knowledge and as such, highly subjective and open to fault. Not to mention that these threads are viewed internationally.

Whether or not there are 'no more than' (?) a dozen poisonous species, I'm fairly certain that many, many mushrooms in the UK are considered inedible for various reasons, and as such I don't think it would require an imbecile to poison themselves when consuming large amounts of unidentified mushrooms; especially if the person in question has little knowledge of the habitats that semilanceata are capable of growing in, or if their opinion of what said mushroom looks like has been skewered by a google image search. I seem to remember a regular user posting a bunch of 'liberty caps' he found in a forest a few years back (I can't remember if he consumed them or not [they don't grow in forests btw, for anyone who doesn't know]).

Either way, my point is that contrasting photos online could easily lead to picking the wrong mushroom, which isn't going to have a psychoactive effect, at the very best.

Shroomery is free, fast, and tried and tested, so I personally just send people there. We get a lot of users requesting forum ID's. We can't
ID them here, but many of us can (and do) ID them there. :)

Last edited:
Conocybe filaris could be confused with P.semilanceata but C.filaris has a rust brown sporeprint, whilst psilocybes are all violaceous-black printers.

Fubar there are many many many toxic species in the UK.

ALL inocybes must be avoided, most are full of muscarine, not tiny quantities like fly agaric, but many, esp. I.patillouardii (red stainer) and I.napipes are the most toxic in this genus but no inocybe should ever be eaten. NONE of them, most are poisonous, the two I mentioned contain the highest level of muscarine.

Cortinarius spp. Those in the subgenus Leprocybe (or is it Dermocybe, I forget) such as C.speciosissimus, C.gentilis, C.orellanus, contain a slow-acting nephrotoxin, orellanine, and it can take up to a month for signs of toxicity to show.

Amanitas-some contain amatoxins, these are those related to the deathcap (A.phalloides) as well as A.verna (spring amanita, fool's mushroom) amd A.virosa. There are also nephrotoxic species in the Amanita family, such as A.smithiana, possibly A.echinocephala. A.proxima A/sphaerobulbosa. and A.pseudophorphyria (toxins chlorocrotylglycine, allenic norleucine [2-amino-4,5-hexadienoic acid])

Conocybes, Galerinas, many of the small Lepiotas contain amatoxins also,

Sulfur tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare) contains some amatoxins plus a bunch of nasty ass shit called fasciculols, caused liver failure, neurologic symptoms, possibly blindness)

Tricholoma ustale is highly toxic, common cause of mushroom posoning in japan. T.pardinum is possibly present in britain, but if so very rare, very violent but unlikely to be fatal, gastrointestinal tox.

Clitocybe dealbata, C.rivulosa, muscarine, lots of it, deadly.

C.nebularis-clouded agaric can be toxic to some people but not all.

Gyromitra (false morels) contain gyromitrin, a precursor to monomethylhydrazine, also known as lorchels, the toxin inhibits GABA synthesis via fucking up the vitamin B6 pathway.

Some coprinus such as C.atrementarius (common ink cap) act like antabuse/disulfiram, nonlethal but will make you so sick you will wish you were dead if you drink whilst on it, does the same thing as metronidazole, and disulfiram, inhibits aldehyde dehydrogenase)

Paxillus involutus/brown roll rim can cause a delayed autoimmune haemolysis, was considered safe for a long time, but eventually causes an autoimmune reaction, allergy to a complex sugar thingy in it, and then once the toxicity occurs, it bursts red blood cells, fucking up kidneys and of course impeding oxygen transport.

Some Boletus can be deadly, the B.satanas clade, such as B.satanas, B.satanoides, B.rhodoxanthus, don't eat red pored boletes, most are toxic, thw roxin in B.satanas is called bolesatine, its a cytotoxic lectin, like ricin, violent GI irritant, not usually lethal but can be.

B.pulcherrimus, toxin I don't know.

Purple dye polypore-toxin is polyporic acid, delayed fulminant encephalohapy

Pleurocybella porrigens (angel wing) contains an unstable toxin, pleurocybellaziridine, lethal to those with kidney impairment especially, causes fulminant, fatal encephalopathy

Podostroma cornu-damae a japanese nasty, contains trichothecene mycotoxins such as T2 toxin, many toxic effects, has a relative in the UK that looks like hare's ear, but grey, don't know if its toxic but don't eat it, guilty by association. as little as a half gram has killed people (1g was enough to kill two people) compared to the deathcap (Amanita phalloides) which can take about 50g to kill.

Ergots are useful for producing LSD precursors, but themselves, no chemistry done on/with them, they cause hallucinatory effects, convulsions and gangrene, fatal. Complex mixture of toxins but mostly ergopeptides like ergotamine, which are powerful vasoconstrictors. Claviceps paspali also contains paspalitrem, a tremorogenic mycotoxin.

There's also Neotyphodium lolii, produces tremorogenic toxins, plus ergovaline, an ergoteptid.

Tricholoma equestre-needs multiple meals to poison, eaten within a short time, about a week, contains some nasty stuff that causes rhabdomyolysis, formerly considered a good edible. Russula subnigricans also rhabdomyolysis, toxin I think is cycloprop-2-ene-carboxylic acid.

Blusher (haemolyic poison, rubescenslysin, edible if twice cooked throwing water away each time and changing for fresh water then cook again as desired for your meal)

Amanita pantherina contains not only muscimol/ibotenic acid (the latter decarboxylates with heat into muscimol) but also contains some EXTREMELY powerful excitotoxins, stizolobic and stizolobinic acid)

Clitocybe acromelalga and C.amnoelens contain acromelic acids, kainate receptor-agonist excitotoxins, causes a severely painful neuropathy that can last for years, even as long as a decade, pain relieved temporarily by immersing area in cold water, not usually lethal)

There ya go, a list of the worst offenders of the bunch.

Omphalotus spp-extremely rare, glow in the dark, not deadly but most unpleasant GI toxicity, toxins are the illudins, related to a toxin found in male fern and bracken, ptaquiloside, bracken also contains cyanide and thiaminases, enzymes that are thermostable and destroy vitamin B1 (thiamine) in the body) these ferns, incidentally, are lethally toxic/ The ptilaquoside and presumably the illudins are extremely carcinogenic and nasty ass neurotoxins.

Also Entoloma sinuatum, not always lethal but can be, rapid onset of poisoing, toxin unknown, mode of action primarily GI, but neurological symptoms also. Really, really really nasty fuckin' customer.

And there are plenty plenty fungi that whilst not lethal will make you sick as hell.

Yours mycotoxicologically,

the Limpet Chicken

Last edited:
Fubar there are many many many toxic species in the UK.

ALL inocybes must be avoided, most are full of muscarine, not tiny quantities like fly agaric, but many, esp. I.patillouardii (red stainer) and I.napipes are the most toxic in this genus but no inocybe should ever be eaten. NONE of them, most are poisonous, the two I mentioned contain the highest level of muscarine.

Cortinarius spp. Those in the subgenus Leprocybe (or is it Dermocybe, I forget) such as C.speciosissimus, C.gentilis, C.orellanus, contain a slow-acting nephrotoxin, orellanine, and it can take up to a month for signs of toxicity to show.

Amanitas-some contain amatoxins, these are those related to the deathcap (A.phalloides) as well as A.verna (spring amanita, fool's mushroom) amd A.virosa. There are also nephrotoxic species in the Amanita family, such as A.smithiana, possibly A.echinocephala. A.proxima A/sphaerobulbosa. and A.pseudophorphyria (toxins chlorocrotylglycine, allenic norleucine [2-amino-4,5-hexadienoic acid])

Conocybes, Galerinas, many of the small Lepiotas contain amatoxins also,

Sulfur tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare) contains some amatoxins plus a bunch of nasty ass shit called fasciculols, caused liver failure, neurologic symptoms, possibly blindness)

Tricholoma ustale is highly toxic, common cause of mushroom posoning in japan. T.pardinum is possibly present in britain, but if so very rare, very violent but unlikely to be fatal, gastrointestinal tox.

Clitocybe dealbata, C.rivulosa, muscarine, lots of it, deadly.

C.nebularis-clouded agaric can be toxic to some people but not all.

Gyromitra (false morels) contain gyromitrin, a precursor to monomethylhydrazine, also known as lorchels, the toxin inhibits GABA synthesis via fucking up the vitamin B6 pathway.

Some coprinus such as C.atrementarius (common ink cap) act like antabuse/disulfiram, nonlethal but will make you so sick you will wish you were dead if you drink whilst on it, does the same thing as metronidazole, and disulfiram, inhibits aldehyde dehydrogenase)

Paxillus involutus/brown roll rim can cause a delayed autoimmune haemolysis, was considered safe for a long time, but eventually causes an autoimmune reaction, allergy to a complex sugar thingy in it, and then once the toxicity occurs, it bursts red blood cells, fucking up kidneys and of course impeding oxygen transport.

Some Boletus can be deadly, the B.satanas clade, such as B.satanas, B.satanoides, B.rhodoxanthus, don't eat red pored boletes, most are toxic, thw roxin in B.satanas is called bolesatine, its a cytotoxic lectin, like ricin, violent GI irritant, not usually lethal but can be.

B.pulcherrimus, toxin I don't know.

Purple dye polypore-toxin is polyporic acid, delayed fulminant encephalohapy

Pleurocybella porrigens (angel wing) contains an unstable toxin, pleurocybellaziridine, lethal to those with kidney impairment especially, causes fulminant, fatal encephalopathy

Podostroma cornu-damae a japanese nasty, contains trichothecene mycotoxins such as T2 toxin, many toxic effects, has a relative in the UK that looks like hare's ear, but grey, don't know if its toxic but don't eat it, guilty by association. as little as a half gram has killed people (1g was enough to kill two people) compared to the deathcap (Amanita phalloides) which can take about 50g to kill.

Ergots are useful for producing LSD precursors, but themselves, no chemistry done on/with them, they cause hallucinatory effects, convulsions and gangrene, fatal. Complex mixture of toxins but mostly ergopeptides like ergotamine, which are powerful vasoconstrictors. Claviceps paspali also contains paspalitrem, a tremorogenic mycotoxin.

There's also Neotyphodium lolii, produces tremorogenic toxins, plus ergovaline, an ergoteptid.

Tricholoma equestre-needs multiple meals to poison, eaten within a short time, about a week, contains some nasty stuff that causes rhabdomyolysis, formerly considered a good edible. Russula subnigricans also rhabdomyolysis, toxin I think is cycloprop-2-ene-carboxylic acid.

Blusher (haemolyic poison, rubescenslysin, edible if twice cooked throwing water away each time and changing for fresh water then cook again as desired for your meal)

Amanita pantherina contains not only muscimol/ibotenic acid (the latter decarboxylates with heat into muscimol) but also contains some EXTREMELY powerful excitotoxins, stizolobic and stizolobinic acid)

Clitocybe acromelalga and C.amnoelens contain acromelic acids, kainate receptor-agonist excitotoxins, causes a severely painful neuropathy that can last for years, even as long as a decade, pain relieved temporarily by immersing area in cold water, not usually lethal)

There ya go, a list of the worst offenders of the bunch.

Omphalotus spp-extremely rare, glow in the dark, not deadly but most unpleasant GI toxicity, toxins are the illudins, related to a toxin found in male fern and bracken, ptaquiloside, bracken also contains cyanide and thiaminases, enzymes that are thermostable and destroy vitamin B1 (thiamine) in the body) these ferns, incidentally, are lethally toxic/ The ptilaquoside and presumably the illudins are extremely carcinogenic and nasty ass neurotoxins.

Also Entoloma sinuatum, not always lethal but can be, rapid onset of poisoing, toxin unknown, mode of action primarily GI, but neurological symptoms also. Really, really really nasty fuckin' customer.

And there are plenty plenty fungi that whilst not lethal will make you sick as hell.

Yours mycotoxicologically,

the Limpet Chicken

Heh, I was awaiting your input Mr. Resident mycologist =D

But correct me if I'm wrong, none of those species you mention look anything remotely like P.semilanceata do they?

I was correcting fubar's statement about 'only 5-6 real nasties'

Oh and P.cyanescens and Galerinas can REALLLLLLLY closely resemble each other.

If picking cyans, you must print each and every single fucking one. Sever the stipe from the pileus, and leave side by side, so they are in matching pairs, then any rust-brown printers, toss em, or die. I know which I'd choose.