• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

When should I expect magic mushroom season to start in UK?

deruyityn

Bluelighter
Start of september iirc? really itching for some relief from the monotony and oppression of mainstream shit culture.

Was thinking of getting some truffles but I guess another month will come around fast.

It takes me an hour to get out to the spot I used to pick. Sure it is a lovely walk either way so not much of an issue if non were found; but wouldnt want too many failed attempts since it costs a bit on the train and would add up.

I usually find the best date range to be >15th August and <15th October here in England

It can vary a bit from season to season and depending on your location. I usually keep an eye out from late August onwards as I'm walking about. I wait until they are concentrated enough before I go out picking. It's usually near the end of September before my spots really start to produce.

I think that for p.semilanceata to fruit that there needs to be a certain period where daytime temperatures are below 15c and night time temperatures are below 10c.

An easy one for me to never forget is because the first time i ever went forraging and partook of the shrooms was 'O' level results day. I think that's usually mid August. Although if shrooms are like other natural beings in the Spring they tend to start their season a few weeks earlier in the South of the UK and reach the north of Scotland several weeks later. I dunno if the same thing applies to late summer/the approach of Autumn and to shrooms.

I picked mine in Mid Wales btw, really plentyfull supplies at that time of year. They grew everywhere; even on my Grandmothers lawn!

All of my spots are local lawns %)

haha, in very general terms they tend to prefer fields next to rivers, and especially those fields that have lots of cows. The shrooms tend to spring up in clumps where a cowpat must once have been, and after nature has taken its course on the cowpat so that practically all trace of it has gone it must leave those patches particularly fertile and favorable for shrooms.

Ever wondered why they taste like shit? :D

Aye they're generally much more abundant on our local cricket grounds and golf courses but the gardens are much more convenient for me (there's also the ever-present rumour that the groundskeepers spray some nasty fungicide that's going to kill you or give a permanent trip 8)). All the well-known spots in town tend to be picked barren but there's a patch of cyanescens on the same grounds as our most well-known spot (just happens to be one of her majesty's very secure judicial buildings) that never seems to get picked.

I don't think they taste too bad, it's just the texture that gets to me. I usually make tea anyway.

I've already been seeing quite a lot of Amanitas this year.

Since the novel lysergamides have become harder for me to get, I haven't tripped. I am very much looking forward to this season's offerings :D

Ive seem em all over the dublin mountains but fields with cows is where i used to hit the jackpot.

Some enterprising Brit should arrange walking tours. When I was in London I noticed that they had neighborhood walking tours to get tourists out of all the usual touristy sites and into something more interesting. Then there are all those in my demographic (ancient=D) that pay good money to go on a "Walking Tour of the British Isles". Those have never interested me until now. I would sign up for the one with dates from mid August to October, preferably led by someone with BL credentials that mentioned sampling local fungi from private gardens, cracks in pavement, cow patties (forget the golf courses!) etc. Imagine how interesting the list of "What to bring" would be. Instead of walking sticks and a rain jacket it could be fire poi and empty gel caps.;)

Good idea, only problem is that mushroom picking has been criminalised. :( AFAIK in the word of the law you could get down on all 4s and eat them directly from the ground without ever touching them; that way you'd never be caught "in possession." But that is probably just an urban (or rural) myth.

Because of the ever increasingly draconian drugs laws you'd need someone with excellent local knowledge who'd know by word of mouth where if there were not only no police patrols but also no vigilant "do gooders" who would phone the police once they spotted a group of people and suspected what was going on, or other advice on what to be wary of. It could have been a great idea for a BL meet up otherwise. :D

I can't help but smile to myself thinking of some nosey old churchey type resident spotting 3-15 (i was gonna say hippies/druggies but judging by the pics members have posted most people on BL look completely 'normal') individuals traipsing the fields oh so very slowly, and all bent over in a deep stoop scanning the grass intently for tiny white fungi. :) It's not really the sort of thing that you can do 'acting innocent' as a slow pace and a gaze that wouldn't miss almost literally a needle in a haystack are all but vital. Some people may get lucky on occassion and spot some without even being actively looking for them, but that's pretty unusual imo. ;)

Good idea, only problem is that mushroom picking has been criminalised. :( AFAIK in the word of the law you could get down on all 4s and eat them directly from the ground without ever touching them; that way you'd never be caught "in possession." But that is probably just an urban (or rural) myth.

Because of the ever increasingly draconian drugs laws you'd need someone with excellent local knowledge who'd know by word of mouth where if there were not only no police patrols but also no vigilant "do gooders" who would phone the police once they spotted a group of people and suspected what was going on, or other advice on what to be wary of. It could have been a great idea for a BL meet up otherwise. :D

I can't help but smile to myself thinking of some nosey old churchey type resident spotting 3-15 (i was gonna say hippies/druggies but judging by the pics members have posted most people on BL look completely 'normal') individuals traipsing the fields oh so very slowly, and all bent over in a deep stoop scanning the grass intently for tiny white fungi. :) It's not really the sort of thing that you can do 'acting innocent' as a slow pace and a gaze that wouldn't miss almost literally a needle in a haystack are all but vital. Some people may get lucky on occassion and spot some without even being actively looking for them, but that's pretty unusual imo. ;)

We could pretend like we are volunteers on field mice patrol. My late friend Jake used to go out at night for "Badger Patrol" with what sounded like a hilarious and eclectic group of animal lovers. On the other hand, I've always wanted to become a test case of some sort once I'm truly white haired and non-threatening looking and the thought of staging a media event while I got down (painfully, mind you) on all fours and gobbled some of the little fellas up without ever once actually picking (thus possessing) them. =D

We could pretend like we are volunteers on field mice patrol. My late friend Jake used to go out at night for "Badger Patrol" with what sounded like a hilarious and eclectic group of animal lovers. On the other hand, I've always wanted to become a test case of some sort once I'm truly white haired and non-threatening looking and the thought of staging a media event while I got down (painfully, mind you) on all fours and gobbled some of the little fellas up without ever once actually picking (thus possessing) them. =D

You are full of enterprising and good ideas i have to say. ;)

Personally though if I ever do go picking again I'd like to keep it as low profile as possible, preferably in the most deserted of locations with not a soul in sight (there are loads of such places in Mid-Wales), and wide vistas so that i can revert from picking mode to rambler mode if i spot other people, or even worse, the landowner who will always be angry if i didnt ask his permission to walk on his land.

I think it's realistic rather than pessimistic to think that they'd always make some excuse to refuse, unless you knew them and were on good terms with them. On a hot summers day in the village i had grown up in and knew everyone after a previous farmer had told me off for walking on his fields without asking his permission i thought i'd do the right thing and ask the landwoner with lakes in their land for their consent to go swimming in them; to my amazement the sour old biddy declined stating that 'there are fish in the lakes and that i would disturb them.' 8o :sus:

So yeah i'd take my chances next time and not bother asking as i'm by now some 25 years out of being on good terms with any land owners. 8(

Last edited:
Golf courses. Few weeks to go yet through to late sept depending on weather. Scotland, west coast.

Hey guys I came across this report yesterday by chance of an actual arrest for picking; whereas you guys had alluded in the past that it was an urban myth anyone would ever get arrested for it.

If that person got a caution does that mean they were just given a slap on the wrist? I have never been in trouble with police so don't really know but I do recall on police docs that they would get cautioned for being caught with a joint.

I have had intense anxiety the last times I would go out picking since they have been illegal. I would hardly sleep a wink the night before and my allergies would be going haywire.

It would kind of be alot easier to just buy truffles on the net. It sucks because I really enjoy the ritual of taking a day out to pick enjoying the lovely countryside and you come home with that reward and all the day's adventure you can reflect on it if you have a brew and it makes it all the sweeter. But that is fucking ruined if I am in an almost panic attack state in constant flight or flight worrying about getting caught. Because it is a really 'bait' thing standing on your own in a massive open field on a high hilltop crouching over. So obvious what is going on and no cover. I thought today it would be good to use an army gilly suit for this :p for stealth.

But regarding the caution if worst came to worse is it just a slap on the wrist? It would still fucking suck having to go through the rigmarole of getting taken to the police station though etc.

Ye a caution is a slap on the wrist. If ya see the old bill id just drop em and stand all over them and act dumb. Tell them your looking for edible mushys instead of standing their like a dope with a bag of liberty caps...

Ye a caution is a slap on the wrist. If ya see the old bill id just drop em and stand all over them and act dumb. Tell them your looking for edible mushys instead of standing their like a dope with a bag of liberty caps...

No, a caution is not just 'a slap on the wrist'. They take your fingerprints, photo and DNA, and It will show up on every police CRB check for at least 5 years, possibly affecting future employment prospects. Plus, once they've got your DNA, they ain't giving it back!.

For a minor first offence, you might be offered an RJ - 'Restorative Justice'. This doesn't show up on CRB checks and is just a slap on the wrist - but you're still a marked man. Offend again and you're fucked.

Mushroom season doesn't start until September at the earliest. Early October is usually the best time.

Last edited:
No, a caution is not just 'a slap on the wrist'. They take your fingerprints, photo and DNA, and It will show up on every police CRB check for at least 5 years, possibly affecting future employment prospects. Plus, once they've got your DNA, they ain't giving it back!.
I stand corrected so. Back in my day there was no taking dna. Im irish so laws would differ. I also never got cautioned, only charged so what the fuck would i know about it, i should have kept my mouth shut...

Personally though if I ever do go picking again I'd like to keep it as low profile as possible, preferably in the most deserted of locations with not a soul in sight (there are loads of such places in Mid-Wales), and wide vistas so that i can revert from picking mode to rambler mode if i spot other people, or even worse, the landowner who will always be angry if i didnt ask his permission to walk on his land.

Welsh farmers, yesterday, today, tomorrow, etc...

NSFW:
farmerpalmer.jpg

GET ORF MOI LAAAAAAAND!!!

That aside, my picking days are probably behind me. Places are so badly overpicked by teenagers the last thing they need is more picking. Plus I can't be arsed getting up at the crack of dawn to traipse around sodden fields with the everpresent risk of being shot by a grumpy farmer. Homespawn is the way forward for me I reckon.

My picking days are probably over too tbh, i just get semi-interested every time someone posts this question around this time of year.

Btw English farmers can be just as bad, although i am basing that on just 1 bad experience as a young kid out with my family for the day. Unfortunately I cannot remember for the life of me whereabouts in England it was. It was probably one of the National Parks and somehow we'd managed to stray onto private land. The Welsh farmer i encountered in my late teens was no where near as aggressive, though we did know each other and were on fairly good terms which must have helped, plus i didn't get into an argument with him about his aggressiveness like my Step-Dad did with the English farmer 8(.

Also on one other occasion in Wales one of my school friends had told me of a place to get great conkers, once again the farmer spotted me and came over and gave me the whole "ask permission" sphiel, but he was quite reasonable about the whole thing, but firm enough to make sure that I knew that he was no push over and that I should not repeat that mistake on his land again without asking. His conkers weren't all that great anyway. ;)

So i haven't encountered many landowners when wandering private fields, i usually tried to get out of view of any roads or houses as quickly as possible. But I must have done that sort of thing hundreds of times growing up where I did where 'everywhere was all fields' so ime the chances of being spotted by the landowner are very very low.

I think that in parts of Wales though there are far more places completely out of view of any roads where you are less likely to encounter anybody at all, especially if you've been lucky enough to find a spot no one else seems to know about. Obviously it helps enormously if you have a car, or at least a cycle, to get to such off the beaten path places. But then you need to park somewhere very discrete, or at least a good distance from your target fields, in case the farmer sees the car and comes looking for you, even though the passing traffic was so minimal you could sometimes go an hour or more without seeing another car in the middle of a mid-week day. 8o

Last edited: