• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What's the Point of Life?

meaning lies within knowing thyself. When you find yourself hungry, ask who is it that is hungry. when you are tired, who is tired? who is angry? .

I am I.

These question don't lead to enlightment or any real gnosis; I can't identify the meaning of life as being as simple as my own existence. Solipsism is a form of ego-delusion, as tempting as it may be.

I don't think there is a meaning to life; life isn't a question, or a possibility, but an experience. Somethings don't have meanings; my cup of tea doesn't.

Gnothi Seauton -

I find it ironic that the entrance to the oracles wonderland (an oracle suspected to be using inhalants) intones "KNOW THYSELF". One visits an oracle to seek divine information and is primarily told to look into oneself over others.

PAX. <3

Such a simple question. Unfortunately it also drives me fucking nuts. Partly because I think I have a seemingly eternal desire for a 'point' but I seem to be convinced at the same time that there isn't one.

I have a hard time 'creating my own meaning'. It feels fake to me. I feel like it's a denial of life's inherent meaninglessness. Though 'resting' in that meaningless doesn't make me feel any better :!

We are here as part of an evolution that will one day find the answer to the aforementioned question.

In the meantime just go with the flow.

Such a simple question. Unfortunately it also drives me fucking nuts. Partly because I think I have a seemingly eternal desire for a 'point' but I seem to be convinced at the same time that there isn't one.

I have a hard time 'creating my own meaning'. It feels fake to me. I feel like it's a denial of life's inherent meaninglessness. Though 'resting' in that meaningless doesn't make me feel any better :!

But if you can truly accept how meaningless it all is, then you are free from the shackles of responsibility! Without meaning, there is no imperative. Without imperative, there is no direction. Without direction, we may roam wherever we please!

We are here physically for infinitely boring reasons like eating, sleeping, shitting, but mentally we are here to interact and effect others around us. We're here, to be here experiencing this. We're here for the moment, why not sit back and enjoy it without questioning it. The question is the answer. We're here to live our lives in these physical bodies for a while before we die to go back into the earth.

But if you can truly accept how meaningless it all is, then you are free from the shackles of responsibility! Without meaning, there is no imperative. Without imperative, there is no direction. Without direction, we may roam wherever we please!

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to communicate in the thread on the beauty of death. I don't think that a total freedom from responsibility is a positive thing, however.

I agree with the above post. You don't need to "create" meaning in life. It's a part of you, and you experience it every day.

I agree with the above post. You don't need to "create" meaning in life. It's a part of you, and you experience it every day.
"need to" depends on the person and their life. The impulse to create meaning perhaps can be turned on or deactivated by others. Maybe not. Either way, choice or need, its something up to the individual but very influenced by others.

There is no point. You were the fastest sperm. Enjoy your prize.

Judging by the self-assured attitude everyone here seems to have about the meaning of life it would appear that the point of life is to work for a bumper-sticker slogan company.
I suppose it is.

my favorite quote :)

"There's only no point if that point never pierces."

The point of a life is only definable by the actions that life takes. So far, it would appear the point to your life is to question where you are the sharpest, and what you should use to pierce reality. It's not what you want to do, it's what effect you want to have. Want to produce life? Destroy life? Protect life? Pervert life? Prolong life? P.P.P point is what you make it.

I think that you can get so many different answers when you ask the question 'what is the point of life' depending on who you ask that either they are all wrong except one person (perhaps) or else they are all kind of right.

I think that the point of existance is whatever you think it is; in otherwords it's down to you. Whatever you think the point of your existance is, that is true for you, even if you think existance is meaningless (in which case it is).

At the moment there isn't much point to my existance, except perhaps to find one. Working out your goals in life (however you want to phrase it) is important enough for this to count.

i think the meaning of life is to live the way you want and do what you want and try to connect with other people who see life as you do. I think thats why weed is consider a social drug because when everyone is high they all seem to think the same and become more understanding than they would if they sober.

Life IS the point.

Physically and genetically our purpose is to survive.

I think that the fact that we are conscious and each have a "soul" is enough to prove there's something more to this reality. I don't think science, at least at the atomic level, can find an explanation for the soul. Logically, scientifically, we should simply be robots.

Our think our phyiscal bodies are like a vessel for our souls, whatever the hell the soul is. I'm really curious to die, and see what happens. I'll probably lose all my thoughts and memories, but I'm seriously so down to die.

Is the point of life the same for the collective of humanity as it is for an individual?