Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Twentieth Century Women (Annette Bening,Greta Gerwig, Elle Fanning, Lucas Jade Zumann and Billy Crudup) and really liked it. Went out the very next day and saw Lion( Dev Patel) --if you do not feel shamefully privileged after seeing this movie maybe you need to do a double feature with Pixote. I plan on seeing Paterson tomorrow before it leaves. Bring tissues if you go see Lion.

Saw Twentieth Century Women (Annette Bening,Greta Gerwig, Elle Fanning, Lucas Jade Zumann and Billy Crudup) and really liked it. Went out the very next day and saw Lion( Dev Patel) --if you do not feel shamefully privileged after seeing this movie maybe you need to do a double feature with Pixote. I plan on seeing Paterson tomorrow before it leaves. Bring tissues if you go see Lion.

ive seen all of the best picture nominated movies. and i think lion was the best. i was enthralled the whole movie.

im going to see a cure for wellness tonight

saw cure for wellness and my god was it bad. was a confusing mess with tons of plot holes and "Why didint he just?" moments.

5/10

could of been good,but tried to hard.

Last edited:
Fire Walk with Me was a huuuuugggee disappointment. I was expecting much more from the Twin Peaks film. Should have known I'd be left with more questions and even less answers.

I can't give it a rating. As a Twin Peaks fan, I had to see it; the show is much, much better though.

Watched Mulholland Dr. last night; it was very confusing at first but after finishing and reading some clues about how to put things together, I finally understood what people like about it. Honestly I'm growing a bit tired of Lynch's forced confusion aspect of his films, though I realize this is all part of his desire to create a dreamlike experience. It was a good film overall but it was a very hard payoff. The film was an unconventional mystery, and for that I appreciated it; however, I must say that the film offered little in terms of deeper meaning. After finishing it I don't feel the need to analyze it much, save for maybe a final second viewing.

7.8/10

Also watched O' Brother Where Art Thou last night, which was one of the best Coen brothers movies I've seen. Comedic in that funky playful way all their films are, I very much enjoyed it. It's loosely based on the Odyssey and it makes for a very fun plot. Three convicts escape the prison farm and go on a wild journey across Mississippi to find their hearts' desires, all the while with the law on their tail. Shenanigans ensue, odd characters abound, and all in all it's a very fun ride. George Clooney was fantastic in his role, as was every other actor. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet, it's on Netflix right now.

8.5/10

^ Mulholland Dr. is one of my all-time favorite films. Some people think that it's really complicated/confusing as far as the plot goes, but personally I don't think it's too complicated...

[spoil]Naomi Watts character is a crazy failed actress, and the entire opening half of the film is her delusional, wish-fulfillment fantasy of her "perfect life", in which she serves as the protector of her love interest (Laura Harring) during a weird Hollywood conspiracy. That's pretty much the gist of it. I actually think it's more straightforward than some of David Lynch's other movies.[/spoil]

I especially like that scene in which Rebekah Del Rio belts out "Llorando" in that old theater that the two main characters visit, that woman can sing. There are actually quite a few memorable scenes in Mulholland Dr.

Last edited:
I disliked that woman's singing honestly, I didn't appreciate it... but anyways, I wouldn't give away so much of the plot man, it took me most of the film to figure all that out. That overall (theater) scene is the trippiest part of the film though, and only makes sense once you've figured out what in sam heck is going on in the film; plus the lesbian love scene was top notch but I only say that out of a sexual capacity lol. The typical over-the-top acting should have given away more to me about the overall plot, but I just watched a bunch of Twin Peaks and the acting is the same there, without the 'twist' so to speak, so I didn't catch what was happening until it hit me right in the face.

You're very right though, it was definitely one of his easiest to understand works; I was left with the least questions to date about what one of his works was trying to get across hahah.

Last edited:
Midnight in Paris

It was a fantastic film, I loved every minute of this movie. Owen Wilson did a great job acting for the first time in any film I've seen him in. This is the second Woody Allen film I've seen, certainly starting to get a taste for his style (at least in the 21st century) and I really like it. The protagonist is a romantic, engaged to be married to a 'practical' woman with 'practical' parents and friends who are always doing a good job of calling Wilson's character a commie or some other left-leaning insult, or insulting him with their pretentious self-centeredness and pseudo-intellectualism. Wilson's character romanticizes the 1920s in Paris and as such transports back in time to there nightly through the film, eventually learning the truth behind the 'golden age' phenomena he and others experience, and what he truly desires out of life.

Overall, an amazing film, with surprisingly good acting from all involved. I'm going to watch it again and again. I cannot recommend it enough.

9/10

Last edited:
Arrival

I'm undecided about this film. On one hand, it was tense, atmospheric, kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time and the like; on the other, the ending was disappointing, and mind-fucky in the terrible way that a Christopher Nolan film is (aka not mind-fuckey at all really). The acting was great, particularly the lead redheaded actress. They integrate some sort of story about her child having cancer into it, and while you find out at the end why they bothered to annoy you with such a sob story, the payout is very low. Overall, it was a good sci-fi film, and seeing as I enjoyed 4/5ths of the film, I cannot say it was bad in the least. Rather, all I can say, is that the film failed to live up to the ending it seemed to be building up towards.

I liked it, but I would never see it again; it's a one trick pony.

6.8/10

On a side note, the director is the same guy who is directing the new Bladerunner film; hopefully Ridley Scott will maintain influence on the direction, and keep us from a shitty C. Nolan plot twist at the end... We want Ridley dammit!

Last edited:
^ That was spot on. You are a little more forgiving with the rating than I would be though. I'd go 6.5/10 maybe because I feel 7 is a pretty big barrier to overcome, especially for a film that falls flat on its face in such an epic fashion.

I remain cautiously optimistic about Bladerunner. 2016 was a great year for movies and so far 2017 is on pace to be just as good or better.

I enjoyed Arrival so damn much up until the last 15 minutes or so; though I must admit, the ending of a film is usually the big pay off, the time to drive the point home, but instead they were just like, "Eh, this is too hard, we already made 4/5ths of a good film, let's just draw an ending out of a hat." I'll compromise and revise it to 6.8 hahah. It's like how I really wanted Mulholland Dr. to really hit me hard with the ending, but it felt somewhat hollow and forced; albeit, much better, but I enjoy a lot of Lynch stuff. Mulholland Dr. really left me wanting for more though. I still need to check out Blue Velvet, I'm hoping it will tickle my fancy better because I loved Twin Peaks and Dune was... well, okay, can't say I dislike seeing Kyle Mclaughlin and Patrick Stewart in a cheesy old sci-fi.

Anyone else seen Elle yet?

I really rather enjoyed it. Paul Verhoeven's latest (2016) darkly humourous (to me, anyway) French psychological thriller (w/subs) with some unexpected twists. Isabelle Huppert is in fine form here as the main protagonist. I probably need to see it again though to make sense of some of the lingering questions I have. My friend felt the same.

7/10

I'm impressed by his range of projects - from Total Recall and Starship Troopers to Turkish Delight and Elle.

I didn't know who he was at first, loved Starship Troopers, and Total Recall was at least... well, comical hahahah

I enjoyed the original Total Recall. Sharon Stone was particularly well cast, and he used her again in Basic Instinct, which was also pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.