Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to get it out there, our form F&TV is looking for a new moderator, at least one. I see several people here who I'd consider good candidates so please consider applying! As you know this is a pretty low key forum so the time commitment is not huge but it is a good stepping stone to greater things and a way to give back to the community. Would look forward to hearing from you guys!

SKL

sorry to bump for this again but we are still looking for applications
it is a low traffic and low key forum and a good way to start to get involved in BL
applications currently being accepted indefinitely but we would like someone ASAP within a week or two

Earlier this week I saw The Light Between Oceans. Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander were both stellar with their performances. Fassbender is a WWI vet with shell shock essentially, electing to take a job as a light house keeper on a lonely island. Vikander's character falls in love with him, they marry, she moves there. It gets exponentially more depressing and drama-ey after that point... It was a real tear-jerker. I quite liked it, but it wasn't exactly a happy story. At all.

I would recommend it if you like slow building dramas.
7/10

I watched a fascinating movie the other night that is really worth checking out

Human - A collection of stories about and images of our world, offering an immersion to the core of what it means to be human.

Tried signing up to Seeso the new 'Netflix for comedy streaming service', just to watch Doug Stanhope's new special produced by Johnny Depp, but can't even get the video to start playing...I think they're having issues as they're still in their infancy :!

american honey, the new film with shia lebouf, a really raw and real feeling performance from him, really enjoyed the direction style, all around the characters i felt were relateable to people i have met in my life, and the moments on the road, just some beautiful scenes, real banging soundtrack too :)

I just saw Hell or High Water. It was a pretty good modern Western, I quite enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine and the third guy... something Foster? I can't recall. Anyways, they all played their roles amazingly.

I'd give it an 8/10

Les Cowboys

second half of this film -- [spoil]after the dad dies[/spoil] -- is much better than the first. possibly because i spent much of the first half worrying it was going to be nonsense churned out to capitalize on a buzz issue. a super off-putting issue, islamic terrorist recruiting. which it kind of is. though it's also using something timely to convey classic themes. there's nothing special about its rephrasing of those themes. while i wouldn't go as low as to describe it as a thriller, it shares a lot of premise with Taken. it's actually a lesser In The Bedroom. not sure what expectations i had for it as online distribution lowers the bar for exporting cinema, but still disappointing. i had to watch a second of the trailer because i was at someone's house and could not rely on netflix's projected, tailored rating and cover art. it starts with a flipped car burning quietly in the road. reminded me of pt anderson. this tone is somewhat present in the film, but not well delivered and ends up adding to the blandness.

A Beautiful Now

been seeing a lot of central characters with specific mental illnesses as of late. read The Marriage Plot, which is also largely about bi-polar disorder. and Welcome To Me, which shares a similar lead character. again, wasn't at my house and wasn't using netflix. tried reading a blip of the description instead of watching a moment of the trailer. talked about reality, getting older, and facing failure in life. gave it a try. delivers like a film student's screenplay. not their very first, but still amateur. it struggles while attempting a disjointed delivery, often to the point of losing grip on continuity. the characters are too ridiculous for anything to be relatable. even a 30-year-old parker posey playing the bi-polar lead couldn't have saved this one.

I recently watched Outland with Sean Connery. I have it on DVD, seen it a couple times, but not all the way through in some years. It's a pretty sub-par movie, sub-par acting and cheesy effects; however, the premise and plot are certainly enthralling and I can't help but love a cheesy 80s sci-fi. I love the use of miniatures they used to have in sci-fi, nowadays the CGI effects just feel more fake somehow. Perhaps we're just not there yet. I'd say it'll be another decade-ish before the CGI will be convincing, till then I'll bitch and whine about how much better the 80s were for sci-fi :p

7/10 because Connery did a great job as always. Name of the Rose was not a blip on an otherwise downward trajectory, I submit!

I recently watched Outland with Sean Connery. I have it on DVD, seen it a couple times, but not all the way through in some years. It's a pretty sub-par movie, sub-par acting and cheesy effects; however, the premise and plot are certainly enthralling and I can't help but love a cheesy 80s sci-fi. I love the use of miniatures they used to have in sci-fi, nowadays the CGI effects just feel more fake somehow. Perhaps we're just not there yet. I'd say it'll be another decade-ish before the CGI will be convincing, till then I'll bitch and whine about how much better the 80s were for sci-fi :p

7/10 because Connery did a great job as always. Name of the Rose was not a blip on an otherwise downward trajectory, I submit!
get high and watch zardoz

:)

alasdair

Watched Arrival and Moonlight back to back the other day. Have to say, I enjoyed Moonlight much more.

i must watch moonlight asap.

It's definitely in my top five for the year. It had a pretty big emotional impact on me because I found myself relating to the main character quite a bit. It was almost unnerving how "real" everything felt. The acting was top notch.

Arrival was fine. I was disappointed but that's probably my fault for having such high expectations. The "twist" at the end felt empty to me and not that surprising or interesting.

i feel you on arrival. ending did feel like it was just slapped on, dunno if the short story was the same. getting off track but it woulda been so cool if that was like a mini-series and their relationship was... explored more, then the twist imo woulda hit harder. BUT I WATCH TOO MUCH SERIES/NETFLIX

dude i'm so going to see moonlight tonight :) no class this week. hype for it let's go!

Hacksaw Ridge is definitely worth checking out.

If you've seen the preview or extended trailer, than yes, you have essentially seen the entire plot of the movie simply laid out. Andrew Garfield did a really great job with the role and there were some really great battle scenes. It was directed by Mel Gibson, so like Braveheart type of battles but with guns and explosions instead of swords and arrows.

Big Eyes

biopics are terrible. no exception here. eccentric characters paired with the trending hollywood feminism. fellow audience was made up of biopic fans -- hence the selection -- and one even owns an art gallery; they also thought this movie is boring nothingness.

if the woman really was the first to do the westernized version of little girl anime eyes -- recently popularized by mark ryden -- that's an interesting factoid (on the note of feminism, i know his name but not hers). and there's like 30 seconds of a lana song that she did specifically for this movie. wiki the artist, youtube the song, skip the movie.

Last edited:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

I enjoyed it.. Plot was not as good as it may have been, but still good. I love the twenties so I dug it was set around then. Looking forward to the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.