• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What's something that makes you want to get sober?

I'm glad it's not just me out there then. I absolutely love my drugs and always have and most likely always will.

I definitely realize the potential of certain drugs to ruin my life (like meth or alcohol), so I try to keep those to "recreational", "every once in awhile" type deals (actually I haven't drank in 5 years now, where as before that I drank off & on for 15 years).
But like you said, opioids and cannabis bring me to a mental state where I can function. They help stabilize my mood too.

Back when I was younger and couldn't get an opioid or cannabis, I was very self destructive. It was like I was a completely different person. My mind and my body hurt constantly and all I could think about was popping any drug I could find (until I could find opiates/weed) for relief and destroy myself in the process. I never wanna go back to being that person. I'm a better person on my drugs honestly. This goes for all opioids too, including heroin. If I could be on a heroin-maintenance program (rather than bupe/methadone) I would probably be the type who could manage it responsibly and use it therapeutically. Hell, I been a heroin/opioid addict for about 12 years now and have never even once overdosed because I'm that careful. lol

I can remember times where I was 2 minutes from committing suicide and somebody would pop in and ask me if I wanna smoke a bowl & after I'd smoke I'd immediately be calmed down and even think to myself "omg, I can't believe I was gonna do that!".. People demonize drugs a lot. A lot of people like to blame drugs for their own choices and behavior, but I can think of several times where drugs have saved my life.

I absolutely hate my sober state too 100% lol. Asking me to be sober is like asking me to live a lifetime of extreme pain and agony.

I can understand wanting to stay sober to start a family though. Especially because of the law. Getting busted or caught up like that would definitely be unfair to your children. I'd say that's probably one of the best reasons to get sober. I hated watching my mom and family get blinding drunk as a kid. It often lead to violence and then I too became violent on alcohol once I got older.

I keep hoping that things will change in my life time and people will start to see drugs differently (and the people who use them) and maybe there will be legal paths to using the medicines we desire and need. The world has to stop thinking in this narrow frame of view that the only way to "truly live" is to have to live absolutely clean and sober. Some people should try to be sober (especially those who become violent on alcohol or people who become slutty and hypersexual on meth), but everyone is an individual and everyone's needs are different. Drugs can destroy some while completely saving others.

I would get into the subject about how opiates in the long term cause less organ and brain damage than almost any other drug (even legal ones) and how much misinformation and misunderstanding there is surrounding opiates, but I think I'm rambling too much already. haha

I wish you all the best friend!! Hang in there & all the best to you and your family, if you one day decide to start one! ;) Cheers!

EDIT : I see you were asking some one else about Baclofen. I tried baclofen for myoclonic jerks while also taking suboxone. It made me nauseous and sick, almost like alcohol would and I didn't get any craving relief from it. And no pain relief either or relief from my body jerks. But I also wasn't using higher doses that are indicated for addiction treatment. I've read that it's mostly successful in alcoholics & GHB addicts since it works on GABA B receptors. But for opioid addiction/dependence, in my experience with lower doses, it did nothing. I've also read that it messes with parts of the brain that can actually stop you from getting euphoria from any drugs after you've been on it long enough. You can also die if you stop taking baclofen abruptly. Have you thought about being on Bupe or Methadone instead?
My two years of sobriety were indeed worse then being under influence. And it kept going occasionally increasing in intensity. Soberness a few day's suck's, life long seem's like a nightmare

Those two years were the worst of my life. I did nothing, felt almost nothing and made me a lazy slug.

I couldn't agree more! I'm glad to hear your grandfather turned his life around. Not only did it change the course of his own life but I'm sure it did your moms, for sure!
I sort of understand my sister though. We have some pretty bad mental health shit in our genetics and I can kind of see why she just didn't want to hang on anymore. I can only hope she found peace.

Bupe will definitely throw you into precipitated withdrawals. If you wait long enough though, it can be a bridge. Once your tolerance drops and if you use the right doses of bupe, it starts to sort of be very similar to methadone. I've been on it for 5 years or more and some days I can still feel it. But the effects are very inconsistent after you've been on it long enough. Some days I feel great! And then some days I'll feel effects from it, but it's mostly just extreme lethargy, sedation, nods, but no euphoria or mood lift. And all the side effects of an opiate (except maybe itching). Using cannabis or thc can knock it up a level that helps with heroin cravings for me.

Bupe can be an amazing life saving tool. But after awhile, I was back to craving full agonists cause bupe was just barely tickling my receptors. Almost taunting me. lol
It's not an easy decision to make, to get on these super long acting maintenance meds, so I can understand your hesitation. It takes a lot of commitment.

Hope you have a great weekend friend!
Cheers~!
Yeah, my mom was permanently put off from drinking because of how it affected her dad and family life growing up, but she really admires my grandpa for overcoming his addiction. My aunts were less phased by it and still drink heavily from time to time. The only thing I find odd about my mom is that as square as she is aside from smoking pot on rare occasions, she wound up with my dad (an alcoholic who started using meth at one point to stay drunk without passing out--weird, I know), then after they got divorced she dated another drinker who turned out to be a crackhead (but eventually recovered), then after him she dated a barfly, and the last guy was a dude a few years younger than me (that went to my highschool) who sold pot and was a gym nut addicted to anabolic steroids and adderall. I don't understand her taste in men, but I can't really judge her because I'm engaged to an alcoholic pothead/ex-cokehead. Part of me thinks it stems from her childhood. Seeing my grandfather nearly destroy his life with booze might've caused her to develop a savior complex which makes her predisposed to date men with addiction issues in hopes that she can change them for the better. I'm sure me, her only child being a drug-addict, isn't helping. I can't help but feel guilty because of it. Oh well. Its her life. I hope you have a great weekend as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, my mom was permanently put off from drinking because of how it affected her dad and family life growing up, but she really admires my grandpa for overcoming his addiction. My aunts were less phased by it and still drink heavily from time to time. The only thing I find odd about my mom is that as square as she is aside from smoking pot on rare occasions, she wound up with my dad (an alcoholic who started using meth at one point to stay drunk without passing out--weird, I know), then after they got divorced she dated another drinker who turned out to be a crackhead (but eventually recovered), then after him she dated a barfly, and the last guy was a dude a few years younger than me (that went to my highschool) who sold pot and was a gym nut addicted to anabolic steroids and adderall. I don't understand her taste in men, but I can't really judge her because I'm engaged to an alcoholic pothead/ex-cokehead. Part of me thinks it stems from her childhood. Seeing my grandfather nearly destroy his life with booze might've caused her to develop a savior complex which makes her predisposed to date men with addiction issues in hopes that she can change them for the better. I'm sure me, her only child being a drug-addict, isn't helping. I can't help but feel guilty because of it. Oh well. Its her life. I hope you have a great weekend as well.

Aw. Your mom sounds like a sweet woman. It's maybe very possible she had some kind of 'savior complex'. I guess we all need something to live for and keep going for right? My mom was pretty square too. She liked her beer but she was never into smoking weed, or cocaine or any of the hard stuff. I got her to smoke weed with me a few times growing up. Some times she enjoyed it and then some times she'd trip out, not realizing how crazy & psychedelic weed can be some times. lol So I would always have to calm her down and let her know that she's not gonna lose her mind, she's just stoned. lol I started to feel bad for her at that point, cause I knew exactly what she was feeling. There have been many times in my life where i've smoked weed and had a panic attack because the headspace just became too weird. So I stopped smoking with her and she stopped asking to try it anyway.

My mom was cool though. She never got on me about my drug problems. In fact she was very understanding and would even help me get them when she could. I think my mom felt bad because she married an asshole redneck from Mississippi when I was about 5, who was very abusive to me for years & she never stopped it. And it caused me some issues once I got older & I think her guilt lead to her allowing me to do whatever I wanted as a teenager and in my 20's. Bring people over at 2AM if I wanted. Do all the drugs I wanted. Go out and stay gone for days at a time. lol But I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm glad she let me have my freedom.

My two years of sobriety were indeed worse then being under influence. And it kept going occasionally increasing in intensity. Soberness a few day's suck's, life long seem's like a nightmare

Those two years were the worst of my life. I did nothing, felt almost nothing and made me a lazy slug.
God, I can imagine!!!!

The longest i've been sober was maybe a few days to a few weeks in the past 15+ years.

If I couldn't find good drugs, there was always DXM & Vodka at the store. lol And if I had no money, well, lets just say I became a master at getting enough DXM & vodka with 5 finger discounts. lol

I guess you could say I'm sober on my bupe, which I've been on for a few years now. But I still use thc & klonopin and wouldn't technically consider being on all 3 of those things as "sober". But I absolutely have to have something daily or i'll lose it. My entire life would fall apart if I went sober cause I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed.

1. Looking in the mirror
2. Inability to make progress on an important life goal
3. The decline in my cognitive abilities
4. The endless up/down emotional rollercoaster
5. The desire to have a meaningful and honest relationship with friends and a loving partner.

I could go on, there are many more, but these are top of mind every day.
1, 2, 4.

It’s funny because with reasonable doses you usually start your amp career being totally on point and super efficient. I’ve never seen that last even a decade really. First your memory erodes and then your obsessions expand to fill the gap.
I have seen it last at least two with some people.

My biggest fear of the ending of the RC age.

Is that actually possible? Couldn't new RC's be developed pretty much forever?

Personally I've never knowingly used RC's, I mean I guess it's possible I've used them without knowing, particularly from some untested ecstasy tablets I've taken on occasion. But for the most part I've always stuck to the classics. :D

Uk was the first, a blanket (cover all) act. one of these days it will end, is my prognosis.

They are working on it. But they are actually quite good, pure just untested territory.

BAHAHAHHAHA wtf?

What is that?

Man, that first ad is just hilarious.

Honestly some of the others I'd say are actually pretty well done for anti drug propaganda, but man that first one is just bad. :D
lol it's overexaggerated. I have another one I'm bout to post in a second

The woman im in love with, she doesn't want me to keep binging on narcotics and wants me to stay on a maintenance drug for my Opioid Addiction. Gotta do this for myself as well im tired of hoping back and forth from the Dope my body just can't handle it anymore like it used to. And I'll tell you what when I look into that women's eyes I just know that it will all be worth it. She gives me so much strength and reminds me on a daily basis that im worth it and shouldn't have to live like this anymore.

~Shadow Cat

Last edited:
look at her eyes she's flyyyyying lol

Oh no not a current affair...

"what you're about to see is going to make you angry" yep I'm sure you're right. :D

First thing that makes me angry is.. Who the fuck goes on ACA to talk about using their welfare to buy meth? Someone who's been paid for the interview perhaps? That or someone who wants the government to introduce those welfare debit card things... In which case fuck you for wrecking it for everyone else. :p

"that is hard to watch isn't it?" rofl oh fuck off you shameless vultures.

Oh no not a current affair...

"what you're about to see is going to make you angry" yep I'm sure you're right. :D

First thing that makes me angry is.. Who the fuck goes on ACA to talk about using their welfare to buy meth? Someone who's been paid for the interview perhaps?

"that is hard to watch isn't it?" bahha oh fuck off you shameless vultures.
hahaha good old A Current affair.

hahaha good old A Current affair.

Wtf? I honestly for a sec didn't believe that was real.

It's like I just looked into an alternate reality where meth is advertised on TV in exactly the same way as iunno windex or something.

You know the anti drug psa has gone wrong when it actually works better as an ad for the drug.