• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What's Good on European and African TV v. Walking the Dead

Cheers Chat, i dont have a any p/s Yoyo, much less know about the tricks, where you presumably pay someone to tweak the machine in some way. Ive allready got a complete box set of The Sopranos coming my way, once i get that and Homeland, I'll sell them after ive watched them and will have more than enough paypal capital to buy the next things on the list, like Dexter and Game Of Thrones.

Cheers, i keep missing the deadline on ebay auctions for Homeland as I allways do last minute bids. Literally pressing return with 2seconds to spare so no fucker gets the chance to outbid me, unless theyve allready entered a higher secret reseve price, so i normally add a couple of extra quid to my bid just incase.

Look up 'sniping' software if you're buying from eBay. It bids for you milliseconds before the auction closes so you get the last one, and you don't even have to be at your computer.

Im sure theres a plugin for firefox, they just added all trailer park boys on there in uk now too, ;)

Panorama: Who's Paying Your Doctor?

Probably of some interest to a few here. About drug companies' somewhat shady relationship with doctors. Of particular interest to folks might be that Prof Nutt is one who gets the hidden camera treatment. I don't object to his media whoring but whoring for drug companies is another matter. Also interested to hear of the relative switcharound recently - have discussed this stuff with Americans before and they strongly objected to the level of influence Big Pharma has over doctors there and probably weren't expecting that to change anytime soon. Appears it has changed quite a bit which further appears to have left UK docs looking shadier than their US conterparts in the money-grubbing, pharma-whoring stakes. Doesn't seem right at all that docs should take payments and sponsorship from drug companies. Very iffy bizniz. Disappointed in the good professor not being quite as good as I might have hoped. Not that he's doing anything unusual it seems.

Yesterday's Game of Thrones.

YAAAAAAAAAS! Finally.

No spoilers.

Edit - Re: Nutt. He's always been a bit suspect. Big push against alcohol. In favour of alternative drugs. Who does he happen to be working for? Getting paid by? Cunts making an alcohol alternative.

Edit - Re: Nutt. He's always been a bit suspect. Big push against alcohol. In favour of alternative drugs. Who does he happen to be working for? Getting paid by? Cunts making an alcohol alternative.

Manufacturers of anti-addiction drugs apparently. Not one that's even recommended in the UK I don't think - a longer-acting relative of naltrexone but used for alcoholism and gambling rather than opies apparently. Sounded horrific from its wiki page. Naltrexone is bad enough as it is without a doubly-potent, longer-acting version 8(

I agree there is something a bit off about his constant media-whoring. I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt as it's mostly for raising awareness of issues many of us would be in agreement with. Whoring for Big Pharma - especially doing what appeared to be a flat-out salesman piece in the above proggy - is considerably less forgiveable for me. He said it was for the money to help his research which I can understand as I do believe he's had problems with funding given much of his work is so controversial (4-AcO-DMT for people coming to terms with terminal diseases was the last thing I heard of him working on but was a while back - couldn't get pure enough samples of 4-AcO-DMT apparently which doesn't reflect so well on all those vendor's claims of '99.8%' purity :sus:)). I'd like to continue to give the benefit of the doubt cos I do agree with much of what he says and think he's a bit of a hero for saying it publicly given there are so many who would agree but will not say so in public cos they'd lose their job much as he did.

Can Criminals Say Sorry?

One of those BBC3 docs where a minor celebrity talks about their "journey" to a producer off camera right. This one has an interesting subject though. It looks like Restorative Justice (where victim has meeting with offender - think it used to be called something else?) is becoming quite a big thing. Massive investment of government money so presume it's going to become much more widespread. I've thought it was an excellent idea since first hearing of it years back. It seem to me the only realistic chance of really changing behaviour and maybe even breaking the cycle of re-offending for some. If you never have to face up to what you've done and really be helped to understand exactly what effect you've had on those you've harmed how are you ever going to feel, see or understand the reality of what you have done - you only have one side of the story and tend to have a bit of bias going on.

I've never really thought twice about the stuff I nicked from shops, but when I stole from actual people (which I did on occasion) that's much harder to deal with. There's real guilt there cos I knew the people I stole from and often (probably always actually) saw exactly the effect it had. Well no, I wouldn't see all of the effects but I saw enough to make me consider my actions very seriously and feel genuine remorse. I think that's a pretty rehabilitating thing and can only imagine how much more of an impact there must be for those who've done far worse than swipe a few CDs (not that swiping CDs is acceptable by any means). I'm pleased there's going to be more of these type of face-to-face meetings - I honestly think it could make a big difference to a lot of people.

I agree that schemes like this really do show some potential. The Daily Mail predictably got on their high horse about offendors being sent to "holiday camps" where they apparently got racing lessons and stuff like that as part of their punishment and rehabilitation. A lot of the 'mindless vandalism' type of crimes where gangs of kids smash in peoples car windows for no reason, other than the giggles and 'dares' of it, one gang can have a massive impact on a neighjbourhood, im pretty sure these types of kids have no idea, or dont give a shit about the effects these type of crimes have on the victims.

I've boshed season1 of The Sopranos over 2-3 evenings. I can see that it is good in terms of character development and plotlines and stuff. I liked the epiosode about character arcs, "I'll tell you who had an arc, Fucking Noah" lol. But Im struggling with the 'likeabilty' aspect of many of the characters, as many of them really are dark, cold fuckers. So far the only character i really like is that Meadow (and not particularly cos she's hot, she doesnt really do much for me in that department), but she is 'untainted' and honest about everything, and adds a good perspective to the show. The late 90s technology is a bit annoying, it was such a 90s thing to be confused and annoyed about phone menu options, voicemail, hold, and transfer and all that, but adds a bit of comedy value seeing many characters getting wound up and struggling with all this that is now ancient history. Looking forward to the successive seasons which will hopefuly have more up to date themes.

Last edited:
Hehe. I watched all of The Sopranos not long back and was also tickled by how dated technology seemed in what didn't seem an especially old series to me. First episode had DVD players as the hot new piece of consumer electronics and the fella was all pissed off cos he'd only just sorted his laserdisc setup :D

I know what you mean about almost all the characters being horrible people - they are the mafia though after all. Some of them are quite likeable cos they get some great dialogue but it is a dark kind of likeability for sure - not people you'd ever want to actually meet. There is some brilliant black comedy in a lot of it though and is a series well worth sticking with.

It's really no surprise The Heil went off on one about "holiday camps" as per usual. The fact that RJ is totally unconnected with what actually happens in the prison system clearly eluded their tiny minds. It's not like you get a Playstation and a pint cos you agree to meet with the victim - you just get to meet with the victim and potentially improve the future of both parties but still have to complete your sentence if you're inside. Surely the best possible outcome is for an offender to stop offending and for a victim to be able to move on with their lives and gain a sense of closure and peace of mind. It appears to me that RJ is the best chance of those things happening. I don't see it as a soft option at all - totally the opposite in fact. It can't be at all easy to (literally) face up to the harm you've caused and to fully accept responsibility. Humanising victims has got to be more effective than not doing so - it's much easier to be blasé about people you don't really see as people but as faceless, anonymous victims.

They get called anti-heroes don't they, where the main character is a bad guy (more so lawfully than morally) but likeable.

There's tons of likeable characters in The Sopranos. You must have missed Silvio

CapturedPicture_3.png

Tony, Christopher, Paulie. All likeable in their own way. Paulie is a prick, but he's fucking brilliant at the same time. Uncle Junior is some boy an all.

The auld jew is a good guy. I can't remember his name. I want to say Herschel but I doubt that's correct.

Likeable in the sense they get good lines and are well-played, yes. Not likeable in the sense I'd want them as neighbours or owt.

They get called anti-heroes don't they, where the main character is a bad guy (more so lawfully than morally) but likeable.

They are indeed.

Likeable in the sense that it would be better to have them as friends than enemies perhaps. If they have actually any friends, rather than just shaking people down and working them for w/e they can screw out of them. Im finding the characters more engaging now, the 2nd season is FAR better than the first, i loved the business trip to Italy. I dunno if the first season was laying the groundwork and stuff but the second season and its plotlines are all really motoring now. "Half the people coming up are on drugs, and the other half are psychos." Sounds a bit like somewhere not a million miles away.

Just spotted Downfall on iPlayer so if any of y'all haven't seen what is actually being said when Hitler orders MDMA pizza you have your opportunity. Is an outstanding film. Not a laugh a minute (barely a mention of 2C-B stuffed crust in the actual film 8)) but really is a cracking film. Fella who plays HItler is brilliant. Not a cartoon Hitler at all as is so often the case with such films.

That aside, started watching second half of fourth season of Walking Dead t'other night. Do wish they'd stop splitting seasons like this cos the timing seems to have worked out that it means the first few episodes are kinda slow - like you'd expect mid-season. Not a problem cos I <3 TWD but have seen a few people saying they started to go off it recently and can see why - the momentum is completely lost. I can only presume they split them so they can have twice the hype - but you need to structure it to fit the hype if you're doing that which would mean making shorter seasons not splitting long seasons. It's just plain stoopid. Good to have it back though.

Insect Dissection: How Insects Work

BBC4 seems to have a thing for dissections of late but they've been interesting programmes. As you may be able to work out, this one is about insects. Some really interesting stuff in there and some really great photography too. Some of the outside bits of insects really are very pretty, the inside bits pretty uniformly not so very pretty but fascinating all the same. I'd never really thought about what's inside an insect. Tend to think of it as just mush and gunk (which there is rather a lot of) but nice to know what that gunk is and what else is in there and what it does and a bit on how it works.

Also, the American of the two presenters appears to be Tom Cruise's twin brother. Right down to the strange whooping thing. In this case not whooping whilst bouncing on a sofa on the Oprah show so much as trying to look like he's not in as much pain as he clearly is after being stung by the biggest wasp I have ever seen. It really is a mighty ol' wasp (it hunts and kill tarantulas so presumably needs to be a bit of a bruiser).