• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What would it take for you to stop using your drug of choice?

unlimited supply if my second favourite drug of choice
kim kardashian blow up doll

family, I'm already hating my potential future children for taking away my future fun and freedoms

I hope it would be if my health was directed impacted.

Returning from a holiday, family, close call with cops, turning 40, demands from partner, change of employment situation, seeking treatment; were all things that made me pause or limit my use temporarily, however I still keep using meth. For the last year I'd really put the breaks on but over the last 5 months I've used really small amounts each month (compared to my old ways).

Unfortunately even the small amounts come with the after math of bad skin and feeling crap/tired.

I've never suffered with anxiety, depression, or had esteem issues so when seeking treatment and having the therapist try to get to the root of my use (with no past trauma, abuse or neglect) it just came down to the fact I enjoy it.

So even though I like using, there's enough I don't like to convince my quitting would be great. So back to the question.. There's possibly other factors that make me try to quit, but if I recognized my health and especially my mental health were declining I hope that would be it.

My biggest concern being, especially in regards to mental wellbeing, what if I couldn't recognize I had a problem?

My biggest concern being, especially in regards to mental wellbeing, what if I couldn't recognize I had a problem?
Have you ever sought counselling for your recovery, or to help deal with the underlying causes for your ongoing use?

I feel that if there are psychological issues there that you're not addressing (or even noticing), a good psychologist is likely to pick up on them, especially once you have established a good working relationship with them.

Maybe worth considering if that thought troubles you?

Thanks for your comments spacejunk, and yes I did seek help to quit a while back but it only helped to kind of get into the mind set of quitting. The psychiatrist I was seeing really couldn't understand my use either. I didn't fit the profile of most users she saw. I could see as she was asking me all the probing questions she was wondering how I got to where I was. There really is no reason to my use other than Im an adventurous personality and enjoy it... Well not as much as I used to.

I've still used on an off since but putting far more decent breaks between the occasion binge.

Im not concerned about my mental wellbeing, I guess I just worry about how suddenly psychosis can develop. I've always ensured I go no more than 2 nights without sleep, but can it happen as quickly as I smoke a couple of points and suddenly I think there are people living in my roof? I think I've got a really good handle on things but yeah who knows.

Nicotine is the one I just can't put down, damn the consequences.
I kinda use my poverty to regulate my use of other drugs, there just isn't much money to spend on drugs when you sell produce and/or cook for a living. Just enough to deal with selling produce for a living.

Took E's, coke, speed, LSD for about ten years once a month on and off until I was about 30. Had the usual Tuesday comedown hard most times during this period and right to go by about Thursday and Friday (back to normal, reset, 100%). When I was 24 after the same routine following a big weekend the wind changed. You know what I mean like when your parents told you that if you pull that face and the wind changes your face will stay like that? Only difference was my brain didn't change back to being normal. Suddenly I couldn't sit with people, enjoy normal conversation (eating with other people was the worst) and I was filled with massive anxiety. Couldn't sleep had a permanent lump in my throat. Drinking alcohol would help but I didn't want to be seen as an alcoholic. Still didn't stop me from taking stuff until three or four more years later. It's like I'd depleted all the serotonin and there was nothing left. The song by the Chemical Brothers I think it's called "do it again" describes perfectly what I think. Quote" Oh my god what have I done, God a brain like bubblegum, do it again". Like the brain has run out of flavour is the message I get from that and can relate. I also collapsed once in a club after taking a dodgy pill but still didn't stop me. When I look back I can't believe why I would keep doing it? I'm not telling anyone not to take anything but be aware. It's a cliche but you are playing Russian roulette and I don't believe higher purity would make any difference to potential brain damage as the strength of these drugs can kill you too. If you take drugs you ARE altering your brain and this will have some sort of long lasting permanent impact on it. Some people will be impacted in a massive way, like a friend who is now schizophrenic, has no job or girlfriend and is unlikely to ever have a normal life. Or another friend who is in a mental hospital unable to overcome the mental illness an LSD tab triggered. Another guy has similar symptoms to me and we've had conversations relating our experiences. These were handsome, popular, normal guys. I have been taking antidepressants since I was 24 on and off. I try to get away from them but only last a year or two before I realise the problem is returning. Unlike my other friends I am lucky, I have a good job, am married and have a wonderful life but I have been scarred by my drug taking days and will forever be taking antidepressants to keep me normal. It is a heavy price to pay as sexual pleasure is diminished (although one could argue ten years of marriage will do that to anyone) and reliance on a drug is not a good thing as some side effects are present. Out of all my friends I would say four out of ten have issues that I know about and admit that drug use wasn't good. Don't think it is a harmless pastime and before you start taking drugs ask yourself if you're happy to accept the chances that you might end up like some of the people I've mentioned above. This is a snapshot of my experience and when I was twenty years old I thought people were full of shit who told me what I was doing was bad for me. What the f... Would some forty three year old dickwad know anyway. I'm now that forty three year old dickwad. Propaganda is rife amongst peers justifying the unjustifiable to themselves when it comes to rationale behind the uninformed, flawed reasoning behind drug taking decisions. It's your choice in the end but don't believe the hype.

Last edited:
^ wow, thats good to hear triplies.
Glad to hear the sobriety is paying off for you.

Are you finding that non-drugged "reality" is a trip of its own?
Well done mate :)

Also, welcome to bluelight, Older and Wiser.

my girlfriend.. honestly, if you love someone that much - its that easy

without sounding gay as fuck, love is the best drug %)

Triplies it is amazing isn't it (life that is). I find Drugs created a vacuum in my life where I need adrenalin/rush or I get bored sometimes. My normal was 100mph with everything and that never leaves you I don't think. Not the safest thing to do but I found a good release in motorbike riding to make me feel alive when I get bored with normality now. It's a blast.

Tolerance (and associated cost of use). For me at least, a $500 Heroin habit a day isn't workable without becoming criminal and I don't love the high that muvh/or am addicted that much to do so. So I'd rather get clean or at a minimum have a very long break ...6-12months or so. That's actually the situation I am facing now lol.

Well I've already OD'd on heroin enough times for that to scare me but I still use(albeit without benzos and always at home or around somebody else.... I survived last time coz I waited to use at home instead of my usual spot in the bush where I 100% would have died)

But in regards to meth it'd have to be a heart attack, stroke or becoming aware of a health problem that meth could affect.

The other thing is obviously really having a strong enough desire to quit. I've lost most family, many friends(more of that is because I'm gay though) I don't have a lot to lose.

If I had a shot at the kind of successful life I thought was possible when I was younger I'd quit in a second but until then drugs(while I'm on them) help me live without constant negative emotions.

I'd quit benzos if I didn't have anxiety but honestly I hate talking about that because that's been an issue forever.

Woke up in hospital after an OD to see my mum staring at me, obviously frightened. When I got back to my home, all my drug stashes had been removed while I was in recovery. 6 months prior I had quit methadone and still to this day have RLS which prompted as an excuse to use again. Still craving it.

So ive basically quit because I don't have any to use and that my wife has taken over the money source, yeah sad days indeed.

My life would have to change quite a bit for me to stop. I act as the full time carer of my partner. I don't go out much, and I so look forward to those few days every fortnight when I can use H.

i've posted this in another thread, i'd smoke weed until i got cancer pretty much. if i was having a real hard time breathing i might quit too... it doesn't really seem like it would happen though. i've been smoking for over twenty years now and my lungs feel fine. i could probably run a mile with out getting winded the same as before i smoked, and the only time i ever feel like coughing is the part of the year when my parents light their woodstove. i used to feel short of breath from that before even smoking weed... i'm hoping i'll be fine smoking weed like i do till i die of unrelated causes... even after a couple months of cigarette smoking, my lungs felt like absolute shit and i'd have a rotten cough. i know science supposedly said weed has more tar or something, but i always felt like weed was supposed to be inhaled and cigarette smoke wasn't.

if i run into lung problems, i'd probably start using edibles and growing shrooms which i don't now... i'd be way too bored being drug free. i might start drinking too if i coulnd't smoke. i'd probably mix up edibles drinking and shrooms. i haven't drank alcohol in like ten years either. i just really don't like being sober tbh... weed is all i really feel like i NEED now.. so that's about all i mess with now days since it's become legal and i don't care to search out drug dealers.

In the interest of generating some discussion, i'm curious to hear some people's thoughts on what would motivate you to quit using your favourite drug, or drugs more generally.

For those of us who have stopped - or greatly reduced - our drug use, i'm interested in what led you to make this choice.

For example, would drug-related health problems, addiction, legal problems, financial or relationship stresses be enough to encourage you to 'clean up' or seek help to do so - or would some of these things be more likely to push you further into chemical escapism?

My own experience is complicated, but probably reasonably common, among addicts, anyway.
I had been physically and psychogically dependent on opiates for almost a decade, when my drug-addled double life was discovered by someone i love a great deal. I sought treatment and was able to break free of my habit, with a lot of (continuing) help from a counsellor, friends and loved ones.

I continued to use benzodiazepines, which eventually became an addiction as well. A health scare, and a lot of really stupid behaviour motivated me to check into a detox facility for a supervised taper.

Having come out of that - without necessarily intending to do so - i am quite enjoying living a sober life. It's quite a novel experience, as bad as that sounds - but i've had so many people comment on how well i'm looking, that i'm determined never to go back to my old ways of daily drug use.

Can you envision a solid reason why you would reduce or quit your drug consumption - or if you already have, is it clear what led you to make that choice?

Nothing. Addicted to prescription meds, but ALL of them are also prescribed for things I suffer from (depression, anxiety, pain) severely, so I'm always gonna need to take those drugs anyway. Besides, being sober just isn't for me. I just don't like it.

I have boxes and boxes of REAL OCs in my desk but experience has taught me that less is more. I smoke weed maybe twice a year, do MDMA once a , LSD about once a year & mushrooms once a year... but all of those are grown or manufactured by a friend. So it's more a case of 'when he turns up with a little gift'.

I wouldn't get on the buses (I have to change) to get to him when he can cycle over in 30 minutes. As for the legal drugs, I will buy a 4 pack of Black Heart (Brewdog's answer to Guinness) but I won't go out again to get more. Tobacco - I make a £5 pouch last 10-11 days.

I like NOT having to bother. It can be fun getting high, but one needs to feel normal for most of the time for the sake of contrast.