• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What would it take for you to stop using your drug of choice?

It's called 'life'.

There comes a time when you have to choose addiction or reality.

Reality is shit, but weve had to put up with it for millions of years.

Addiction is merely a blip in the status quo.

As is this:

Reality is shit, but weve had to put up with it for millions of years.
Reality is for people who can’t handle drugs.

Sorry, I saw that on a bumper sticker.

Tell you what all, when humans figure out a way to live without water and food, then maybe we can entertain how to live without drugs. Right now we are chemical machines. We just have to accept it.

For me, I started hating my life so much that I just needed to stop. There was no other option. So much time wasted and all these regrets were building up. I mean, I will still use some drugs but very sparingly and most days I am sober (prescribed bupe excluded).

The health and safety of people I love. Sometimes I wish I was left in a state where I had to make that decision. I'm always thinking of "would I give away this" or "would I trade this persons life for my drug of choice" and the answer is always no. It's just THC, really, but I have tinnitus that is worsened by my use of it which is an endless cycle of frustration. I don't truly know if it's worsened it, it certainly didn't cause it in the first place as far as I can tell. I won't know until I get an MRI next month. Otherwise, kratom is one I shouldn't be taking at all anymore, and I guess I'm more concerned over that to be honest.

In the interest of generating some discussion, i'm curious to hear some people's thoughts on what would motivate you to quit using your favourite drug, or drugs more generally.

For those of us who have stopped - or greatly reduced - our drug use, i'm interested in what led you to make this choice.

For example, would drug-related health problems, addiction, legal problems, financial or relationship stresses be enough to encourage you to 'clean up' or seek help to do so - or would some of these things be more likely to push you further into chemical escapism?

My own experience is complicated, but probably reasonably common, among addicts, anyway.
I had been physically and psychogically dependent on opiates for almost a decade, when my drug-addled double life was discovered by someone i love a great deal. I sought treatment and was able to break free of my habit, with a lot of (continuing) help from a counsellor, friends and loved ones.

I continued to use benzodiazepines, which eventually became an addiction as well. A health scare, and a lot of really stupid behaviour motivated me to check into a detox facility for a supervised taper.

Having come out of that - without necessarily intending to do so - i am quite enjoying living a sober life. It's quite a novel experience, as bad as that sounds - but i've had so many people comment on how well i'm looking, that i'm determined never to go back to my old ways of daily drug use.

Can you envision a solid reason why you would reduce or quit your drug consumption - or if you already have, is it clear what led you to make that choice?
Love. True love. Still no guarantee but when I felt true love before I quit my doc cold turkey and it was way easier. Before dependence my using surrounded relationship issues via missed ops from fear of rejection, fights with my partner That eventually would lead to a break up.
Romance love and the desire for this love and all of the heavy ass emotions that are attached to romantic are what drives my overall mental state and it seems like it’s usually negative emotions resulting in depression

I found it relatively easy to quit nicotine after showing up to emergency.
Triage nurse
"What's the problem?"
I'm coughing up blood.
"Blood spots in your phlegm?"
**Holds up 1/2 roll of bright red kitchen towel**
"You come with me"

But I couldn't sleep without weed, so I ended up smoking again. Even bongs until 2 more visits to ER forced me back to joints.
I find edibles aren't enough of a club to the skull.
Now that's mixed with an IV oxy addiction after several surgeries.
There seems little point changing my intake any way but up.
I've probably only got 10 years left and I'd prefer them to be comfortable. **Nudges fucking pain clinician**

The health and safety of people I love. Sometimes I wish I was left in a state where I had to make that decision. I'm always thinking of "would I give away this" or "would I trade this persons life for my drug of choice" and the answer is always no. It's just THC, really, but I have tinnitus that is worsened by my use of it which is an endless cycle of frustration. I don't truly know if it's worsened it, it certainly didn't cause it in the first place as far as I can tell. I won't know until I get an MRI next month. Otherwise, kratom is one I shouldn't be taking at all anymore, and I guess I'm more concerned over that to be honest.
Youll be fine quitting the kratom don't stress too much, the withdrawal can be uncomfortable but unlike opiates I feel like the worst part restless part of kratom withdrawal seems to clear after about 2 days instead of a week/weeks like other shit. You'll feel real shitty and then snap out of it pretty quickly IME, I was using 2 sometimes 3 170mg MIT extracts a day for 6 months Im not sure what your use is but my withdrawal was only a couple days of bad and then a few more of feeling tired and depressed and then it was over so don't sweat it man you go it if you want to quit.

I would find my way to the deepest depths of the rain forest and look for all of the ayahuasca type plants that I could find. That is all.