• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What to do if close family member won't get the Vaccination?

the only vaccine i trust is the russian one. Oxford won't even be used on over 65s in Germany due to concerns and australia wont use it anymore after trials said it was 62% effective. pzfier seems like a good bet but the russian one i believe is better and provides way long lasting immunity and protects 100% against severe covid-19 and also has no side effects like all these other western vaccines
Not enough empirical data to sway me.

Fuck off Wenlock. How can you care so little for people like my nain, who's terrified?

I gyess you just don't care about endangering other people, just like you endangered a young child by posting my address. Sick.

I had my vaccine on January 23rd 2021 as I am classed as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable so I was put in with the 70yr olds. I had no side effects apart from a sore arm the following day which is precisely the same thing I get after receiving the flu jab. Even though I've had the vaccination I will still carry on wearing my mask and taking all the safety precautions that I can. I don't want to catch Covid-19 and I certainly don't wish to pass it on to anybody else.

Fuck off Wenlock. How can you care so little for people like my nain, who's terrified?

I gyess you just don't care about endangering other people, just like you endangered a young child by posting my address. Sick.

Steady on Belle, there is no evidence that LINS is Wenlock (I've checked). So please desist with these personal attacks...

tbh given the data about the vaccine reducing transmission aren't available yet, i'd be fine with people refusing the vaccine as long as they waive their right to medical attention should they get sick. if it is shown that these vaccines reduce transmission, then its not really your body i care about, its the unwitting people you might infect and thus kill.

Are you also fine with not giving medical treatment to fat people or smokers or junkies, all choices people make? Or are you personally making a moral judgement on what kind of vulnerability is worthy of protection?

Perhaps I don't buy the opinion that continuing addiction does not ultimately come down to a choice to remain addicted or not. If your position is true then addicts have no free agency and are arguing that addicts are not capable of deciding their own destiny, because the concept of addicts having any choice was an illusion because their "neurological pathways have been hijacked by a drug." you may want to clarify there.

How is denying medical treatment to people for whatever reason helping the collective good? The untreated will negatively impact the collective, including the virtuous vaccinated who claim everyone is in this together etc. Your position here makes no logical or moral sense. It basically implies there should be some righteous punishment for not conforming to your (extremist) collectivist position. the very mention of this seems to show you have have given up on appealing to the other party's enlightened self interest, so instead seek to appeal to the stick, ad baculum. So where is this moral high ground again?

if your concern is people who are not vaccinated may become infected and may infect unwitting people and thus may kill the unwitting people, then that is not a extant risk. It is conditional on many maybes, mights, coulds and so on, but this risk is pragmatically mitigated by the unwitting people protecting themselves (perhaps with vaccination dontcha think) which brings it neatly back to personal responsibility to look after your own health and make the decisions that make sense for your own situation.

Leaving philosophy aside the maths says at some point infection is going to to be more transmitted by vaccinated individuals than unvaccinated individuals, ultimately it is a self fixing problem. The outcomes are the unvaccinated get infected and become immune or dead. The vaccinated get boosted or the vaccine fails and they get sick or dead. The math is easy, if hypothetically vaccination reduces infection and transmission by 50% (optimistic) and there are 3x more vaccinated individuals than unvaccinated individuals who is responsible for more spread?

Are you also fine with not giving medical treatment to fat people or smokers or junkies, all choices people make? Or are you personally making a moral judgement on what kind of vulnerability is worthy of protection?
i'm making the moral judgement that if you get sick from a preventable disease that you personally have chosen not to prevent, and medical services are under extreme strain, then you are less worthy of treatment than someone who falls ill through no fault of their own.
Perhaps I don't buy the opinion that continuing addiction does not ultimately come down to a choice to remain addicted or not.
that's fine, but science states the contrary. i would have chosen to stop being an addict at the age of about 20 instead of staying that way til my 30s. i'm glad you have the luxury of thinking its a choice as it means you have not been through the hell of addiction and i wouldn't wish that on anyone.
if your concern is people who are not vaccinated may become infected and may infect unwitting people and thus may kill the unwitting people, then that is not a extant risk.
it is. there is a whole branch of logic (fuzzy logic) that deals exactly with these kinds of scenarios and is capable of quantifying the risks. if you're interested and have the maths skill required to understand it, i strongly recommend the uncertain reasoners companion by jeff paris.

i'm making the moral judgement that if you get sick from a preventable disease that you personally have chosen not to prevent, and medical services are under extreme strain, then you are less worthy of treatment than someone who falls ill through no fault of their own.
So you indeed are saying fat people, smokers and junkies should be denied treatment! Your position is healthcare should be allocated according to worthiness. People you judge unworthy, who in your opinion have caused their own illness should be denied treatment, that is clearly immoral and unethical and it also goes directly against your aim of minimizing overall harms.
Many people would judge addicts as being less worthy of treatment when medical services are under strain, because they have not chosen to prevent their addiction. I actually don't take that position, Ethical triage and resource allocation works on whether the patent can be treated and whether that treatment is likely to succeed, irrespective of any moral judgement on the 'worthiness' of the patent. I was taught ethics.
Everyone is equal eh? all lives are equally valuable? Your stated position is clearly that some lives are allocated lesser value to depending on whether the persons is regarded as morally worthy by you. Something to think about.

that's fine, but science states the contrary. i would have chosen to stop being an addict at the age of about 20 instead of staying that way til my 30s. i'm glad you have the luxury of thinking its a choice as it means you have not been through the hell of addiction and i wouldn't wish that on anyone.
"Science states" That old appeal to authority trope, what science?. So you are holding with the idea that addicts have no agency and no choice and are merely victims, passengers along for the ride? The first step to breaking addiction is wanting to break that addiction, that is a choice and that is the addicts' choice.
it is. there is a whole branch of logic (fuzzy logic) that deals exactly with these kinds of scenarios and is capable of quantifying the risks. if you're interested and have the maths skill required to understand it, i strongly recommend the uncertain reasoners companion by jeff paris.
Rubbish. Fuzzy logic deals with partial truths, more/less with uncertainty rather than true/false, Fuzzy logic would apply if someone could be half infected with coronavirus or if someone could partially infect someone else. Status on a continuum. The scenario is actually a multi-conditional scenario, if such and such is true and something else is is true then..... boolean conditional logic, true vs false and therefore probability theory. I am surprised you didn't see that.

You are making judgements based on multiple events that haven't aligned, but may align with a certain probability which may or may not be known accurately. The important thing is all those have to align to create the harm you are seeking to avoid.
"what if this was true and then this was true and then this then became true then a bad then a thing would happen. "
If any of those things didn't align, no harm would result. The bad thing has not happened yet and probably will not because you have 4 low probability conditionals in your chain here you are unduly worrying about something that hasn't happened and is actually pretty unlikely to happen. If you reduce it to an individual calculation it is vanishingly unlikely. It is Helen Lovejoys "think of the children." I strongly recommend the early Simpsons, whether you have the math skill or not. You can reverse the math based on your scenario, How much overall harm would result from vaccinating people who personally gain limited or no benefit in order to save one life in your scenario?

That is why decisions on medical intervention are based on the benefit to the patient and not primarily for some higher utilitarian collectivist purpose. If some wider benefit accrues then that is a bonus.

You are actually leaning extremely hard on the precautionary principle. Appeal to the precautionary principle is the refuge of scoundrels who have taken to promoting a position unjustified by the facts on the ground. An extreme application precautionary principle says everyone should routinely have their appendix removed because it might cause appendicitis and fatal peritonitis, better safe than sorry. NNT might be a little high.

I am not trying to change your mind, but it would be nice if people thought things through properly before charging around with the herd,

Respect their choices, their body after all. Would you want grandma telling you to not get an abortion? Probably not because it's your body your choice right

I'm actually anti-abortion myself so I could completely understand where they were coming from.

Soo yea... Honestly I don't think that's a good example because, if you are pro life, then it's essentially the same as with vaccines, it's not exclusively your life that is being affected by your choice.

Of course if you aren't pro life then your view is going to be that it's nobody else's business.

But, I am pro life and and I would feel morally compelled to at least suggest other options than termination.

I like this idea.

The problem is it's not just your health that you're putting at risk with your choice. (ftw by "your" I'm just speaking generally, I don't mean you specifically cdugs <3)

That's what complicates this question.

you're posting in EADD- i'm strongly guessing you're american. european culture is far less individualist (i've lived in the UK, the US and continental europe so i've seen it first hand), we have a notion of the collective good over here that you yanks could benefit from learning about.

This is honestly a really good point. I was raised in America and have held a pretty strong individualist mindset for most of my life.

Since I've lived in Australia I've frequently argued with Australians (who tbh are also probably more individualist than a lot of Europeans too) about this kinda thing.

But, over time, and especially since covid, I've really come to reevaluate my previously very strict, individualist beliefs and started to think maybe I was wrong. Maybe society really is better off with a bit more of a collectivist attitude.

I'm not sure, but I can't deny that over this last year, seeing what's happened in America and how much better Australia has done, and how Australia has done it by basically disregarding relentless adherence to individual rights at all cost.

It can be hard not to look back at what I used to believe and question if perhaps I was wrong.

And the thing is American culture wasn't always this individualistic either. It's kinda turned into this as a result of cold inspired patriotism.

I'm actually anti-abortion myself so I could completely understand where they were coming from.

Soo yea... Honestly I don't think that's a good example because, if you are pro life, then it's essentially the same as with vaccines, it's not exclusively your life that is being affected by your choice.

Of course if you aren't pro life then your view is going to be that it's nobody else's business.

But, I am pro life and and I would feel morally compelled to at least suggest other options than termination.
Vaccines saved the world from smallpox and polio. If people saw the iron lungs polio suriviers use and still refuse vaccines then thus people should either be given a better public education or shipped to a island where nobody uses modern science and see how long they live.

About your anti abortion stance, I believe in the freedom of choice for each women to choose to get one but after seeing what my cousin went through getting a abortion and the later mental health effects and regrets years later most pro-abortion women arguing for the right don't really understand abortion and the negative effects it can have on women who have gone through them. I feel like some of the stance by these people treat abortion as a light choice that anybody can make their own mind on. I support legal abortion only after multiple medical professionals and a psychologist has been seen and the reason for abortion is justified. I don't think any body should be able to on the wim of their choice go and get one without any extra advice because it will be a choice that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Though im pro sterilization of feral people i know crack heads who have like 15 kids in the hood never worked a day in there life. There comes a point where people should not be allowed to have kids. hell i did not have kids because im not a irresponsible fuck head if i cant support myself to a degree of decent standard of living why would i go and have 10 kids like the rest of trash i grew up with.

People are lucky that vaccines were created so we don't have to like mutations out of a horror film with small pox and other horrible viruses that were eliminated from the modern world.

What are the poll numbers showing the number of americans who believe bill gates is going to microchip their boring ass. Though imo i believe a national database of everybodies finger prints and DNA should be recorded crime would be solved way faster.

So you indeed are saying fat people, smokers and junkies should be denied treatment! Your position is healthcare should be allocated according to worthiness. People you judge unworthy, who in your opinion have caused their own illness should be denied treatment, that is clearly immoral and unethical and it also goes directly against your aim of minimizing overall harms.
nope, my position is that fat people, smokers and junkies should be treated with compassion. it is nothing to do with worthiness. it is to do with the element of choice. people with addiction or impulse control issues do not have a choice and need help to get to a point where they are able to make good choices for themselves.

there will be exceptions where its a symptom of an underlying pathology, but in general people who ignore the prevailing science to refuse vaccines for themselves and their children are able to make choices in a way that junkies, fat people and smokers cannot.
I was taught ethics.
good for you. so was i.

"Science states" That old appeal to authority trope, what science?. So you are holding with the idea that addicts have no agency and no choice and are merely victims, passengers along for the ride? The first step to breaking addiction is wanting to break that addiction, that is a choice and that is the addicts' choice.
unfortunately i can't explain the science to you in a short post because i have been reading academic articles and books by well respected people in the field for over a decade. there actually is one book that puts forward the thesis that addiction is a disorder of choice, but the author concentrates on the cases where people were able to resolve their problems mostly independently and makes no attempt to address the cases where people are unable to get better on their own. from his case studies, the people who are able to quit are generally on the side of slightly excessive use rather than full blown addiction, so i don't really consider his theories valid.

the theories that deal with a more 'classical' addiction where the addict suffers significant consequences but still cannot stop point to addiction being an issue with neural pathways and faulty learned responses, and in these cases meaningful choice is taken away from the addict.

i never chose to break my addiction, i badly wanted to but i simple couldn't. my parents changed the locks to my house (they'd been paying my mortgage for months) and told me to go to rehab. so i didn't choose to get well, i chose not to become homeless with nothing but the clothes on my back. once my brain had started healing and i'd had therapy to help address my CPTSD i was then able to make the choice to be clean myself. without that therapy, my options were, 'being raped or strangled every time i shut my eyes' or drugs. that's not really a choice now, is it?

Rubbish. Fuzzy logic deals with partial truths, more/less with uncertainty rather than true/false, Fuzzy logic would apply if someone could be half infected with coronavirus or if someone could partially infect someone else. Status on a continuum. The scenario is actually a multi-conditional scenario, if such and such is true and something else is is true then..... boolean conditional logic, true vs false and therefore probability theory. I am surprised you didn't see that.
there are loads of different types of fuzzy logic and some of them deal with counterfactuals, because standard predicate calculus treats them as always being false, but in the real world we often need to reason about counterfactuals. its difficult maths that is generally taught at masters level (at least where i got my masters in mathematical logic) so i don't blame you for not understanding.

there are loads of different types of fuzzy logic and some of them deal with counterfactuals, because standard predicate calculus treats them as always being false, but in the real world we often need to reason about counterfactuals. its difficult maths that is generally taught at masters level (at least where i got my masters in mathematical logic) so i don't blame you for not understanding.
Unfortunately you fell over examining the logic here. You fell over way before the mystic gnosticism of your jedi master level mathematical logic.

The only way a harm can result is through a conditional chain with all conditions beng true. Basic conditional probability defines the risk of the harm becoming extant. Nothing to do with counterfactuals fuzzy logic, or whatever other chaff and smoke screens you throw up. You know this or rather you should know this.

You are still advocating witholding medical treatment based on a moralistic judgement of worthiness (whether or not something is someones' choice), no matter how you twist and turn.

You want absolution for some people but are willing to withhold medical treatment of other people without seeing the inherent inconsistency. That is immoral, unethical and is not in the interests of the utilititarian greater good, which is the only justification for you can have for your position. You effectively completely undermine your own position by not acting in the greater good whilst claiming that is for the greater good.

You still seem to think it is acceptable to resort to the threat of the stick, coercion in other words. You were taught ethics therefore you know that is unnacceptable when it comes to medical intervention.

I don't think you can ethically refuse to treat someone, regardless of what retarded thing they've done to bring about their own harm.

Which is not to say that I'm against trying to pressure people into getting vaccinated. I'm just not really OK with using this particular tactic as the means.

It doesn't seem entirely established yet that coercive tactics are even needed. I mean it doesn't seem entirely clear what the vaccination rate will be without interference.

And even if it's too low that doesn't inherently mean that these kinds of coercive tactics, let alone this particular one, are the best way to increase the rate of vaccination.

Unfortunately you fell over examining the logic here. You fell over way before the mystic gnosticism of your jedi master level mathematical logic.

The only way a harm can result is through a conditional chain with all conditions beng true. Basic conditional probability defines the risk of the harm becoming extant. Nothing to do with counterfactuals fuzzy logic, or whatever other chaff and smoke screens you throw up. You know this or rather you should know this.
no, you fell over in reading comprehension. i have nowhere mentioned conditional probabilities, i am talking about non-standard logic that allows you to deal with counterfactuals, there are a number of ways to do this and they have been proven to be sound and complete, as required for a logical system. this has nothing to do with bayes theorem etc. it is to do with the fact that in standard predicate calculus modus ponens means we cannot deal with 'what if' scenarios, but living in the world often requires us to consider such scenarios, and thus mathematicians have formalised reasoning in this way.

the introduction of the book i recommended to you earlier deals exactly with long chains of if such and such then maybe such and such so perhaps such and such and actually uses a medical scenario as an example. if it was just boolean conditional logic and probability there would be no need for an entire other branch of maths to deal with these cases. just because you have decided not to bother looking into whether your comprehension in this area is limited does not mean that you know everything. it is not a smokescreen it is a more precise and detailed way of formulating chains of reasoning that allows for a more nuanced view- and its not just an arcane bit of maths, its applied in things like nuclear reactors because there just a possibility of something being wrong needs to be taken seriously.

You want absolution for some people but are willing to withhold medical treatment of other people without seeing the inherent inconsistency. That is immoral, unethical and is not in the interests of the utilititarian greater good, which is the only justification for you can have for your position. You effectively completely undermine your own position by not acting in the greater good whilst claiming that is for the greater good.
i stated that i am fine with people exercising their right not to vaccinate themselves, assuming it makes no difference to disease transmission, provided they then take on the associated responsibility of not burdening society with their choice. this is basic social contract theory.

i didn't say i want absolution for some people, i said that hey should be given the help they need to be able to make the best choices for themselves because they have an underlying pathology that prevents them from doing so.

You still seem to think it is acceptable to resort to the threat of the stick, coercion in other words. You were taught ethics therefore you know that is unnacceptable when it comes to medical intervention.
the ethics i was taught focused on how individuals and governments should behave within a society. i have given you multiple examples of where i have been coerced into medical interventions and you are fine with that so your position is not internally consistent.

And even if it's too low that doesn't inherently mean that these kinds of coercive tactics, let alone this particular one, are the best way to increase the rate of vaccination.
that is true. but i don't know what else there is to do given how susceptible people seem to be to misinformation. facebook banned loads of people who spread anti-vaccine misinformation and they just went elsewhere. i honestly consider people like del bigtree and andrew wakefield to effectively be murderers, because their actions have lead directly to people dying, but i doubt the legal system would and even if they went to prison someone else would pop up in their place.

I was pretty high and abortion probably not the best example. I am just dead against the government dictating what people should do with their bodies.

I am just dead against the government dictating what people should do with their bodies.
no government is forcing you to get vaccinated, i don't see how giving medical advice is 'dictating'- do you think they are dictating when they suggest you take adequate exercise, eat fruit and veg, wear a seatbelt, etc?

some governments are ensuring that refusal to vaccinate does not have an adverse effect on the rest of the population, which it is their duty to protect, for example by not allowing unvaccinated children in school, but they aren't dictating anything. in that scenario, parents are free not to vaccinate their children but they do not have the freedom to force other children who can't be vaccinated to be put at risk by their children.

no government is forcing you to get vaccinated, i don't see how giving medical advice is 'dictating'- do you think they are dictating when they suggest you take adequate exercise, eat fruit and veg, wear a seatbelt, etc?

some governments are ensuring that refusal to vaccinate does not have an adverse effect on the rest of the population, which it is their duty to protect, for example by not allowing unvaccinated children in school, but they aren't dictating anything. in that scenario, parents are free not to vaccinate their children but they do not have the freedom to force other children who can't be vaccinated to be put at risk by their children.

Perhaps you should read what i typed. Did i say they were dictating ? nope. I don't want to discuss anything with you after you calling me a disgusting human which is not cool for a moderator. You know nothing about me but i am struggling every day to get clean and i have to hear i'm disgusting because i don't agree with you? I also have PTSD from a sexual assault and that makes me feel like a disgusting person, i don't need a moderator in a harm reduction forum try to make me feel worse and it's disgusting of you to do that to a member.

Reply all you want , i won't be reading it

no, you fell over in reading comprehension. i have nowhere mentioned conditional probabilities, i am talking about non-standard logic that allows you to deal with counterfactuals, there are a number of ways to do this and they have been proven to be sound and complete, as required for a logical system. this has nothing to do with bayes theorem etc. it is to do with the fact that in standard predicate calculus modus ponens means we cannot deal with 'what if' scenarios, but living in the world often requires us to consider such scenarios, and thus mathematicians have formalised reasoning in this way.

the introduction of the book i recommended to you earlier deals exactly with long chains of if such and such then maybe such and such so perhaps such and such and actually uses a medical scenario as an example. if it was just boolean conditional logic and probability there would be no need for an entire other branch of maths to deal with these cases. just because you have decided not to bother looking into whether your comprehension in this area is limited does not mean that you know everything. it is not a smokescreen it is a more precise and detailed way of formulating chains of reasoning that allows for a more nuanced view- and its not just an arcane bit of maths, its applied in things like nuclear reactors because there just a possibility of something being wrong needs to be taken seriously.
No it was me that mentioned conditional probability, which it clearly is. The harm arises from a chain with boolian logic. which in turn leads to a conditional probability chain. Failure estimates for nuclear reactors is based on conditional probability chains too, so are rocket failures or any complex engineering. If something is true or false then it is boolian. therefore boolian conditional probability is more than adequate to describe the chance of a risk becoming extant, no need to invoke anything more complex.

you call out the risk that an unvaccinated person infects and kills an unwitting bystander which leads to this logic:

the description of the conditionals in the chain is this each state has an associated transistion probability and each answer only has two possible states.

1 person X is not vaccinated (true or false)

2 person X becomes infected (true or false)

3 person X infects some unwitting bystander (true or false)

4 the unwitting bystander suffers dies as a result of being infected by X (true or false)

P(unwitting person being harmed) = 1-P(all conditionals,1 thru 4, being true)

ie the complement of P(all conditionals being true) and is essentially very small number.

Unlike you I am not a Jedi mathematical master, but feel free to prove otherwise or show the error, I am genuinely interested to see if you can, without appeal to authority or relying on bluster.

the ethics i was taught focused on how individuals and governments should behave within a society. i have given you multiple examples of where i have been coerced into medical interventions and you are fine with that so your position is not internally consistent.

I stated that I was unhappy that you claimed medical interventions were carried out without your consent and that should not happen, feel free to revisit what I wrote. If you were sectioned then by definition you were deemed generally incapable of consent, though I am very uncomfortable with what that approach implies regarding agency and choice. I was taught medical ethics.

Last edited: