• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is your current supplement regimen and why you use them

I read an article (I'll dig it out later if I get the chance as it's in a pretty obscure spot with other school stuff 8)) that stated there may be no benefits to fish oils. No harmful effects, but no benefits. The article mainly stated that most of the fish oil on the market is ... inactive? I don't know the right wording for it at the moment, but basically most of the stuff has lost its potency through all the processing it has to go through. It suggested one type of processing over another if you had to get fish oils. I'd go with flax if I were you though--Get the whole seed and grind them fresh to use each day.

as someone who's based a TON on fish oils actually containing roughly the o3's they say, i'd reeaallllyy like to see that article if you can find it
(it'd have to be less than 10% of what the label says to make substituting flax viable, the o3's in flax<ala is most concentrated> are terribly inefficient)

fyasko- phytoestrogens in flax? for real? ugghhh, i abandoned soy products over that mess (can't say i can source the 'concern' for soy, i've never gotten to the bottom of it myself - i just avoid outta caution!)

http://herbal-powers.com/flaxseedoil.html

Phytoestrogens, which are abundant in flaxseed and soy, have chemical structures resembling those of endogenous estrogens and have been shown to exert hormonal effects. According to a research published on American Journal of Nutrition, supplementation with flaxseed modifies urinary estrogen metabolite excretion to a greater extent than does supplementation with an equal amount of soy. This modification by flaxseed is associated with an increase in urinary lignan excretion. Despite the shift in estrogen metabolism to favor the less biologically active estrogens, a negative effect on bone cell metabolism was not observed.

haven't had flax oil/seeds for a while, looks like it'll be a lot longer....
(i still can't find any direct correlation to blood levels of estrogen, but i know i stopped soy ASAP when i found this out, as i've sold phytoestrogens to many repeat menopause-customers :/)

haven't had flax oil/seeds for a while, looks like it'll be a lot longer....
(i still can't find any direct correlation to blood levels of estrogen, but i know i stopped soy ASAP when i found this out, as i've sold phytoestrogens to many repeat menopause-customers :/)

yeah i stopped soy too, its hard though, because they put soy in ALOT of food.

anyways back to the thread, currently im taking:

multivitamin
1000mcg methylcobalamin (b12)
250mg niacinamide (B3)
400mg magnesium citrate or 3mg melatonin before bed

the methylcobalamin is more absorbable than cyanacobalamin.
and the niacin is supposed to help with acne.
magnesium relaxes your muscles so you get a better sleep.
and melatonin helps put your body in sleep mode.

lemme post mah currents :)

multivits (3 kinds, alternated. w/ and w/o iron. 0.5-1.0/day)
fish oils (1-4/day of standard 1000mg's. usually 3-6/day)
magnesium/zinc at bedtime (~60-100%RDA of each, for muscular tension and testosterone production, respectively)
1-2mg melatonin on occasion for sleep
whey protein when i need extra protein
B+C pills taken pretty randomly ;P

as someone who's based a TON on fish oils actually containing roughly the o3's they say, i'd reeaallllyy like to see that article if you can find it
(it'd have to be less than 10% of what the label says to make substituting flax viable, the o3's in flax<ala is most concentrated> are terribly inefficient)
Unfortunately I didn't save the article I thought I did. :( The one I saved is on preventing a second heart attack by taking omega 3's and how they really did nothing. I'll scan it tomorrow at work and post it here tomorrow night.

By the time I remember to take it to work to scan it and then remember to e-mail it, I may as well have typed it...

Omega-3's Miss the Mark

Low doses of omega-3 fats failed to lower the risk of a second heart attack in people who survived their first.

Dutch researchers randomly assigned roughly 4,800 men and women aged 60 to 80 who had survived a heart attack to consume one of four margarines. One had 225 milligrams of EPA plus 150 mg of DHA (the two omega-3 fats in fish oil) in an average serving of about four teaspoons a day. Another had 1,900 mg of ALA (an omega-3 fat found in canola and soybean oil). A third had EPA, DHA, and ALA, and the last had no omega-3s.

After nearly 3 1/2 years, there was no difference in heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular events among the four groups. Among women, who comprised only 22 percent of all participants, those who got the ALA-enriched margarine had 27 percent fewer heart attacks than those who got no ALA, but the difference wasn't quite statistically significant.

The findings contradict two earlier studies--in Italy and Japan--that saw a lower risk of second heart attacks in people who were given fish oil pills. Why?

Fish oil may have less impact in the new study because the Dutch participants were only, 78 percent were male, and 85 percent were taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs (vs. 5 percent in the Italian and 46 percent in the Japanese study). What's more, many were also taking drugs to lower blood pressure and the risk of blood clots. Omega-3 fats may matter less when people are taking drugs to treat those risk factors.

A large study is now under way to see if omega-3s protect the hearts of people who have never had a heart attack.

What to do: Aim for two fish meals per week if you've never had a heart attack. If you've had a heart attack, check with your doctor.

- From Nutrition Action Healthletter, Feb/March '11.

The "what to do" bit kind of irks me as the study showed inconclusive results and yet they're saying to eat fish. 8(

Do your own research (this goes for anybody) and take the article I've given with a grain of sea salt. :p

i'll cede that there are already empty bottles at my place, but where is anything related to fish oils having the o3's they're supposed to have?
(unless you're just saying they're ineffective for some things, and not 'inactive'. i'm sure there are tons of studies proving they do nothing for <x>, and tons saying they are effective. taken altogether, the evidence points overwhelmingly to o3's boosting health - of course, if the o3's weren't in / were inactive in the fishies we buy, it'd be a complete scam)

yeah i stopped soy too, its hard though, because they put soy in ALOT of food.

anyways back to the thread, currently im taking:

multivitamin
1000mcg methylcobalamin (b12)
250mg niacinamide (B3)
400mg magnesium citrate or 3mg melatonin before bed

the methylcobalamin is more absorbable than cyanacobalamin.
and the niacin is supposed to help with acne.
magnesium relaxes your muscles so you get a better sleep.
and melatonin helps put your body in sleep mode.

Swap the Citrate for Orotate (seeing as Citrate has not only an extremely low BA but has been linked to some health issues)....never touch Magnesium Citrate, Chelate or Oxide (given their low BA and pro-oxidant effect). There is another form of Mg that is preferrable but I can't remember what it is called right now.

^theres a good chance.
i think there are about 8 different types of vitamin E so thats probably what he meant.

out of all the supplements ive ever taken, which is quite a lot, omega 3 has been the most profound and given me the best noticeable effects. just a random bit of info i thought i would share. i HIGHLY recommend it. been taking holland & barret ones for awhile

ginkgo is also good, although i swear it makes me a bit grumpy

i recently started taking magnesium malate and i swear its having a bad effect on me, i woke up this morning feeling groggy as fuck, almost like a hangover feeling. strange

^yeah ive noticed that omega-3's make my skin alot more brighter and nicer overall.
and thats wierd, because im reading that magnesium malate is actually supposed to help treat fatigue so you shouldnt be feeling like that.

Magnesium malate combines magnesium and malic acid. Both substances help produce energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which studies show can be deficient in fibromyalgia (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME/CFS). Magnesium helps cells form and maintains muscles, bones and nerves.

started taking ginkgo again. gotta say the mental clarity from ginkgo combined with omega 3 is damn good. although sometimes i find myself randomly waking up in the night, which never used to happen before

Daily:
-GNC Mega Men Multi-Vitamin
-GNC Tri-Flex (Joint Support)
-NOW Dopa Mucuna
-Nordic Naturals Omega 3

Currently Trying/Non-Staples:
-PES AnaBeta
-Sustain Alpha

Pre-Workout:
-Citrulline Malate
-Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate (AAKG)
-Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR)
-NOW Beta-Alanine

Post-Workout:
-Creatine Monohydrate
-NOW Beta-Alanine

Phenibut (on occasion as a sleep aid)

Protein:
-CytoSport Whey Protein
-ON Casein Protein

-

You will find several reputable studies demonstrating the benefits of Omega 3's if you look around the right places. I trust published medical journals a lot more than I do an article somebody wrote to be honest.

However...I don't feel I should continue buying these Omega's as I don't really feel or notice any difference whatsoever. I feel that if I was more unhealthy, possibly with some medical issues and I didn't eat well, then I would feel more of a benefit, but I don't want to continue spending large amounts of money on a capsule that I don't feel I am gaining anything from.