• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is your current supplement regimen and why you use them

^ Do you eat table salt?

i don't use table salt bc it tastes like shit, so i just use celtic sea salt. i also don't really eat seafood. and i don't eat any packaged foods whatsoever either so there is very little iodine in my diet compared to someone eating the standard american diet which includes a ton of iodized salt.

Oh, and low iodine doesn't cause hypo or hyper thyroidism

i was saying that fluoride is used to treat hyperthyroidism. my supplement is not isolated iodine, it's just kelp/sea weed/stuff like that that grows in the sea.

Your thyroid will adjust to do what your body needs but because there's no iodine, the negative feedback loop shutting off the production of a hormone won't work, so your thyroid will enlarge to produce more and more... Forming goiter.

and i don't really understand what you're saying here.

isn't goiter is caused by iodine insufficiency or an under-active thyroid which causes the thyroid to swell in a quest to produce more? that's at least the cause in places where people don't use iodized salt.

maybe i'm taking what you said the wrong way.

For the record, the salt in processed food is not iodized--If it was, it would have to state it on the label.

I know nothing about fluoride being used to treat hyperthyroidism and was not meaning to imply that I did. :p

I was saying that goiter is caused by a low iodine level. Basically, your body needs iodine to utilize a thyroid hormone. Because iodine is not there, your thyroid isn't receiving the signal from the rest of your body to shut off production (since there isn't iodine), so it swells in size to produce more and more hormone when more hormone isn't what is needed--More iodine is.

Oh, P.S. Do you drink cow's milk? There's iodine in that. There's iodine in some pretty strange places... Here's a nifty chart for amounts in different foods. It's totally safe for work, just big:
NSFW:
2011-05-29_1706.png

For the record, the salt in processed food is not iodized--If it was, it would have to state it on the label.

I know nothing about fluoride being used to treat hyperthyroidism and was not meaning to imply that I did. :p

I was saying that goiter is caused by a low iodine level. Basically, your body needs iodine to utilize a thyroid hormone. Because iodine is not there, your thyroid isn't receiving the signal from the rest of your body to shut off production (since there isn't iodine), so it swells in size to produce more and more hormone when more hormone isn't what is needed--More iodine is.

Oh, P.S. Do you drink cow's milk? There's iodine in that. There's iodine in some pretty strange places... Here's a nifty chart for amounts in different foods. It's totally safe for work, just big:
NSFW:
2011-05-29_1706.png

The FDA doesn't require labeling of salt as iodized or not iodized unless it's sold as just salt. If it was in a food/mix/whatever processed thing it is just labeled "salt." But most isn't iodized. I think it's like 70 percent not iodized but i'd have to check. Red food dyes also contain a bit of iodine, and we all know how much those are used to sell shit that no one would eat/enjoy if it wasn't bright pink.

And yes on the dairy, i drink raw milk. maybe i don't need the caps afterall, i have just been filling gram caps with granulated kelp. which would be annoying except for the fact that i stole a spatula from my lab that is the perfect size/shape for filling capsules.

And hahah the foods listed on that chart sound like the menu at a convalescent home.

Where'd you hear that, about the FDA? Just curious, 'cause my professor who's an RD told us that processed food has to have it on the label if it's iodized or not, but that the majority of it isn't since it's extra cost for iodized versus non-iodized salt.

Not sure if raw milk has iodine in it. Check before you stop taking your supplements, just in case you do need them.

I haven't taken an iodine supplement and I haven't developed goiter despite not using table salt or eating processed foods for the better part of two years. *Shrug* I do eat a lot of prunes and bananas, though I don't know how long it takes goiter to develop--I'd assume pretty rapidly.

I read it on a traditional food ala weston a price blog that i subscribe to. The chick called the FDA and asked someone there.

I have a high opinion of professors, but not of RDs. They're always dispensing Jello, skim milk, snackwell cookies, and other packaged shit to patients because it's "low fat" which is "healthy." Bad ideas.

Uhh, RDs don't dispense Jell-o, skim milk, Snackwell cookies and other packaged shit--They guide clients in the right direction as far as what to eat. Yes, sometimes they do tell patients to eat Jell-o because it's low fat, but that's mostly because the client is looking for something low fat. Are you sure you're not thinking of DTRs? They can do diet orders in the hospitals/nursing homes. Mainly the nurses/doctors do the diet orders though, and the DTRs recommend a diet order for a patient.

ANYWAYS, let's see if we can get this thread back on topic. If you don't take a supplement, you really don't belong here. That includes myself. :p (Though I will be keeping an eye on things. ;)

My most recent addition is Bacopa. I seem to cycle this one, and recently I have stopped using most supplements for fear that they were effecting me negatively. I'm a person with allergies to many things; I react with foods, herbs, sugar etc. I'm wanting to get back to baseline... limiting my use of supplements to a couple herbs, targeted vitamins... so that I can identify easier what's bothering me when it does.

I take
Bacopa- I like it. It's good for memory, and general cognition.
Rhodiola Rosea- Adrenal health-energy/antidepressant/increase insulin sensitivity.
Kelp (Iodine)- Nothing I eat has high enough iodine that I'm aware of.
B Vitamin Complex- mmmm
R-Lipoic Acid- I forget why, but I'll continue.
Chlorella- Mercury detoxification, even though I have huge fillings still and probably won't get them taken out, I just want to aid in the release of it and other things from other tissues in my body... and because it's a vitamin C source (I have no other currently), good for allergies, a good source of iron, vitamin K, and a very good source of chlorophyll.
About to run out of Citicoline. Choline has many benefits.
D-3 dosage range from approx 4000-6000 IU daily
Coenzyme Q-10 100 mg 1-2 times daily, because it's good.
Magnesium for various reasons.
Plant-based digestive enzymes
Serratiopeptidase enzyme for pain, occasionally
And occasionally some enzymes (mainly amylase) for seasonal allergy resistance, but I've ran out and probably won't purchase again until August, unless they become bothersome again before then.

Sometimes copper sebacate to aid with energy. I really might need to take a multivitamin/mineral supplement, but with my sensitivities it has been hard locating one without some kind of offensive to my body herb, fruit, or other substance. I try to justify not taking all of the supplements I used to by thinking about how people became people... not always "full"... or else there'd be no reason to "be better" or get around or solve a problem.

In the future I would like to add back in phosphatidylserine... as I found it was one of the best nootropics and medicines for my "ADD" that I've tried. What is holding me back is a fear of a soy allergy that I developed (fear of) back when I know sugar started effecting me in a way resembling allergies... so it might be just sugar. I have yet to challenge this... and it's not very likely that something derived from soy lecithin should cause a soy-allergic response. I'm just kind of freaked out by allergies/feeling crappy. Phosphatidylserine supplements are currently derived from soy or sunflower lecithin. Sunflower-derived is about twice as expensive by the routes that I might take.

Also at this point I almost consider salt as a "supplement", as virtually nothing I eat has sodium.

Last edited:
Fish oil

<snip>

Probiotics

<snip>

Zinc
Vitamin D
Melatonin
Garlic and ginger

<snip> is a fantastic web store for purchasing any supplements/ health goods and that's even with shipping to the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
full B, C, E complex, R-Lipoic Acid, fishoil by the handfull, and piracetam one month on/off. Stay away from sugar, but live on berries and Vega protein. You could probably roll every other day, but why bother? You need a life and normal people are never that consistently happy, and you will appreciate the balance. :D

Vitamin B
Coffee
Vitamin C
Fish oil (MY FAVORITE EVER)
Whey Protein

Never experienced "Molly Depression" So felt no need to buy 5-htp even though my friends all have it.

Soon my supplementation will be more like

250mg test E

full B, C, E complex, R-Lipoic Acid, fishoil by the handfull, and piracetam one month on/off. Stay away from sugar, but live on berries and Vega protein. You could probably roll every other day, but why bother? You need a life and normal people are never that consistently happy, and you will appreciate the balance. :D
can you elaborate on this E "complex" (i just stay away from the "dl"-type).
why do you find the racemic ALA worth the price? why so much fish oil?(it's good - no, GREAT - stuff, but the balance of O3's, 6's, and 9's is important, it's not just "get as much 3's as possible")
how are you staying away from sugar while 'living on berries'?
(and you 'could' roll e/o day, well for a short while til they stopped working :/ )

Vitamin B
Coffee
Vitamin C
Fish oil (MY FAVORITE EVER)
Whey Protein

Never experienced "Molly Depression" So felt no need to buy 5-htp even though my friends all have it.

Soon my supplementation will be more like

250mg test E
good supplements, not missing anything important except, maybe, a multivitamin ;P
jealous-as-shit over your new supp's tho ;PPP ((why only 250mg? are you stacking it with something else? gg check if you posted in the steroid subby))

I'm about to start taking a Omega 3 Supplement...can anybody tell me if it's really worth the money? It's a reputable vendor and a very clean source. Can I expect any noticeable change in my health? I don't really want to spend money on something that won't really make much difference in my health. I know there are citations backing up the benefits, but it's hard to tell who to actually trust with neutral and unbiased claims not backed by suppliers of the supplements!

I'm hoping to better my cognitive function and memory if that's possible. My memory is so, so bad after having seizures, it would be nice if the Omega supp helped me in some way.

I take Whey Protein, Creatine and about to start Omega 3

atm just a swiss multi, fish oil and the creatine ee.

i still drink green tea all day every day and get short tweaks from an energy drink on the occasion where i have to cram in some study.

I'm about to start taking a Omega 3 Supplement...can anybody tell me if it's really worth the money? It's a reputable vendor and a very clean source. Can I expect any noticeable change in my health? I don't really want to spend money on something that won't really make much difference in my health. I know there are citations backing up the benefits, but it's hard to tell who to actually trust with neutral and unbiased claims not backed by suppliers of the supplements!

I'm hoping to better my cognitive function and memory if that's possible. My memory is so, so bad after having seizures, it would be nice if the Omega supp helped me in some way.

it's absolutely worth the money (fishies and mv's are my top-2 supplements, teh 'better' one depends who the person is). as far as making a change in your health, "noticable" may be a high bar to set, but if you were low on O-3's then you'll have a definite increase in multiple types of 'health'. (i'd add a multivitamin too, and make sure you're adding water while taking the creatine. whey is the best protein powder you can get)

it's absolutely worth the money (fishies and mv's are my top-2 supplements, teh 'better' one depends who the person is). as far as making a change in your health, "noticable" may be a high bar to set, but if you were low on O-3's then you'll have a definite increase in multiple types of 'health'. (i'd add a multivitamin too, and make sure you're adding water while taking the creatine. whey is the best protein powder you can get)

Oh yeah. I am by no means new to the Creatine/Whey game (well aware of the fantastic BCAA Profile of Whey), been bodybuilding for a few years now and always interested in healthy living....it's merely the Omega's that I never knew about/bothered with as I always just ate Mackerel and other fish which I felt was sufficient but now I would like to supplement it somewhat!

I read an article (I'll dig it out later if I get the chance as it's in a pretty obscure spot with other school stuff 8)) that stated there may be no benefits to fish oils. No harmful effects, but no benefits. The article mainly stated that most of the fish oil on the market is ... inactive? I don't know the right wording for it at the moment, but basically most of the stuff has lost its potency through all the processing it has to go through. It suggested one type of processing over another if you had to get fish oils. I'd go with flax if I were you though--Get the whole seed and grind them fresh to use each day.

its got a few noticeable benefits.
your skin is deffinitley gonna be nicer,
and you might have a better mood after about a week,
but from all the studies ive read, fish oil does wonders for the body.

i take a o-3-6-9 product now, but i think imma switch over to just an o-3 product when i run out.

This is an update from whatever I posted before. My current daily supplement regimen is:
Piracetam (3-6g)
Multi-vitamins (the chewable gummy kind so I can stomach them with all the other things I take)
Milk Thistle Extract (1g)
Ginger root extra (550mg)
Ginseng complex (varies)
Vitamin B Complex (half pill)
Vitamin E (400mcg)

EDIT: I sometimes take 5-HTP (50-100mg) to help me sleep.

definitely go for the fish oils, they're cheap and -provided a good source- safe. extremely smart option if you're not eating fatty fish regularly ;P
/whey protein is definitely the best for bodybuilding imo, but even for general usage the stuff is amazing (bcaa's as you mentioned, bioavailability, etc). my mother uses whey lol.

^^what about flax oil?
i was looking at a bottle of it today at the health store and it had a HUGE amount of omegas 3&6
and its cheaper than fish oil.

but it contains phytoestrogens so idk...