• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is your current supplement regimen and why you use them

daily creatine and protein supplements...

for gaining some weight for football during the offseason.

One Multi-vitamin.
1000mg Vitamin C.
I also eat quite well.
On a site note: I find if I supplement with Magnesium I get severe stomach pains, even if I comsume with food.
Does anyone have any ideas why?
I don't bother anymore.
:\
PEACE

AM:
150 mg 5-HTP
2g Udo's Choice EFA blend
400 IU Vit E
250 mg alpha lipoic acid
& my scripts (pulmicort, oxeze, singulair, all for asthma)
600 mg ALCAR
5 psillium husk caplets

Noon(ish)
600 mg ALCAR
5 psillium husk caplets

Evening
150 mg 5-HTP
2g Udo's Choice
5 psillium husk caplets

Before bed (~10 PM)
150 mg 5-HTP

I'm planning on adding piracetam next week, and was wondering what everyone's opinon on what a good choline supplement would be?
VelocideX- That sucks about smi2le, I've ordered from them in the past and have had no problems. Maybe customs seized your order (they may not have looked past the BIG bags of white powder)?

My apologies to the as-yet-nonexistant mods for source discussion ;)

a multivitamin

sometimes ill take melatonin for a few days before bed, especially if i slept in and stayed up late over the weekend

when you guys list your supplements/etc, could you also post a short statement on why you take that? because i am not sure why i would want to take more than the multivitamin, except for a few things which i will begin reading about

Piracetam sounds interesting...is it completely legal? What are the long term risks?

Choline bitartrate is ok. centrophenoxine is better. Alpha GPC is supposed to be really good.

Fish oil: Is extremely good for everything. Most people in the western world have a diet that is deficient in fish... what's really deficient is EPA/DHA. They're fatty acids that are widely used in your body, and especially in your brain. They stablise neuronal membranes, from memory. Studies show that it's effective at combating depression and memory problems.

Piracetam: Where to start... this is a wonder drug. The first of the so-called "nootropics". Though the exact mechanism is unknown, it appears to focus on ion channels. VERY low toxicity (e.g. no LD50 is known for piracetam). There is some mild instant effect (the so-called 'fast effect'), but the best benefits build over a period of 2 or more weeks of every-day usage (the 'slow effect'). Increases memory capacity and executive functioning generally. Also does great things when combined with pills.... seems to increase the perception of the pills effects. Significantly potentiates tryptamine hallucinogens.

Selegiline is an irreversible (suicide) inhibitor of MAOB. Thus it raises brain levels of dopamine and phenethylamine. Furthermore it appears to interfere with apoptosis signalling, thus inhibiting neuronal cell death. The later mechanism of action appears to be independent of the MAOB inhibition, and seems to be related to the fact that it is a propargylamine compound. Selegiline is metabolised to l-methamphetamine and l-amphetamine, which inhibit the reuptake of dopamine. (Selegiline won't get you high however. the 'fun' methamphetamine is d-amphetamine and d-methamphetamine. l-methamphetamine is good as a nasal decongestant, and not much else). Net result is that (taken over a period of a few weeks) one's brain feels remarkably sharper, with a much better memory. If taken over a VERY long period (decades), it can prevent parkinson's disease. I think it also acts to prevent excitotoxicity.

Acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR) is important in mitochondrial energy processes. It is used for shuttling lipids into the mitochondria (from memory). May assist in fat loss, but ultimately increases energy production in neurons, and appears to increase memory function.

ALA (alpha lipoic acid) is produced naturally by your body, but in relatively small amounts. Again, important in the energy cycle. Increases glucose uptake into cells, and is an EXTREMELY powerful antioxidant that is both water and fat soluble, so it gets everywhere.

The ALA + ALCAR is extremely synergistic; studies show that aged rats given the combination behave, on many memory and learning tests, much more like young rats :)

As you might be able to tell, I like having a sharp brain. I'm lazy as hell with uni, and I can cram more information into my brain in a smaller time period. My marks have certainly improved as a result, though arguably if I took more time before exams I'd still achieve the better results anyway.

VelocideX said:
I completely agree :)

I must admit though, I'm yet to find a plant/animal that produces piracetam/selegiline. Please let me know if you find one ;)

hehe i guess i was adressing more the suppliments like vitamins and various amino acids. suppliments that are actually drugs that change the way your body works are obviously different..

i used to take a multivitamin on a daily basis and i didnt notice any benefit, i'd say my overall health is better now then it was when i was taking the suppliment. now i just figure why spend the money on vitamins when I could be having a delicious sandwich with a bunch of veggies on it =D

You have to continually take this supplements to maintain the benefits correct?

I agree with you frizzantik , but it's not the whole story. Thing is if you look at FDA recommended daily nutrition intake you will see that probably 90 % of people do not consume enough quality food. It's a fast world, you can't get good food around every corner, and really eating by their recommendation is impossible for many. Also, even organic and unprocessed food is not same anymore, the land is not so nutritient rich anymore, you don't get enough vitamins, minerals, phytonutritients and other stuff as 100 years ago.
Also, i've read some long term research where multivitamin intake resulted in people being less sick, less depressed, had better skin and so on. While vitamins and minerals from pills are less bioavailable, there is many times more of those than needed by the body, so in the end you get at least some benefits from it.
One more thing, people now live longer due to better healthcare, hygiene and so on. Probably in 50 years life expectancy in developed countried could be 80-90 years, and some of the reasons could be multivits, nootropics and other good stuff. In order to live un-naturally long and un-naturally healthy you probably need to take something little un-natural :)

frizzantik said:
i fear bluelighters are so accustomed to taking pills that they think concentrated amounts of pure vitamins will be better than getting those vitamins from various natural sources. A diet that is rich in whole (as in unprocessed) foods is a lot better than eating crappy food and taking a multi-vitamin. many of the vitamin suppliements out there are poorly absorbed because your body isn't built to take the vitamins in thier pure forms. Other vitamins have unexpected results.. like vitamin E does such a good job promoting cell groth, it will speed up the spread of cancers.

besides, minimally processed foods taste so much better, and your stomach will thank you too =D

I follow a well balanced diet and don't have any supplements right now but I plan on starting some next week for increased energy and decreased anxiety. Piracetam sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experience with tyramine or phenibut? I have read that tyramine gives increased energy and is the only thing you cant take with an mao inhibitor, which is fine for me. What about phenibut for anxiety? I heard this works well with piracetam as well. I read in a magazine iron helps the brain produce dopamine, should i take iron with these? Also, anyone out there know that they are taking inositol? Thanks.

great post velocide

i have a question--would anything be beneficial for my skin if its very dry and itchy? i started using a moisterizing soap and shampoo for the shower, which has worked well, but am wondering if theres anything else i could do, in the way of vitamins or supplements

p.s. at that site velocide mentioned, vitacost.com, what do you think of this? "neuropower" supplement formula
http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Produ...KUNumber=835003301089&searchby=PN&bt=products

Last edited:
5HTP 50mg 1 per day
with
Niacin 5mg
Vit B6 5mg
Magnesium 25mg
Valerian Root 50mg

Anti-Oxidant every other day
Vit E 268mg
Vit C 500mg
Beta Carotene 15mg
Selenium 50ug

Multi-Vit 1 per day
Vit A 750ug
Vit D 2.5ug
Vit E 6mg
Vit C 60mg
Vit B1 1.2mg
Vit B2 1.5mg
Vit B6 1.0mg
Vit B12 2.0ug
Niacin 10mg
Folic Acid 400ug
Pantothenic Acid 5.0mg
Calcium 160mg
Iron 6.0mg

qwe consider vit B-complex as the basis, as well as some beta carotene (don't buy synthetic vit a)

just cod liver oil capsules (contains all the fishy goodness)... my ankles, wrists, shoulders click alot and i'm hoping that its going to help !

any other suggestions on thinkgs to take for 'clicky' joints ?
its a bit embarassing at work.. you can always hear me get up :)

Getting your vitamin A as beta-carotene is usually considered preferable. Beta-carotene washes out fairly easily, and is easily converted to vitamin A. So its kind of hard to build up any toxic amount of it in your body. If its not needed, the body won't convert it. Vitamin A is fat-soluble though, and if you take too much in vitamin pills and then get a fair amount in your diet, you can build up unhealthy levels.

i think the two most important things one can take for vitality and good health are some kind of greenfood supplement (spirulina, blue green algea, chlorella, wheatgrass juice powder, etc) and some kind of essential fatty acid-rich oil (flax, hemp, evening primrose, borage, cod liver, etc).

you'll get all the vitamins, phytonutrients and trace minerals you need for the day from a tablespoon of green food. and a tablespoon of EFA-rich oil will give your body the essential fats it needs to repair your drug addled brain.

i take a heaping scoop of perfect food by garden of life every morning with my fresh pressed carrot juice for breakfast. with dinner i consume a tablespoon of barlean's lingan-twin borage/flax oil blend.

the body is not good at assimilating vitamins in the form of pills, especially if the vitamins are synthetic. it's better to get your nutrition from food.