• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I know little about gc/ms and analysis of mdma but what are the chances realistically that 2,3-MDP2P glycidate could be mistaken for actual 3,4-mdma? That's the ultimate question right there.

I remember the first 2,3-mdma glycidate analysis was done on trump pills. I read around on those and found there was supposedly a batch that was straight "meth" but I'm wondering if those were the 2,3-glycidate pills that people just felt as bunk..

Just want to add I've moved to an area where I feel Canadian mdma has even more influence than my past location I called home.. Tonight I saw random people giving massages and hugs beyond anything I've had in 6-8yrs at least. Many pupils dilated and sweaty folks dancing away.. MDA seems common round here just from the little I've seen so far which is rare in places where mongy mdma is common.. The love was running high tonight, it was beautiful. It could be one of two things, Canadian mdma is the shit, or my old scene was jaded from all the cocaine flooding in.. Either is real possibility.. But yea real mdxx still exists, just gotta know where to look.

I've also been slowly working on a new thread that will outline some different effects of different synth routes. That's to come..

Goodnight,
-GC

Last edited:
There is something called Protonmail that encodes messages to keep things somewhat private. You may need some other things like IPVanish and Tail, but I don’t know. I got lazy and quit with the covert stuff. Just thought I’d throw it out there in case anyone was interested.

PGP encryption will do the trick if anyone wants to discuss anything privately.

Plenty of youtube tutorials out there. I have my own key so if anyone wants to chat privately feel free to send me a message asking for it.

Though I feel encryption isn't needed for anything in this discussion.

Just figured out how to use encryption as of recently thanks to a handy youtube guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and it could get this forum raided and shut down for aiding and abetting international drug trafficing.

I prefer to find a country where I can receive and test small samples legally ...even if I have to report them later to the local authorities.

This 100%. Can people keep things clean in here so I don't have to go through editing 5-6 posts? There is a very good reason that we don't allow source/supply on here, and that reason was just specified by Glubrahnum. Bluelight was documented in a big report a year or two back saying that it was a hub of source and supply. That's because people are constantly trying to get away with stuff (on open forums of all places), despite our guidelines (which instruct us to permaban for source/supply). There is no way of skirting this rule - no more, please.

Just want to add I've moved to an area where I feel Canadian mdma has even more influence than my past location I called home.. Tonight I saw random people giving massages and hugs beyond anything I've had in 6-8yrs at least. Many pupils dilated and sweaty folks dancing away.. MDA seems common round here just from the little I've seen so far which is rare in places where mongy mdma is common.. The love was running high tonight, it was beautiful. It could be one of two things, Canadian mdma is the shit, or my old scene was jaded from all the cocaine flooding in.. Either is real possibility.. But yea real mdxx still exists, just gotta know where to look.

Cocaine is a real issue with regard to that, especially with older crowds. People tend to stop taking MDMA after a few years of heavy use, so by your mid twenties a lot of the nights/associated crowds start containing a lot more sober/drunk/coked up people.

I'll admit I know little about gc/ms and analysis of mdma but what are the chances realistically that 2,3-MDP2P glycidate could be mistaken for actual 3,4-mdma? That's the ultimate question right there.

I remember the first 2,3-mdma glycidate analysis was done on trump pills. I read around on those and found there was supposedly a batch that was straight "meth" but I'm wondering if those were the 2,3-glycidate pills that people just felt as bunk..

I've also been slowly working on a new thread that will outline some different effects of different synth routes. That's to come..

Goodnight,
-GC

There is absolutely zero chance the could be mistaken for each other by Mass Spec

Also, yes, coke is the destroyer of dreams, ravager of innocence, and turns fun people into sketched out paranoid weirdos. (I very much dislike coke. And have used copious amounts).

Yea I think I'm going to agree with you guys, the cocaine is likely the biggest problem. It's such a weird drug in that you think it makes you more social (and it usually does the first few bumps) but after a few hours almost everyone winds up getting quiet and anti social.

I've been addicted a few times, last fall it got me by the balls again after nearly 10yrs of "a few times a year.." By the end of that binge last fall I was hiding inside every weekend just snorting lines and shuffling through activities feeling like nothing was "right." It becomes the opposite of fun yet that next sweet line of fish scale is all too tempting. Don't even get me started on crack..

Funny enough, and I planned this (I've learned these medicines over the years) I was able to stop that addiction dead in its tracks with a good roll/trip/flip. I was using high quality straight off the brick fish scale 2-3 times a week for 3months or so.. Since that experience which allowed me to reset, I've only done it once and felt zero compulsion to get more once it was gone (couldn't put it down while I had it though lol.)

But yea it's garbage, as someone who was born into a world of cocaine. Someone who's been doing cocaine before I was even born... I can say hands down it's truly an evil substance. There's nothing good about it yet when I smell that beautiful smell I get lost in a trance and sniffing just one more weighs heavily on my mind.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate to see what it's done to the dance/music scene of my home state. I thought ketamine was bad but I'd rather have people monged out laying around then cocky bad vibes cocaine users.

Your right to some extent there Tranced, it's this reason that I prefer younger crowds (18-24) cuz everyone's hyphy and just the energy off those youngins rolling hard is enough to put a smile on my face and get me going even harder despite me not being on mdma more often than not. With that said, where I live now cocaine seems less common and the music scene has lots of older folks that don't seem jaded like where I'm from originally.

And thanks beenhead!

So how is this stuff going under the labs nose? Now although both samples which tested with 2,3-MDP2P glycidate were from the same source, my guess is this problem is more wide spread then this one source. Why you ask? Because both samples tested were substantially different in form, we've got a pressed pill and then we've got loose powder. On top of that the analysis found different minor components indicating perhaps a different lab/origin.

-GC

Last edited:
Whilst I don't doubt that some labs cannot properly distinguish between certain regioisomers of MDMA, there's just no way a fully fledged government laboratory tasked by the authorities to precisely analyze all illicit substances for the purposes of prosecution, would mistake 2,3-MD for 3,4-MD. If the lab cannot distinguish these two then the whole process of reliably and accurately identifying potentially illegal substances would grind to a halt. In many jurisdictions 2,3-MD wouldn't even be prohibited and the system just would not tolerate a person being prosecuted for possessing or selling 3,4-MDMA if they in actual fact had 2,3-MDMA.

I continue to come back to the glycidate as being the genesis of the problem and the solution perhaps lies in what these labs actually do with this substance when making MDMA.

Of course high purity PMK glycidate can be easily turned into PMK, that can then be vacuum distilled to provide near pure PMK; this being surely near identical to similarly purified safrole produced PMK, with any MDMA manufactured from this being entirely awesome. However, this clearly isn't what is happening when we are talking about MDMA being made from this particular pre-precursor on an industrial scale.

Have a look at this article:
http://mixmag.net/feature/we-went-undercover-in-a-chinese-mdma-factory
Now put aside what you might legitimately think about the provenance of the article and instead focus on the quite extraordinary statement in the paragraph immediately after the photo of the road with the blue Asian street sign:

He revealed the details of his synthesis to me, and I verified the feasibility of the method with an equally expert but legitimate chemist. It wasn't just feasible, he told me; it was beautiful. "It achieves complex molecular changes in a single concerted step, almost like watching a solar system of planets align". "Elegant" is a good word for it, too. "It's the sort of thing that anyone [any organic chemist] could have come up with once it's explained to you, but really, the first person to come up with this [method] had quite a stroke of inspiration," he said.

If this is true then does anyone actually know what is happening in these reactions and what sort of products might be produced?

Earlier in this thread i cited a European article that confirmed that around the time of the switch to the glycidate, the reducing agent of choice used for the reductive amination step changed markedly from a borohydride to hydrogenation over a platinum metal catalyst. Why make this change unless the reaction is now substantially different to just using pure PMK and pure methylamine like the good old days; does this catalyst allow for a one reaction hydrolysis and reductive amination step which the earlier far more commonly used reducing agents did not?

If this is correct then any number of consequences might arise:

- the product would not be racemic especially if only one enantiomer of the chiral glycidate is used.

- what on earth is produced when the glycidate is hydrolyzed and would this also undergo reductive animation to produce who knows what kind of toxic alkyl amine in the same reaction (and which would be removed by advanced purification steps that others have discussed and which seems to greatly assist)

- there are multiple different PMK glycidate type pre-precursors being used already and no doubt the products resulting from a one ?step? or ?pot? amination to MDMA would vary wildly in nature and number, depending on the specific pre-precursor being used

- what impact might using heavy metal catalysts have on the purity of the product, especially if it is reused in massive reactions over and over again, with the catalyst no doubt being sourced from an industry that is not manufacturing chemicals for human consumption.

This simply confirms that we need to know, to a high degree of scientific detail, the answer to these questions:

(1) The identity of the various impurities found in samples of MDMA these days which are materially different from the sorts of impurities which have always been found in illicitly produced MDMA;
(2) The enantiomeric (S:R) ratio of the MDMA; is it racemic as many people still believe or are many samples out there skewed in a particular direction (likely the R if anything);
(3) The precise chemical identity of all the pre-precursors currently being used to manufacture MDMA; PMK glycidate is one but there are at least several more;
(4) What manufacturing methods are used to convert the pre-precursor to MDMA, in particular is: (i) MDMA being made via some type of "one-pot" synthesis or is there some attempt to extract and purify the PMK first, and (ii) what chemicals are used in the reductive amination part of the process; and
(4) What really happens at a molecular level when these glycidates/gycidic esters etc hydrolyze into separate components and do the "other components" involve themselves in later aspects of the process (or are otherwise not removed from the product produced) - people assume it is simple and assume these pre-precursors simply produce PMK to be used at the manufacturer's leisure in a later reaction, forgetting that there is an entire half a molecule floating around the vessel which is completely absent when purified PMK on its own.

Personally, I think the reality of what we are dealing with is potentially even more complicated than the nature of the discussions to date and which may reveal a considerably worse state of affairs than what we have arrived at currently (which is already bad enough!)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
^^^I think the chemist in that article is definitely alluding to a one pot straight from the glycidate. It's not too hard to break down PMK glycidate to PMK in-situ, I would think.. There's a number of ways it could be done.

Reading around more it seems piperanol is the pre-precursor to PMK-glycidate. I believe this is probably the main starting point over safrole these days, as we see with the Canadian analysis even they use it over there despite there also being safrole available.

I agree completely this issue is likely extremely complex with many variables, we need to do our best to look at the full scope of things to determine what's really going on.

I'm not really sure why the change in amination though... I think your on to something, things don't change unless they need to.

-GC

GC - I will repost the article as it is too important not to remind everyone.

Now the figures here are for MDMA seizures in Australia, where the bulk of our MDMA would come from Europe and bugger all is manufactured locally. I also seriously doubt much of any of it comes from Canada.

https://www.acic.gov.au/sites/g/fi...amphetamine-type_stimulants.pdf?v=1498020180

See pages 15 to 17 and in particular tables six and seven

The MASSIVE % change from using borohydride previously to then in 2013 and every year after almost exclusively using hydrogenation with Platinum catalyst (where it was scarcely used before), cannot be ignored.

The fact the change coincides with about the year PMK glycidate became the norm in Europe, yields yet further significance to this issue, probably some ten times over!!

If I was a betting man I bet the Canadians are not only using PMK produced from safrole or piperonyl, but they are also using sodium borohydride in the reductive amination step.

Last edited:
^^^I just looked at platinum hydrogenation on rhodium. The first "recipe" (hehe I know how much some people hate that word) involves glacial acetic acid.

Without getting any deeper into the mechanics it appears to me that if someone were to substitute PMK with PMK-glycidate, it could be done as a one pot with minor tweaking.

It's my belief this hydrogenation is used because of this combined with its scalability.

After a quick look over of the borohydride method I see no mention of an acid which would convert PMK gly to PMK. Not to say it couldn't but maybe that reaction won't allow for it to be done in a one pot.

So I just want to check, are we certain PMK gly to PMK involves the use of an acid correct? I didn't find much on that but I also didn't look hard either.

It sounds from my reading PMK glycidate is nothing too new (although it's popularity may be..) but I do believe this one pot amination is.

And I think your right Biscuit, I believe only people who use PMK gly will use a platinum hydrogenation as platinum catalyst isn't the cheapest thing in the world and sodium borohydride seems overall an easier/cheaper/more-well-known method to use.

Btw Biscuit I've been reading Hive posts from like 99 by you talking about the same thing lol you been at this for awhile..

@no-Id - Nope but we're farther along than anyone has ever been. We've got more valuable information in this one thread regarding mdma variation than anywhere else by far.

I'd say we have a far better understanding of mdma variation but still can't pinpoint one particular problem, and we may never be able to either with such a complex issue.

-GC

Last edited:
G_Chem: I agree with everything you say, particularly your concluding sentiments. Haha, yes the Hive, I found that site before I found Bluelight, just as I found university chemistry before I found what made chemistry really interesting ;)

If anyone can access scientific journal articles, the following article looks particularly interesting and relevant:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24314521

Forensic Sci Int. 2013 Dec 10;233(1-3):201-11. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2013.09.009. Epub 2013 Sep 14.

Impact of reaction parameters on the chemical profile of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine synthesized via reductive amination: target analysis based on GC-qMS compared to non-targeted analysis based on GC?GC-TOF-MS.

Sch?ffer M1, Dieckmann S, P?tz M, Kohles T, Pyell U, Zimmermann R.

Author information

Abstract

The most common clandestine manufacturing procedure for the ecstasy derivative 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), is the reductive amination of piperonylmethylketone (PMK) via platinum(IV) oxide/hydrogen. Deviations of the reaction conditions during the synthesis may result in different chemical profiles of the products. The chemical analysis of these profiles is an important objective for forensic drug intelligence. In this work we studied the impact of a systematic variation of the hydrogenation time, the reaction temperature and the precursor batch on the resulting organic chemical profiles of the MDMA bases and MDMA hydrochlorides. Target analysis was based on a gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC-MS) method which was harmonized during the European project CHAMP.(2) In addition, samples were analyzed by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry (GC?GC-TOFMS) and subjected to non-targeted data analysis for a comprehensive analysis of the complete profiles. The reaction temperature, followed by the used precursor batch, revealed the highest impact on the chemical profile. The effect on individual impurity compounds is discussed in detail. With respect to the interpretation of the data, the profiles were compared to the profiles of MDMA samples obtained by reductive amination using sodium borohydride ("cold method") and aluminium/mercury amalgam as alternative reducing agents. Non-targeted analysis revealed that the discrimination according to the synthetic route and the batch of precursor used for the synthesis strongly depends on the selected target compounds.

^^Just out of my own curiosity, and you've likely mentioned this before but, when was the first time you dosed mdma?

The abstract for that study does look interesting, soon as I have some reliable internet again I'll try to look it up.

One thing that's really been bothering me since this last analysis is that methylmercury.. With the mass reports of LTC with symptoms that closely resemble mercury poisoning it's hard not to worry.

I remember indigo bringing up the idea that maybe mercury was to blame but I brushed it off as only a rarity, but now I'm not so sure.

Of course we should wait to see if anymore pops up but at the same time if there's a way to stop any further problems I'd like to do it sooner over later. I think it may be wise to preach ways of detoxifying heavy metals (aka mercury) from the bodies of both people with and without LTC. I don't know enough about the process but selenium and zinc are important among others (coincidentally both which I take after a roll..)

Idk what do you guys think? On one hand it might benefit those suffering if indeed I am right, on the other hand if this is simply an anxiety related disorder it could do more harm than good. Hard to know.. I believe LTC is induced by many different ways, some are probably purely anxiety based whereas others are not.

-GC

^ July 1999 and every year* since.

(* i.e. many, many, many times in any given year, albeit slowing down since the glory days on 2001 to 2008. )

Yeah, G_Chem, unfortunately a lot of the LTC posts sound like mercury poisoning. Some moreso than others, but still. The similarities can be a bit disturbing. I am pretty plugged in to the alt health scene, and have read a decent amount about mercury poisoning. The problem is that even the alt health community cannot agree on how to best chelate/detox/heal from mercury poisoning. There are a lot of different methods, and each method has a loyal following that thinks that all the other methods are wrong. Even doctors disagree about how to best deal with mercury poisoning. So, sending an anxious person down that shitty rabbit hole could be really disastrous.

All that said...if these people are dealing with mercury, then they need help. A hair test would be a good place to start just to check mercury levels. If there is a problem, then they could go to a doctor to try to get it dealt with. One "do it yourself" approach is called the Any Cutler protocol, and the people who use that protocol are active online and in social media and they are willing to offer help if asked.

But, it is seriously a confusing rabbit hole. I say that as someone who has spent at least ten years reading about this shit and trying to figure it out.

In other news...I should be moving forward with trying out some of that dark web product within the next 1-2 weeks, or possibly testing an IPA purified version of the stuff I have had access to (the sleepy stuff). Not sure which yet. What starting dosage would be best for someone with my profile of use (18 years)? I would like to select a starting dose that gets the job done and definitively begins the experience, as opposed to just dancing around the issue and waiting for a re-dose.

^^^Lol what? 140mg of good mdma is lovely though :)

@Indigo- From your readings what is your opinion on the best method or is it too confusing to come to any conclusion? I personally know little but would like to know more. Any other info you could share would be beneficial.

It seems mercury does effect serotonin levels so this could be the problem. I also wonder if this is being added intentionally? Makes ya wonder sometimes..

-GC

Last edited:
G-Chem, honestly, I don't feel like I know enough to comment definitively on the mercury poisoning. The Andy Cutler Protocol has come up for me from several different angles/people. It seems well researched. Unlike some suggestions, there is a very clear step by step guide. No question about how to do it or how much of a supplement to take. These people know a lot about it, and they have put together very concise guides: https://www.facebook.com/groups/acfanatics/ One issue, however, is that you are not supposed to chelate at all if you have metal fillings, as the mercury in the fillings can leach and cause problems.

I know someone else who was prescribed different chelation drugs by a doctor, and he had such a hard time with reactions to those drugs that he could not continue to take them. From what I understand, some of the commonly prescribed supplements such as chlorophyll can do more harm than good due to the fact that they "stir up" the mercury without providing a path for elimination.

MELISA testing is pretty well respected by medical professionals. http://www.melisa.org

Hair testing is something I have read a lot about, but have not personally done. I actually plan to do this soon, and will let you know what it says.

MELISA and hair testing are to determine if you are dealing with mercury poisoning (testing). The Andy Cutler Protocol is for removing the mercury from your system. So, both testing and detox.

Check out some of the warnings posted regarding recently tested ecstasty:
https://dancesafe.org

I noticed one of those Trump pills:
An orange Donald Trump tablet with was submitted from Chicago, IL. This sample was sold as Ecstasy/MDMA, but did not test as such. It was found to contain 5 (active) parts Methylsulfonylmethane (an organic sulfur-containing compound that is often take as a joint health supplement), 2 (active) parts caffeine, and 1 (active) part methamphetamine. The tablet was printed with Donald Trump’s face on one side, and a score line, the word “Trump” with stars above it, and the letters “NL” on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.