• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

• Heroin

Votes: 100 13.5%
  • Methadone

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Oxymorphone

Votes: 27 3.6%
  • Tramadol

Votes: 22 3.0%
  • Benzodiazepines

Votes: 292 39.3%
  • GHB/GBL

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • Meth/Amphetamines

Votes: 39 5.2%
  • Cocaine/Crack

Votes: 13 1.7%
  • Ketamine

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • SSRI/SNRI/MAOI/TCA/TeCA antidepressants

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • Other Opiates/Opioids

Votes: 65 8.7%

• Total voters
Methadone is the most intense and longest to detox off of... I'm on day one and terrified of the absolute hell I'm about to go through.... again..... ughhh.

MamaQuittinDones,

I just wanted to let you know you have support here. I usually am a reader and not a poster but seeing as your staying your second day kicking the methadone, I wanted to congratulate you on taking the first step.... I have never taken methadone but I was on suboxone for nearly 3 and a half years. I'm currently 8 and almost 9 days clean. It is a living Hell on earth but there is an end and a might at the end of the tunnel.... I hope you tapered way way way down before you took the jump because this will be the best thing you can do to reduce w/d symptoms. Let us know how today is going. Good luck and stick with it....it's so worth it!!!

In my experience, and I admit, I have never had the good fortune to try heroin so not sure about that, but by far the worst comedowns I've had have been from MDMA. I'm not sure whether it's the serotonin or what, but everytime I take it, the "good" feeling is intense for about 2 hours and then it's 8 hours of hell of aching all over, being tired and sick. A tied second is amphetamine. After a 20 hour binge (redosing about every 2-4 hours), I had some horrible hallucinations. I have never been scared of hallucinations but this was different. It was like all of my childhood fears had come back. The fear of the dark, statues etc. I also don't cope well with lack of sleep. This was a terrifying experience. So looks like it's coke and 3-FPM from here on in!

Methadone, especially if you take it with benzodiazepine.
Withdrawal for one month, at least.

Last edited:
For sure benzos. I suffered a Grand-Mal-seizure when I had my first withdrawal - I didn't even realise I was already physically addicted, since I had this seizure and woke up in Hospital afterwards... It's extreme.

Be careful, Folks.

JoEhJoEh

Didn't this affect your behaviour, even after the withdrawal JoEhJoEh?

@Erikmen

Of course it did affect my behaviour! I did not take any benzodiazepines since that seizure and the stay in hospital :) Besides, no other hard drugs like cocaine or amphetamines - I used these two substances from time to time before, but: no longer.

I'm still smoking good weed, but that's it. And, even if it sounds weird, I'm grateful for still being here.

JoEhJoEh

When I quit I'd feel completely lost, unable to express myself as I was used to. It seems as if I was fearful and people did not understand what is going on.

Last edited:
Hm, no... I would not say I was completely lost... It took me nearly two weeks to recover from the seizure physically and this was so stressful - I did not think of any drug during that time, honestly. So for reducing withdrawal symptoms, the physical pain (because of falling down and cramping like hell) helped me not to think of a withdrawal too much ;)

Afterwards they gave me Frisium (Clobazam), 5 mg for two weeks, 2,5 mg for the following two weeks - since that nothing anymore, and it feels great.

All the best!

JoEhJoEh

I've experienced many withdrawals in my life and have to say that benzo withdrawal was hands down the worst. The withdrawal was literally bad enough to keep me from ever taking them again, and I registered with the medic alert database that I am allergic to them to ensure I never get one in case of an accident. I been through several inpatient and outpatient programs, and frequently relapsed on alcohol and other stuff but would literally rather be set on fire than mess with benzos again. I swear benzos rendered me stupid and with anxiety levels I didn't think were possible in life. I've been off benzos for six years and I'm still not back to baseline.

Congrats for quitting benzos and have the courage to inform the hospitals.
I have also quit but I have never been myself again, not like I've use to.
I had used benzos since my family first found out I was doing drugs. And especially when I quit opiates.

I've spent more time using benzos in my life than not using. I wonder if I'm ever going to be that person who would easily connect with everyone. I was born anxious so that's not the problem, anxiety is not the problem, not the worst.
This is more related to how serious I've turned to. It's uncomfortable (to say the least) to wonder if you are like that or not. I accepted not doing opiates anymore and have come to terms with that.
But with benzos it's was never dangerous. It's a very difficult call I must confess. I don't miss it I just miss being myself. The person I was for 25 years.

Last edited:
Congrats for quitting benzos and have the courage to inform the hospitals.
I have also quit but I have never been myself again, not like I've use to.
I had used benzos since my family first found out I was doing drugs. And especially when I quit opiates.

I've spent more time using benzos in my life than not using. I wonder if I'm ever going to be that person who would easily connect with everyone. I was born anxious so that's not the problem, anxiety is not the problem, not the worst.
This is more related to how serious I've turned to. It's uncomfortable (to say the least) to wonder if you are like that or not. I accepted not doing opiates anymore and have come to terms with that.
But with benzos it's was never dangerous. It's a very difficult call I must confess. I don't miss it I just miss being myself. The person I was for 25 years.

I was a daily Xanax taker for 10 years. It was scripted to me, with the instruction to take as needed, which I seemed to need to take more and more. I took my last benzo 14 feb 2010, and have been off them for 6 years. I have recovery tremendously from where I was, but am still not back to normal. Given the pace of healing, as long as there isn't a plateau or anything, I am guessing it's possible for me to be back to normal in 6 more years. I have been trying to minimize medications that I take to further facilitate that endeavor, and now only take Indural as needed which isn't frequent, and unfortunately trazodone as I recently did a taper and stopped all together for 1.5 months, but it felt like I was going through benzo PAWS again so I'm taking 25mg again. I'm going to try a super slow taper soon, I just can't afford to be a suicidal anxious mess 24/7 so I have to find a way to get off it without introducing other substances to mitigate the strange PAWS that it induces in me. The acute withdrawal wasn't bad at all ironically. I digress.

How long have you been off benzos? I found everything got worse for the first year and a half, and then it started to get better. Around the two and a half year mark recovery seemed to speed up and seemed to level to a consistent rate at around the three year mark.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm off opiates and benzos for 1 year, 1 month and 16 days.

Give it time - you will soon feel much much better! I found that clean eating and walking an hour a night really sped up recovery. Clean eating was really hard to implement at first, but once you feel the benefits something switches in your brain and you really enjoy it lol. This is going to sound silly, but I got a Luminosity account and did their games religiously and I think that improved my over all cognitive recovery, especially memory. When I started I was 90% nonfunctional- essentially I could shower and use the toilet by myself. My parents had to take care of me (not very proud of that). Within 2 and a half years I could take care of myself, and shortly after that I was able to go back to work. Unfortunately, as a software developer I struggled to write code, but it's been coming back to me. I think I have to take courses to get back to where I was at, but I'm just grateful to be a functioning contributing member of society again lol.

Benzos hit hard but I think it is definately possible to get close to baseline again. I see improvements everyday, even on bad days I remind myself where I started from and feel hopeful. It does take time to see/recognize the improvements :)

Whether it be psychological or physical, What is the hardest drug you've ever tried to stop doing? Could be pain medications, could be DXM or anything.

I would just like to hear some stories, experiences or opinions :)

Benzos for sure, im not the first one to mention them here either so a lot of people know the problem, first of all the withdraw itself if benzo abuse was regular enough, can very easily kill you. But the more common side effects I and probably most others experience, extreme headache, neasea, insomnia, profuse sweating, lots of muslce twitching, spasuming, and cramping, among a lot more. Truly hell on earth

Yes, the withdrawals is not easy this is for sure, however, for me this is not the main reason (by far) why benzo is so difficult to come off of. You spend years and years of your life knowing how to deal with fear, anxiety, joy, etc. You name every and each emotional issue you have you learn to handle and you do that using benzos so as bonus you end up being even more spontaneous and knowing that even loss can be handled if you are properly medicated. And that is the problem for me. The absence of these shields may be very challenging after quitting.

I'm sober and it took months for me to adapt, still am adapting to the lack of opiates. But benzos are something else. Like I said - I don't miss them. I miss myself.

Benzo's are toxic in long term imo. Once you are tolerant, they simply become normal. Its like you are not on a drug. They have such deep effects on emotion on learning and you only realise that once your off them. I was on them for about 4 years solid but played with them prior. Its four years that are a black hole. I hate that I won't get it back. So I vow to try and be conscious as much as I can. Its hard, I've had relapses but frankly, benzos terrify me. Utterly.

Life is always better without those life destroying little helpers. Challenging, overwhelming, confronting but easier than waking up one day wondering how you slept thru half a decade. Life, damn you, does not sleep. But I've learned that fear and uncertainty are manageable. Benzo w/d really isn't. For me, anything is better than that.

<3

even if you've never personally experienced benzo withdrawal, it's common knowledge that they will always carry the stigma of having the worst withdrawal due to the simple fact that you can literally DIE from your withdrawal.

I see my DOC is not on the list but thered
are plenty of threads about how to get addicted to or die from fentanyl

]I've detoxed from opiates, benzos, meth, alcohol, pot, and just anhthing and everything and for me the worst was benzos. Have been tapering for over 2 years this time and not looking forward to getting to the really low doses again ?. The other times I have done 14 day hospital detox from high doses (400mg diazepam or the equivalent of xanax/lorazepam/temazepam and that was ridiculous after 2 weeks it for so bad I ended up jumping back on each time. Detoxed from opitses and alcohol and whatever else I could get my hands on at the same time and benzo effects were intolerable.

Not looking forward to coming off the 32mg SUBOXONE, , that scares me ALOT....I can halve my dose for about 4 days with no problem but then have to go back up