• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What is the most common use of benzodiazepines?

They taper you with Chlordiazapoxide (in hospital) here. They used to treat you out of hospital with diazepam but too many people were just taking the diazepam on top of what they could afford to buy so they've completely stopped that now.

Half life and duration of action are completely different things

Valium has a T1/2 and it wears off in a few hours. Tapering with Valium and Tranxene is idiotic

Its for anxiety and panic attacks.

Be honest with your Dr., and for your needs, he will give you what you need as long as your honest with him and its for legitmiate medical purpose.

Tell that doctor you have no friends and never leave your house except to come see him you could always throw in there you had a panic attack and your friend gave you a 2mg xanax and it really helped

Half life and duration of action are completely different things

Valium has a T1/2 and it wears off in a few hours. Tapering with Valium and Tranxene is idiotic

The half-life of valium is 30-40 hours and it is one of the longest acting benzos which makes it the drug of choice for weaning people off other benzos and for getting through withdrawlas from other drugs, principally alcohol.

As this medical guide says:

"For persons who take a short-acting benzodiazepine—eg, alprazolam or lorazepam—convert the dosage into an equivalent dosage of a long-acting benzodiazepine—eg, diazepam. Metabolized slowly, with a long half-life, diazepam allows a consistent, slow decline in concentration while tapering the dosage. This helps avoid severe withdrawal."

^ That is BULLSHIT

Valium last 1.5-6 hours if I remember correctly, nordazepam(Tranxene) last slightly longer, though it still requires tid or qid dosing

Tell me if a drug last so long why do they give it 4x a day? Clonazepam is a long acting Benzodiazepine, and they are just now starting to experiment with tapering patients with it, because it can be given twice a day, and it's easier for patients on high potency Benzodiazepines to taper with it (it is well known in the medical field that patients addicted to Klonopin do not respond well to Valium

Valium is stored in fat along with its metabolite(primary) They VERY slowly release and are eliminated through the liver and renal systems

Even Lorazepam (Ativan) last longer than Valium because it's low lipid solubility allows it to linger in the Blood

Solubility determines duration of action, not T1/2. There are plenty of articles backing this up, actually even the Wikipedia page gives a good explanation for how Ativan lady longer than Valium. Valium should only be used in alcoholics, because ethanol wears off so fast and Valium has similar effects, so 3-4x a day gradually reduced works

Believe me, I ended up in rehab once, they tried Tranxene but I had a Tonic Clonic seizure. So they gave me Ativan IM when I came to and doubled my dose of Tranxene, and made it QID. When they tried a dose reduction a couple days later they had to give me extra because I displayed (epilepsy type symptoms) there words. Tranxene is horrible. In fairness I was coming off of Klonopin and Clonazolam, however they completely mishandled my case, I didn't eat a bite while I was there and only drink Gatorade and Coca - Cola. It was horrible I signed myself out after the minimum time. And I tell you those Tranxene wear off in 4-6 hours. After that your screwed

The Ashton Protocol is based on false assumptions and only works because it's patients only choice, and when done correctly very high doses of Valium are used.

Please do not say a fast acting drug that rapidly wears off magically protects you. It doesn't

Read for your self, Hypnotic triazolam has the shortest duration and Klonopin the longest in some lists, though there are longer acting Benzodiazepines which I cannot remember

The half-life of valium is 30-40 hours and it is one of the longest acting benzos which makes it the drug of choice for weaning people off other benzos and for getting through withdrawlas from other drugs, principally alcohol.

As this medical guide says:

"For persons who take a short-acting benzodiazepine—eg, alprazolam or lorazepam—convert the dosage into an equivalent dosage of a long-acting benzodiazepine—eg, diazepam. Metabolized slowly, with a long half-life, diazepam allows a consistent, slow decline in concentration while tapering the dosage. This helps avoid severe withdrawal."

Tell him it's constant and 15 is sparingly since some people get 90(I

If he says that they'll put him on a maintainance antidepressants that he need to take daily

Benzos are for "on the spot anxiety"

This is a harm reduction forum, not ways to con your doctor out of drugs, and ask others to tell you how

Benzos are FUCKING ADDICTIVE I've came out the other side and was where you was a few years trying to sceame up ways and means on how to get more pills off my doctor, in the end she cut me off as she seen me for what I was, basically a drug seeker but I had anxiety and benzos was that would help because like you I didn't try anything else I didn't give anything a chance!

Doctors say pills are not the answer and sad to say they're right, you need coping mechanisms for the anxiety and also you personality need to sort your bipolor out, or what ever mental condition you are adamant you won't take meds for

After a heavy addiction because I bought online I can see how bad they are, yes I love them, I might treat myself to some on occasion, but stop trying to get more or you'll get your ass bit, either by a habit or your doctor think you're just a drug seeker and stop giving you any

Be happy with how many you had, it's more than they gave me and as it's 2 mg pills, just cut them into 4 then you'll have 20 x 0.5mg k-pins lol

See if your doctor had gave you 20 lower dose ones you'd of been really happy as you of had 20 eh lol

Benzodiazepines are most commonly prescribed for treatment of anxiety and panic attacks. They are also prescribed for treatment of epilepsy. The ones with longer duration, such as Temazepam, are less commonly prescribed for sleep.

If he says that they'll put him on a maintainance antidepressants that he need to take daily

Benzos are for "on the spot anxiety"

This is a harm reduction forum, not ways to con your doctor out of drugs, and ask others to tell you how

Benzos are FUCKING ADDICTIVE I've came out the other side and was where you was a few years trying to sceame up ways and means on how to get more pills off my doctor, in the end she cut me off as she seen me for what I was, basically a drug seeker but I had anxiety and benzos was that would help because like you I didn't try anything else I didn't give anything a chance!

Doctors say pills are not the answer and sad to say they're right, you need coping mechanisms for the anxiety and also you personality need to sort your bipolor out, or what ever mental condition you are adamant you won't take meds for

After a heavy addiction because I bought online I can see how bad they are, yes I love them, I might treat myself to some on occasion, but stop trying to get more or you'll get your ass bit, either by a habit or your doctor think you're just a drug seeker and stop giving you any

Be happy with how many you had, it's more than they gave me and as it's 2 mg pills, just cut them into 4 then you'll have 20 x 0.5mg k-pins lol

See if your doctor had gave you 20 lower dose ones you'd of been really happy as you of had 20 eh lol

Are your talking to me? I have tried every drug known to man and none of them helped except Benzodiazepines; antidepressants gave me Serotonin Syndrome, and no I'm not Bipolar I just have extreme anxiety, panic disorder, Irrectrable OCD, and I have high functioning Autism (aspergers was the original diagnosis over a decade ago)

If his doctor wouldn't give him 10-15 mild Benzodiazepines just occasionally, he is a bad MD

Of course I don't know the full situation, I'm just saying unless he hears voices an occasional Benzodiazepine is safe and effective

And your right, we don't tell people how to con Dr's, that was just a common sense suggestion.

I am prescribed 100 Klonopin 2mg a month, and 300mg Lyrica a day. Do you have a problem with that? I also take Seroquel 50-100mg as needed and risperdone for my autistic episodes.

I agree Benzodiazepines should be given with care , however they ARE the answer for some people...

Oh yeah get 200mg a day of Vistiril (Hydroxyzine Pamoate)

To take as needed for my constant nausea, and I have scioliosis and arthritis that need to be treated rather than self medicating

If your weren't talking to me I apologize, however you quoted me so thought I'd tell my story

Good Luck to everyone to find the right Dr

I also have Moderate Epilepsy and the other drugs for it are outrageously expensive and have terrible side effects. So I just take my Klonopin and Lyrica. Yes I run out early that is because clonazolam screwed my tolerance and I need a very high dose to function

Temazepam is an intermediate acting Benzodiazepine. My mother used to get 60mg a night though switched to 2mg xanax a niht...

Of course I don't know the full situation, I'm just saying unless he hears voices an occasional Benzodiazepine is safe and effective

Yes safe for occasional use, you told him to tell his doctor its "constant"

I am prescribed 100 Klonopin 2mg a month, and 300mg Lyrica a day. Do you have a problem with that?

Nope your story is different, this bloke won't try meds off his doctor, wants an easy fix and won't even take the medication for his bipolar which in turn would help his anxiety in the long run

Thing is you will have the problem when the doctor cuts you off like they have been doing for years, they're clamping down and been told to slowly get as many people as possible off certain medications as it makes the states drug use/pill epidemic look bad

They're cutting people off all the time, you've only got to read story's on drug forums, just the other day someone was asking for advice because his doctor was stopping his benzos and seroquel in one month, completely stopping it no taper, incase he finds a new therapist

To take as needed for my constant nausea, and I have scioliosis and arthritis

This may be in your favour considering the pregabalin, but to save money some people are swapped for gabapentin which isn't as good by far, but doctors think it's the same thing, IT'S NOT, pregabalin is far superior

If your weren't talking to me I apologize, however you quoted me so thought I'd tell my story

That's okay, it's easy to be confused sometimes with the quotes

Can't believe how many you get a month 100 x 2 lol that's mad, how long have you been on so many?

^ That is BULLSHIT

My, aren't you the shouty one. Your story is interesting, in a tragic kind of way, but you are just one small personal anecdote against long established medical practice on benzo tapering. Doesn't mean established medical practice is correct, because we all know how often its wrong. But it is what it is.

Here are the Australia Government's Health Department's guidelines for tapering of benzos. Key statement for this discussion is:

"Stabilise patients taking high-dose benzodiazepines on diazepam prior to dose reduction. In patients taking high-dose and/or short half-life benzodiazepines, guidelines recommend stabilisation on an equivalent dose of diazepam (a long half-life benzodiazepine) before starting dose reduction."

Years. My body betrayed me 7 years ago. I was given Klonopin and it was a miracle. The shaking stopped. The screaming in my head, and I was able to eat and breath normally through my nose instead of hyperventilating

This was after trying multiple drugs for my body 's constant Fight or Flight. The Tonic Clonic seizure is what gave me clonazepam. I had tried Ativan and it calmed me down a little however my heart rate stayed over 100 and the doctors said they didn't know what was going on. I lost over 40lbs in a matter of months ', because I couldn't eat, nauseous and unable to swallow

Klonopin changed all that. It took me awhile to find a Dr. when I did I was honest about taking high doses, so he started me on 60 2mg, which wasn't enough so gave me 90 and eventually 100 2mg Klonopin; he won l't cut me off for no reason, he cares and listens to everything I say: he is a great Medical Doctor

Anyway that's how I got 100 my goal is 120 because I take 4 a day basically. That, if it happens would take awhile.

Though I've been on Klonopin about 7 years and started at 4mg per day except the very first script which I was 3mg, then they upped it when they saw the improvement in my mental and physical state

The 45 pounds Inlost I have gained over 30 back since I started going to my Doctor and I eat bathe and Smoke again
(The smoking is bad though I enjoy it. Basic Red Filter Kings and Nat Sherman Original and Natural American Spirit Hrey pack:)

So
Yeah, it took a few years to get to 100 tablets I am grateful though

My, aren't you the shouty one. Your story is interesting, in a tragic kind of way, but you are just one small personal anecdote against long established medical practice on benzo tapering. Doesn't mean established medical practice is correct, because we all know how often its wrong. But it is what it is.

Here are the Australia Government's Health Department's guidelines for tapering of benzos. Key statement for this discussion is:

"Stabilise patients taking high-dose benzodiazepines on diazepam prior to dose reduction. In patients taking high-dose and/or short half-life benzodiazepines, guidelines recommend stabilisation on an equivalent dose of diazepam (a long half-life benzodiazepine) before starting dose reduction."

That is just plain wrong.

It's long half life is useless l. Do some research please I don't feel like posting it although you need something besides fucked up medical government guidelines

Have you ever taken Valium? The idea that it is long lasting is a fucking joke, It is too lipid soluble

Ativan is longer lasting and the choice for seizures now partly because of that

Yeah, it took a few years to get to 100 tablets I am grateful though

And over a few years they'll reduce you, you won't see it coming, it might be a new doctor, yours might resign or retire then the new one will be anti benzos, just be aware don't get to greedy

I've read about/seen it happen too many times, why do you think the black market makes so much money, and RC benzos are so popular

People like me get cut off and buy online that's why

Diazepam is administered orally, rectally, and parenterally. Anticonvulsant, skeletal muscle relaxant, and anxiolytic effects are usually evident after the first dose. The duration for some clinical effects (e.g., sedation, anticonvulsant activity) is much shorter than would be expected considering the very long half-life for both diazepam and its metabolite, desmethyldiazepam.

Diazepam is widely distributed, with CSF levels similar to plasma levels. This benzodiazepine crosses the placenta and distributes into breast milk. The disparity between elimination half-life and duration of action for some conditions may be partially explained by rapid shifts in distribution of diazepam out of the CNS. Although diazepam is 99% protein-bound, interactions based on protein binding are not clinically significant. Metabolism of diazepam is primarily hepatic and involves demethylation (involving primarily CYP2C19 and CYP3A4) and 3-hydroxylation (involving primarily CYP3A4). Diazepam is extensively metabolized to one major active metabolite desmethyldiazepam and two minor active metabolites temazepam (3-hydroxydiazepam) and oxazepam (3-hydroxy-N-diazepam), with half-lives of 30—100 hours, 9.5—12 hours, and 5—15 hours, respectively. At therapeutic doses, desmethyldiazepam is found in plasma at concentrations equivalent to those of diazepam. Oxazepam and temazepam plasma concentrations are usually undetectable. The half-life of diazepam is 30—60 hours. These metabolites are subsequently glucuronidated and excreted in the urine.

My autism would make justifying a cut off for a drug that made me gain 30lbs and function very difficult. Not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE, just unlikely

And I would just go back to clonazolam or Flubromazolam, whichever is available, preferably Clonazolam

Sorry about your situation I just