• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants What is a stimulant overdose like?

You’re spot on. 33 and 2 strokes so far certainly not the norm for my age group but given my years of stimulant abuse it’s not necessarily hard see how I wound up in this predicament.
Thanks for telling us so younger readers and lurkers can know the realness of speed.

When I first started using, maybe a month or two in (was only smoking initially), I wanted to try a different roa so I decided on a booty bump. I don't remember how much I put in. Anyway, I do it and I'm fine. Then it kicks in, vision is vibrating, my heart feels like it will explode, I'm super hot yet Ice cold, feeling of impending doom, suuuuper weak, and then I lost consciousness. I woke up probably 1 minute later and was just incredibly high. However, I felt the after effects of that for about a week.

, I'm super hot yet Ice cold,

This is something I just noticed after I bought one of those digital thermometers. I could feel like I was burning up on meth and be pouring sweat but my temperature remained quite steady at 36.5-37.5 C. I’d like to know more about the how/why of this. Especially since neurotoxicity is supposed to partly related to overheating.

This is something I just noticed after I bought one of those digital thermometers. I could feel like I was burning up on meth and be pouring sweat but my temperature remained quite steady at 36.5-37.5 C. I’d like to know more about the how/why of this. Especially since neurotoxicity is supposed to partly related to overheating.
I thought the neurotoxicity was seretonin related? Which in itself is related to regulation in body temperature since seretonin syndrome can result in extreme fevers

I thought the neurotoxicity was seretonin related? Which in itself is related to regulation in body temperature since seretonin syndrome can result in extreme fevers
It is multifaceted. It is also related to inflammation (which is partly related to temperature). I don’t claim to know the details except that it has multiple independent and inter-related factors (including serotonin as you mention).

With the od I was feeling like I was burning up yet I also was drenched in sweat and got the chills. It was awful.

But, with what you're saying I've noticed that too as well since I'd feel like I was burning up so I'd take my temp for fun and it'd be completely normal. But I'm thinking it could be homeostasis at work with stabilizing your body temp. So, you may feel really hot and sweaty but your overall body temp is staying right where it needs to be.

However more recently, I haven't been having any noticeable changes in my body temp except for one time (I used to overamp a lot and would do it for fun but for like over a year I wasn't able to) I dosed laaaarge to try to overamp and I didn't have any psychological/mental effects besides getting really cold. It was extremely disappointing but concerning as to why my body temp felt like that.

It is multifaceted. It is also related to inflammation (which is partly related to temperature). I don’t claim to know the details except that it has multiple independent and inter-related factors (including serotonin as you mention).
I have forgotten more than I care to admit but yes I believe you’re right. There are definitely several things at play there.

With the od I was feeling like I was burning up yet I also was drenched in sweat and got the chills. It was awful.

But, with what you're saying I've noticed that too as well since I'd feel like I was burning up so I'd take my temp for fun and it'd be completely normal. But I'm thinking it could be homeostasis at work with stabilizing your body temp. So, you may feel really hot and sweaty but your overall body temp is staying right where it needs to be.

However more recently, I haven't been having any noticeable changes in my body temp except for one time (I used to overamp a lot and would do it for fun but for like over a year I wasn't able to) I dosed laaaarge to try to overamp and I didn't have any psychological/mental effects besides getting really cold. It was extremely disappointing but concerning as to why my body temp felt like that.

That’s a bit the same for me. I physically overamp well before there are any psychological signs of a problem apart from maybe some confusion.

That’s a bit the same for me. I physically overamp well before there are any psychological signs of a problem apart from maybe some confusion.
Yeah. It was just odd since in the past when I overamped (acute) it was a completely immersive experience, for lack of a better word. I really grew to enjoy it and seeked it out. Got to become really good at mindfulness which allowed me to stay relatively calm and enjoy it. Instead of getting anxious or what not. However when it's over a long duration like just redosing, it creeps in. Like initially, my mind feels straight and maybe physically I ain't feeling the best.

Yeah. It was just odd since in the past when I overamped (acute) it was a completely immersive experience, for lack of a better word. I really grew to enjoy it and seeked it out. Got to become really good at mindfulness which allowed me to stay relatively calm and enjoy it. Instead of getting anxious or what not. However when it's over a long duration like just redosing, it creeps in. Like initially, my mind feels straight and maybe physically I ain't feeling the best.
Same. I also use Mindfullness constantly in managing both my meth high and any negative comedown feelings. Which is really kind of ironic because I was taught Mindfulness in rehab for cocaine addiction. I’m reasonably confident I can pull of interactions with people even when totally twacked from smoking. The only thing I worry about is my eyes moving in 100 different directions at once trying to soak up stimulation.

When I used to inject it was a little bit different and I’d need 15-20 minutes to properly absorb the shot and compose myself before trying to pass for normal. But in this 3 hour video conference the other night I twice muted my video and got up and pulled a huge hit from the bowl. Although I was careful to do it out of potential camera shot as I was a bit unreasonably paranoid my computer MIGHT be still filming me somehow even though I’d muted video.

Y
Same. I also use Mindfullness constantly in managing both my meth high and any negative comedown feelings. Which is really kind of ironic because I was taught Mindfulness in rehab for cocaine addiction. I’m reasonably confident I can pull of interactions with people even when totally twacked from smoking. The only thing I worry about is my eyes moving in 100 different directions at once trying to soak up stimulation.

When I used to inject it was a little bit different and I’d need 15-20 minutes to properly absorb the shot and compose myself before trying to pass for normal. But in this 3 hour video conference the other night I twice muted my video and got up and pulled a huge hit from the bowl. Although I was careful to do it out of potential camera shot as I was a bit unreasonably paranoid my computer MIGHT be still filming me somehow even though I’d muted video.
Same here! Mindfulness has really helped me with meth in so many ways. I learned mindfulness back when I was in dbt and at the time I didn't really think much about it and completed the program. But when I started using, I found it to be a really useful tool.

Yeah, I gotta leave ample time between initial dose and whatever I have to do with shooting. I haven't slammed in a minute though so I wonder how it'd be now. I just have to be careful with my movements- differing, repetitive or these really weird overexaggerated movements. And being too damn wordy.

With paranoia and all that fun stuff lmao, thankfully (or not) I've been dealing with a psychotic disorder since I was a child so I've became pretty good at handling those thoughts and experiences. However, the less sleep I had the worse I become at handing them in general but especially when on meth. As well as stress. But, overall I just try to keep it all internal, like not mentioning, questioning or having it affect my actions/behaviors in any big, troubling way. I make sure I'm as low-key as can be. And I understand the whole camera thing, I'm the same way 😂

You're not as likely to die as if you overdosed on downers. However, it is possible if the OD was bad enough. Typically, you'd know it if you overdosed, because you'd be extremely anxious, panicky, extreme racing heart, etc.

Also, an overdose of stims can cause a psychotic episode, which is almost always temporary. Though, it's nearly always a horrible, paranoia filled experience. Though, getting a good sleep generally prevents this. Stim psychosis is usually brought on by sleep deprivation during a binge.

Last edited:
lots of vomit -
mixed coke and high dose of Vyvanse, couldnt stop reaching for hours.

This is from meth alone? Is it possible for meth to be cut with something dangerous that could be causing worse side effects than the actual wanted stimulant content of it?
Possible, unlikely I think, but possible.
A few months ago I shot 0.5 grams of a new product that I did not know the potency of.
That doesn’t sound like you, and bro, we gotta take a break our tolerances are gonna make us cross a line sometime before long.
From your point of view .. are you still having fun? if so then it's probably not an overdose .. if you're not having fun (e.g. anxiety .. other people refusing to listen to the voices in the sink .. that kind of shit) then you need to lay off and calm down. I've personally managed to smoke myself into a psychotic break on meth (about 1g in 1/2 hour). Like a total amateur I was doing the .. I'm not getting high and taking more thing when I was clearly fucking faced. I was an experienced stimulant user at that point so even if you go "pro" .. remember to watch out for stupid shit. Scales and benzos .. keep em to hand.
Great HR @kinkyjohn .
I think there's a stark difference between stimulant induced psychosis and acute stimulant overdose. Psychosis is generally the result of prolonged use combined with excessive dosing and sleep deprivation, whereas overdose is the negative effects from ending up with too much in your system, whether it be from a single large dose, or accumulated over a short period with smaller doses.
Definitely different.
I took way too much was the last time I dosed A-pvp. It was the brown crap that was super cheap around the time it got banned in the US. I ended up doing around a 700mg line.
Was it brown shards and shake, crank-like brown powder, or “peanut butter”?

The first time I OD’d on stims I was 23.

This was a week after I had just tried to cook some for the first time about a week before, so it might be a delayed response or something judge for yourself. My pressure cooker exploded and filled the house with thick green gas faster than you can say Methamphetamine with jawclench, I opened the Windows and cursed myself a moron, this giant house sized green cloud started drifting down my cul de sac. Fortunately it was 3AM when it happened and by the time it was light the cloud had settled to the ground and was barely visible. My neighbors all knew me as a friendly stoner boy with a good job and no one suspected it had been me cooking meth next morning, it just looked like some strange fog.

A week later I had been going pretty hard for a few days and stood up from a session. I felt fine until I got into my kitchen, were I feinted. I woke up on the ground about three hours later and felt fine and I was just worried.

My meth ODs since then are similar to the others and closely mirror @Atelier3. I never had my pisser parts seize up like that. I have had 3 of those, easy to ID because of the vomiting. I also suspect my initial use of meth was an overdose was using strange looking meth called ‘crocus’ and it caused insane visual hallucinations. My new meth powered self “willed” these away in an instant, never to return. (And they haven’t unless you count shadow people, but I don’t as they are only ever visible on the periphery. I haven’t seen them in more than decade, I am sure they are a feature of sleep deprivation not meth principally.)

The only thing I worry about is my eyes moving in 100 different directions at once trying to soak up stimulation.
This, and now I can’t hide my bruxism, even with a face mask on. Sigh.

@euphoricnightmares and here I thought I was the only one hip to the meth+mindfulness=tweakerevolved scene.
Now I read my novel ideas are old hat to you and @Atelier3. Silly me.

In all seriousness this should be being taught in rehabs by volunteer extweakers or the few of us willing to wear it on our sleeve. I trained myself these skills while inpatient myself, in my case for managing alcohol withdrawal. After a 15 year break from meth I picked up about. A year ago and was surprised how different lifestyle was with mindfullness techniques applied. Detox and rehab are a good place to practice and boring af without it. Nothing in my life has brought greater meth HR except total abstinence.

So what happened to me was evidence of serotonin syndrome. First, I had a hard time breathing, like you’re having a panic attack and there is a huge rock on your chest. Then, I got VERY pale, like white, even my lips were white. Then your heart rate goes through the roof, mine was like 200 or something, you’re shaky, then instead of being hot or flushed I was cold, like really really cold. I had to wear sweats and a jacket, so many blankets. I kept peeing ALOT too, without having that much liquid in me so I assume that’s a kidney thing? My eyes and pupils were shaking horizontally, fucking creepy. Then the grand mal siezure came...I fell over like a plank and seized, had to go to the ER and I only remember asking my ex if I was gonna die.
The only thing to reverse it was a large dose of benzodiazepines, which completely made me fine again. Scariest shit that’s ever happened to me. Serotonin Syndrome can kill you, as can potentially most OD’s, so if you have any of these symptoms get to the ER stat. If you have benzos to take I would suggest it but only if you’re confident that’s what is wrong with you bc I don’t want to give bad advice and possibly harm someone, I’m not a health professional. I’m only speaking in experience.