• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What happens when you die?

Love the ideas in this thread.

Personally, I take comfort in the Whole. For me, I find it hard to describe my belief for what happens beyond death. But the best way to describe it is that who we are as individual personalities will cease. But everyone and everything that lives is part of Life which I kind of view as a single organism. So each of us is like a leaf off the 'tree of life'. We die, but the tree lives on. The 'tree' will always contain who we were, so in that sense, we live on...Whatever the hell that means.

In a way, this explains things like deja-vu and spiritual visions etc. While we live, we are all 'plugged in' to this tree of life thingy, and so can experience some pretty weird shit under some circumstances. Especially with the use of mind altering substances of course ;)

Either way, I'm not scared of death, just the method of dying. Death, at worst, will be a very long and peaceful sleep. And that's a nice thought for a partial insomniac.

When we live we die and death not ends it... (jim morrison )

or just: life goes on - but without your stupid ego, because there are still much better things that life can make up of the things you are made of - evolution ftw :)

but as long as we are here, we might as well enjoy it... and stop asking for the sense of life and give our lives the sense we want it to have :)

good vibes

something that has interested me is cloning
we can produce the EXACT same person, yet they have a completely different soul!
i havent researched it but i find that intersting that an exact replica of brain/genetics yet completely different personalities. makes me believe a little more that your soul is seperate from your brain

I think energy in us (which could be called as soul) goes back to universe.

to all the people that think nothing happens after you die...

how do you explain ghosts and shit?

i love your use of words, op. you speak to my heart. =D

care to elaborate on the word "shit" a little?

I had a colleague comment that your entire life experience is merged with a collective consciousness that seeks to understand the complexities of human thoughts and interactions. This will lead to the creation of a more evolved and intelligent species.

....I responded that when you die, you start rotting.

You were born, lived your life and had a few significant people that you impacted, and now you are dead. Dead.

I believe you just stop existing. Sure, it's a horrible thing to think about; moving on and leaving all your loved ones behind. But everyone will experience it. Everyone before us, Everyone after us. I'm scared of leaving my loved ones here, and the life I live, but I'm not scared for what lies beyond. For one, there's no need to fret over the inevitable. Second, if we were to cease existing; like we were before we were born. It wouldn't be a terrible experience. Just try and think about before you were born; you can't. So my guess is that death and the afterlife will be a similar experience. Or lack there of? If that makes sense.

i love this. it just gives it sucj an easier understanding to how it will actually feel. i dont remember actually being born. so u wont actually remember dying. very simple to understand. love it :)

When I think of this question, I think of the difficulty in understanding identity. What is it? When is it? When I think about the fact that I didn't exist for eternity, prior to 1982... what time is it really? :\

And what was the probability of my Qualia (individual perspective of existence) coming to be? I did not exist... for eternity. So was it all just a matter of time, or does time even make sense in this context? I think all things come full circle and eternity is relative to perspective.

I liken Qualia to a relay race of infinite participants. I will hand off the baton when I die, and when I do this Qualia is done forever.

Something else will be. It will have identity, it will feel, it will move, it will live, it will die. Then it hands its baton.

Existence is really incredible.

Last edited:
maybe death is the best thing to happen to us and this is just the waiting room. or maybe we go to nothing...

"what's it matter, does it matter
if we're all matter when we're done?" --Andrew Bird

i don't care when/why/where/how i exist, i couldn't give a fuck if i ever find out, i just i enjoy it <3

Absolutely nothing happens except for the experience of dying and a change of form. People are under the false illusion that everything that is happening is happening to themselves when in reality it is just the universe experiencing itself. So anytime there is an eye in the universe that sees, thats you seeing. The confusion lies in the fact that u dont see every eyes vision all at the same time. That doesnt change the previous though.

That is why Buddha Eckharte Tolle, Lao Tzu, Allan Watts etc... say that when you achieve enlightenment you never die and you were never born. That is because you are and forever will be/have been now.

Absolutely nothing happens except for the experience of dying and a change of form. People are under the false illusion that everything that is happening is happening to themselves when in reality it is just the universe experiencing itself. So anytime there is an eye in the universe that sees, thats you seeing. The confusion lies in the fact that u dont see every eyes vision all at the same time. That doesnt change the previous though.

That is why Buddha Eckharte Tolle, Lao Tzu, Allan Watts etc... say that when you achieve enlightenment you never die and you were never born. That is because you are and forever will be/have been now.

Yes.

If you don't believe in reincarnation, I urge you to carefully review your notions regarding the concept of infinity.

Imagine time and space expanding without bound concentrically. This progression has no bound. All possibilities will be exhausted given an infinite amount of time; and when that occurs, there is still no bound to the progression of time, so the same possibilities begin to play out again. And again. Into infinity.

Existence is a russian-doll with endless layers.

more entertaining than erowid

A compendium of many, many near death experience 'trip reports' if you will can be found at the following address: www.nderf.org