• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What happens when you die?

What is the difference between gravity and love? I can show you all sorts of inanimate objects "choosing" to move toward one thing, or away from something else, much like a person might move toward some one they find attractive.

It is a false equivalency to suggest that emotional reactions represent the same thing as basic laws of physics. By the very definition, consciousness is a step removed from the basic interactions involving forces such as gravity. We deem consciousness as special because it represents a complex and dynamic steady state system that is capable of resisting the laws of physics (steady state, not in equilibrium). Inanimate objects do not posses the cellular machinery required for consciousness, so there certainly is no choice involved with the inanimate object.

You take a very scientific approach to this topic, so you of all people should agree that brain chemistry obeys the laws of physics and is merely a very complicated interaction of various physical laws. Thus, there is no qualitative difference between a person driving a car to work and an apple falling from a tree. Both actions were equally the product of natural forces and natural laws.

OK, I can agree with the notion that brains and apples must obey the same laws of physics.

Yet you want to conclude that consciousness is rooted in the brain. However, you are essentially assuming that natural laws -- forces that MOVE things in PATTERNS -- are divorced from any consciousness?

Yes I am assuming that. The basic forces are what interact with each other to produce consciousness. The forces are just that, forces. They are mathematically defined constructs that predict the behavior of particles and energy. That is far different from what consciousness is.

Let's step back and recognize that the brain is a democracy of neurons. Each neuron has a fragment of self-awareness and consciousness. These neurons are born, they serve a purpose, they communicate, they grow, they move, they adapt, they eventually die. You want to say the neurons are entirely divorced from consciousness? That they have absolutely ZERO consciousness?

Depends on how you want to define consciousness. These neurons certainly posses the capability to respond to stimuli in a coordinated and meaningful fashion, but I would not call it consciousness. Here is the first definition of consciousness I pulled off the web, "a. Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts".

A cell does not have these characteristics. Most people seem to recognize that consciousness is the product of advanced evolution and thus requires a certain degree of complexity that cannot be found in a single cell. Think of how complex the human brain is, or even the brains of lower animals. There are billions of neurons involved in the generation of consciousness.

A human is made up of organs. The organs were once each separate organisms who, ages ago, came together to work together to survive. They all assumed different roles to help themselves survive. Over time, they evolved to better and better fulfill those roles. One such organism eventually evolved into a liver. Another into a stomach. Another into skin. They surrendered individuality for interdependence until they stopped being separate organisms and they merged into one, substantially more complex, multi-organ, organism. This is one of the ways that evolution works.

Those organisms, that we now think of as organs in our bodies, were themselves evolved when various single celled organisms elected to band together, to work together for survival, and over eons developed specialization and interdependence until they were no longer single celled organisms working together, they became the first multi-celled organisms.

Your idea of how multicellular organisms evolved is a a little off. The advent of the primitive multicellular organisms probably involved incomplete cytokinesis or the colonial theory. Anyways, it was a long way down the line before a liver existed as a distinct organ of distinct tissue. The organs of our body evolved as one single organism, just a multicellular organism. Different organisms did not all of the sudden merge as developed organs that just happened to work well together. In my microbiology seminar it was stressed that organisms can only tolerate small changes in information (mutations resulting in evolution). Your idea of a "substantial" increase in complexity doesn't really fit since complexity was increased gradually.

Actual endosymbiosis has only occurred with the mitochondria and chloroplast to my knowledge. In each case there was distinct DNA left for each organelle, and it is the reason you can trace lineages back using mitochondrial DNA. This was not the mechanism for our organ development, otherwise the separate organs would have separate DNA.

You can look back at our evolutionary path and see how this process repeatedly unfolds, and then you can realize it is also unfolding in the same way in the present and future. Are people banding together to form more complex, interdependent entities? It has already happened. Every organization is a collection of interdependent people working toward a common purpose for mutual benefit. We have governmental bodies, corporations (or "artificial persons"), associations. We specialize for the good of the larger organization of which we are part. We have food growers, food transporters, communication facilitators, defenders, healers, etc. Just like your body has white blood cells (defenders), red blood cells (transporters), communication facilitators (neurons), etc.

Organ --> Organism --> Organization

And it is frankly incredibly conceited and short-sighted to believe this relationship does not extend further in both directions ala:

. . . --> ? --> ? --> ? --> cells --> organs --> organisms --> organizations --> ? --> ? --> ? --> ...

I am failing to see the logic here. What is it that you think goes after organizations? You have outlined the evolution of biological life, and I am not quite sure what you are suggesting this means. That something more complex exists? If so, what exactly?

Disputing this, and insisting this relationship ONLY exists in the limited range we can perceive with our senses, is akin to believing there is no life in the unverse except what is on planet Earth, simply because that is all we see. I cannot believe you, as a scientifically minded person, would embrace such a view.

No, they are two separate things. It is likely that aliens exist in some fashion because the same laws of physics applies to the same molecules in other regions of space. I don't even know exactly what you are suggesting, that somehow there is a larger consciousness after death? What makes you think this is true? There is no mechanism to explain it, since consciousness has only arisen from organic matter that is in a steady state. We don't observe that with anything else except the life on this planet.

Anyway, at what point in this evolutionary path do you suddenly think, "okay, NOW conscious suddenly came into being." I mean, can anything be concious if its building blocks are not conscious? Can anything NOT be conscious if its building blocks are conscious?

Would you agree McDonalds ACTS like a conscious entity? It grows, it shows self-interest. It maneuvers in a very complex manner. It is mortal, and it appears to have a sense of its own mortality. How is McDonalds not a conscious entity? No chemical components? Are not the people who run it made up of chemicals? How are McDonald's management's internal memos not equivalent to neurons sending messages around a body?

I think you need to pin down what you mean by conscious. According to my definition, it is relegated to biological organisms at this point in time. This consciousness can not be transferred past death because it is the product of the brain. What is interacting to create this "larger" consciousness you are talking about? I need to know what this thing is if I can make any claims against it. All I know so far is that it is a larger, more complex consciousness. I don't know what perpetuates the consciousness, what molecules are interacting to create it, where it resides, etc... It is very vague, and because it is so vague, it is almost meaningless.

I think you need to look into a philosophical approach called functionalism, as it may help you let go of some of your limited views on consciousness.

Anyway, if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, it is probably a duck. I think most scientists would approve of such reasoning. When humans engage in patterned movements (dancing, for example), we agree that is a product of consciousness. So why, then, do you dispute that any patterned movement is a display of consciousness? And is not everything in the universe a product of patterned movement? There is no such thing as an inanimate object. A rock is full of particles flying around in amazing patterns. So is a hammer.

Consciousness is much more than just patterned movement. In fact, quantam physics dictates that there are no patterns when you get down to the particles of the rock. It is all random. But even if there were patterns in the electron movement, it still would not represent anything close to consciousness.

Going back full circle, I expect you will try to distinguish between self-propelled movement and movement that is a response to outside forces. However, going back to SCIENTIFIC belief that humans are merely organic substances obeying physical laws, any movement by any human is necessarily a predictable response to outside forces. A man driving to work is no more "self-propelled" than an apple falling from a tree.

But, yeah, you want to believe that the brain is the key to consciousness, that it cannot exist in the absence of this one organic structure. And you think THAT is logical?

I am saying that the brain provides the only mechanism that we know of that can produce consciousness. I guess if you want to define consciousness as nothing more than patterned movement, then a lot of things would be considered conscious.

Which brings me to my law of similarities. The scientific method is flawed to the extent it preaches skeptism in the absence of knowledge. That means you assume the negative of any proposal (e.g., that the earth ecosystem is a conscious being) in the absence of affirmative proof. The problem with this approach is that it violates something we should all feel is true -- that we are all fundamentally alike, that everything is fundamentally similar. In the absence of any knowledge, you should assume that the unknown is similar to the known. THAT is the law of similarities. Thus, in the absence of knowledge whether anything else is conscious, we should assume everything is conscious like us. That makes a lot more sense than thinking that nothing is conscious unless it has something we, with our limited perceptions, can recognize as a brain.

What? That was wrong on so many levels. Consciousness is an extremely complicated thing that requires highly evolved processes. It would be much more prudent to assume something is not conscious unless it meets some biological standard. There is no law of similarities, that is not even a theory, and I have never even heard of it being proposed as a valid hypothesis in any scientific papers. It sound more like wishful thinking. If it is more than that, please reference the academic journals that describe it.

Perhaps the most well-known variation of the law of similarities is the Golden Rule -- "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." What is this rule based on? The assumption that people are similar, they enjoy similar things. Thus, what you like, other people probably like. If you agree -- as I think most do -- that the Golden Rule is brilliant in its elegant simplicity and truth, then I suggest you consider wider embrace of the law of similarities, on which the Golden Rule is based.

~psychoblast~

So, because humans have evolved empathy via mirror neurons you can extrapolate a law that says consciousness probably exists because everything probably has the attributes that we do. That is really what you are saying?

consciousness probably exists because everything probably has the attributes that we do.

Yeah, that's one way to put it. Another is that extrapolation from the observed is the best way to understand the unobservable.

Also, I never said evolution was not gradual. You set up a straw man to knock it down -- how clever of you. Regardless, I do believe separate organisms can come together in a symbiotic or even parasitic relationship that, in time, evolves until they merge into a single entity and their dna strands merge. The image of a singular organism evolving over time from single-celled, to multi-celled, to multil-organed is absurd. Moreover, it does not account for what we see in front of our face, as people come together in societies and specialize to work for a common good. It also does not explain the Borg.

Also, I think you are confusing conciousness with intelligence and with other variable characteristics. I'm not sure consciousness even requires emotions.

Finally, you are clearly contradicting yourself when you claim that consciousness is the ability to resist the laws of nature, but then you agree that brain activity -- which you say gives rise to consciousness -- is subject to the laws of nature. In fact, it appears you are the one who has a pseudo-religious perspective of consciousness, placing it on a pedestal above the natural laws of the universe and acting as if it spontaneously and magically poofed into existence when organic brain tissue got sufficiently complex. Very scientific.

I mean, let's back up. You agree humans are conscious. I assume you agree mammals in general are conscious -- dogs, monkeys, rabbits. That slipperly slope leads to agreement that birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish -- hell, all animals and insects -- are conscious. I mean, what is the most complex organism that you think does NOT have consciousness? Or what is the simplest organism that you think DOES have consciousness? Where do you draw that line? Because if you do not draw that line, then there are some organisms out there that are far simpler than human organs and cells and it makes no sense to believe those simple organisms are conscious, but that our own more complex organs and cells are not conscious. And then if you agree the conscious human body is comprised of many smaller conscious bodies (organs, cells, whatever), then you can EXTRAPOLATE that a collection of consciousnesses give rise to a higher consciousness, because that is what we experience in the human body, and why assume that we are unique rather than assuming that we are similar to everything around us?

~psychoblast~

Yeah, that's one way to put it. Another is that extrapolation from the observed is the best way to understand the unobservable.

Ok, since we only observe consciousness in biological organisms, one would extrapolate that there might be consciousness in other biological organisms. What organism are you referring to when you reference this larger consciousness?

Also, I never said evolution was not gradual. You set up a straw man to knock it down -- how clever of you. Regardless, I do believe separate organisms can come together in a symbiotic or even parasitic relationship that, in time, evolves until they merge into a single entity and their dna strands merge. The image of a singular organism evolving over time from single-celled, to multi-celled, to multil-organed is absurd. Moreover, it does not account for what we see in front of our face, as people come together in societies and specialize to work for a common good. It also does not explain the Borg.

Yes you did. You said that different organisms all of the sudden came together to create one larger organism, drastically increasing the complexity. That is sudden and abrupt, which is not gradual. I agree that different organisms can come together, that is how you have mitochondria. That is likely not how multicellular organisms evolved though. It has been well established that single celled organisms gave rise to multicellular organisms which gave rise to organisms with multiple organs. That is the very basis of evolution. The organs in your body did not evolve as separate organisms only to be joined together to form a functioning body. Evolution just doesn't work like that.

What is a Borg? Star Trek?

Also, I think you are confusing conciousness with intelligence and with other variable characteristics. I'm not sure consciousness even requires emotions.

No, I am merely using a common definition of consciousness. Why don't you define it as you see it, that would help this dialogue.

Finally, you are clearly contradicting yourself when you claim that consciousness is the ability to resist the laws of nature, but then you agree that brain activity -- which you say gives rise to consciousness -- is subject to the laws of nature. In fact, it appears you are the one who has a pseudo-religious perspective of consciousness, placing it on a pedestal above the natural laws of the universe and acting as if it spontaneously and magically poofed into existence when organic brain tissue got sufficiently complex. Very scientific.

Huh? I said consciousness is the result of a steady state which resists the normal equilibrium that occurs without biological intervention. This steady state perpetuates a balance that would not normally occur without biological activity. You know, pumping K+ out or Ca++ in. If the brain was allowed to reach equilibrium you would be dead, thus I said that consciousness resists the normal fate of chemicals subject to the laws of nature. Of course everything still follows physics, I never thought it didn't. When I said resist the laws of nature, I meant resist the normal fate of chemicals subject to the laws of nature. I never believed the laws themselves would actually change, perhaps I should have been clearer.

I mean, let's back up. You agree humans are conscious. I assume you agree mammals in general are conscious -- dogs, monkeys, rabbits. That slipperly slope leads to agreement that birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish -- hell, all animals and insects -- are conscious. I mean, what is the most complex organism that you think does NOT have consciousness? Or what is the simplest organism that you think DOES have consciousness? Where do you draw that line? Because if you do not draw that line, then there are some organisms out there that are far simpler than human organs and cells and it makes no sense to believe those simple organisms are conscious, but that our own more complex organs and cells are not conscious. And then if you agree the conscious human body is comprised of many smaller conscious bodies (organs, cells, whatever), then you can EXTRAPOLATE that a collection of consciousnesses give rise to a higher consciousness, because that is what we experience in the human body, and why assume that we are unique rather than assuming that we are similar to everything around us?

~psychoblast~

Complexity does not equal consciousness, consciousness represents the arrangement of cells so they can produce thought patterns and responses to stimuli that suggest self awareness and cognitive function beyond simple reflexes. Of course different people draw the line at different places, but it is basically looking at a bunch of organisms and saying to yourself, "At this point, the reaction of this organism doesn't represent any simple reflex, but a consorted response that suggests highly coordinated biological activity akin to our own ability to reason." It is not a simple issue to decide when consciousness begins, but it is relatively simple to understand that outside of biological organisms, we haven't observed anything that responds to stimuli in a manner suggesting consciousness as we know it.

You said that different organisms all of the sudden came together to create one larger organism, drastically increasing the complexity.

I never used the phrase "all of the sudden." On the contrary, as I explained originally, different organisms came together to work for common survival. They did qualitatively different things for the common good. Over time -- LOTS OF TIME -- they became more and more specialized and interdependent and they GRADUALLY evolved into a new, more complex organism. I never EVER said this was sudden. It took place over millions and billions of years.

It has been well established that single celled organisms gave rise to multicellular organisms which gave rise to organisms with multiple organs.

This is the what, not the how. I'm telling you the how. How did a multicellular oganisms give rise to organisms with multiple organs? They banded together for survival, started becoming more interdependent and gradually the organism reached a level of interdependence that reduced them to mere organs.

And we cannot observe consciousness in others. Consciousness is self-awareness, which is inherently non-observable. Thus, we can ONLY observe ourselves, and we see that, lo and behold, we ARE conscious. Since this is all we can observe, then 100% of observable phenomena are conscious. Thus, it makes perfect sense to believe that everything is conscious. Well, not all everythings, but some everythings.

Can you prove that anything is not self-aware?

Oh, and if "cognitive function beyond simple reflexes" were evidence of consciousness, then a lot of computers and/or programs would be conscious. If the human brain is nothing more than an extremely complex computing machine, which seems to follow from your position that it is all chemicals subject to natural laws, then why is a human conscious but not a computer? What is the secret spark of consciousness?

For that matter, where does consciousness reside physically? In the brain? In the neurons? In an electrical charge connecting neurons? It is indefineable. The more you try to limit consciousness to a biological byproduct, the more you actually make a STRONGER case that consciousness is some crazy, magical happenstance. I think that is actually a LESS logical and scientific approach than believing the spark of consciousness exists eternally in all things. My explanation avoids having to chase the hopeless quest to pin down a workable theory on where consciousness originates or dwells.

I think you are too young. I was an epiphenomenalist myself once. You'll grow out of it.

~psychoblast~

You are still missing the point about the evolution of multicellular organisms. They evolved as a single organism from the get go. Once eukaryotes developed a nucleus and differentiated cell types, organisms generally developed on their own. The mitochondria is one example of endosymbiosis, but this is an exception, not the rule. It seems you have a vague understanding of how evolution works, but you are just winging it with your own idea regardless of how things actually played out. Of course foreign DNA finds its way into the chromosomes of multicellular organisms, but the idea that specialized organs developed because different organisms came together after evolving to carry out those organs' specific functions is off the mark.

You have it backwards, organs did not result from a conjugation of separate organisms, they arose from the differentiation of a single organism that evolved.

We are conscious because we have an incredibly complex neurological system in play. Once you remove that, consciousness ceases to exist. It seems like a pretty basic idea to grasp. Since there seems to be a causal link between the brain and consciousness, it would be logical to look for consciousness where a similar biological system is present. Until we are able to duplicate this phenomenon with computing technology, the only rational place to look for consciousness is other animals. So in conclusion, it is not logical to assume everything around us is conscious. There is no basis for such a broad assumption.

As I have said, it is difficult to define consciousness, and one ultimately ends up with an arbitrary line. Still, this does not mean we throw the baby out with the bathwater and just define everything as conscious. I personally believe that consciousness is a dynamic system that relies on the brain to perpetuate its existence. So, while it physically resides in the brain, brain activity is required to store memories and such. I don't think that memories are static and tied to neuronal structure alone.

Either way, since I am too young to understand this as you have suggested, why don't you explain to me the possible mechanism behind some "higher" consciousness. Is it similar to the electrophysiology we observe in brains? What makes you think it exists beyond our own consciousness, which I have just show to be linked to the brain, and thus very unlikely to exist where a brain is not present?

I do not think you can prove evolution did not work as I have suggested.

How does the first creature evolve multiple organs? Or multiple cells? These changes are too complex to write off as a random genetic mutation. My theory -- that multiple organisms teamed up and eventually evolved into a single organims with a higher order of complexity -- provides an elegant solution to this dilemma because it allows for very comples genetic change and evolution that is NOT dependent upon radical random mutation.

We are conscious because we have an incredibly complex neurological system in play

I'm still waiting for you to explain just how complex a neurological system has to be for it to give rise to consciousness. Even if you cannot be 100% sure, you still ought to be able to guesstimate where you would draw the line.

If consciousness arises from an network of neurons connected and working together through paths of communication, then how is that any different from the United States government? Last I checked, people are walking neuron-containers. Societies work together through paths of communication.

Example 1: A person steps on a thorn. The pain signals travel up on the neurological pathways to the brain which then sends a signal to various muscles that, in a coordinated fashion, cause the body to reach down and remove the thorn.

Example 2: A forest fire starts in a national park. The message of the fire travels along governmental pathways of communication until, at a high enough level, signals are sent out to various branches of government to bring in fire fighters and national guard to control and put out the fire.

Why is the first example the product of a singular consciousness, but not the second? If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, why not agree it is a duck?

It is like you are screaming, "But where are the NEURONS? Where is the organic matter?" Well, hello, WE ARE IT. Humans, depending on their roles in society, often play the part of neurons for a higher consciousness. We ARE organic matter. In what way does a society fail your test for consciousness? Because you don't see some 60 foot high brain? Are you that f-in limited in your imagination, that you cannot accept that a brain can look anything different from a big ball of wringled gray tissue? That communication can take place in any way other than little sparks from neuron to neuron?

I'm talking about a HIGHER consciousness, not a BIGGER conciousness. You look at the space between people - the fact that people move separately and you can drive a truck between them, and you conclude they CANNOT be part of a singular consciousness. How limited! Do you realize how much space, relatively speaking, is between the subatomic particles that make up an atom? How much space is between the atoms that make up a chemical compound? How much of the human body is really just empty space?

You are like some one saying, "Oh, the earth cannot possibly be conscious. It's all water and dirt and rocks and only a little bit of organic material." Duh, what do you think the human body is? 70% water? Any minerals in the human body? Bingo!

I'm not saying the planet is one big person. You've got to open your mind to the possibility that there are things that may be conscious, but their motives and purposes and desires and ways of thinking are inherently unfathomable because they are just too different. Do you think any cell in your body has any way to fathom that the body itself has a singular sense of consciousness, or do you think the cells just work along feeling like THEY are the end all and be all of consciousness and that the human body is just a big social network wherein the conscious cells ork together for the common good?

I don't have all the answers, but your answers keep reinforcing my belief that you are too close-minded. You have a lot of preconceived notions. No matter how much you try to follow a logical or scientific method, it is not very effective to look through a microscope while wearing blinders.

~psychoblast~

Psychoblast -

You are simply wrong about how multicellular organisms evolved. It is not a matter of opinion that is up for grabs, it is a well established principle that a single organism evolved the different organs found in modern animals. There is all kinds of evidence available. I have my B.S. in biochemistry, and during my undergraduate education we reviewed multiple basic metabolic pathways that confirm the evolutionary lineage as I have described it. If different organisms came together you would expect notably different alleles for certain key metabolic enzymes and proteins. You just don't see this. There is a mountain of evidence favoring my position. You are simply wrong on this issue.

This leads me to believe that you have a very loose grasp on the biological systems in place today. That is probably why you are able to make such a leap of faith regarding consciousness, I am guessing since you haven't studied the material it is much easier make such broad and unfounded assumptions. You know just enough to make a hypothesis, but not enough to make an accurate prediction. This is not a slam on you, just an observation about the ideas you have posted thus far.

As I have stated, I have my B.S. in biochemistry, I know full well the space between subatomic particles and the nature of their interactions. I know full well how much water is in the human body and the role of various organic constituents. That has nothing to do with it. I am not coming at this from an uneducated standpoint. Neurons are positioned so that they can work in a somewhat predictable and ordered fashion. The brain requires complex chemical interactions to perform the functions of consciousness. Although humans may interact with each other, it is not the same thing as consciousness as we know it. Sure, societies may develop certain behaviors, but it is nothing like the consciousness produced by the brain. Unless you want to define consciousness as something so broad as to strip it of any actual meaning.

Like I said, trying to equate society with a functioning biological consciousness either does not work or strips consciousness of any real meaning. There are entire fields dedicated to the patterns of human societies, but these fields aren't titled "higher consciousness". If you dispute this, explain the attributes of society that mirror human consciousness. What specifically ties the two together? From my perspective, consciousness arises from cells that do not possess any self awareness, it is a unique and awe inspiring process. Social dynamics, while interesting, do not possess the same type of emergent properties.

I am not close minded, I have simply considered the various options and have chosen what I believe to be true. I think with a little more training in biochemistry you would come to the same conclusions, since understanding the enormous complexity of consciousness renders it as something special and not to be transferred to any old thing.

What you want to happen after you die..

I don't know if anyone else has ever thought about this, or has a plan. But when I go through my suicidal thoughts I tamper with and fix my plans...

When you die, what do you want to happen to you? Get buried, burned, kept in an urn?

I personally want to be cremated and have 1/2 my ashes mixed in with soil and planted with either a Willow or hazel sapling, and the other 1/2 mixed with the soil around the tree and have ivy planted there. Haven't found exactly where yet but in the woods somewhere. I don't want a huge tombstone sitting in a graveyard someplace, I'd rather have a sad angel statue (like 4-5" tall) near the tree. If possible have her have some of my characteristics in the face, one tattered looking wing, one hand holding a large rose with a long stem with thorns to her heart, the other hand held slightly out as if asking you to take her hand. I want a saying under her... just not sure exactly what yet, I'm thinking "It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything"

Yeah... so what do you want?

All i can say is please don't commit suicide if that is what you are thinking of. If you have suicidal thoughts please go see a mental health proffesional about it. Even talking about it can help alot.

Merging with a thread from TDS.

Mods, I know it's not precisely the same topic, but close enough :)
Feel free to unmerge if you wish.

Last edited:
All i can say is please don't commit suicide if that is what you are thinking of. If you have suicidal thoughts please go see a mental health proffesional about it. Even talking about it can help alot.

it's nothing like that, when I was (not now though) suicidal I thought about what I wanted after I die, I don't want the normal thing and was wondering if any one else had a unique idea.

I understand what your saying, how do you want to be remembered.. if at all, and how.

I'd prefer to be cremated, and my ashes poured into the ocean or forest.. i'd prefer people make peace with the fact im gone, instead of revisiting a tombstone. But that said.. what will be will be, and i won't be here to care about it anyhow.

I believe that when you die It's almost like a deep sleep that falls the soul of a man or woman when they die, total unconsciousness. Until the end of the world at the Great White throne of Judgement (Judgement day) where the dead both good and evil are resurrected both body and soul.The dead are judged by Jesus Christ and they either go on to everlasting life into heaven or they are thrown into the lake fire where they are totally destroyed by spiritual death; nonexistence;totally destroyed.
I get my beliefs from the bible which I believe to be the Word of God. I do not believe in a place of conscious eternal punishment (hell) for the unsaved this would not make Jesus(whom I believe Is the God of Abraham Issac and Jacob, Jehova, the Lord of Hosts, the Ancient of Days etc etc), a just God for tormenting people for all eternity for a life of sin, because the punishment dosen't fit the crime. This is just what I believe, It's interesting to see what everybody else believes about life after death, and their perspectives about religion. I have my theories for everything but I am in no way knocking anybodys belief on what they think will occur. I derived my beliefs on my own, not through any church or denomination of Christianity.

i believe we are all here to learn, and will keep coming back until we have completed the learning process, then we will return home.

cause & effect
what we go through in life is supposedly chosen by ourselves before we are born as part of what we need to learn while we are here,

i believe this even though i am a 90% believer in life after death and still need the last 10% to be fulfilled,

if none of it is true and we do just die and that it is the end
i think it is so cruel what the spiritualists/mediums do to people,

i do go to the spiritualist church occasionally
and am an avid reader onf spiritual books
even though some people laugh and make a fool of me

I think we will probably never find out any of life's mystery's such as this one unless religion is removed for ever then we will have more time on trying to solve these questions instead of hoping that a mystical being brought up by our own fear will determine our fate.

I couldn't agree more. If you look back in history you will see that every leap made in science has been challenged or denied by the church.

life is the illusion. we are already dead, we just think we're alive.

this is the realization that you are nothing and nothing is everything. before you were born into your body, you were nothing.. but it wasnt really nothing, it was everything. that nothingness took on the shape of your current form and over the course of it's existence, that form added layers of attachments to itself forming an ego, creating the illusion that you are alive. but the truth is you are still that nothing, consciousness, you just inhabit a temporary body. when you die you will return to that "nothing" only to be reborn into another form.

i mean no one can say with pure certainty what happens when you die but im like 99.99% sure on this.

Last edited: