• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What drugs give you a rush u can only get from IV?

Diamorphazepam

Greenlighter
I'm not interested in what drugs you think give you the best rush or feel stronger when IVed. There's a few obvious ones there. I'm mostly interested in drugs that give you a kind of "different" feeling you can only get from IV'ing even compared with taking massive amounts of it orally.

Heroin is the most obvious of course.
I know you get a feel from heroin you can only get IV'd that lasts less than 1 minute. It's a feeling and leaves a taste at the back of your throat strongly for a few seconds and than fades away to a weak taste left. This may be achieved if you smoke a huge hit maybe. But this certainly can't be achieved orally and there is actually a pharmacological reason for this. This also explains why Heroin only has a few half of around 2.5 mins.

Quoted from Wikipedia:
Oral use of heroin is less common than other methods of administration, mainly because there is little to no "rush", and the effects are less potent.[37] Heroin is entirely converted to morphine by means of first-pass metabolism, resulting in deacetylation when ingested. Heroin's oral bioavailability is both dose-dependent (as is morphine's) and significantly higher than oral use of morphine itself, reaching up to 64.2% for high doses and 45.6% for low doses; opiate-naive users showed far less absorption of the drug at low doses, having bioavailabilities of only up to 22.9%. The maximum plasma concentration of morphine following oral administration of heroin was around twice as much as that of oral morphine.

I was not expecting to find something like this written on the same page just now:
the results of clinical studies comparing the physiological and subjective effects of injected heroin and morphine in individuals formerly addicted to opioids; these subjects showed no preference for one drug over the other. Equipotent injected doses had comparable action courses, with no difference in subjects' self-rated feelings of euphoria, ambition, nervousness, relaxation, drowsiness, or sleepiness.[16]Short-term addiction studies by the same researchers demonstrated that tolerance developed at a similar rate to both heroin and morphine. When compared to the opioids hydromorphone, fentanyl, oxycodone, and pethidine/meperidine, former addicts showed a strong preference for heroin and morphine,
That is very interesting. That contradicts what I just said. Is it just because morphine isn't very water soluble and u need to inject over 1mL instantly to get the same feeling as 0.1mLs of Heroin?
There's the lipid solubility too so it seems. So it wouldn't matter if there were people injecting morphine in 10 different veins at once for you. You still couldn't feel the same rush.

From the Wikipedia morphine page:
Diacetylmorphine (better known as heroin) was synthesized from morphine in 1874 and brought to market by Bayer in 1898. Heroin is approximately 1.5 to 2 times more potent than morphine weight for weight. Due to the lipid solubility of diacetylmorphine, it can cross the blood–brain barrier faster than morphine, subsequently increasing the reinforcing component of addiction.[91] Using a variety of subjective and objective measures, one study estimated the relative potency of heroin to morphine administered intravenously to post-addicts to be 1.80–2.66 mg of morphine sulfate to 1 mg of Diamorphine hydrochloride (heroin).[

Anyways my intention was not to just talk about how heroin feels better IV'd than high amounts taken orally. I only got interested when I read that people found Heroin and Morphine to be the same and better than Hydromorphone that took my interest.

Back to my main interest as to what drugs have a different feel when IV'd

I havn't had much experience with IV'ing a whole lot of different drugs but there is a few drugs that may seem interesting.

Oxymorphone (10% oral BA) and Hydromorphine (30% oral BA)?
But would have the same feel as taking 10 times the Oxy or 3 times the Hydro orally?

Molly crystals .seems interesting that nobody IV's it. (11-53% oral BA on one site. 50% on another and not calculated on another.) I will have to look for a more definite BA. It already feel intense. Imagine if the BA 3 times stronger IV. It may hit different receptors maybe?

Ketamine. Coke, Anything. Just something that feels different and not simply stronger?

THC/CBD seems interesting too. Even other psychedelics. LSD? I don't even know which ones can be IV'd.

I've heard of liquid Diazepam. Can u actually get a benzo rush?
I know when taken orally you are effected by it's metabolites. Nordiazepam, temazepam and Oxazepam. If you IV. Maybe you Could feel simply diazepam itself for a little while. Perfect example of what I mean.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/research/job185drugs/diazepam.htm
this website says Valium has 100% oral BA. that's insane.
I read that Diazepam has a solubility in water of 0.05mg per mL; 41mg per mL in 95% ethanol and 17mg per mL in propylene glycol. Imagine 80mg with ethanol in a 2mL syringe?

Maybe there are a lot of drugs that we feel the high of there metabolites only and loose some of there effects when taken orally. I don't understand how it all works. You get the idea of what I mean...

Last edited:
I will take a stab at this one for you. I suspect the primary reason a drug feels different when I.V.ed rather then an alternative method has to do with peak plasma levels and the speed at which that is achieved. I actually feel cocaine is a superior example then heroin so I will use that.

Let's say person A takes cocaine orally, not only is it effected by the stomach, it also must get into the blood stream. If the body can not absorb something as efficiently it will take longer to get into the blood this is what we call "coming up" as concentrations reaches its peak we switch to the peak followed by the comedown. This whole process takes longer orally due to the fact it takes longer to get in.

Nasal cocaine will absorb faster, due to more surface area it can land on and absorb through rather then in a liquid state through a muscle tissue. This speed of absorption increase is what we would call a "rush" this rush is associated with the body going from baseline to high quicker. The shorter you make the time to get to the blood the bigger the rush as the body responds instantly.

This brings us to IV which is the fastest you can get a drug into the blood, short of inhalation. This is because you get it all in none is lost, provided you don't miss and it gets into the blood as quick as you can push down. If the rush is associated with the speed of absorption, among other things like concentration and dose, the faster the bigger the rush, the bigger the rush the more different it feels from its counter parts.

I think this is what you are talking about in a sense and I used cocaine because there is a difference between snorting and shooting/vaporising more people will appreciate maybe but I never shot cocaine only heroin. Also this is all my theory I have no sources so take it as you will. Also this post is only about peak plasma levels and their correlation to the "rush" I did not get into anything involving activity at a neurological level.

There is also a relation to what receptor sites are being activated and what they do in the bidy (what they regulate) all of this is related, achieving a rush is complicated. I believe this is what causes the effect that not all drugs that are I.V.ed create a rush. Let's say a cascade of events needs to occur for a drug to work, so it works across serotonin receptors and not just one, may be it's possible that it goes one, two, three, and that process isn't instant. Sorry I realised you were asking what drugs produce a rush and I answered how, oh well I'm leaving it :)

Last edited:
yeah so there is more than BA that is involved in making a rush. time from onset to peak also determines how much stronger the rush feels.
I know BA effects the strength of a rush does. But does time from onset to peak actually effect how strong the high is or just how strong it seems?
u think a car is going faster when it goes from 0-100 in 10 seconds than u think it's going if it slowly goes up to 100 over a minute. but at the end it's still at the same speed. The high is the same intensity as in it's going the same speed so to speak. You just think it's stronger due to a faster change.

Methadone has a very slow onset but doesn't have a significantly different feel when IV'd apparently. Buprenorphine has a slow onset to peak. Can you feel a rush when this is injected?
Maybe there is more to a drug having a rush than just having a fast onset to peak. Actually even when drugs are IV'd they have varying times of onset to peak don't they. some may still take a few minutes where you would notice the change less. This must be why some drugs have a rush. Those that peak instantly.

I was more talking about a different feel more than a significantly noticed stronger effect only achieved with IV compared a drugs bio-equivalent oral dose. but that is also interesting. some drugs have a rush when IV'd. Some feel quite the same compared to oral. and some even feel different.

Last edited:
can you inject that?
insane.
I was thinking about suggesting that one as one of then psychedelics.
imagine the rush if DMT usually takes a while to peak. and peaks instantly with IV. 8o
and maybe you loose some of the effects when taken orally. maybe it's even different when IV'd hitting more neurotransmitters.

Yes, I have no experience with it myself but from what I have read it's extremely intense. (prob understatement)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N,N-Dimethyltryptamine
IV peak 2 mins. When taken orally 90–120 minutes. The pharmacokinetics for vaporizing DMT have not been studied or reported.

heroin
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/622136-Heroin-(diacetylmorphine)
IV- onset 0-30 seconds, peak T+ 15minutes, plateau T+30minutes-2hours, Afterglow T+2-4hours, end of experience T3-4hours.
interesting. it feels like its at it's strongest after a minute I thought.

hold on with this info here it would mean DMT has a faster rush than heroin?
og no it says onset to dmt is over 1 min on this site.
https://wiki.tripsit.me/wiki/DMT

Someone needs to research how fast different drugs have there onset and peak. and than make a chart of how strong a rush is compared to it's oral bio-equivelant dose.

they have BA for different routes and dose equivalence for different drugs in the same class. they need a rush equivalence chart.

anyways. mdma would be interesting to know about how it's like IV'd. and my friend said they used to have injectable temazepam. Id Ive seen a bottle of liquid diazepam

Last edited:
In the case of Buprenorphine it could be because it's a partial agonist and can not achieve a great enough activation to produce a rush. As far as methadone no idea how it actually works but it's not related to morphine so it could be way different.

Also I would imagine converting dmt into a water soluble salt and injecting it, possibly with an maoi, would work maybe without a quick onset apparently. But smoking it makes it work quick enough however I wouldnt call that a rush...

Cocaine is the best example of a drug that gives a totally different high when IVd. If injecting the right dose of quality coke, the feeling is unlike anything else....snorting coke feels okay, but IV is like a new more pleasurable drug. MDMA is another drug that feels different when IVd : peak is immediate, with a short high (2 hrs), mixed with a rush similar to IV methamphetamine, and no crush. Sometimes my buddy injects MDMA early in the morning , then takes a nap and goes to work without any feeling of depression or "etardedness".

Iv 2cs and dmt are pretty insane and different when ivd compared to any other way of taking it. N good iv coke is just amazing and I don't really like uppers.

what szuko said... i believe the rush has to do with the speed the drug reaches the brain and the inherent effects of the drug.

some drugs reach the brain slowly even when IVed, and this accounts for how intense of a rush you can get. for example, cocaine and methylphenidate. cocaine hits you within seconds and almost all at once (well, as 'at once' as drugs get) and gives you a very intense rush. now even a equipotent dose of methylphenidate wouldn't provide (in my experience at least) a rush as intense, because it doesn't hit you all at once, it's subtle, and takes like 30 seconds or one minute to hit.

and also, there are certain classes of drugs that don't really provide a rush, or you'll get mixed answers. while it's unarguable that cocaine will give you a rush when IVed, you'll get mixed answers on IV GABAergics for example. personally i don't find any rush, just instantly being stupid and not realizing it.

the same would apply to IV psychedelics. i have read that LSD even when IVed takes an hour or so to hit - it probably reaches the brain slowly - but IV DMT hits you quick and strong...

I think there's something else to a rush rather than hitting u all at once like regular d amphetamine for example when IVed hits you all at once but I wouldn't call it a rush at all and most people wouldn't and it hits in seconds oxycodone is like that too. Versus drugs like herione and cocaine which hit you in the same amount of time (just seconds) but they provide a true rush I've always wondered what truely makes a rush a rush

So, there is no rush from IV DMT?

(I have only read, watched documentaries about the substance)

Has there ever been cases of inthratecal cocaine use in humans? Does anyone know the effects? Snorting and IVng feel so different, I wonder how a spine injection may feel...

After a short search, I found some examples from back in the 1800s, ....but I can't talk to those patients....

Oh,btw, to the poster: IV Molly, or mdma feels amazing but lasts only two hours. No crash, weirdly enough. You peak instantly and there's a rush similar to methamphetamine.

Last edited:
Arguably, IV hydromorphone (Dilaudid et al.) has a stronger, faster, better opiate rush than does heroin, albeit at the cost of a shorter overall duration. It's like the cocaine of opiates. It's definitely the best opiate rush I've tried, although H still beats it out with its legs and unique warmth.

IV meth, however, is IMO the very best rush you can get (haven't tried IV coke, though). While the H rush has a good 15-30 second buildup, the rush from IV meth comes instantaneously, sometimes kicking in before I even finish the shot. The meth makes my blood feel cold, and I swear I can feel it move swiftly through my chest and into my throat--freezing my lungs and making me cough, and filling the back of my mouth with a cold, metallic tang--before hitting those sweet, sweet dopamine receptors in my brain. In an especially fat shot I also feel it hard in my ladyparts, creating a warm wave reminiscent of orgasm. I rush hard for at least another minute, as the drug radiates throughout my body; my heart is pounding, I'm breathing quickly, and I'm sitting paralyzed by pleasure, just muttering "fuck fuck FUCK" as dopamine tingles cascade across my scalp and down my spine. This is also when the nausea sets in, if I've taken too much. The bulk of the rush is over in a few minutes, leaving you tingly and clear-headed. Other ROAs for meth, while perfectly capable of getting you tweaked the same as IV, just can't deliver on the rush--the closest would be plugging, where there are indeed some tingling cascades. (Note: this is NOT an endorsement of IV meth, as it's a risky ROA, nor of meth in general, for while the rush might be exhilarating, it really isn't worth the next 36 hours of stimulation that long overstays its welcome, nor the compulsion to redose for the rush and to bring back a fraction of the pleasure of the first shot.)

It's probably obvious that I have a bit of a needle fixation :p and in my past addiction, when I ran out of my DOC I would try shooting up just about anything that fit in a syringe. So I can tell you from painful personal experience that IV Seroquel and Benadryl have NO rush, nor in fact any recreational effects at all.

I also strongly recommends against IVing dissociatives, specifically ketamine and MXE. There's no unique rush to speak of, just instantaneous confusion and body discoordination. I used to like K and MXE plugged or even IM--ROAs that give you the minute or two you need to finish your shot and settle into a comfortable position--but IV hits so fast you don't have time to put the needle away before the world warps and you forget your own name. After blacking out and waking up in the ER twice after IVing MXE, I called it quits on the drug class as a whole. The overpowering confusion and stupor of the IV ROA ruined dissociatives in general. (I'd imagine IV psychedelics might be similar--no rush, just the effects coming on uncomfortably fast.)