• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What dose should an opiate taper finish at

How low would one want to go before stopping all together, and how would you recommend splitting doses. Personally i'm tapering morphine but you can use whatever opiate your used to and I can convert, just interested on peoples thoughts on the subject. Obviously you want to get as low as possible but trying to get under 10mg how would you dose these low amounts so that it lasted an entire day? For background on my addiction I was taking high doses (100mg methadone+heroin) and I started about 6 years ago, currently at 20mg morphine

Gday mate, I'm in the process of trying taper from heroin, currently I have 0.10g a hit with a little meth mixed together. I know that I can go at least 5 hours b4 needing another but lately I haven't been totally doing the taper properly. I have decided to give the stuff to my bro to administer as I use after just after having one an hour ago. Would u say that if it's possible to taper down as fast as possible?
I am over using n everyday I say to myself that I will used the 0.10g and wait till I actually start wd.

As low as you can go. Eventually it gets to a level (comparing a methadone taper here) where it becomes pointless to continue suffering between doses and just make the jump. Sub 10mg with methadone for sure, if you can get to 5mg even better. I wouldn't recommend jumping off 20mg of methadone or higher.

Gday mate, I'm in the process of trying taper from heroin, currently I have 0.10g a hit with a little meth mixed together. I know that I can go at least 5 hours b4 needing another but lately I haven't been totally doing the taper properly. I have decided to give the stuff to my bro to administer as I use after just after having one an hour ago. Would u say that if it's possible to taper down as fast as possible?
I am over using n everyday I say to myself that I will used the 0.10g and wait till I actually start wd.
I am on exactly same thing at moment, was on 60mls meth and fairly stable but could not taper no matter what.
Have switched to 10mls meth and .1 brown every 12 hours. Last two hours is hardest. Am dropping the gear .02 every three days and will just be left on meth. Am finding it lot easier to not cheat. Can face being ill no issue if I know gear is waiting.

I am on exactly same thing at moment, was on 60mls meth and fairly stable but could not taper no matter what.
Have switched to 10mls meth and .1 brown every 12 hours. Last two hours is hardest. Am dropping the gear .02 every three days and will just be left on meth. Am finding it lot easier to not cheat. Can face being ill no issue if I know gear is waiting.
When u say ur on 60mls of meth, why is it in mls? Sorry if it's a dumb question but do u get it meth in liquid form? I'm still at 0.10g of heroin n I just add a bit of meth. I dont weigh the meth as I dont have an addiction to it. Wen u say one shot every 12hrs do u mean say for example you have a shot at 7am and then come 7pm you take your next shot?
It's hard for me to believe that one shot can last you 12hrs, for me I am feeling the wd kick in around 7hrs. I guess ur proof that it can be done.
What bout wen u reduce the heroin how long does it take for your body to adjust to the drop?

Last edited:
When u say ur on 60mls of meth, why is it in mls? Sorry if it's a dumb question but do u get it meth in liquid form? I'm still at 0.10g of heroin n I just add a bit of meth. I dont weigh the meth as I dont have an addiction to it. Wen u say one shot every 12hrs do u mean say for example you have a shot at 7am and then come 7pm you take your next shot?
It's hard for me to believe that one shot can last you 12hrs, for me I am feeling the wd kick in around 7hrs. I guess ur proof that it can be done.
What bout wen u reduce the heroin how long does it take for your body to adjust to the drop?
Methadone comes in liquid form so the mls refer to that.

Sorry when I wrote meth I meant ice
Yeah I realised that but I was answering your question as to why the previous poster had written it in mls. They were talking about methadone I’m assuming due to the topic being opiate taper.

Yeah I was on 60mls of liquid meth. This week I’ve stopped it on purpose as my body getting mixed up. Over this weekend with no meth I’m having .25g of good gear every 24 hours. Sometimes that’s .12 every 12 hours or sometimes 0.08 every 8 hours. With meth as soon as I’m ill or reducing I run off for gear . Where as if I’m reducing gear I find I can manage to be ill for hour or two if I’m busy at work.

Yeah I was on 60mls of liquid meth. This week I’ve stopped it on purpose as my body getting mixed up. Over this weekend with no meth I’m having .25g of good gear every 24 hours. Sometimes that’s .12 every 12 hours or sometimes 0.08 every 8 hours. With meth as soon as I’m ill or reducing I run off for gear . Where as if I’m reducing gear I find I can manage to be ill for hour or two if I’m busy at work.
Sorry @polo792 i stand corrected. It was liquid meth!

Yeah I realised that but I was answering your question as to why the previous poster had written it in mls. They were talking about methadone I’m assuming due to the topic being opiate taper.
So 60mls he is referring to methadone?

Ok now I understand. I was wondering how u could be ok for 12hrs on 0.10g b4 re-dose.

I've never been able to taper. It would definitely help but the depression is somewhat inevitable.

Anyone will be able to quit opiates when they are ready to. Sometimes it's literally beyond impossible but one day you'll wake up without any revelation or anything and be able to stop easily. So strange addiction is. I guess opiates decide when someone has truly suffered enough.

U mind me asking where you are on your journey?
I’m ready just need to taper so not off work too long
It’s taken my last career, took my driving licence , took my partner. Putting life back together. Year ago was on 1g and crack.
Now .25g and no crack. Only using at all to taper as I find methadone good to stablize but not to drop

Ill just update with how I did it, after being on 100mg methadone along with however much heroin I could afford. Tapered down my methadone slowly, probably like 10mg/2 weeks dont remember that well was a while ago until I was okay on 400mg morphine/day. From 400mg morphine I took a year to taper down to a final dose of 30mg/day of morphine and at that point I was so accustomed to the lower dose as well as some minor level of withdrawal it was pretty damn easyas far as physical withrawal.

Overall about 1.5 years of taper and willpower not to use anything illicit during the taper, ending at 30mg of oral morphine daily, which is the same as probably 10mg of snorted heroin/day or 10mg methadone

Last edited:
Ill just update with how I did it, after being on 100mg methadone along with however much heroin I could afford. Tapered down my methadone slowly, probably like 10mg/2 weeks dont remember that well was a while ago until I was okay on 400mg morphine/day. From 400mg morphine I took a year to taper down to a final dose of 30mg/day of morphine and at that point I was so accustomed to the lower dose as well as some minor level of withdrawal it was pretty damn easy
Do u mean morphine or bupremorphine

Do u mean morphine or bupremorphine
morphine, kadian to be exact which is a 24hour controlled release form of morphine, 30mg of bupe would be a pretty massive dose

Probably would be similiar to taking 5mg of methadone twice daily

Hey Brangen. I really think the answer to this question is highly personal. A useful bit of information, is that often times, moving from XXmg to absolute 0mg is often a disproportionately difficult experience for people.

I would include this for myself. I've completely withdrawn from both Heroin and Methadone a few times a piece and I often found the move to zero to be a difficult one. Aside from that, I would encourage you to listen to what your body and mind are telling you.

If you would like advice in dealing with the symptoms of withdrawal in general we can help you with that too. Feel free to message me.

morphine, kadian to be exact which is a 24hour controlled release form of morphine, 30mg of bupe would be a pretty massive dose

Probably would be similiar to taking 5mg of methadone twice daily
Never heard of kadan not sure if we get it here

Tapering does in a way prolong out the withdrawal and can be used as a clutch to still rationalize an addiction. I mean everyone should stop at their own pace and comfort zones. In the past when I've tapered and my tolerance was way lower--it compelled me to suddenly take a lot more because of the euphoria returning.

Although nobody should cold turkey methadone unless they love misery.

By meth you mean methadone?
What do you mean by gear?