• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What are you reading now? vers. "So I don't end up being a fucking waffle waitress"

^So much shit fantasy out there!! Most so-called sci fi is just fantasy with lasers these days too. I blame Tolkien :)

From a Buick 8 - Stephen King

I'm about 1/2 way through, and it's pretty good so far. It reminds me of his early work, ie Christine, Carrie, etc...

WP

Wife of martain guire - such an epic story. Girl is forced to marry at an eart age, her husband leaves for war, he returns but she knows the whole time it's an imposter. Noone believes her and she lives many hard years with thisman. Her real husband returns, he condemns her as well as the rest of the village. She said this wad so all along, they then kill her for it. Love good ol' medieval times!

inherent_vice.jpg

Inherent Vice

Just picked up a copy. Looking forward to starting this one :)

Side note, Paul Thomas Anderson may be turning this into a film shortly with Robert Downey Jnr involved :D

Last edited:
Really enjoyed Past The Shallows by Favel Parret. Story about 3 brothers living in a fishing village in far south tassie. Sad but not depressing, wonderful writing and characters you really get "know". Local girl, too, which makes it much more satisfying to recommend. It's coming out in May so you will have to wait a little bit but don't forget about it.

Another winner was "When God Was A Rabbit" by Sarah Winman: quirky, fun and simply a really good read.

Well well we are a widely read, very literary mob on BL aye : )
'Tale of Genji' Machinations within 12th century Japanese imperial court. Sounds fascinating aye or are you still awake?
For a year and a half previous was reading the one book: 'Musashi' which is a dramatisation of the life and times of Japans most famous ronin. Now that wasn't actually too long for someone who is so illiterate they had to be told how to spell Xanax in another thread : D
Anyone else found that their reading pleasure has dwindled since being prescribed glasses for the purpose? Mine has......mainly as I can never find them and then the urge or chance passes : (
Hari Om
edtree

^^ Hey qr, thanks for that, gonna give 'When God was a Rabbit' a go. Love the title! Reminds me of that movie 'Getting to know your Rabbit' from the '70's (or late ''60's) with Orson Wells.

Most current book in the Wheel of Time series. I agree on the above post about it though. I only got into the books after Jordan passed. Had I been one of those long time lovers of WoT, I would have been out years ago due to frustration!

Hi Guys, I was just having a quick squizz around and started to read a few various forms that were avail here.

I'm interested in weird perfumes, I actually have one (by a different artist I think" called "secretions magnific" and it smells like... well if you rubbed your hand in the wet spot after sex. Another is supposed to smell like a rotting corpse but I've never been brave enough to open that one. Ooh, and another is "Hotel Slut". It looks much nicer in French but I can't remember how that goes
Isnt that one called PARIS HILTON ? hahaha

As for reading well, I think I'd be lucky if I read 2 novels a year. I'd love to read more but I just cant sit around for that length of time just to read unfortunately (part of the joys of renovating yr house - NOT!] - unless the book is made up of chapters of only a handful of pages - like how Steven King sometimes does his, or Marian Keyes.
Plus the author has to be able to make me 'want' to read it. There's only been 1 book that Ive read that was like, but I had to suffer thru the first 50+ or so pages of such pretentious mid 80's yuppy one up manship of name dropping of designer commercial consumerism - or corporatel agencies headhunting big dollar executives off their latest lists of whos who in the city. But you have to read it so you can work your mind into his fu*ked up delusional environment of life. Then from then on I just wanted to keep reading & reading - as I was drawn into the sick & dark world of his twisted mind whilst also in disbelief & shock but I wanted to know what was going to be done next and how. Any takers on guessing the book?

American Psycho By Bret Easton Ellis

^ I enjoyed it but it's possibly the only book that's made me feel genuinely uncomfortable reading.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. I know of the movie, and knew there was a book, and so when I was at the airport and needed a new book I grabbed that. So far so good. I'm still trying to get through For The Term of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke but it's a difficult read for me because it's not something I would buy myself, but since I was given it as a present I'll continue.

I just read A Feast For Crows, the 4th book in a sword and sorcery fantasy series called Song of Ice and Fire. It was awful.

The first book was published in 1995 and it was pretty good! The whole series was supposed to be a trilogy, and it would have made a fantastic trilogy. But the first book was so successful that the author (George R. R. Martin) decided everything he vomited onto the page henceforth was genius and couldn`t be excised, even when it was utter shit. It has now taken 16 years to stretch an intended trilogy into four books with another three more planned, and this last one was just pure garbage. He`s been missing deadlines for the last six years on the promised fifth book.
Well said, Benefit.

You'll be happy to know (or further frustrated by the news) that the fifth book has been completed and will be released in July.

Heliopolis.bmp

Just started on heliopolis by James Scudamore.
Sort of a rags to riches story of a young kid growing up in Sao Paulo.

Also just started on Power VS Force, The hidden determinants of Human Behavior by David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D.
Picture-7.png

I'm only a little way in so far, so really can't give a decent review of it at present.

2 very different books with tattoos as part of the story line:

"Surface detail" Iain M Banks - a total ripper of a hard sci fi yarn. Can anyone else do twisted depraved sadistic torture AND gob-smacking future technology at the same time? WIN!!

"Indelible Ink" by Fiona McGregor - about an ageing Mosman woman who decides to get massively inked in a burst of delusionment with her bourgeois surroundings. Actually kinda fun

Molloy by Samuel Beckett for Uni. Really good book, if you don't mind a think, not exactly a pageturner, can be quite infuriating but the ideas present are really quite fascinating. This is literature.

Almost finished with this one so I'm eyeing off some Philip K Dick

Latest pulitzer winner, "A Visit From The Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan is well worth the read.

And for those who don't mind a little cross-species relationships, "The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore" by Benjamin Hale is a ripper of a book.

I am currently reading:

Symptoms of Withdrawal by Chris Lawford
I find it amusing and it contains some grains of truth.
Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child: The religious Roots of Physical Punishment
This is fascinating and illuminates how Anglos think about physical punishment.
For pleasure, I am reading Strangers in death by J.d. Robb.

Iv'e got a few books on the go at the moment:

ChickenHawk by Robert Mason
Dispatches by Michael Herr
Welcome to Hell by Colin Martin.