• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

I've heard it stated this book is so bad that it actually ruins his first one. I would prefer not to read it.

Best place to start with Thomas Pynchon is either V. or The Crying of Lot 49, from what I am told. I've only read V. and Vineland thus far, plan on getting to the rest eventually.
Thats not good news.. Im going to start it this weekend.

The Search for Superstrings, Symmetry, and the Theory of Everything by John Gribbin. I already read his book In Search of Schrodinger's Cat and it's one of the best books I've ever read and really got me fascinated about quantum physics, which is a psychedelic experience learning about in itself.

Also reading Cosmos by Sagan which is pretty great so far.

And then On the Origin of Species which I haven't opened in awhile because it's an almost torturous read but I felt it was obligatory after a few of Dawkin's books, who if you have not checked him out I highly recommend The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution, it's fascinating throughout.

I'm also 1 chapter into 1984, but for some reason I feel like I've already read the book many times over.

Just started Native Son by Richard Wright.

Chipped away slowly at my last novel as other hobbies sort of took over, but I'm finally getting back into that literature grind.

Also, reading hardcore literature is a lonely fucking hobby, man. Good luck finding anybody to talk to IRL who has read a legitimate novel in the past year, lol.

Zero History by William Gibson of Neuromancer sci-fi fame

It starts so slowly, but I'm happy I stuck with it. But that was the first book of his (and I've read all the others) that I was just not interested in for awhile.

A Dean Koontz book something with night in the title but I forget

why does that name sound so familiar?? I have read a Dean Koontz book before. I forgot the name.. His books do that to the reader. lol

I am reading this:

uB6GY1W.jpg

Reading 'How Not To Be A Boy' by Robert Webb, already renewed once at the library
Maybe my middle-of-the-night insomnia, leading to reading to return to slumber, is anxiety about getting it back by the second return date this weekend & avoiding a massive five pence fine?

Enjoying the book nearly as much as I enjoy his classic comedy characters, though think his 'Jez' in 'Peep Show' is untoppable

Just finished reading "Gunpowder Moon"by David Pedreira. Fantasic sci fi set in the relatively near future after an apocalptic event. Humans are mining helium3 on the moon and a false flag style attempt at fomenting war between China and the US. Fantastic book, really had a sense of place and a great dark and lonely atmosphere. Seriously, I'd give it a 4/5 and highly recommend it. A unique story, or setting at least.

Currently, I am reading "Embers of War" by Gareth L. Powell. First part of a trilogy space opera set a couple of hundred years from now. Another unique story with some great science ideas and novel technology, I love space opera personally, and this has galactic war, genocide, and some cool aliens- all the ingredients you need. I'm loving this book; its told from the first person perspective of multiple characters as they converge towards a particular disastrous point in space and time. Excellent writing with proper, 3-dimensional characters. Again, check it out if you like sci-fi with a really epic scope.

I like the cover too:

30748899.jpg

^^ Gunpowder Moon sounds interesting. Will give it a crack.

Struggling to get into anything lately but have Christopher Moore's "Noir" at home and will be giving it a go this weekend.

^Definitely read it. It really conjurs up an intensely 'moony' atmosphere. I really enjoyed reading.

I'm getting close to the end of Ekhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" and it's a really good book.

Man, I truly believe that guy is enlightened and I'd easily take his sober state of mind over a lifetime supply of every drug in existence.

He seems, much like figures like Lao Tzu or The Dalai Lama, to really have figured out how to quell fear, depression and negative emotions and thoughts.

Meh, fear, depression and negative emotions aren't that big a deal to me but I still enjoy drugs.

Recently read Noir by Christopher Moore. Been meaning to read one of his novels for a while and the "Noir" title was too much to ignore. Set in San Francisco in the late 40s, it definitely had that hard-boiled, noir feel but is also very funny.

Currently reading the new Louis de Bernieres novel, So Much Left Over and so far, so good. Set in Ceylon and England between the wars, it's a bit of a family saga without much saga but lots of comical interactions between characters.