• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

The Satanic Witch by Anton Szandor LaVey. I'm re-reading it at the moment on page 60. Interesting perspective.

I'm getting close to the end of Ekhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" and it's a really good book.

Man, I truly believe that guy is enlightened and I'd easily take his sober state of mind over a lifetime supply of every drug in existence.

He seems, much like figures like Lao Tzu or The Dalai Lama, to really have figured out how to quell fear, depression and negative emotions and thoughts.

I read this years ago; definitely a good one to help you deal and gain perspective. Ultimately, I rekon you will write your own book someday - these people are great at helping you find perspective when you're lost. Read as much as you can to reach and develop yourself, mate. In good time, you will branch out and be Yourself again. <3

So "Life Left Over" was really good. Family saga from multiple points of view and some terrific and very funny characters. Definitely recommend when it comes out.

Currently reading the latest novel from my current favourite author, Patrick DeWitt. It's called French Exit and is about a well-to-do widow in her late sixties and her man-child son who escape New York to Paris when their money runs out. Another ripper from Mr DeWitt with marvellously flawed and wonderful characters that have me giggling all the way. I'm over half way through and already feeling sad that it will all be over soon.

Currently reading and very much enjoying two books.

First is 'Wonderful Life' by Stephen Jay Gould. A classic study of the weirldy anomalous Burgess shale fossils, and a very different (but relatively broadly accepted now) view of evolution. I do find his writing slightly dense; he tends to over describe, and uses too many words, and I find myself zoning out inconveniently but it is very informative and eye-opening.

The second book is 'Origin Story' by David Christian, an Australian academic writing about literally everything. He posits that modern society is lost because there is no clear origin story; we cannot know where we are going if we do not know from whjeer we came; and so he writes about the beginning and evolution of the universe, earth, life, etc. A lot I have read before in various other books but this is a refreshing look, and explained beautifully. Highly recommended if you enjoy science stuff.

Origin-Story-A-Big-History-of-Everything.jpg

So the new Patrick DeWitt, French Exit was as wonderful as his previous work. Extra highly recommend.

Currently reading forgotten classic Stoner by John Williams. So far so good.

Just finished "You were Never Really here" by Jonathan Ames. Ripper, noir novella that has apparently been made into a film, which is no surprise as it is punchy and has lots of atmosphere.

"Before They Were Hanged", the second book in the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. It's quite enjoyable. Recommended to me by swilow.

Shaun Attwood , Banged up abroad , read before but it's a really good read , True story of arrest and abuse a gangland drug lord gets banged up , wow does this book blow the American Judicial System out of the water !
Also Rafa Nadal bio as just been to Wimbledon centre court final ...

Currently alternating between It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (fascinating but depressing) and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson (fascinating but a little over my head).

How Language Works by David Crystal. Nice Penguin "Classic" paperback and very interesting read. Need I say what it is about?