• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Not a huge reader, but go on periodic binges where I read a few books in a month of so.

Currently I'm on a Dan Brown kick. About 3/4s though Inferno. Not as good as the Da Vinci Code, but good thriller with the whole 'history class's element. Having trouble completing it though as I've started to use again.

i really liked "inferno" and i loved "origin"

i'm listening to zero k audiobook , i have the gosh darn hard cover, epub, and m4b format. i never really meant for it to happen /me shrugs.

Dostoevsky - Brothers Karamazov

You want to talk DYSFUNCTIONAL families, ye gods.

Heller - Catch 22

Vonnegut - Slapstick

Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything

World War Z - Max Brooks
Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas - Tom Robbins
My Sisters Bones - Nuala Ellwood

Adding Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata to the mix.

greatly enjoyed this book.

The story is quite convoluted and at times silly but the majority of the book was a joy to read.

It has an 'Infinite Jest' quality to it and i felt a real kinship with the characters.

4.2 stars

Last edited:
8CR2cjO.jpg

I recently finished "The Ministry of Utmost Happiness" and this seems like a good follow-up.

8CR2cjO.jpg

I recently finished "The Ministry of Utmost Happiness" and this seems like a good follow-up.

Oh, oh oh!! I loved that book (The Ministry of Utmost Happiness) but it has gotten terrible reviews. I paid extra and got the audio read by the author on my kindle and to hear her read it was divine. Did you like it? (It's OK to disagree!;))

I recently finished reading "LSD - The Highway To Mental Health" (2009)* by Milan Hausner & Erna Segal.
*In Czech translated version: "LSD - Vyzkum a klinicka praxe za železnou oponou" (2016)
What was really inspiring and educating.

Now I'm going to read "The Varieties of Psychedelic Experience" (2000)* by Robert E. L. Masters & Jean Huston.
*In Czech translated version: "Druhy psychedelicke zkusenosti" (2004)

And I'm also reading "Poznas ten pribeh?" (2014)* by Peter Gregor (poems by local author).
*English translation: "Do you know that story?"

- MHF

Oh, oh oh!! I loved that book (The Ministry of Utmost Happiness) but it has gotten terrible reviews. I paid extra and got the audio read by the author on my kindle and to hear her read it was divine. Did you like it? (It's OK to disagree!;))

Yes, once i got into it i couldn't put it down; read about 150 pages one day, 300 or so the next.

It reminded me of 'Infinite Jest'. both books are extremely convoluted, contain absurd characters, deal with entertainment and addiction, and are filled with some incredible wit (among other things) .

I'll have to read it again to unearth any deeper elements. Now that I think of it. I wonder if this book was originally a lot longer and the publisher made her cut it down? highly recommend!

also, flipping through this:

GwuzmKD.jpg

Just starting this:

51qNpsgdjjL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I don't read fiction (which apparently makes me a sociopath). But anyway, interesting read so far.

The new American edition of In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts. I normally get a copy just for a new edition, but I wanted to compare the original with the American versions. It’s a lot more into the science, which is fun.

also, flipping through this:

GwuzmKD.jpg

How does it look? A lot of the mindfulness stuff on addiction I come across isn’t worth the paper it is written on, but I need to explore that subspecies of McMindfulness :)

What is that book about CH? Suggestions from literary types such as yourself I do appreciate :)

What is that book about CH? Suggestions from literary types such as yourself I do appreciate :)

A synopsis and brief extract from the novel, along with the novel's title, Inherent Vice, and dust jacket image, were printed in Penguin Press' Summer 2009 catalogue. The book was advertised by the publisher as "part-noir, part-psychedelic romp, all Thomas Pynchon—private eye Doc Sportello comes, occasionally, out of a cannabis haze to watch the end of an era as free love slips away and paranoia creeps in with the L.A. fog."

^ from wiki

it's like a stoner murder mystery, set in the 60's

that's as much as I could tell you thus far.

Start with Gravity's Rainbow if you are patient and can enjoy a good read.