• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants What are the consequences of meth? (opinions from users)

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I've been researching what is media exaggeration to try and keep people at bay from the drug, and what real users have found themselves to be struggling with after chronic use of the substance.

Has anyone noticed and specific negative consequences of their use--such as memory loss, permanent anhedonia (even after withdrawal phase), or etcetera? Or in almost all cases does one seem to recover in time? How has the substance changed your life for better and worse even socially/professionally? I think people should know about it because of how commonplace this heavy stimulant is becoming. I also am curious about how amphetamines true affect the brain. From what I gather so far, we do not entirely know the full consequences of methamphetamine so far.

The short term effects are pretty well identified. The way meth effects people overall is vastly different. There are so many variables that it is impossible to simply state that,

"meth use causes: x,y, and z."

Merh will almost certainly cause depression, anxiety, sleep issues, behavioural changes, and dehydration in any user, within a very short time.

It is entirely dependant on the user as to what effects may or may not happen over time. Abusing meth will usually have short term consequences that will resolve if the person stops but the longer they continue the cycle, the higher the risk of long term or permanent damage being done.

The human body is amazingly resilient and can recover from a lot of damage. So if a healthy person used meth recreationally and was reasonable about it, the chances are they would be fine for quite a while.

But meth is highly unpredictable. Its highly addictive and extremely disruptive to the life of any person using it. Basically, you wont really know how meth will effects you until you have experienced it personally.

The risk of meth use far outweighs the potential benefits. For most users, there is life before meth and then life after meth. It will change you somehow.

The negative consequences for me are pretty clear.

Meth makes me a loner and unsociable (because nobody else I know takes drugs I stick clear of them when high)

Meth affects my cognitive skills especially memory but also my ability to write (my job involves a lot of writing)

Meth makes me forget what rthe fuck I am supposed to be doing that day (this can occur multiple days in a row leading to very low professional productivity)

Meth makes me spend a lot of money chasing sex to mix with my meth

Meth has killed all of the veins in both my arms

Meth makes me unnaturally emotional and cry frequently during comedown (this is weird because often no context for crying)

Meth prevents treatment for my psychological / psychiatric problems working properly

Meth makes me immune to meth meaning I use over a gram a day (which is pointless and expensive but probably also physically dangerous)

Meth gives me a feeling of powerlessness because I cannot say no for verfy long (this is bad for my self-esteem)

Besides all of that I think its a wonder drug!

Meth makes me a loner and unsociable (because nobody else I know takes drugs I stick clear of them when high)

Meth affects my cognitive skills especially memory but also my ability to write (my job involves a lot of writing)

Meth makes me forget what rthe fuck I am supposed to be doing that day (this can occur multiple days in a row leading to very low professional productivity)

Meth makes me unnaturally emotional and cry frequently during comedown (this is weird because often no context for crying)

Meth prevents treatment for my psychological / psychiatric problems working properly

Meth makes me immune to meth meaning I use over a gram a day (which is pointless and expensive but probably also physically dangerous)

Meth gives me a feeling of powerlessness because I cannot say no for verfy long (this is bad for my self-esteem)

Sounds like it's not worth it in the grand scheme of things. I know it's so much better than adderall--but I'm just not down to cross the bridge into a portal I absolutely cannot close lol. Methamphetamine just goes to show that psychological addiction with stimulants is just as overwhelming if not more than physical dependency (like with something like benzos/opiates). A lot of people jump into dabbling with heavy stimulants unaware of how devastating the withdrawal can be. Even though it's mostly mental, it's definitely horrible enough to constantly promote relapsing. Anyway, I was just interested in what users had to say about it over the hysteria spoon-fed to the world by the general public. I've never known anything good to happen to anyone who has dived into meth use. In fact I've yet to know someone who hasn't ruined their life with it so far. I wonder if it is even more addicting than heroin actually. It's highly hedonistic and taboo in the area where I am located. If you disclose to people that you use hardcore stimulants they will instantly avoid you.

I used it for about 8 months back in 2005-2006. Strictly on weekends, Friday evening to Sunday evening, always snorted, and never more than like a piddly .2, if that, in one weekend.

I didn't eat properly during those weekends and lost 30lbs of weight (from about 160), even though I still kept working at my very physical construction job full time throughout.
Never mind that though......it caused anxiety problems during the high (like severe social anxiety) and these effects lingered for a few years after I stopped using.
My partner at the time who was using a lot more than me had full psychotic breaks on the regular.
The first time I got high was great (for the first like 8 hours) and then each first line felt nice for about an hour...but fuck, I think meth may be more a waste of time than coke, and that's saying something.

The sex was wikkid though!

You are probably aware but I gotta say it man...Using such a large amount on a daily basis is were you are going horribly wrong, my friend!

Meth should enhance focus and increase productivity if used properly. Focus based tasks are perfect for proper meth use. I used to double my work production on meth days and you could look at my reports and easily see which days I was high. Without meth it wasnt physically possible to do, literally.

You have certainly depleted you dopamine, so the positive effects that a person would usually experience are simply not a possibility for you. The fact that you become disorganized, lack focus, and struggle with writing are textbook examples of your dopamine depletion. Basically, as you continue using more meth, you are causing your brain to become tolerant to the massive influx of artificial dopamine, therefore causing your brain to cease its natural production. When you stop using meth it will take your brain much longer to turn back on its natural production, leaving you, for a period of time with no dopamine!! I hate to say it but that time is going to suck fat asshole, without a doubt. You will not be able to feel good and will face a rather sever depression....the good news is it wont last forever and your brain will reboot production as long as you dont use any meth at all. NONE. During the reboot period.

I strongly suggest you consider a break. It will only get worse and you are missing out on the good high anyway! I know it will suck but you can do it and you can find tons of support here on BL! Please, really think about it?

Lastly, if you make the right choice 😁 and take a break, be aware of the depression that will happen. It important to realize that your thoughts and feelings are not valid during this period! It helps to ignore the absurd thoughts that will come.

Pm me if you ever want to talk! I got some helpful tips

The whole addiction to certain chemicals and the physical withdrawls that tend to come with them varies from person to person. Hence there is no cure.
It has to be you vs you to cure. No other way around as of now in 2020.

You are probably aware but I gotta say it man...Using such a large amount on a daily basis is were you are going horribly wrong, my friend!

I strongly suggest you consider a break. It will only get worse and you are missing out on the good high anyway! I know it will suck but you can do it and you can find tons of support here on BL! Please,

Pm me if you ever want to talk! I got some helpful tips

Thanks for such supportive and helpful comments. I totally agree with you and i am in the process of quitting or at least taking a multi-month or year break.

The problem for me was chasing the IV rush rather than the productive benefits of the drug. I see that clearly now.

No ROA makes adderal comparable to meth.

Thats would be simlar to comparing...

Golf - putt-putt
MLB - little league baseball
Motorcycle - moped
Sex - spanking off

Ok I'm done lol

I feel like on 150-200mgs of adderall it would start to get meth-like in effects where one is just totally tweaked walking around paranoid and basically dysfunctional while thinking they're more functional than ever. Adderall is really powerful, it just doesn't seem to cross boundaries after a certain amount like a powerful drug like meth can. After a certain amount of adderall, there's no beneficial effects or in other words there is a threshold for how high you can get off of adderall. Seems like meth doesn't have that same ceiling really.

I'm not entirely sure how different/similar the two substances are but too many people agree that the substances are too similar but also too different. I don't think we have enough info on exactly how meth/stimulants in general effect the brain fully yet. Nobody wants to study how tweakers are affected by their livestyles. But meth is picking up and becoming almost as popular as opiates were 10 years ago. A lot of people are going to go through the longest periods of ahedonia. It's not a soft drug with minimal consequences and people always assume it makes them more functional. I think the real problem with meth abuse is that stimulants as powerful as meth are dangerous in behavior. People lose professional lives by saying some crazy shit or doing illegal things under the influence. I don't think many people can be functional under meth tbh, but so many people assume that they are "functional meth addicts."

I feel like on 150-200mgs of adderall it would start to get meth-like in effects where one is just totally tweaked walking around paranoid and basically dysfunctional while thinking they're more functional than ever. Adderall is really powerful, it just doesn't seem to cross boundaries after a certain amount like a powerful drug like meth can. After a certain amount of adderall, there's no beneficial effects or in other words there is a threshold for how high you can get off of adderall. Seems like meth doesn't have that same ceiling really.

I'm not entirely sure how different/similar the two substances are but too many people agree that the substances are too similar but also too different. I don't think we have enough info on exactly how meth/stimulants in general effect the brain fully yet. Nobody wants to study how tweakers are affected by their livestyles. But meth is picking up and becoming almost as popular as opiates were 10 years ago. A lot of people are going to go through the longest periods of ahedonia. It's not a soft drug with minimal consequences and people always assume it makes them more functional. I think the real problem with meth abuse is that stimulants as powerful as meth are dangerous in behavior. People lose professional lives by saying some crazy shit or doing illegal things under the influence. I don't think many people can be functional under meth tbh, but so many people assume that they are "functional meth addicts."

I feel you and I was just kinda being dumb. Since I use IV meth when i do use it hard to compare to anything really. Im sure other people with different ROAs feel differently.

Some people I have known are pretty well functional meth users. They are usually smokers which makes sense because the intake is more manageable. They are either the type of users who are responsible and dont use everyday or they do use everyday and the tolerance allows them to seem normal by eating and sleeping every night.

I have no desire to be a functional meth user. The consequences of long term use are no joke.

Psychosis, psychosis, psychosis. Daily high dose or occasional massive doses of meth will lead to that hell.

I feel you and I was just kinda being dumb. Since I use IV meth when i do use it hard to compare to anything really. Im sure other people with different ROAs feel differently.

Some people I have known are pretty well functional meth users. They are usually smokers which makes sense because the intake is more manageable. They are either the type of users who are responsible and dont use everyday or they do use everyday and the tolerance allows them to seem normal by eating and sleeping every night.

I have no desire to be a functional meth user. The consequences of long term use are no joke.

Almost everyone has said that they go back to normal within time. I'd imagine that that's not actually true though. I'm sure the anhedonia and depression goes away, but something has bound to be lost forever from abuse especially after an entire year. I'd suppose it also comes down to the quality of your stuff. Does purer product have less consequences?

I have noticed the most profound personality/behavioral changes in people, most all of the time, from chronic meth abuse compared to other drugs (with the exception sometimes of dissociatives), which begins quickly with daily use. The nature of the changes is remarkably similar between different individuals. When people stay up for days on end with a massive flood of dopamine added to it, psychosis will begin to result. Once you've become legitimately psychotic, it is much easier to get back there. Long-term abuse of meth leads to chronic psychosis, and difficulty returning from it even after stopping. My best friend was mostly psychotic for a year and a half and before that, was always a nice, kind person, who, even during heroin and separately, alcohol addiction, was always the same guy. In the depths of his meth addiction, I didn't even recognize him. He ended up on the street, conning everyone including me out of money, robbing people, digging under his floorboards because he was convinced "they" were digging tunnels underneath to spy on him, etc. When he finally went to in-patient rehab voluntarily, it took a year before he stopped being paranoid and realized that a lot of the stuff he thought happened to him did not actually happen. He's doing pretty well now, 2 and a half years later, but he's not quite the same. He's rebuilding though and he's back to his old nature, he just has sustained damage from chronic malnutrition and psychosis. He says he still doesn't feel recovered fully.

Last edited:
I've been researching what is media exaggeration to try and keep people at bay from the drug, and what real users have found themselves to be struggling with after chronic use of the substance.

Has anyone noticed and specific negative consequences of their use--such as memory loss, permanent anhedonia (even after withdrawal phase), or etcetera? Or in almost all cases does one seem to recover in time? How has the substance changed your life for better and worse even socially/professionally? I think people should know about it because of how commonplace this heavy stimulant is becoming. I also am curious about how amphetamines true affect the brain. From what I gather so far, we do not entirely know the full consequences of methamphetamine so far.
I noticed some definite anhedonia the first few days after getting clean following my first run with the stuff (6 years of use). But it clears up eventually.
Something that never went away though are the random episodes of social anxiety i get after a very bad acid trip i had in 1999. I didnt discover meth until the following year.

Since I've relocated, I've had the opportunity to observe the effects of methamphetamine among family friends and even relatives. A distant cousin of mine, who was locked up not long ago because he failed to appear in court, has been a paranoid schizophrenic since he started abusing meth years ago. He openly admits it has given him everlasting anxiety. Shows up to our house at strange hours of the night, occasionally because the police are after him, and even though I make attempts to accommodate his hunger and anxiety, he can't help but to treat me suspiciously. One night he kept asking me if he was safe, if there were invisible people with microphones around him. Says he hears clicks sometimes, like the shutter of an invisible cameraman. He says he sees ghosts and that he smells invisible naked women, hears them laughing at him with a lustful tone, and claims to have even had sex with a succubus multiple times.

He has kids he isn't there for, no job, and alienates the people around him with his delusions. It disheartens me because he genuinely is a nice guy who doesn't mean harm to anyone, but he is always trying to scrounge money for more meth because he says it aids him in his spiritual experiences. By all accounts he was a normal human being when he was younger.

He's only 32.

Whatever desire I may have ever had to experience meth has been completely crushed by my experience with him. Some meth users are functional, but most I see in my community have broken homes and impoverished mindsets. I hope he recovers soon, but he'll be playing spades in prison for the next 40 something days.

Edit: you can read this as a real consequences of paranoid schizophrenia post, but methamphetamine is deeply woven in his story.

Last edited:
People with ADD are usually able to handle daily use much much better than those without. It gives us all the positive effects of meth without going overboard into crazy town as fast.

I should clarify, meth is actually prescribed in some cases for ADD, but in very low doses (5mg pills). Used daily like that, without abuse, known dose, can be sustainable, like Adderall. But most people don't use it like thatt. In high dosages it's much, much different than in therapeutic dosages.