• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

we all need to quit drugs

I'm all for trying to persuade young people not to try drugs. I think we're actually doing OK with that? Us 80's babies had a higher percentage of users, binge drinkers, unprotected sex I believe. The scare tactics didn't work well on me so think that's the wrong way to go about it.

They need to start screening for kids in school who have the potensial of developing mental illness (even slight depression/anxiety) Was reading an article that mentioned a study where they did this and ran group sessions with the kids each week for a peroid of time to teach different skills - was a really good reduction in reports of mental illness compared to the control group.

Worth a read -
http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/the-secret-formula-for-resilience

Talks about how resilence is mainly about perception. If you frame your problem drug use as this disaster and some moral failing within yourself, it's not as easy to improve than if you look at it as a challenge that doesn't sum up you as a person. If you see the drugs or external factors at fault rather than it being something you have the ability to change yourself - would have thought it'd be counterproductive. After reading chugs post I can kind of see how it might be more helpful than getting too down on yourself about it - I guess that's how AA and such work (powerless to control ourselves etc.)

But, I'll finish with this! <point finger into the air bombastically> All all of these so-called "hard drugs" have despair, fear and the world of nightmare tangled in even their most innocuous facets! Let not ANY OF THEE think that the medicines called Heroin, Methamphetamyn, und Essence of Coca, are innocent! For we all know they are borne of the testicular orbs of Satan himself—perfect spheres of dark dream, revolving doors of misery... rolling stones of JAMMIN GOODNESS!

Uh... yes... the insanity ensures!!!

Indeed

Some people can't stop and by that time they do stop new people will have started so it can't really be done

I'm a meth user and yes it is fucked, yes I know I need to quit but I don't need judgmental crap on a drug forum site. There's enough of it everywhere else from people who don't use drugs and know nothing but are quick to call us all scumbags, thieves, losers and look down on us. By the way I have a good job, great house and car and I've never stolen or hurt anyone to support my habit.

By the way I have a good job, great house and car and I've never stolen or hurt anyone to support my habit.

You're not alone.

There are hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of Australian's who use drugs regularly and lead normal, responsible lives, being accountable, not hurting others and definitely not stealing.

Yet we are utterly alone in some ways, in the drug closet.

When I saw the 78s who fought for homesexuality to be made legal I was struck by how utterly similar the insults are to those leveled at drug users. How we're demonised with almost the same insults as the gays are. Its ironic but most of us didn't ask to be drug users. There is no choice for some of us which makes the struggle to be normal productive citizen all the more difficult.

I've suffered for decades as a hardcore drug user. I mean I take drugs like people take panadol and yet I've always had stable work, stable relationships and housing. I've never gotten into trouble. In fact I've succeeded with so many things in my life, juggled so many balls, drugs just being one of them and never dropped it. Taking drugs is an implicit part of me and my life. I don't have a problem with. I'm not in conflict with it. I don't wake up despairing thinking that i need to stop.

I don't like the toxic affect caused by the metabolite of opiates (that makes one 'dope sick') but i don't see 'dope sick' as some sort of karmic re-balancing a "you got so high you have to pay the price" bullshit that you hear from so many users and non-users alike.

I often find people arguing against the legalisation of drugs simply because people abuse prescription drugs (and their legal right and that's done nothing to stop drugs). The biggest root cause re problem drug user is a lack of education and knowledge. Our children are like lambs to the slaughter when we let them go into the wider world of misinformed unhappy people who happen to take drugs that they know very little about.

The legal drug dealers, the brewers and chemists actively lobby to ensure that their customers are misinformed and ignorant. Perhaps it encourages greater user/profit. Who knows but I always come back to the example of liver diseases and death going on right now I find it utterly laughable that the country has its knickers in the not about meth user when tens of thousands are dying from liver disease caused by paracetamol and alcohol.

If i had known as a young man not to mix panadeine forte with 200mls of Jim Bean i could have saved my liver from years of the toxic synergy caused by paracetamol and alcohol. I still cannot believe a panadol box doesn't have to carry the label "paracetamol becomes toxic to the liver when mixed with alcohol". And don't get me started about cigarettes and liver disease. Those two issues alone should have seen the drug dealers that are the cigarette companies, the brewers and drug companies see actual prison time.

Compare the hundreds of thousands who have been killed and maimed by these people to the extremely small fraction who have died from opiate overdoses and you'll wonder how it is we lock people up for life for a few bricks of heroin and these CEOs and their cronies walk free despite the blood on their hands.

So to stop rambling. We need to fight for our right to take drugs.

Unfortunately this means coming out of the drug closet like the 1978s did when they fought for their right for gay sex.

Course we are always going to be alone in the drug closet as you put it, you've only got to read a few comments on any social media site of what the majority of ppl think about our kind. It doesn't matter if you have a great job, friends, family etc you're still looked down on with suspicion and disgust by most ppl. I agree with what you say about prescription drugs and alcohol though, I'm not a fan of either actually, I don't drink alcohol it just does nothing for me. As for cigarettes I'm glad I gave those up many years ago they do more harm than anyone realizes.
Can't see anything changing anytime soon so the fight to take drugs will be ongoing.

CanberraCrack is in his late teens from memory, apologies if I'm wrong CC. At that age there was no stopping me doing whatever I wanted except police if they could catch me.....fucking glory days for me, Cannabis & LSD was something you lived on, barely paddled to catch the wave of Dutch pills that had you make love to a club toilet bowl for hours on end.......and that first shot of gak from our first cook had me repeat and refine that process.......the world was mine back then. But like the generation before me said "It was better in my day". Of course it was cos now the nazis aren't visible but they're all still here.

fuuuck that yo drugs r great if used responsibily i dont see my self quitting at any point in time you can speak for yourself dude haha fuck being sober all the time

It's interesting reading about the different experiences and lives of functional or mostly functional addicts vs outright junkies.

I wonder what all the factors are that lead some to one outcome and some to another. Different drugs of choice, different upbringings and life experiences, different personalities.

I am alas definitely a junkie. My heroin addiction has cost me an indescribable amount in my life, brought me to doing things I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for. My bf always says I'm the worst kind of person who could have discovered hard drugs. I usually retort is that those aspects of who I am are a big part of what lead me to drugs to start with.

Ive taken Canberracrack's advice and quit ALL drugs

Nah only kidding :p

It's interesting reading about the different experiences and lives of functional or mostly functional addicts vs outright junkies.

I wonder what all the factors are that lead some to one outcome and some to another. Different drugs of choice, different upbringings and life experiences, different personalities.

I am alas definitely a junkie. My heroin addiction has cost me an indescribable amount in my life, brought me to doing things I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for. My bf always says I'm the worst kind of person who could have discovered hard drugs. I usually retort is that those aspects of who I am are a big part of what lead me to drugs to start with.

I know there are many theories as to whether it is nature or nurture, sometimes it is a mix of both, sometimes it is just the result of one bad decision.

I have a good measure of ocd in my personality, however I was raised in an upper middle class family and have nothing but fond memories of my childhood.

There are certain substances I can control my use of and there are certain ones I cannot.

For me, as it seems for the vast majority heroin is one of the ones I cannot.

In my experience people are going to experiment and regardless of the reasons why they do this it is far better for them to have access to information that will help them do this in the safest way possible.

Trying to force prohibition on people has never worked and never will.

Discussing drug use in an open and honest manor is the best thing we can do.

To the original poster maybe give the crystal a break, get some sleep and you may have a less cynical outlook.

I actually like Canberracrackheads idea. Id get behind an Pauline Hanson style " i don't like it" drugs policy. No more doctors, pharmaceuticals,drugs of any sort. The whole thing is wrong and it stinks and I don't like it. Vote canberracrackhead #1!!!

the varied opinions in here are pretty normal about drug use, i guess going from being a regular BL'er to working full time in addiction settings i still believe the best way to do drugs is infrequently, we tend to miss some of the most illuminating experiences chasing annihilation/more=better yolo mentality.
as for pathways to addiction there are many factors which influence the uptake and continuation of use, trajectory into dependence and recovery from.
its pretty well detailed in the literature.
the whole functioning addict thing has always made me laugh, as its really an arbitrary distinction not to dissimilar to the whole what is a legal/illegal drug arbitrariness.

One thing we should consider though, even if it is a cyber troll- if someone decides to quit we should not ridicule them for that decision, otherwise we are complicit in the same kind of stigma that people who dont use substances can place upon users. just my 0.002c