• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants VYVANSE MEGATHREAD ⬅ your Vyvanse thread has been merged here

lol. vyanse.

all ya'll write like 5 too many sentences.

here is an angle you might not hear: "if you pay for your script cash. Good. if you pay for your script with insurance you pay for better. If you get free vyanse from medicaid well go fuck yourself for 2-3 years.

Yet, you cannot formulate one. 8)

I have to agree that Vyvanse unfortunately doesn't feel as tolerable as dexedrine ER/IR, or even adderall. It feels more anxiogenic to me than any other amp preparation. The only thing it really has going for it in my eyes is that it seems to last a bit longer than Adderall XR or Dex spansules.

I don't think it's trash, but I couldn't take it anywhere near a daily basis as I do with dexedrine.

With Aderrall IR, I'm going through my script too fast. Ugh, addiction sucks. I try to hold out and not take too many, but tolerance builds and your brain tells you "Take more!"
I feel like I'm not quite "myself" on it and I couldn't even enjoy the woods with my b/f because I was disconnected from nature and its beauty.

It turned on me eventually.

Today I took only half of a 12.5 mg IR pill and actually I feel fine! Not all tweaked out, but that's only because I'm not tempted with a full bottle since I'm down to only another half of pill and that's it. If I could keep a low dose like that, it would be great.

When I see the psychiatrist soon, I'm going to tell her not to write me another script for Adderall IR. Time to try something different. I don't know what though. At least it didn't make me paranoid at all like Vyvanse did. If you can't control your dosage, time to let it go, right? Time for me to anyway. I want to feel my spirit again.

How similar is Vyvanse to time release 12 hour Dexadrine and time release 12 hour Adderall?

I realized that either I'm pretty sensitive or my doctor prescribed too much cause he gave me 20mg instant release Adderalls and they started causing me to have really bad panic attacks (I should add that I did also experiment with doses as high as 40mgs).

I started cutting the pills into 4ths and halves and realized that the proper dose for me is really between 5-10mgs and anything more than that makes me freak the fuck out.

My friend suggested I try to get a prescription for the lowest milligram Vyvanse which is 10mg because it would slowly release into my system and be gentler but still give me energy so I'd like to try it, but my doctor thinks that (even though he's willing to prescribe it) my insurance might not cover it, which would mean that it would just be too expensive.

He's also willing to prescribe 12 hour time release Dexadrine and 12 hour time release Adderall, both of which my insurance will pay for, and so next time I see him if I find out my insurance won't pay for the Vyvanse I'm going to try for one of those.

How different really are the effects of Vyvanse from a similar mg dosage of time release Dexadrine or time release Adderall?

Would they be fairly comparable and probably able to give somewhat similar, gentler but more consistent results with those dosages rather that would be less likely to cause anxiety than the full blast of instant release 20-40mg Adderalls which cause me to have panic attacks??

20 mg IR Adderall is a really high starting dose! No wonder you freaked out. I have 12.5 mg IR pills. Ask your doc for 5 mg IR pills next time, that's the lowest dose.

Vyvanse made me paranoid so if you do try that one and see any signs of paranoia, stop using it.

I can't sort through your other posts right now, but PLEASE stop drinking so much coffee with the Adderall. It's a very dangerous combination with all that caffeine.

No Adderall today, but I feel even better than I did while on it because of Adrafinil. I had some 300 mg caps left from many months ago. Took one of those and I feel clear-headed and with clean, smooth energy. Not hopped up like Adderall.

I told my b/f I'm quitting and he's supportive which is wonderful. I was afraid of losing him because I was so used to getting my personality and motivation from a drug.

Not going to demonize Adderall because it worked really well until it didn't. Just please be sure to recognize when there are more negatives than positives on it: like constantly feeling the need to increase dose and chase that feeling you had at the beginning. Only the negatives will become more apparent like irritability, feeling cold/angry towards people and your significant other, low sex drive, not wanting to eat all day or exercise like you should, feeling disconnected from the world around you, wanting to isolate more.

Just be careful guys. <3

Do people find vyvanse (or any Rx amphetamine) more therapeutic if used daily as prescribed or like doubling doses a few days of the month and taking a few days off?

As I posted above, vyvanse doesn't last long enough for me and I often feel compelled to redose in the afternoon. Considering creating a regimen of mostly 1 capsule/day, 2 capsules/day for like 4 days, and 4 days off to reset. idk, just thinking

Congrats CoastTwoCoast! I know what you mean and it's a big step telling your psychiatrist you no longer want the meds. Takes a strong person.

Do people find vyvanse (or any Rx amphetamine) more therapeutic if used daily as prescribed or like doubling doses a few days of the month and taking a few days off?

As I posted above, vyvanse doesn't last long enough for me and I often feel compelled to redose in the afternoon. Considering creating a regimen of mostly 1 capsule/day, 2 capsules/day for like 4 days, and 4 days off to reset. idk, just thinking

I find that taking my PRESCRIBED dose only when needed is the best route. So 1-2 times a week. Best way to keep tolerance down. Doubling doses will eventually lead you on to more and more, as well as taking it daily will lead to tolerance.

Just my experience. Many will disagree.

Congrats CoastTwoCoast! I know what you mean and it's a big step telling your psychiatrist you no longer want the meds. Takes a strong person.

Thank you. I think it's just realizing you can't live that way anymore. The scary thing is when you start to believe your identity is in the pill and you feel like you can't live without it. Something in my spirit said "That pill is NOT your identity! Your identity comes from God."

I believe that's why people stay a slave to Adderall for too long and even kill themselves when they can no longer get it because their entire identity is wrapped up in it. I hope people know there are other options. That's why I've been mentioning Adrafinil. It really helped after quitting. There were absolutely no withdrawals.

I laugh without it feeling forced, it's genuine. I look in the mirror and see myself again. I'm not all frowned up like on Adderall because I was constantly over-analyzing everything. I feel my spirit again. There is freedom on the other side for those who feel stuck and desperate on it. That's all. Thanks again.

I have to agree that Vyvanse unfortunately doesn't feel as tolerable as dexedrine ER/IR, or even adderall. It feels more anxiogenic to me than any other amp preparation. The only thing it really has going for it in my eyes is that it seems to last a bit longer than Adderall XR or Dex spansules.

I don't think it's trash, but I couldn't take it anywhere near a daily basis as I do with dexedrine.

The weird thing is that most other people seem to be saying that Vyvanse is LESS anxiogenic than Dex or Adderall.

That's the reason I'm interested in trying it, cause everyone says it is smoother.

20 mg IR Adderall is a really high starting dose! No wonder you freaked out. I have 12.5 mg IR pills. Ask your doc for 5 mg IR pills next time, that's the lowest dose.

Vyvanse made me paranoid so if you do try that one and see any signs of paranoia, stop using it.

I can't sort through your other posts right now, but PLEASE stop drinking so much coffee with the Adderall. It's a very dangerous combination with all that caffeine.

Really? Why? You think it can cause heart attacks or strokes or something?

Cause my doctor said not to be too concerned about the combo of coffee and Adderall, but I do notice how much anxiety I get when I combine a lot of caffeine with it.

Actually, I really want to use Dex/Adderall or Vyvanse to cut down on or quit coffee. Some might say it is odd logic, but I used Dex to quit coffee many years ago but eventually got addicted to coffee again, and me personally, I think I am better off without drinking coffee cause of my anxiety.

Then again, I don't know if I can believe everything this doctor says, cause he said Adderall doesn't increase blood pressure or heart rate, but I have a hard time believing that can possibly be true, but he's a very legit doctor who's be known in his field for years, so I have a hard time believing he could be wrong.

So do people REALLY feel like Vyvanse is "smoother" and less anxiety-producing than Dexadrine and Adderall?

I know I don't like Adderall very much now and react better to Dexadrine, but Vyvanse sounds interesting, so I can't decide what I should ask for this month.

The other thing I want to know is: do Adderall and other related stimulants cause really bad withdrawal symptoms?

i mean I shouldn't be asking people who aren't doctors because my doctor already told me last month before he prescribed me Adderall that they don't usually, and that he knows people who have taken them regularly for years and gotten off without withdrawal, but a friend of mine told me that even though they don't usually cause real withdrawal, that you can have a few days of lethargy after you stop if you've been using too much.

I've been using about 5mgs of Adderall about twice a day 5 days a week for the last month, so will I likely get bad lethargy when stopping?

I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad right?

But I'm still most of all wondering whether or not I'm going to want Vyvanse or Dexadrine this month, since my doctor will give me either, and I know what Dex dosage works for me, whereas I have never even tried Vyvanse, but it sounds very promising.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Then again, I don't know if I can believe everything this doctor says, cause he said Adderall doesn't increase blood pressure or heart rate, but I have a hard time believing that can possibly be true, but he's a very legit doctor who's be known in his field for years, so I have a hard time believing he could be wrong.

Amphetamines absolutely can increase HR and BP. It increases mine significantly.

So do people REALLY feel like Vyvanse is "smoother" and less anxiety-producing than Dexadrine and Adderall?

I know I don't like Adderall very much now and react better to Dexadrine, but Vyvanse sounds interesting, so I can't decide what I should ask for this month.

The other thing I want to know is: do Adderall and other related stimulants cause really bad withdrawal symptoms?

i mean I shouldn't be asking people who aren't doctors because my doctor already told me last month before he prescribed me Adderall that they don't usually, and that he knows people who have taken them regularly for years and gotten off without withdrawal, but a friend of mine told me that even though they don't usually cause real withdrawal, that you can have a few days of lethargy after you stop if you've been using too much.

I've been using about 5mgs of Adderall about twice a day 5 days a week for the last month, so will I likely get bad lethargy when stopping?

But I'm still most of all wondering whether or not I'm going to want Vyvanse or Dexadrine this month, since my doctor will give me either, and I know what Dex dosage works for me, whereas I have never even tried Vyvanse, but it sounds very promising.

Thanks.

It's very individual but some people do not tolerate the levoamphetamine in adderall very well. Dex is what it is, dextroamphetamine and it's more euphoric. The levo can contribute to a lot of the anxiety and negative cardiovascular effects of adderall. Personally I like dexadrine but do not like vyvanse. Vyvanse is a bit up and down and I don't really feel it. But if I'm being honest with myself Vyvanse is probably the better actual treatment for adhd. If I would have started out initially with vyvanse I believe I would like it a lot more. My reasoning for preferring adderall is I can get in and out quick and not have a lingering med in my system. I like to be able to get done what I need then it be out of my system, because sometimes I take the med at different times of the day. I also don't get any anxiety from adderall though, if anything it's the opposite it relives me of any anxiety.

You are on such a low dose that you probably wouldn't experience much withdrawal at all. It also depends what you consider withdrawal. Because physically there are no symptoms, but the mental aspect sucks. You will probably be a little more tired/brain fog and get the urge to take a dose.

Really? Why? You think it can cause heart attacks or strokes or something?

Cause my doctor said not to be too concerned about the combo of coffee and Adderall, but I do notice how much anxiety I get when I combine a lot of caffeine with it.

Actually, I really want to use Dex/Adderall or Vyvanse to cut down on or quit coffee. Some might say it is odd logic, but I used Dex to quit coffee many years ago but eventually got addicted to coffee again, and me personally, I think I am better off without drinking coffee cause of my anxiety.

Your doctor is wrong, Adderall absolutely does increase blood pressure and heart rate. It can cause heart attacks, strokes and death. You drink way too much coffee with it, especially since you're noticing it's making you anxious. It's bad for your heart. Do your own research on your medicines to be safe. Look out for yourself. I don't trust your doctor at all.
He's giving you wrong information.

From this site:

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/adderall-effects-on-body#1

"Stimulants can make your blood vessels constrict, raise your blood pressure, and make your heart beat faster. In some cases, Adderall can cause further interference with your blood circulation. Your toes and fingers may become numb, or start to hurt. They may even turn blue or red.

Serious side effects of Adderall include heart attack and stroke. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, or fainting. Adderall can lead to sudden death in people with preexisting heart conditions."

IS IT SAFE TO MIX CAFFEINE AND ADDERALL?

"Although ingesting a small amount of caffeine with Adderall is unlikely to be harmful, mixing these two stimulant drugs is not a good idea.

If you or your child has a prescription for Adderall, it?s best to limit your caffeine intake, as it will intensify unpleasant side effects. Each substance can cause nervousness and jitteriness. Each can interfere with sleep, so taking them together can lead to a serious case of insomnia. Try switching to decaffeinated versions of coffee, tea, and cola.

This combination of drugs can be especially harmful if you have pre-existing heart disease, high blood pressure, or an anxiety disorder.

If you use Adderall for nonmedical purposes, you?re probably taking a large dose and endangering your health, whether you take it with caffeine or not. To avoid symptoms of withdrawal, taper off slowly and see your doctor."

Thanks.

Well, one thing I've learned long ago is that you cannot trust everything a doctor says. Adderall withdrawals were awful for me. During past experiences going through withdrawals: I was irritable, depressed, couldn't get out of bed, no energy or motivation whatsoever, felt like a shell
of a human being. It has you questioning your own identity. You feel lost without it. It's psychological too because you crave the drug. There probably are some people who don't have a bad withdrawal experience, but it can be debilitating for a lot of people. It's probably another reason people are afraid to quit.

When I kicked Adderall, Adrafinil (Modafinil) stopped all withdrawals. Adderall depletes dopamine after a while and Adrafinil gave me the dopamine I needed to have energy, focus and a good mood to keep going. So ordering Adrafinil is an option if you have bad withdrawals. Find a quality source and start low, 100-300 mg.
Adrafinil is something I'm taking temporarily to function until I see my psychiatrist next week and switch to something else.

Vyvanse made me paranoid and caused amphetamine psychosis so be on the look out for paranoia with stimulants. I'm done with stimulants now.

Just to be clear: I'm talking about ordering Adrafinil for stimulant withdrawals which is legal and a prescription isn't needed. Modafinil/Provigil is the prescribed version and better for your liver, but surprise surprise, my insurance doesn't cover it.

Last edited:
Your doctor is wrong, Adderall absolutely does increase blood pressure and heart rate. It can cause heart attacks, strokes and death. You drink way too much coffee with it, especially since you're noticing it's making you anxious. It's bad for your heart. Do your own research on your medicines to be safe. Look out for yourself. I don't trust your doctor at all.
He's giving you wrong information.

From this site:

https://www.healthline.com/health/adhd/adderall-effects-on-body#1

"Stimulants can make your blood vessels constrict, raise your blood pressure, and make your heart beat faster. In some cases, Adderall can cause further interference with your blood circulation. Your toes and fingers may become numb, or start to hurt. They may even turn blue or red.

Serious side effects of Adderall include heart attack and stroke. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, or fainting. Adderall can lead to sudden death in people with preexisting heart conditions."

IS IT SAFE TO MIX CAFFEINE AND ADDERALL?

"Although ingesting a small amount of caffeine with Adderall is unlikely to be harmful, mixing these two stimulant drugs is not a good idea.

If you or your child has a prescription for Adderall, it?s best to limit your caffeine intake, as it will intensify unpleasant side effects. Each substance can cause nervousness and jitteriness. Each can interfere with sleep, so taking them together can lead to a serious case of insomnia. Try switching to decaffeinated versions of coffee, tea, and cola.

This combination of drugs can be especially harmful if you have pre-existing heart disease, high blood pressure, or an anxiety disorder.

If you use Adderall for nonmedical purposes, you?re probably taking a large dose and endangering your health, whether you take it with caffeine or not. To avoid symptoms of withdrawal, taper off slowly and see your doctor."

I don't know how my doctor could have said what he said.

That being said, I think I'll be ok because 1) I don't take large doses of Adderall 2) I don't want to keep using it anyway and want to switch to Vyvanse 3) I want to cut down on caffeine as well.

And I think in order for it to cause deaths and heart attacks and strokes you'd have to take more than I do, which is never more than 5mgs in a 4 hour period. You have to realize that my caffeine tolerance is MASSIVE and for me 2 1/2 cups is probably equal to like one for you, and I'm a healthy guy, so I do not believe at those doses I am at any risk for what you are talking about, just anxiety and not feeling good.

It upsets me he'd say what he said when I know that's not true, and he's a good doctor so why on earth would he say such a thing?

I mean is it possible for a doctor to be good in one way and not in others and be wrong about such simple info?

he's been doing surgeries of all kinds on people for his whole career of like 40 years and is a legit doctor, so why would he say these things that are clearly wrong?

Last edited:
Well, one thing I've learned long ago is that you cannot trust everything a doctor says. Adderall withdrawals were awful for me. During past experiences going through withdrawals: I was irritable, depressed, couldn't get out of bed, no energy or motivation whatsoever, felt like a shell
of a human being. It has you questioning your own identity. You feel lost without it. It's psychological too because you crave the drug. There probably are some people who don't have a bad withdrawal experience, but it can be debilitating for a lot of people. It's probably another reason people are afraid to quit.

When I kicked Adderall, Adrafinil (Modafinil) stopped all withdrawals. Adderall depletes dopamine after a while and Adrafinil gave me the dopamine I needed to have energy, focus and a good mood to keep going. So ordering Adrafinil is an option if you have bad withdrawals. Find a quality source and start low, 100-300 mg.
Adrafinil is something I'm taking temporarily to function until I see my psychiatrist next week and switch to something else.

Vyvanse made me paranoid and caused amphetamine psychosis so be on the look out for paranoia with stimulants. I'm done with stimulants now.

Just to be clear: I'm talking about ordering Adrafinil for stimulant withdrawals which is legal and a prescription isn't needed. Modafinil/Provigil is the prescribed version and better for your liver, but surprise surprise, my insurance doesn't cover it.

Well, thanks for scaring me both on account 1) of making me think I'll get Adderall WD which I DON'T believe I will and 2) telling me how bad Vyvanse was for you.

Of course, you were just telling the truth in terms of your story, but I doubt I'll get bad Adderall WD and I DO believe my doctor that FOR MOST people it probably doesn't cause WD if you've only been taking it like a month.

I will get Adrafanil if I feel I need it but for .e personally, I took Adrafanil before and also did not like the side effects or how it made me feel, and it felt weaker than caffeine also.

Bu t I bet that I won't and expect I won't have more than maybe a small amount of lethargy for a couple days max.

I mean, I've only been using it for a month.

Last edited:
Amphetamines absolutely can increase HR and BP. It increases mine significantly.

It's very individual but some people do not tolerate the levoamphetamine in adderall very well. Dex is what it is, dextroamphetamine and it's more euphoric. The levo can contribute to a lot of the anxiety and negative cardiovascular effects of adderall. Personally I like dexadrine but do not like vyvanse. Vyvanse is a bit up and down and I don't really feel it. But if I'm being honest with myself Vyvanse is probably the better actual treatment for adhd. If I would have started out initially with vyvanse I believe I would like it a lot more. My reasoning for preferring adderall is I can get in and out quick and not have a lingering med in my system. I like to be able to get done what I need then it be out of my system, because sometimes I take the med at different times of the day. I also don't get any anxiety from adderall though, if anything it's the opposite it relives me of any anxiety.

You are on such a low dose that you probably wouldn't experience much withdrawal at all. It also depends what you consider withdrawal. Because physically there are no symptoms, but the mental aspect sucks. You will probably be a little more tired/brain fog and get the urge to take a dose.

Thanks.

Yeah I very much doubt I'll get any real WD from the Adderall or much lethargy.

It still seems like MOST people seem to be saying that Vyvanse is the one with the fewest side effects cause it is the most gradual throughout your body, so I'm thinking that's what I'll go for, but I'm still having trouble deciding between that and very low dose 5mg Dex pills which have worked for me in the past.

But even those have some side effects I don't like, and I'm thinking Vyvanse may have even fewer, so I think I may try that.

I do also like the ability to have doses that can last a shorter amount of time, but on the other hand, for someone like me there may be less abuse potential in terms of redosing with Vyvanse, plus, I struggle with my sleep schedule and sticking to a regular wake up time and bed time, so in a way Vyvanse could help for me cause I'd be afraid to take it too late and have trouble sleeping at night, so I'd probably wake up earlier to take it and be sure it wears off before bed time.

On the other hand, you say it could linger in the system more cause it lasts longer, but I'm not sure that's true, since it also moves through the system more gradually which is why it is supposed to leave less of a crash, and my brother said he got no Vyvanse crash like he does with Dex or Adderall, and less crash should = more natural sleep afterwards I'd think.

Guys, I'm still having trouble deciding whether to ask my psychiatrist tomorrow for Vyvanse or Dexadrine.

Adderall gave me way too many side effects, and I know from experience that 5mg dexadrine works well for me (I'm sensitive to stimulants), though it has SOME side effects, but a lot of people I know are making me think that Vyvanse might be better because they say it has the fewest side effects for them, though some other people on here have said they got more side effects from Vyvanse.

Most of all, I just want whichever will give me the least amount of jitteriness and anxiety and be the smoothest.

And how long do most people find Vyvanse lasts for them?

Cause some people say it lasts only 6 hours for them or 8 hours but it's generally listed as lasting 10-12 hours.

Thanks

Last edited:
Guys, I'm still having trouble deciding whether to ask my psychiatrist tomorrow for Vyvanse or Dexadrine.

Adderall gave me way too many side effects, and I know from experience that 5mg dexadrine works well for me (I'm sensitive to stimulants), though it has SOME side effects, but a lot of people I know are making me think that Vyvanse might be better because they say it has the fewest side effects for them, though some other people on here have said they got more side effects from Vyvanse.

Most of all, I just want whichever will give me the least amount of jitteriness and anxiety and be the smoothest.

And how long do most people find Vyvanse lasts for them?

Cause some people say it lasts only 6 hours for them or 8 hours but it's generally listed as lasting 10-12 hours.

Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to give Vyvanse a go next. All you can do is try it out and if you don't like it, switch to something else. Again, I'm sorry for making you nervous. I have anxiety too, it's not fun. So you've only been taking Adderall for a month? You should be fine. I had been on Adderall IR since February at least so yeah, the withdrawals and side effects became worst in my case.

I wouldn't be too nervous about withdrawals, especially if you don't abuse amphetamine recreationally. You sound like you are on a low dose. If you take it every day for a couple months or more, then you may notice you feel a little sad for a day or two when you stop. This feeling goes away relatively quickly with rest and is not typically painful or uncomfortable like an opiate or sedative withdrawal.

It sounds like Vyvanse may be worth trying for you. Although I didn't like it much, I didn't feel like it had a crash either. If you decide to go back to something else, perhaps dexedrine spansules (extended release) may help bring you down more gently. If you have instant release, some people find that taking half a pill for the last dose helps to mitigate it.

In my experience, crashes become rare as I get used to the medicine. I take intuniv (guanfacine) and this seems to help make the medication smoother as well. Supplementing magnesium may not make a difference but it doesn't hurt. By far the two most important things are making sure I eat and stay hydrated even if I don't feel like it.