• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

TOOL / Alex Grey / Ani-Matrix / Family Guy / ?

yougene

Bluelighter
I'm aware that alot of people have experienced the psychoactive nature of the works of Tool and Alex Grey while tripping and not. They really seem to take it to a whole other level compared to some of the other psychedelic art like Larry Carlson(who is awesome as well). I was surprised to find that the Ani-Matrix and even Family Guy have the same qualities as Tool and Grey which really pop out while tripping. Which leads me to wonder what else is out there of the same calibur and nature?

Any thoughts, affirmations, or suggestions?

Last edited:
Family Guy

I kind of understand all the other, but this show really strikes me as the most arbitrary and cheap comedy. Reminds me of attention deficiency or maybe a pot high rather than a psychedelic experience. Though tripping might of course mean random and anarchistic association occasionally... But there's a whole bunch of meaningful stuff in cinema, but for some reason I can't really point anything specific out now.

you do know that alex grey did tools artwork right? alex gray's the shit.
Transfigurations.jpg

I remember an Aeon Flux episode from a long time ago called "The Demiurge" that I remember specifically because of its Alex Grey-like imagery. Peter Chung also did the last story in The Animatrix, though I think you're probably thinking of the end of Second Renaissance if I recall that correctly (its been years). In cinema Tarkovsky comes to mind, though more in meaning than in imagery. I enjoy Family Guy, but other than its occasionally jarring abstraction I don't see anything psychedelic or like Alex Grey in it. Do you have a particular example from it in mind?

Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal explodes out of the TV screen when on psychedelics. Can be quite overwhelming at times.8o

Can you expand on what exactly you find in Family Guy while tripping? I love the show, I've never watched it tripping, but I just can't imagine the value of it compared to the others. The only thing I can imagine is it being a sarcastic, cynical parody of America...?

Family Guy
It's hard to completely deconstruct the experience. The easiest way for me to put it is it manifests itself as double entandres and a layering of signifiers and referents. Basically it comes off as a cosmic inside joke. It really doesn't seem like much and I was surprised at the complexity of the layering but then again TOOL isn't really what it seems on the surface either.

If you've experienced any of these during a peak experience you probably know what I'm talking about.

I laugh my ass off watching family guy tripping, but it has no spiritual aspect to it.

This sage francis video is set to the works of alex grey and other good psychedelic artists. I am not a fan of the song (the only sage I havent enjoyed), but the art is incredible!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9VL0mB8ILeo

Futurama makes for um, 'interesting' viewing

willow11 said:
Futurama makes for um, 'interesting' viewing
I remebr when they ahd a back to back episode, first one beinga bout the paralal universe in the box, and the second being about the psychoactive honey. I was on like 4 hits of blotter and smoked some weed right befor them, for that entire hour I was just lost and confused adn those episodes REALY scared me.

but futurama > cartoons.

Youkai said:
but futurama > cartoons.

NO WAY!! *goes to watch Pocahontas*

Seriously though? I find futurama difficult to enjoy.

Family guy is the most bearable of these.

^^try the discovery or national geographic channels, it is far more interesting than the dreck that is most american tv.

Last edited:
Youkai said:
I remebr when they ahd a back to back episode, first one beinga bout the paralal universe in the box, and the second being about the psychoactive honey. I was on like 4 hits of blotter and smoked some weed right befor them, for that entire hour I was just lost and confused adn those episodes REALY scared me.

but futurama > cartoons.

I remember the one about parallel universes, I was on LSD at the time, it had me in histerics

LSD + N20+ Futurama= me almost vomting with laughter at the absurd reality of the show, something I could never recapture. That said, I'd had the same reaction to Neighbours just before that..... Meh :)

Family Guy tries too hard to come off as an inside-joke to pop/80s and obscure references.

"ha ha, look at us, we are so witty with our obscure 80s pop reference, lets toss 50 of them into one episode"

Dont get me wrong, I still watch the show and find it funny (but it has gone downhill the last while), but to think its some sort of 'big cosmic inside joke' while tripping just seems a bit silly.

If I'm going to be watching something on TV while tripping, its going to be something far more interesting and deep than family guy.

You know, thats one 'thing' with psychedelics - they seem to make you think that EVERYTHING is steeped with inner deep cosmic meaning. I recall getting a bit annoyed one trip because I couldnt even blink without that blink seeming to cause some 'great mystic insight' - some times blinking your eyes is simply blinking your eyes, and you know? family guy is just pop-trash comedy TV that is good for a few laughs.

On a somewhat related note, I recall being on 4 hits of LSD with some friends. I decided to go outside for a few hour walk, when I got back in, they were watching South Park, with the Paris Hilton vs Mr Slave slut-off contest. I got in just as Mr. Slave was fitting paris hilton up his ass, you know, the last thing i want to see when frying on 4 his is Mr. Slave fitting paris hilton up his ass, I simply left the room, for some reason they thought it was the funniest shit ever, and actually got a bit pissed off at me for going to the bedroom to be alone.