• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Today I am Thankful 4 Vs. Just when you think it can't get no better, then it does!

I'm thankful in spite of horrible shit happening around him, all though I have shielded him from most of it, that my son seems to be ok

Thankful for having had good days, although quite busy ones. I'm glad I'm doing therapy again. This doctor is only person I can talk too so freely.
I wish I could be like that with my colleagues, my family. It's priceless to be able to be yourself and don't feel bad about it.

For my daughter, for her presence in our lives for my son and his perseverance and for knowing there are still respect and love within all of us.

So very grateful for my loving husband who is such an amazing person, my parents who are my rock, and kitties. I am so fortunate for my family.

So very grateful for my loving husband who is such an amazing person, my parents who are my rock, and kitties. I am so fortunate for my family.
Way cool. Me too! Always stuck with me even though I'm the black sheep causing them headaches.

^ and ^^ yes to family! My son will be home soon from his amazing travels and I can't wait. I think that kid has climbed every volcano in Central America by now. Can't wait to sit outside by the fire and hear his stories. And my mom just continues to lead the way at 86.

@Muzda--I think the predominance here on BL of familial black sheep makes us the norm!

^ and ^^ yes to family! My son will be home soon from his amazing travels and I can't wait. I think that kid has climbed every volcano in Central America by now. Can't wait to sit outside by the fire and hear his stories. And my mom just continues to lead the way at 86.

@Muzda--I think the predominance here on BL of familial black sheep makes us the norm!
You know what, I was thinking the same thing earlier, what a wonderful thing the Internet is, to allow all us black sheep to come together.

It's interesting to see how some of us feel renegated by our own families or like you mentioned above the black sheep.

I understand families who target some of their own as black sheep because of your problems. And bc of all the issues you might have caused them during some periods of time. What I find particularly difficult to relate is to families that have a long memory. Those that need a problem so they can excuse theirs. While some families can be all we have, unfortunately some others can be all we don't need to have as they spread segregation between themselves. But you must Keep in mind the good moments, try to understand them and forgive all they ever did that made you feel small and hurt. The best way to deal with it imho is to live a good life the best way you can, feel good and proud of who you are. Time has a way to fix things.

At some point we make our own families and those are the ones that will be there for you on the same way you would be for them. That love is the one I feel is worth fighting for. And with time you'll build your own life and will probably avoid repeating some of the things that have hurt you some day. That's all it matters. To feel good about ourselves regardless of our faults or past and to find the strength to move on.

It's interesting to see how some of us feel renegated by our own families or like you mentioned above the black sheep.

I understand families who target some of their own as black sheep because of your problems. And bc of all the issues you might have caused them during some periods of time. What I find particularly difficult to relate is to families that have a long memory. Those that need a problem so they can excuse theirs. While some families can be all we have, unfortunately some others can be all we don't need to have as they spread segregation between themselves. But you must Keep in mind the good moments, try to understand them and forgive all they ever did that made you feel small and hurt. The best way to deal with it imho is to live a good life the best way you can, feel good and proud of who you are. Time has a way to fix things.

At some point we make our own families and those are the ones that will be there for you on the same way you would be for them. That love is the one I feel is worth fighting for. And with time you'll build your own life and will probably avoid repeating some of the things that have hurt you some day. That's all it matters. To feel good about ourselves regardless of our faults or past and to find the strength to move on.
Well said. I'm lucky enough to have a family that doesn't have a long memory. It's me who considers myself the black sheep, they're all nice normal middle classers, whilst I was the one and only wild child. The difference in the way I live compared to them is a gulf. As far as I've fallen when I've fucked up (always hard drugs related), they've always picked me up, given me a bollocking, then all is forgotten.

Like you say though, you got to build your own family. I'm lucky that my kids and I are real close, and the older they get, the more I realise how lucky I am to have them. I realise that's pretty much all life is about. Plus I got my collection of black sheep friends who are like my extended family. We need these people in our lives, or it's a sad life indeed.

My Mother's family is toxic and the damage done to her is devestating. I was never close to them as a child, and as an adult the only contact I've had with them is to tell them to back off my Mom, and yet she continues to go back every few years after the dust settles. I listen and support my Mom whenever she needs it. My Mom is sensitive and her family is very critical so it never seems to end well. They just got back in touch a few weeks ago and I'm hoping maybe this time will be decent as everyone is older. I know it would mean the world to my Mom. I have never been able to wrap my brain around families that thrive on drama - that would be a nightmare.

My Mother's family is toxic and the damage done to her is devestating. I was never close to them as a child, and as an adult the only contact I've had with them is to tell them to back off my Mom, and yet she continues to go back every few years after the dust settles. I listen and support my Mom whenever she needs it. My Mom is sensitive and her family is very critical so it never seems to end well. They just got back in touch a few weeks ago and I'm hoping maybe this time will be decent as everyone is older. I know it would mean the world to my Mom. I have never been able to wrap my brain around families that thrive on drama - that would be a nightmare.
I shall keep everything crossed.

It seems I have a lot in common with your mother! I read your post and it seemed as if my daughter were writing this about me. There are good moments though. I truly hope I can come to terms with them for longer periods of time, not only a couple of months here and then. I'm so glad I have my own family who I can count with, and like you I can listen and support them - all the time.

Reconnecting with old really close friends also is really nice too. That's definitely what I'm grateful for (mostly) today, tomorrow who knows.

So thankful for my beautiful, wonderful, African princess. A more fabulous girlfriend I could not have. :)

^ I find the landscape in Colorado very beautiful - with all the mountains.

I am thankful for having found some peace in myself, to have come closer to my wife, and most importantly for realizing that my life can be imperfect as long as I'm engaged. Trying to be someone to my children, myself! Even if all I can given them is a loving caring dad and being that person who is always there for them whether we are studying and playing together. Talking and listening. I feel life is changing and I'm noticing that every moment counts, how important it is to listen and really care about the well being of the group more than the individual problems, more life with them and just and only the necessary time at work.