• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

The worst opiate/opiod to withdraw from? [New poll options added 1-22-08]

The worst opiate/opiod to withdraw from? (New Poll Options)

• Methadone

Votes: 325 27.1%
  • Heroin

Votes: 278 23.2%
  • Oxycodone

Votes: 198 16.5%
  • Hydrocodone

Votes: 54 4.5%
  • Fentanyl

Votes: 83 6.9%
  • Buprenorphine

Votes: 43 3.6%
  • Morphine

Votes: 51 4.3%
  • Others - If so please specify

Votes: 85 7.1%
  • Hydromorphone

Votes: 21 1.8%
  • Poppy Pods

Votes: 47 3.9%
  • Oxymorphone

Votes: 14 1.2%

• Total voters
For those of you have said Pods. How easy is it to get addicted. I have started using them recently. I am on about my third kilogram in 6 weeks, with about 800g left. But I can only do them 3 days on and 3/4 days off because I build a tolerance to them so quick. Surely it must take quite a long time to get addicted doing that.

If I just upped my doseage each time my tolerance grew I would have to use so much I wouldn't be able to afford to get addicted as I couldn't order them online.

Ex-pod user here. Pods are easy to get into trouble with because they stay in your system so long. Short-acting opiates may be more prone to compulsive use/re-dosing, but withdrawals sneak up on you with pods. The duration is closer to methadone, which is notorious for causing long, horrible w/d's.

You shouldn't use pods more than 2x per week at most if you want to completely avoid withdrawals. I quit pods cold turkey after 4 years of daily use and it's not something I'd recommend. There was no puking, shitting or mental cravings, but I was an emotional wreck for the better part of 2 months. I'm talking borderline suicidal and filled with rage. (Not to mention the soul-crushing fatigue, nightmares, cold sweats and head cold symptoms).

Quitting pods is like quitting morphine, codeine and about 20 other opiates at once because they contain so many alkaloids (not all of which are addictive, but many are). Not fun.

methadone no doubt about that, tho the wds from the heroin were almost as bad which is why i got on methadone in the first place. worked my way up to 150mg mtd daily. coming off that shit sucked, i went to the hospital because of it. the fenobarbtal and clonidine did help a little, but would have been fucking nice if i had a suboxone or something.

So I just voted "Other" and it asked me to specify which drug. I've been on massive amounts of Oxycontin for years and quit cold turkey and that was UFB! However, I've recently had my meds switched to Opana ER and the very few times I've had to space out my meds to make it 30 days until my next Rx, I was flat out miserable, and we're only talking an extra few hours. I honestly couldn't imagine having to stop taking them totally. Therefore, I'd have to say Oxymorphone (Opana ER) and btw, I've read where others agree. Not that any of them are a walk in the park, mind you.

I did this once. Once. I squirmed for hours and finally told my wife to take me to an emergency room, but I had enough calming type drugs (non-opiates) that they finally kicked in and I told her to take me back home before we arrived. Worst experience ever, and i have done cold turkey many times.

Methadone by FAR....my godwhy oh why the genius doctors in this county are only *testing* buprenorphine options for opiate replacement therapy recently is beyond me. I begged them for Subutex/Suboxone..begged. but I was filled with sickly green methadone instead. I was on 90mls a day for about 18 months and then i had so many takeaway days that i got down to 50mls in a fortnight, then maybe 20 in another fortnight But while the acute withdrawal from that (buffered by otc codeine and some sleeping pills, loads of Valerian root and herbal medicine) was pretty awful...the PAWS was a nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I was an absolute shambles and my emotions were spilling out, I was suicidal, totally insomniac, drinking like a fish and craving the needle SO bad I injected fucking Tramadol! I've been on Fentanyl, Oxycontin & Morphine for quite some time and always give myself a few weeks 'break' and withdrawing from methadone was by far the worst. Even when I was shooting a months supply of Oxycontin 40mg(2 a day) in a week, I never felt pain or misery as bad and as drawn out as methadone.

I'M NEW HERE i detoxed from methadone but the last day that i took my last 5 mg iI could not resist anxiety so i went and i got high (i been high for last 3 days)i was in the program for 3 years since i could not pay any more they detox me in 10 days and i've been taking NUTRIDONE (vimamins for methadone users)i was doing ok even the day before i took the 5 mg i was thinking i rather have heroin withdrawal than methadone withdrawal any advise please

^You'd best start a thread here to get the best answers. Maybe try doing a forum search first, don't know if you did that already, though your own topic would probably be better because the advice would be more specific for your question. DC isn't really suited and is more of a social subforum. Good luck finding an answer (and detoxing)!

Last edited:
Suboxone by far... and i did 3 years off mmt at 180mg -->140 and went ct. suboxone withdrawals (at 16mg a day for 19 months) were just as bad as dope and lasted for 2.5 months acute with about a year of PAWS. AND IM ON IT AGAIN=(

Damn reading the badness from a methadone withdrawal scares the piss out of me, because on 160 mg and going cold turkey from there is unthinkable plus i am almost sure such a withdrawal would kill me due to cardiac failures and becoming very dehydrated as nothing stays inside also no water and if that stays in for a minute or so then projectile vomiting is another experience i dont like.
I take methadone now for ehh i would say 22 years with on average using about 120 mg methadone a day, but some days i would use 500 mg and other days no more then 75 mg therefore the 120 mg on average daily for 22 years and its my opinion that after such an amount of time on methadone that this causes certain irreversible changes in other words behind such an amount of time on 'done getting off it may never be possible, but i have no intentions to drop it or to even slowly lower it with say 4 mg per week, which is doable only at around 60-70 mg i dont get better anymore so if it ever happens then from there i was thinking of using bupe and lower that one.

It doesn't come as a surprise though to see methadone as opioid with the worst withdrawal, but what i think makes methadone especially bad to withdraw from is that this withdrawal never seems to end and even being in a relative low extent of withdrawal you still feel miserable so the sheer time methadone needs to withdraw from is what breaks many people who try a cold turkey, but it can be done for most.

I did something embarrassing at some point in my life as an addict and that was that for using barbiturates, they are strong enzyme inductors, i was in withdrawal from methadone and with my last money i could buy a fluid amount, but then i drop that amount on the ground and i felt like i sank into the same ground, but no worries i licked the methadone off the ground getting maybe 50 mg inside me from the 150 mg i dropped and for some hours i did feel better and that made my move for myself acceptable.

One last thing about the potency from methadone this stuff is extremely potent and for somebody without opiate tolerance who weighs say 220 pounds then 100 mg methadone, likely less like 70 mg, would OD such a hypothetical person so that's 1 mg per 2.2 pounds bodyweight.
Somebody who get 1,000 mg oral morphine a day could in theory get the same painrelief from 50 mg methadone so that makes methadone 20 times morphine potency, but if somebody gets 100 mg morphine at first then to replace this 1/3 of those 100 mg metahdone will do say 30 mg so see the difference between high and low doses of opiates and how methadone shows itself in potency sense.

One really last thing and then i shut up so what i like to say is that anybody who never had methadone dependency, but have a habit from another opiate then its very easy to lose the other opiate and to take methadone in lowering doses for seven days or ten days if needed and the reasoning behind this is that the methadone will prevent withdrawals from the short acting opiate, but using methadone for 7-10 days does not make you dependent to it so on this way methadone can be used as a tool to lose another opiate habit. So far my 2 cents or maybe a bit more then 2 cents, excuse me i seem to be longwinded, but english is not my native language anmd i like to be clear.

Last edited:
I take Methadone for chronic pain management. 40mg a day, 2 10mg tabs in the morning 2 10mg tabs 8hours later. Ive been on almost all the pharmaceutical opiates but I'm hearing all this terrible info about methadone. My pain management doctor rotates me from one opiate to another every 3-6months to keep my tolerance down. he wants to switch me from methadone to another opiate in thee months, if I start the new opiate at an equivalent dose to the dose of methadone I'm on now, will I suffer the terrible methadone withdrawals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been though WD from nearly every opiate... METHADONE is insanely grueling and drawn out for weeks. I kicked 180 mgs daily cold turkey... and, I had to hide it from my family and girl. I was so depressed for months. All WD's from opiates suck to have to go through, I wish I never would have touched Methadone. I transferred to suboxone for 2 years. Now I am on Nucynta.

No way I could ever go through done WD's again. 90mg was the highest I was ever at and the RLS and bone/muscle pains r unbearable. I think in earlier stages of addiction WD's aren't nearly as bad as they r once you've been through it and u know exactly how bad it's going to be.

Fentanyl. It took me about 3 wks to reduce,and adapt for each 12mcg, starting at 350 mcg per hour over 72 hours. Worse symptoms than H pharmacy origin, meth or anything else. But I take it for pain, and once the dose goes up it's very long to get it dowm. I've had to stop this winter, at 287 mcg, but I'll start reducing come summer. I'm not young, and don't want to finish my days addicted to artificial opiates, now 287 mcg per hours. At least not at such a high dose. Although it only needs my attention every 72 hours, for me it's too much time. I didn't realise the difficulties in reducing the dose when I chose it as a pain killer, for which it is a very good drug, in view of the limited selection in this country (France); that or morphine gelules, which I don't control very well. I'd hate being admitted to a center for anti-addiction, and apart from that, they're very rare here, and I wouldn't stay, knowing myself, more than an hour or two. I spent too much time ion hospital, so it is out of the question to return. All I ask is that you wish me luck for summer and that I get under the 200 mcg this year.
Silly that 20 years ago it would have been a blessing, and is now a curse ;)

Last edited:
Is LAAM stil around in North America ? ( I believe the vast majority of you ppl are from either the US or CAN) If the longer the hal life of a subs, is the worse the WDs are (as per ME) it must rank first.

^I don't think it is. It was withdrawn from the market, because it could cause some heart related issues.

Im 29. Been using iv heroin for 15 years. Ive been on met, orLAAM, detox etc. my mother opened a methadone clinic called red cedar. Ive kicked 186 mgs cold turkey. Im from the midwest where we have raw. Over 2 weeks ago i went to portland or, quitting my 5 year met stint. I got strung out on tar there, came back and got strung out on powder again. Ive only been back a few days. Methadone IS THE WORST. Its not subjective. Its like that for everyone. And if u accidentally get narcan at the hospital, 1,000 times worse than if you get it on dope. Its happened to me a few times. Once i had a heart attack, seizure and my pulse was over 200. I woke ip in the cardiac unit. Its the same if u take suboxone due to the naltraxone. But its the only thing that can cure alot of long term users. Im sick now. Im waiting for my girl to get home from work and bring dope. I wish i never got on met. But they put me on it in the hospital when i was 17 because i had cellulitis in my arm. It really is a liquid ball and chain.

Tramadol should really be on that list.

For people who have the enzyme to break tramadol down efficiently, you feel like you took an OC 80, a quarter dose of MDMA, and little bit of some long-lasting coke. For others they get nothin out of it, which is why there's so much confusion if it's a pussy drug, or something more hard. The answer is it depends on your body. It's not like OCs were everyone will nod if you give them enough.

Tramadol is an opioid, but much more. 8 different mechanisms of action. It was made by those crazy Germans (originally I thought it was developed in Russia first.. feel a little more comfortable about its German origin gotta say).

Tramadol WDs last longer than any other opioid and the WDs are as harsh as they come, ask people who've been on it 5+ years, some originally told is was a non habit forming drug with little/no risk of WDs.