The traktor logo totally looks like... (aka the EMD social thread)

Didn't really do much for me to be honest. I blame the Plump DJs - not because their productions were bad - far from it - they produced some phenomenal tracks. But they spawned the 'funky breaks' genre, which mainly consists of other artists doing poor imitations of the Plump DJs. I'm sorry to say that I think this Eshericks remix is one such track :(

- your own production that you posted a while back in this thread was far better than this Eshericks remix imo

:)

haha, thanks dude, but I respectfully disagree. I don't think that remix sounds anything like plump DJs either. that part where it really drops in at 2:07... oh man, I can just imagine what that is going to do to a dancefloor.

Plump DJs didnt start breaks. Ya they made it large, and they were amazing at it, but you cant really say that every breaks artist after that is a just a cheap imitation.

Plump DJs didnt start breaks. Ya they made it large, and they were amazing at it, but you cant really say that every breaks artist after that is a just a cheap imitation.

I didn't mean they started breaks (that would be Rennie Pilgrem and the Bassbin Twins :) ). I meant that they started the subgenre 'funky breaks', most of which I dislike (although the Plump DJs own tracks, which started the subgenre, are really good :) )

The rhythm in the Eshericks track is a little more ploddy than your average 'funky breaks' track (it actually reminds me of 'The Drum' by Soul Of Man, which I definitely consider to be 'funky breaks'), but the bouncy sounds in it definitely make it a 'funky breaks' track imo.

Man you've got me listening to my old Plump DJs mix CDs for the first time in years!!! - their 'Elastic Breaks' CD is phenomenal - that's how funky breaks should be done!!! - there's actually a track on there that reminds me of your 'How High Bootleg' - 'Wanna Do It' by DJ Icey - real party breaks!!!!!

^great track. the groovediggerz remix of the drum is one of my all time favourites too, actually. not too crazy about the original,

i used to be totally crazy about plumps, but I got kind of sick of them. I need more energy and heavier basslines. I've been getting really into specimen A and all those funkatech guys recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoD1yLaqipY

I used to be massively into breaks from about 2001-2006. My favourite breaks DJs were Adam Freeland, Lee Coombs, and Hybrid (although all of those used to play other styles as well as breaks).

One of my best mates was a breaks DJ, and I spent many hours round his house listening to him DJ, so I really had my finger on the pulse for a while. But he got into 'heavy breaks' around 2005 (the likes of The Autobots and The Breakfastaz), and I really wasn't into them at all.

- you may have even heard of a night called 'Fuse' that used to run in Manchester (maybe it still does?), which was at the heart of the heavy breaks scene. I went there once (around 2005/2006), and I will admit the music had a lot of energy.............but y'know............I like the occasional blissed-out moment, rather than just constant fast breakbeats and relentless basslines (some of the DJs that night were also scratching on top of all this). I actually remember thinking that the music there sounded like slowed-down drum n bass (it was significantly faster than most breaks - could easily have been 150bpm).

The last 'breaks' artist I got into in a big way was Evil Nine (and a lot of their stuff actually has a 4/4 beat). But that was 5-6 years ago.

Boom festival looks so awesome. I wanna go so bad. It's like europe's answer to burning man.

slick tune. I actually know treavor, I'll see if I can get ahold of him.

OMFG Vince Watson is coming to Manchester next weekend!!! Fuck yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man, where have these guys been?! I just discovered Konstress on beatport. OMFG so much great minimal. the good, psychedelic shit that really gets into your head. Check out Komfortable Negative Side, Davy Back Fight, Shoot Your Local DJ (fucking AWESOME track name), Black Brina. Just a TON of good shit.

I also just recently rediscovered Speciman A and the whole funkatech crew. oh man that stuff is HYPE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoD1yLaqipY

so what's the verdict? is kevinkostner trolling or is his taste in music really that bad? i'm on the fence (leaning towards trolling).

lol, i think kostner is for real. either way his posts always bring a smile to my face. =)

so what's the verdict? is kevinkostner trolling or is his taste in music really that bad? i'm on the fence (leaning towards trolling).

He's trolling. I mean - look at what he wrote in the Official Beginners DJing Thread:

'Real quick question: I don't usually get a glipse at what decks they use in the clubs but is it acceptable to use a cd mixer for a gig or no? i've been wanting to start fucking around and eventually even get like a 3am-4am time slot at a club but i dont feel like going vinyl cuz i would hate to buy vinyl

cd mixing acceptable and whats suggested for beginner?

i know i'll be a good dj cause i'm gonna be dancing my as off while i work the decks and getting people hyped up. '

It doesn't take a genius to see that he's taking the piss bigtime.

If you search through some of his posts, you'll see that he's not just trolling EMD - he's actually trolling the whole of Bluelight.